Updates
Welcome to Charming
Welcome to Charming, the year is now 1894. It’s time to join us and immerse yourself in scandal and drama interlaced with magic both light and dark.

Where will you fall?

Featured Stamp

Add it to your collection...

Did You Know?
Queen Victoria was known for putting jackets and dresses on her pups, causing clothing for dogs to become so popular that fashion houses for just dog clothes started popping up all over Paris. — Fox
It would be easy to assume that Evangeline came to the Lady Morgana only to pick fights. That wasn't true at all. They also had very good biscuits.
Check Your Privilege

Sorting - But Nerdier!
tl;dr: I'm a nerd! Try this new sorting quiz and have your mind blown! I'm a Ravenclaw Primary who models Gryffindor and a Gryffindor Secondary that models Slytherin.

The only thing I love more than a good sorting is a sorting that explains itself and defines its terms. Ever get tired of these?
  • OMG! You like, have friends and, like probably follow basic human rules, lols. You must be a Hufflepuff!
  • You've read a book! Ravenclaw, you nerd, you must not be able to make friends, life is so hard you bookish introvert.
Yeah, it's reductive and ridiculous.

Welcome to Sorting Hat Chats! Started by two friends several years ago as a blog where they would just nerd out on sorting, Kat and Emily have designed a crazy elaborate system that tackles sorting in a new way.

Basically, you have a Primary house that is your "why/motivations" and your Secondary house is your "how/methods." Also, they emphasize that neither is more important, they are just different facets of your personality. They also stress the importance of choice. Remember how Harry was freaking out about being a Slytherin? Yeah, choice.

So, I am very close between a Ravenclaw and Burned Gryffindor Primary. The difference if the level to which I go with my gut. From my results:

Ravenclaws do not lack an intuitive sense of morality or gut feeling about things, but they distrust those instincts and have a need to ignore or to dig down deep and dissect those internal moral impulses. Living within their built moral system is as important to a Ravenclaw as to a Gryffindor; it’s the source of the morality that differs between them– what they trust.

A Burned Gryffindor has lost confidence in their own internal moral compass. They’d prefer a reality where they could trust their gut and themself, and just do good-- but they live in the real world. Things are too complicated. So they build, find, or invest in an outward morality-- a code, a religion, a philosophy, or another person. This means they can look a lot like the Ravenclaw, relying on an externally constructed morality. However, while Ravenclaws are comfortable and satisfied by this external system, for Gryffindors prioritizing external systems is a pale, disappointing comparison to being able to trust themself.

And I'm a Gryffindor Secondary.

Gryffindor Secondaries are more likely to change their volume than their content. They can hold their tongue. They can be polite, patient, proper people—but when the going gets rough or the rough get going you can find a Gryffindor Secondary by the way their problems are met head on rather than subverted, negotiated, or cajoled. They have an efficiency so direct it can be almost combative.

Gryffindor secondaries can be subtle, skilled, and even quiet, but they will cut to the core of things unflinchingly. They will sacrifice social harmony, reputation, and peace before they sacrifice their own outward integrity.

That first line? I feel seen heard?. I could also be a Slytherin Secondary because I am the queen of situational code switching. The big difference between the Slytherin and Gryffindor Secondary? The Gryffindor Secondary can feel slimy when they have to wear some of their masks or can feel like they're lying.

There are also Models!

A model is a toolset you're borrowing from another House. It may come pretty naturally to your hand, if it's been part of your life long enough, but you mostly use it for utility. You don't find yourself using these techniques and behaviors except when you think they'll come in handy. They're not valuable, enjoyable, and worthwhile for their own inherent sake.

I model Gryffindor Primary and Slytherin Secondary.

Gryffindor House is the house of justice and bravery. If you model Gryffindor Primary, you also value these things and like to live by them-- but you wouldn't feel guilty for dropping those goals in the service of your own priorities (whether that's sticking by your chosen family or stopping your emotional biases from sending you down the wrong path). But you'd like to value these things. They're good, solid, and satisfying. If the phrase "some things are just wrong" appeals to you, you might be a Gryffindor or have Gryffindor model.

