Updates
Welcome to Charming
Welcome to Charming, the year is now 1894. It’s time to join us and immerse yourself in scandal and drama interlaced with magic both light and dark.

Where will you fall?

Featured Stamp

Add it to your collection...

Did You Know?
Queen Victoria was known for putting jackets and dresses on her pups, causing clothing for dogs to become so popular that fashion houses for just dog clothes started popping up all over Paris. — Fox
It would be easy to assume that Evangeline came to the Lady Morgana only to pick fights. That wasn't true at all. They also had very good biscuits.
Check Your Privilege

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Ba...
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

That's right. The title and authors were SO LONG that I ran out of room xD This charming book is told almost entirely in the form of letters, and IMO is a light, charming, and engaging read. From goodreads:

January 1946: Writer Juliet Ashton receives a letter from a stranger, a founding member of the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. And so begins a remarkable tale of the island of Guernsey during the German occupation, and of a society as extraordinary as its name.

This blurb does not do the lengthy name justice xD Netflix made it into a movie in 2018.

This is a discussion thread for people who have read or are reading the book in question. With that in mind, there are likely to be spoilers throughout. However, in the event of major twists or “how it ends”, please wrap content in spoiler tags.

Code:
[spoiler]Surprise!content here[/spoiler]

GORGEOUS set by Lady <3
I'm about halfway through the book and am absolutely enchanted by it. I love a good historical fiction, but the format of it makes it seem ~new and I have a much easier time getting into the heads of the characters. Will report back as I read more!

Also, Bree's arranging a movie night for this!

bee is a goddamn wizard ❤ —
HELLO IT IS I. Still trucking through, still enjoying it immensely. Juliet sailing off to visit her penfriends on Guernsey—TOTAL STRANGERS who she knows incredibly well in spite of that fact—struck me very much like meeting an internet friend in today's day and age, complete with the "ugh maybe I'll just bail" nerves that I got my first times meeting up with Bee and Jenny xD #AnxietyWoes

The following 1 user Likes Gervaise Ollivander's post:
   Elsie Kirke

Bee makes the pretty things ♥ —
I AM THOROUGHLY AND IRREVOCABLY IN LOVE WITH DAWSEY ADAMS.

that is all.

The following 2 users Like Elsie Kirke's post:
   Aldous Crouch, Edric Umbridge

[Image: Elsie-MJSig.png]
MJ always makes her so pretty
I started it because of course I did, and I can say by page 22 I'm already jumping with glee every time a Juliet/Dawsey letter appears. In other news: a potato peel pie sounds gross af.

set by MJ!
(August 12, 2018 – 10:33 PM)Edric Umbridge Wrote:  I started it because of course I did, and I can say by page 22 I'm already jumping with glee every time a Juliet/Dawsey letter appears. In other news: a potato peel pie sounds gross af.

Hi, I'm on page 116 now. I got to the part in the letters where Juliet decided how she felt about everyone [see spoiler] and I can't help but think of sophomore year of HS when I was being introduced into my longstanding friend group by our mutual friend, Travis. He said something along the lines of "I'm pretty sure I'm destined to marry Josie, but I'd 100% be gay for Ian. Jacinda's my mother and you gotta keep an eye on Zach—he thinks he's 12." or something along those lines.

Show

Juliet gets her impressions of people, not just from the individuals themselves, but the other people she's corresponding with. It reminds me of how we get to know people through other people's accounts of them, so I'm curious about how Juliet might have thought of Elizabeth if it was originally Miss Addison who contacted her rather than Dawsey. xD

The following 1 user Likes Edric Umbridge's post:
   February Umbridge

set by MJ!
Guess who just finished? Hint: it's meeeeee.

Spoiler from the back half when we get into Isola's notebook:
Show

Quote:I'm curious about how Juliet might have thought of Elizabeth if it was originally Miss Addison who contacted her rather than Dawsey. xD

I think that just by looking at the tone of Miss Addison's letters when compared to Juliet's, we can see that they are two fundamentally different people. Admittedly, she probably would have ignored the Guernsey Gang if Amelia had been the one to write to her initially, but that's a cause & effect thing not an influencing opinions thing xD

— Aldous walks with a cane and pronounced limp as the result of a splinching accident. —
[Image: TrSGeWR.jpg]
— graphics by lady ❤ —
(August 12, 2018 – 9:38 PM)Elsie Beauregard Wrote:  I AM THOROUGHLY AND IRREVOCABLY IN LOVE WITH DAWSEY ADAMS.

that is all.

I, too, just finished, and would also like to say that I am also thoroughly and irrevocably in love with Dawsey Addams.

set by MJ!
(August 13, 2018 – 2:18 AM)Edric Umbridge Wrote:  
(August 12, 2018 – 9:38 PM)Elsie Beauregard Wrote:  I AM THOROUGHLY AND IRREVOCABLY IN LOVE WITH DAWSEY ADAMS.

that is all.

I, too, just finished, and would also like to say that I am also thoroughly and irrevocably in love with Dawsey Addams.

I am charmed by him but know that we would never work >.>

— Aldous walks with a cane and pronounced limp as the result of a splinching accident. —
[Image: TrSGeWR.jpg]
— graphics by lady ❤ —
on a side note, I, like half the characters, though Juliet and Sidney would have a history, but the reason they don't is fucking awesome for a historical romance ♥

The following 2 users Like February Umbridge's post:
   Aldous Crouch, Bella Scrimgeour

[Image: cTe3ze.png]
(August 13, 2018 – 3:04 AM)February Lynch Wrote:  on a side note, I, like half the characters, though Juliet and Sidney would have a history, but the reason they don't is fucking awesome for a historical romance ♥

Imma put my response to this in spoilers because better safe than sorry :P
Show

The following 1 user Likes Eldin Bones's post:
   Elsie Kirke

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
View a Printable Version