Updates
Welcome to Charming
Welcome to Charming, the year is now 1894. It’s time to join us and immerse yourself in scandal and drama interlaced with magic both light and dark.

Where will you fall?

Featured Stamp

Add it to your collection...

Did You Know?
It’s quite unusual for a caster's patronus to be their favourite animal, but very possible that it will take the shape of a creature they’ve never before seen or heard of. — Amy
As he fell, Ford recalled the trials of Gulliver during his interactions with the Lilliputians.
Potato Wars

See Inside
animagi, animagus, animaginum;; [O.W.L Transfiguration, 3RD, 4TH & 5TH YEARS]
September 4, 1893 — Transfiguration classroom, morning
For the first class of the new term - this year his OWL students - Basil had put in extra effort to tidy the room. His usually chaotic desk, a veritable paper bomb, had been transformed into a neat stack of carefully arranged texts. On the board behind his desk, he had scribbled out this week's assignment and had attempted, with somewhat unfortunate artistic skills, to draw an image resembling a cat.

As students began to trickle into the classroom, Basil nodded towards the familiar faces who greeted him and asked about his summer. He gave a vague answer, mentioning that his holiday had been rather uneventful, conveniently leaving out the fact that he had been bedridden from July through August (and any chaos before that, which was certainly not for their delicate ears). In return, he enjoyed hearing about the travels they had embarked upon during the break.

As the hour struck and everyone found their seats, Basil settled himself in front of the desk and leaned upon it, beaming at the gathered students.

"Good morning, everyone, and welcome back. I trust you have all had a pleasant holiday and have returned prepared to engage in the study of a rather unique branch of Transfiguration!" (He paused for a moment, half-expecting groans for his enthusiasm.)

"In today's lesson, we shall commence our exploration of Animagi,” Basil gestured towards his unfortunate drawing casually. “Transfiguration, as you know, is the art of transforming one object into another, but Animagi take this artistry to a different level by assuming the form of animals.

Before we proceed, can anyone outline some semblance of the necessary steps or process one must follow to become a successful Animagus?”

The following 2 users Like Basil Foxwood's post:
   Millie Potts, Violetta DeCroix

Violetta sat at the bench amongst the other fourth years waiting for the start of this class. It was one of the first of the new term and a subject that the young woman had been advised to up well on in advance of attending. The powers of the animagum were curious indeed, the ability to assume the guise and abilities of other animals was powerful, although Violette could not find it in herself to have any desire to run around on all fours covered in fur.

"Tout cela semble horrible" She muttered under her breath in a manner that only her nearest desk mates might here.

At least she did know the answer to the question posed by the professor, it was on the first page of her notes that she had made for the class. She raised her hand before speaking. Her strong French accented English coming through confidently. "Sir, the wizard can become Animagi by first holding the leaf of the Mandragore plant in their mouth for a month. Once this is done they use the leaf to make a potion. The wizard must recite the correct incantation every day throughout the process. The last step is to drink the potion during a lightning storm." She checked her notes again to see if there was anything she had missed, but that seemed to cover the question as far as she was aware.

"I am not sure how the leaf survives as month in the mouth, I don't think I would like to try it." She smiled and looked at the teacher trying to judge his response to her answer. Violetta had not quite believed it to begin with so had checked it at least twice, so hopefully it was correct.

The following 2 users Like Violetta DeCroix's post:
   Basil Foxwood, Millie Potts

[Image: 3RXDJOR.png]
Cordelia paled when she realized they would be talking about animagi. Wasn't that quite advanced? She wouldn't be expected to become one, would she?! Though the Ravenclaw was keen academically, practical magic remained an uphill battle even after three years of study. Even were she gifted, Cora did not think this would be an avenue to explore: in her estimation, transforming oneself was unnatural in ways magic itself was not quite, and her stomach turned at the prospect.

The following 3 users Like Cordelia Best's post:
   Basil Foxwood, Draconia Yarwood, Millie Potts
Professor Foxwood was the hardest one to face on Monday, especially after seeing him so irate and disappointed in his House on Friday night. Nevertheless, she persevered. Millie was faced with a professional, even eager, Transfiguration professor who seemed to waste no time at all jumping into his lesson. For that, she was exceedingly grateful.