Slytherin secondary is the house of making it up as you go along. Slytherins find it better to keep their options open and see how things progress before making a decision, and tend to be quick on their feet. Whether or not they enjoy literal improv, they take their cues from the people around them, and respond to them and the situation on its own terms.

Learn more here: The "Basics" (it's a deep dive, don't be fooled)
Their First Podcast

The following 2 users Like Hermia Bonaccord's post:
   Amelia Evans, Dorothea Birdwhistle

[Image: 8hJrlbS.jpg]
Lady is a genius
I haven't gotten into the modelling aspect but I do remember looking into this forever ago and actually think I got the exact same things, so yes I'm feeling it xD Which would make me a Gryffindor primary (maaaybe burned?) and 100% a Ravenclaw secondary.

Which suits, I've always been on that Gryffinclaw intersection with the "wants to change the world and trusts my intuition" but in terms of method I am a hardcore stereotypical Ravenclaw who loves nerdery.

edit: oooooooof the more I read now on the blog the more sure I am about being a Gryffindor primary, I feel called out

gorgeous set by Lady!
I didn't go suuuper detailed with this but I did the quiz on my phone and got burned Gryffindor primary, Slytherin secondary. Which probably doesn't surprise you all if you know me xD

I feel like this is calling me out xD

Quote:We think you're a Burned Hufflepuff Primary and a Slytherin Secondary.

A burned Hufflepuff can look a lot like an unburned Slytherin: a small, close-knit community of friends and family who they will do anything for; someone who doesn’t hold themselves responsible for the plights and struggles of strangers. A burned Hufflepuff has shrunk their circle of responsibility down to a manageable level. However, while that set-up is morally satisfying to a Slytherin, a Hufflepuff who has burned feels selfish when they abandon people who need them in order to prioritize the people they love most.

Slytherin Secondaries adapt. They're flexible and multi-faceted. It doesn't feel disingenuous to them to act differently in different spaces.

You also may have a Hufflepuff Primary Model. You may have a Slytherin Secondary Model.

Hufflepuff House is the house of fairness and loyalty, and Hufflepuffs use those values to help them determine what the right thing to do is. If you model Hufflepuff Primary, you also value these things and like to live by them. You probably have a community, culture, or group that's really important to you-- but you wouldn't feel guilty for abandoning your community and its values in the service of other, higher priorities (whether that's sticking by your chosen family, following what your logic tells you, or crusading after a cause that calls to you). But you'd like to value the communal loyalty and even-handness of a Hufflepuff. It's good, solid, and satisfying. It would be nice if you could stick with people and help those in need-- but you have other, more important things to do sometimes, and you don't feel bad about that.

Slytherin secondary is the house of making it up as you go along. Slytherins find it better to keep their options open and see how things progress before making a decision, and tend to be quick on their feet. Whether or not they enjoy literal improv, they take their cues from the people around them, and respond to them and the situation on its own terms. This doesn’t feel dishonest or fake, it feels playful, effective, and adaptive.

set by MJ <3
I got Hufflepuff Primary and Burned Hufflepuff Secondary with Ravenclaw Secondary Model and I think the descriptions are pretty accurate for myself.
Quote:We think you're a Hufflepuff Primary and a Burned Hufflepuff Secondary.

Hufflepuff Primaries bond to communities, traditions, or cultures. They prioritize fairness and equality, treating people justly because people are people-- not because they like one person more than others.

A Burned Hufflepuff Secondary might want to be reliable, hard-working, and trustworthy, but they feel like they are (or like people think they are) flaky, shaky, or flighty. Doing things steadily and well-- showing up-- is the right way to achieve their goals, but Burned Puffs know that's not going to work within their capabilities. So they take other paths and use other tools-- maybe a Gryffindor's bluntness, a Slytherin's flexibility, or a Ravenclaw's collection of skills and tools.

You may have a Ravenclaw Secondary Model.

