Updates
Welcome to Charming
Welcome to Charming, the year is now 1894. It’s time to join us and immerse yourself in scandal and drama interlaced with magic both light and dark.

Where will you fall?

Featured Stamp

Add it to your collection...

Did You Know?
Queen Victoria was known for putting jackets and dresses on her pups, causing clothing for dogs to become so popular that fashion houses for just dog clothes started popping up all over Paris. — Fox
It would be easy to assume that Evangeline came to the Lady Morgana only to pick fights. That wasn't true at all. They also had very good biscuits.
Check Your Privilege

Lady Audley's Secret by Mary Elizabeth Braddon
Lady Audley's Secret

A Victorian 'sensation' novel written in 1862 by Mary Elizabeth Braddon who was prolific in the genre. This is her most well known novel and was adapted into a silent film in 1912, which Braddon actually lived to see. Sadly, Braddon has faded into obscurity and of her 90+ novels, only a few remain in publication. Her life was fascinating and I could go on for days about her because she was amazing. There's a nice podcast I listened to back in November about forgotten Victorian era writers (I'll try and link it later) and they cover her in 3 episodes, I totally recommend giving it a listen! They also cover Wilkie Collins but I didn't want to spoil The Woman in White so I haven't listened to those yet. Anyway, on Lady Audley's Secret — from goodreads:

"This Victorian bestseller, along with Braddon's other famous novel, Aurora Floyd, established her as the main rival of the master of the sensational novel, Wilkie Collins. A protest against the passive, insipid 19th-century heroine, Lady Audley was described by one critic of the time as "high-strung, full of passion, purpose, and movement." Her crime (the secret of the title) is shown to threaten the apparently respectable middle-class world of Victorian England."

This one has oft been tossed around as a potential CBC title, and I'm super stoked to have an excuse to read it at last!

This is a discussion thread for people who have read or are reading the book in question. With that in mind, there are likely to be spoilers throughout. However, in the event of major twists or “how it ends”, please wrap content in spoiler tags.

Code:
[spoiler]Surprise!content here[/spoiler]

Messages In This Thread
Lady Audley's Secret by Mary Elizabeth Braddon - by Ursula Black - June 6, 2018 – 2:59 PM
Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
View a Printable Version