In the span of a few minutes, the young witch found herself enamored as well. She enjoyed transfiguration, and found herself quite good at it, but the pinnacle of the art was transfiguring the self entirely. An animagus was the hardest, most strenuous way to prove prowess in the field. It was also what Millie sometimes found herself dreaming of achieving, something that no one else in her family could do. Something that could be hers, alone.

As she penned her notes, Millie heard the muttered French from her Slytherin classmate. Though she had never learned, enough of the foreign terms resembled words the young witch could understand. She turned a frown toward Violetta, who was already answering Professor Foxwood's question. Millie hurried back to her notes, concentrating hard to parse the other girl's accented speech, only needing the professor's approval to ensure her notes would be acccurate.

A mandrake leaf must be held in the mouth for a month.

The young witch circled the last phrase to be sure of it. A whole month! She wondered how the leaf didn't simply digest itself right there in the mouth. Millie put her pen down before she splattered ink over her page by shuddering at the disgusting thought.

The following 1 user Likes Millie Potts's post:
   Basil Foxwood

[Image: Aoane36.png]
Connie was not exactly an abysmal student, but she also didn't put in effort into things that didn't interest her academically. As such, she went through periods were she did really well on some assignments because she was interested, and others where she was barely scraping by. Transfiguration was one of those classes. She loved the practical aspects, but sometimes lost her interest in all the theory.

That day was different. Her leg was bouncing underneath her desk, so full she was of momentum and excitement on the topic being taught. Apart from becoming a magizoologist and spending time with magical creatures, her other big dream in life was to become an animagus. So she happily listened to Miss DeCroix describe the process of becoming an animagus, taking careful notes underneath the dragon and puffskein doodles she'd managed to get on the page's margins while something useful wasn't being said.

"Professor, professor!" Connie said so she would be called as well. "You're also supposed to say 'Amato Anino - Amato Animo Animato Animagus in the end!" she was practically out of breath and with a huge grin on her face, as saying all that at once had felt like doing circus gymnastics.

The following 2 users Like Draconia Yarwood's post:
The OWL students were generally a mixed batch, Basil found each year. Some were very keen and interested in advancing to NEWTS while others were ready to just finish with the foundational requirement and move on. This was the reason he generally saved learning about animagus for this first term. It was a topic most students seemed interested in, enough at least to capture their attention for a good portion of the term, and too it was imperative that any young witch or wizard be educated on the concept prior to going out into the magical world. If they didn’t want to pursue further study in the matter that was just fine, but at least they were well informed.

Nodding towards Ms. DeCroix as she answered the question, Basil was pleased to hear that someone had done their readings. “Well done, Ms. DeCroix, five points to Slytherin,” he praised. “It is truly an odd thought to consider holding a leaf in one’s mouth for that length of time,” he added, chuckling, “but Mandrake leaves have unique properties that are resistant to a degree against human saliva and the deterioration process. I’m sure Professor Skeeter would be more than happy to elaborate on the subject in your next Herbology lesson.” And, though Basil himself was an amateur herbologist in his free time - a little known fact, really - he figured he’d leave the explanation to the professionals. As for Ms. Yarwood nearly bursting out of her seat, Basil turned to the Hufflepuff and smiled again.

“That is correct, thank you Ms. Yarwood,” he nodded. “Five points to Hufflepuff as well.” Turning to the blackboard, Basil muttered something at the chalk and it leapt to life leading the charge in taking notes as he spoke. “In order to become a successful animagus, there is a lot of preparatory work to be done in both understanding the theory as well as in conducting a thorough practicum. For this course we will only be learning the theory, however if anyone is interested in taking a step further to actually become an animagus, I am resuming the first Thursday group study sessions to assist all those who wish to undergo the process. And,” Basil paused with an eager glint in his grey eyes. “This is the year I shall be undertaking the attempt myself, so we shall learn together.” He laughed a bit, amused by the very thought. Then, leaning against the front of his desk, the brunette dove into his lecture.