Ravenclaw is the House of data collection, analysis, and study, and Ravenclaws use those values to help them live, act, and succeed. If you model Ravenclaw Secondary, you also value these things and like to live by them. You like to be prepared, skilled, and knowledgeable-- but you wouldn't feel guilty for abandoning those values in the service of other, higher priorities. It would be nice if you could prioritize aquiring skills and experiences, learning, and preparing, but sometimes other things are more important or come more easily to your hand.

If you model Ravenclaw secondary, then you use these tools primarily when you think they will help or when they will be fun, but are less likely to jump to them when another way could be just as effective—- whether that’s confronting your problem head-on, playing things by ear, toiling, or calling on your community.

Slytherin primary modelling Gryffindor, burned (maybe) Slytherin secondary modelling Hufflepuff.

Apparently I want nothing to do with Ravenclaw xD

Quote:Slytherin Primaries prioritize their own selves and loved ones first. Slytherins don't feel guilty or selfish about this-- they feel righteous and moral. The most important thing is to look after your own. Abandoning or hurting one of your own is the worst thing you can do.

A Burned Slytherin Secondary might want to be flexible, adaptable, and clever, but they feel like they are (or like people think they are) clumsy, unobservant, or blunt. Adapting to fit the needs of their situation is the right way to achieve their goals, but Burned Slytherins know that's not going to work within their capabilities. So they take other paths and use other tools-- maybe a Gryffindor's bluntness, a Hufflepuff's reliable dedication, or a Ravenclaw's collection of skills and tools.

Gryffindor House is the house of justice and bravery. If you model Gryffindor Primary, you also value these things and like to live by them-- but you wouldn't feel guilty for dropping those goals in the service of your own priorities (whether that's sticking by your chosen family or stopping your emotional biases from sending you down the wrong path). But you'd like to value these things. They're good, solid, and satisfying. If the phrase "some things are just wrong" appeals to you, you might be a Gryffindor or have Gryffindor model.

Hufflepuff is the House of grit, reliability, and determination, and Hufflepuffs use those values to help live, act, and succeed. If you model Hufflepuff Secondary, you also value these things and like to live by them. You like to be hardworking, dedicated, and consistent-- but you wouldn't feel guilty for abandoning those values in the service of other, higher priorities. If there's another, easier way to get what you want-- you'd take it. You think hard work provides valuable rewards-- and those rewards are why you work. The work doesn't have persuasive value in itself.

The following 1 user Likes Ursula Black's post:
   Roberto Devine

I'll have to take the quiz again to delve into the models and get the descriptions, but I'm a burned hufflepuff primary and a burned ravenclaw secondary.

Welp. Kind of makes sense why I was Gryffindor on old Pottermore and Ravenclaw on new if burned Gryffindor can present as Ravenclaw.
[Image: Screenshot-20200707-075555-2.png]

[Image: gmun6e3.png]

MJ, yet again working her magic.  <3 <3 Thank you
I started the test but then I super confused myself so I started again xD

After much contemplation, it felt the truest for me that I model Ravenclaw primary and a burned Gryffindor primary

Ravenclaw Primaries have a constructed system that they test their decisions against before they feel comfortable calling something right. This system might be constructed by them, or it might have been taught to them as children, or it might have been discovered by them some point later in life (a philosophy, a culture, a legal system, a religion, a story). But it gives them a way to frame the world and a confidence in their ability to interact with it morally.

Ravenclaws do not lack an intuitive sense of morality or gut feeling about things, but they distrust those instincts and have a need to ignore or to dig down deep and dissect those internal moral impulses. Living within their built moral system is as important to a Ravenclaw as to a Gryffindor; it’s the source of the morality that differs between them– what they trust.

Ravenclaw House is the house of logic and knowledge, and Ravenclaws use those values to help them determine what the right thing to do is. If you model Ravenclaw Primary, you also value these things and like to live by them-- but you wouldn't feel guilty for ignoring what your logic tells you in the service of your own priorities (whether that's sticking by your chosen family, preserving your community values, or crusading after a cause that calls to you). But you'd like to value the structured morality of a Ravenclaw. It's good, solid, and satisfying. It would be nice if the world was simple enough you could solve it with logic alone-- but you have other, most "felt" motivations and morals to fall back on.

Gryffindor Primaries trust their moral intuitions and have a need and a drive to live by them. They feel what’s right in their gut, and that matters and guides them. If they don’t listen to and act on that, it feels immoral.

We call Gryffindor morality “felt” but that doesn’t mean they’re all impetuous, emotional hellions. Gryffindors can still be intelligent, deliberate creatures who weigh their decisions and moralities carefully. Reasoning, intellectualizing and debate can be support for a Gryffindor’s felt morality– but those things can never make a fully satisfying morality in themselves. Some things are just wrong, no matter what pretty words you use to explain them.

A burned Gryffindor still thinks it’s important to try to do the right thing. They just have some doubts, insecurities, or cynicism around the idea that anyone can know what “right” is. The world would be easier if they could trust their gut, but they know they can’t. They still strive to do what they can, and often build a constructed morality system (or adopt an external legal, philosophical, or religious code) in order to live as well as possible. But unlike a Ravenclaw Primary, who would be satisfied and righteous using this external system, a burned Gryffindor will always be disappointed and even guilty using this out-sourced moral system.

The secondary was easier and I got Ravenclaw which sounds pretty close to me!

Ravenclaws are collectors. Dedicated to knowledge, to facts, systems, tools, or skills, the things they have already learned are what they call on when things get tough. They can collect useful skills, build complex clever systems, invent vitally useful things, or just learn everything there is to know about the birds of South America.

Ravenclaws’ efficacy often relies on what situation they are in: what the problem is they have to solve and whether or not they’ve prepared the proper tools for that problem. While Hufflepuffs and Gryffindors can apply their skills at stockpiling trust or inspiring passion to attack various situations, Ravenclaws’ tools are necessarily task specific. Do they know how to ride horses? Speak Greek? Do they have contingency plans for earthquakes, zombie apocalypses, or a surprise visit from the in-laws?

If they’ve already built themselves a tool set for a situation, they’re likely to excel at it. If they have not, they’re likely to blink a few times while they try to either invent something new for themselves or to cobble up something approximate from their existing resources.

Ravenclaws, like Hufflepuff Secondaries, are at their best when they can prepare before the problems show up, not improvise or invent in the moment. Where Hufflepuffs invest in reputation, community, and effort, Ravenclaws invest in tools. These tools can vary from detailed knowledge of modern Romance languages, Mesopotamian history, Gothic architecture, and US civil court legal procedures; or mastering the skills of carjacking, gourmet vegan cooking, juggling, and staying level-headed in crisis; or keeping internal (or external) databases on their friends’, allies’, and enemies’ likes, dislikes, connections, obligations, fears, weaknesses, strengths, and goals. Some of these are more useful than others. Ravenclaws can collect their tools with the aim of eventual usefulness, but are likely to also collect knowledge just for the sake of knowledge.

Ruby-MJ
set by MJ
So apparently, I am a Gryffindor Primary with a Hufflepuff Primary Model and a Hufflepuff Secondary, which honestly makes a lot of sense. xD

We think you're a Gryffindor Primary and a Hufflepuff Secondary.

Gryffindor Primaries care about their gut morality. They want to do the right thing, and they think part of that answer comes from trusting yourself. They can still be thoughtful, careful, and rational, but they have a strong belief in the value of moral compasses. Some things are just wrong, no matter how many pretty words you use.

Hufflepuff Secondaries work. They're the ones who show up, reliable and trusted.

You also may have a Hufflepuff Primary Model.

Hufflepuff House is the house of fairness and loyalty, and Hufflepuffs use those values to help them determine what the right thing to do is. If you model Hufflepuff Primary, you also value these things and like to live by them. You probably have a community, culture, or group that's really important to you-- but you wouldn't feel guilty for abandoning your community and its values in the service of other, higher priorities (whether that's sticking by your chosen family, following what your logic tells you, or crusading after a cause that calls to you). But you'd like to value the communal loyalty and even-handness of a Hufflepuff. It's good, solid, and satisfying. It would be nice if you could stick with people and help those in need-- but you have other, more important things to do sometimes, and you don't feel bad about that.