“Now, the foundational theory consists of three parts…” and so on and so forth. Eventually, the speech came to its natural end and Basil paused, waiting for the scribbling of quills to die down. “As for your first, and arguably most important assignment this term, I’d like everyone to please chose an individual who has completed the animagus process - it can be a famous theorist, a relative, or anyone in between - and submit a thoroughly researched essay providing an analysis of the transformation, its general application, and any benefits or detriments that have been derived from this magical skill in the individual’s life. You may choose to work alone or with a partner, but only in groups of two or three, no more. Remember to include source citations and document all research thoroughly. The assignment will be due December 13th, just before the end of term. I encourage everyone to consider some in-person interviews with those around them who have been through the process - friends, professors, relatives, etc - especially during those free Hogsmeade weekends of yours. House points will be given to anyone who can add an extra layer of depth by weaving in a personal account. Any questions?”

* Inadvertent thread prompt for OWL students all of term lol. HMU if you need people to interview or want to expand on this with Basil himself. +15 pts to anyone who actually writes a thread around this prompt and completes it (same Charming stipulations, at least 10 posts in the thread and 3 your own etc.) But remember to PM it to me, because I'm crap at sussing them out. <3

Millie Potts, Violetta DeCroix
Anne did her best not to roll her eyes as Violet quoted some book in her head. Anne didn't dislike the French; she found the language needlessly flowery and found their muggles rather pathetic soldiers, but that was closer to 'pity' than 'dislike' for Anne. That, and Violet had pronounced her name wrong when they met. Anne hadn't quite let that go.

Anne knew most of the details, and she assumed any child raised magical would have investigated by now. How rubbish at magic would you need to be to not want to try? Anne made a few scribbles in her notes about the essay (why was it always essays?) and then punched her hand into the air. "Professor, when do we start practicing?"

The following 2 users Like Anne Moony's post:

[Image: rOjzpw3.png]
MJ about made me cry with this one!

Violetta grinned as she was awarded points for her correct answer and she took a moment to underline the correct information in her book. It was fascinating that the leaf would hold itself for that long, very curious. "Professor, what does the leaf taste like?" she questioned, it still didn't sound good to her.

She looked around as Anne Moony also asked a question, she looked at her and grinned, "I assume after we have held the leaf for the recommended time, non?" She half expected Miss moody to stick her tongue out at her with a soggy leaf on it, she was obviously keen. An essay on the subject would prove interesting, the French girl wasn't aware of anyone directly related to her that was an animagus, although she would likely be able to find someone who would be a suitable subject to write upon.

The following 1 user Likes Violetta DeCroix's post:
   Basil Foxwood

[Image: 3RXDJOR.png]
The question Ms. DeCroix posed was a curious one. Basil hummed to himself in thought. “I suppose… a bit like any other herb. Bitter, earthy, with just a touch of spice.” He hadn’t been particularly keen on the flavor himself, but it wasn’t as repugnant as some might think. There were teas made of the leaves in some countries though Basil himself was not inclined to buy it himself.

Ms. Moony’s question however was one Basil had been anticipating. He smiled in her direction. “We won’t actually, not as a class at least.” Basil made a vague gesture to the group as a whole. “It is not required or expected for OWL students to become an animagus, only to study and understand the principals and theory involved. I do however encourage each of you who may be interested in further pursuing the craft to see me outside of class and consider joining our support group.”

With that, Basil pulled his pocket watch from within his waistcoat. “Ah, it seems we’ve wrapped up for the day just in time.” An unusual occurrence, seeing as his lectures sometimes tended to run a bit long. “You are all dismissed.

* Inadvertent thread prompt for OWL students all of term cont. HMU if you need people to interview or want to expand on this with Basil himself. +15 pts to anyone who actually writes a thread around this prompt and completes it (same Charming stipulations, at least 10 posts in the thread and 3 your own etc.) But remember to PM it to me, because I'm crap at sussing them out. <3 Also, I have no deadline to this-- before the beginning of the next school year is fine.

Anne Moony, Violetta DeCroix

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
View a Printable Version