[Image: Sz4O4dC.png]
avatar & signature created by the talented mj
So I took this quiz last night and Chris def called me out with some of these questions xDD

I'm a Ravenclaw Primary:

Quote:Ravenclaw Primaries have a constructed system that they test their decisions against before they feel comfortable calling something right. This system might be constructed by them, or it might have been taught to them as children, or it might have been discovered by them some point later in life (a philosophy, a culture, a legal system, a religion, a story). But it gives them a way to frame the world and a confidence in their ability to interact with it morally.

For a while, it said it thought I was a Slytherin Primary, which would make sense when you take into the account that the most recent Pottermore quiz I took said I was Slytherin. But when I went over the description, it didn't seem a whole lot like me, so I investigated Hufflepuff. That also didn't really pan out to anything, so I investigated Gryffindor. Same thing, the quiz didn't think I fit there either. I tried all of them cause I didn't want to be biased and I wanted to verify all of them, but now that I'm writing this out, I realize that's probably why I'm a Ravenclaw Primary.

At first, I was a little cautious cause I really DO like to trust my instincts and gut, but Chris pointed out that I tend to use that as the last item on the checklist of making decisions. That I like to consult other people's opinions first, then ask myself what my instincts/gut are telling me and then decide, and yeah that tracks... mostly this whole quiz was me trying to rationalize answers and Chris going "YOU'RE EXEMPLIFYING THIS ANSWER IN YOUR ACTIONS RIGHT NOW, JUST CLICK IT"

Also this question: "When you're making a decision and you're stuck, what should you do?" and this answer: "I don't make decisions. I freewheel through life on a bicycle with no brakes. Help." is such a goddamn mood.

and I'm a Burned Hufflepuff Secondary:

Quote:A Burned Hufflepuff Secondary might want to be reliable, hard-working, and trustworthy, but they feel like they are (or like people think they are) flaky, shaky, or flighty. Doing things steadily and well-- showing up-- is the right way to achieve their goals, but Burned Puffs know that's not going to work within their capabilities. So they take other paths and use other tools-- maybe a Gryffindor's bluntness, a Slytherin's flexibility, or a Ravenclaw's collection of skills and tools.

They can even find joy in these borrowed tools-- but there's a method they value more and wish came easier to their hand. They may feel disingenuous or like they're not living up to their own standards or potential. They might also feel jaded, wise, and practical. The important thing is that the methods they think are "correct" are not the ones they use, but if they were better (or the world was better) then they would.

This also makes sense because the quiz said that Slytherins look a lot like Burned Hufflepuffs, but that their circle of friends is smaller for the simple fact that the world is too large and they can't be assed (this was more my words than the quizzes, but same sort of result xD). Again this makes sense because I got Slytherin on my most recent Pottermore quiz. Also the "might want to be reliable, hard-working and trustworthy but they feel like they are (or like people think they are) flaky, shaky or flighty" is the callout that I really didn't need in this quiz.

In other news, Chris took the quiz and got Burned Gryffindor Primary with a Gryffindor Secondary....so I think it's safe to say what house he belongs in.

[Image: gvM7opq.png]
(August 31, 2020 – 4:22 AM)Amelia Evans Wrote:  mostly this whole quiz was me trying to rationalize answers and Chris going "YOU'RE EXEMPLIFYING THIS ANSWER IN YOUR ACTIONS RIGHT NOW, JUST CLICK IT"

Also this question: "When you're making a decision and you're stuck, what should you do?" and this answer: "I don't make decisions. I freewheel through life on a bicycle with no brakes. Help." is such a goddamn mood.

This whole quiz is a creepy 'mirror up to nature' scenario. So many moments of existential crisis every time I take the stupid thing. I am an instinctual person, but to me, it feels rational. What looks like a random leap to someone else is an obvious step-by-step journey for me that just happens in a split second. I ALWAYS struggle with that freaking question.

The following 1 user Likes Hermia Bonaccord's post:
   Amelia Evans

[Image: 8hJrlbS.jpg]
Lady is a genius

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
View a Printable Version