Updates
Welcome to Charming
Welcome to Charming, the year is now 1894. It’s time to join us and immerse yourself in scandal and drama interlaced with magic both light and dark.

Where will you fall?

Featured Stamp

Add it to your collection...

Did You Know?
Queen Victoria was known for putting jackets and dresses on her pups, causing clothing for dogs to become so popular that fashion houses for just dog clothes started popping up all over Paris. — Fox
It would be easy to assume that Evangeline came to the Lady Morgana only to pick fights. That wasn't true at all. They also had very good biscuits.
Check Your Privilege

Private
In Too Deep
December 21st, 1891 — The Ruskin Household

This was the first time Phillip had ever had an excuse to buy someone not of his family something for Christmas, and he couldn't gift her much of anything that he thought would be useful to her. Well. Except one thing. So under his left arm, wrapped in brown paper, was nestled the shape of a book. In his other, a small bunch of yellow tulips, a bright shock of color in the winter cold and white.

He knew what those flowers meant. His sisters had schooled him on the meaning of flowers for years. He couldn't help it — Miss Ruskin was intelligent and lovely. Heritage be damned, he didn't care what society said. Sure, she'd have to be presented, but that was a formality he'd ask his sister Cassandra to handle. She'd understand that there were things he couldn't share with her about the relationship. Just like there were things Annabelle couldn't share with her older sisters that he could know.

As he approached the front door, he switched the flowers to his left hand, adjusting his hat before rapping on the door with his knuckle, just twice. And when the door opened, he was adjusting his wand in his coat. He never went anywhere without it, even outside of Hogsmeade. "Ah, hello, I was just —"

@"Acacia Ruskin"

[Image: New-Sig.jpg]
The past few months had been both flattering and confusing. A Viscount had taken a genuine interest in her. Not only were they not of the same class, but his status made this all the more intimidating. Yet he was so sweet. Acacia was not, altogether, sure what to think of the matter.

Before a maid was able to answer the door, Malachai had eagerly swung it open. Acacia had just been coming down the stairs when she heard her step-brother shout, "Acacia! The fancy man is here to see you again!"

Ears turning almost as red as her hair, she rushed down the rest of the stairs and down the hall until she could see them, slowing down to a polite walk. "Malachai, that is not how we properly greet our guests." She said gently. Then she spotted the flowers. Oh... now her ears and cheeks matched that hair of hers.

The following 1 user Likes Acacia Darlington's post:
   Clarissa Cosgrove

Magic by Elaine!

He didn't bother to finish his sentence when he saw that it was a young boy greeting him at the door. A familiar young boy. Right, Miss Ruskin's step-brother. Something he had legitimately zero experience with. He didn't remember much of what it meant to be eleven, and he only had sisters. Still, Phillip couldn't help but chuckle as he caught sight of Miss Ruskin. "I didn't bring anything for your siblings, I'm afraid," he admitted, shifting the flowers back to his right hand to grasp the book.

It was one of his more thoughtful moments, if he was honest. Nothing frivolous that a debutante would vapidly accept, nor a novel of fiction or book of poetry. No, a book on experimental charms and how to reverse their effects without causing damage. A book he probably could have used himself some time back. At least his left hand was no longer a paw.

He always forgot how petite she was when he went away. It made him smile every time.

"Happy Christmas, Miss Ruskin." A few days early, but he'd be going to spend the holiday proper with his family.

It was nice to see the Viscount take Malachai's comment with such humor. This was a floating around nickname between a couple of Acacia's siblings - both step and full. Not that she encouraged such things. Still, she couldn’t help but be caught up in the fact that he had come to bring her presents.

"That is perfectly alright... Mr. Darlington," she still regretted not having a full grasp on what to officially call him. He was so kind about it, but she was rather embarrassed. "I am sorry to say that I have no present of my own to offer. Though I do wish you a happy Christmas. Would you like to come inside?"

Magic by Elaine!

Titles didn't matter as much in the wizarding world, and Phillip knew that. It was why he'd told her just to call him Mr. Darlington. My Lord felt too formal, anyway, when they'd first met because he'd accidentally transfigured his hand into a paw. He'd talk with her about it more at a later date, when it actually became important.

Well. It was about to become important, so he probably should talk about it during his visit today.

"That's quite all right," he replied. "I don't want to impose too terribly. Is your father here?" He knew he ought to discuss his intentions with Mr. Ruskin, but failing that, her stepmother would do just fine as a chaperone. And perhaps in the new year he could take her for a day to his estate, for a ride in the snow.

Titles were not a familiar concept to a witch that had few interactions with the muggle world. Her appearance alone was suspect, to an extent. Not nearly as much as her mother's had been - back when the vampire was alivr and around. But she still tried to respect muggle customs, be kind to muggleborns and their families upon encounters.

Her father? Of course, a chaperone was appropriate. But this seemed a bit much. Still, she nodded. "I'll go get him for you." She responded.

Magic by Elaine!

Martin Ruskin was something of an intimidating man in Phillip's eyes. But he supposed that made sense. He was, after all, the one who was trying to court his little girl. His oldest daughter. Of course he was intimidating to the young lord. And they did use formal titles in their conversation, every time they'd ever spoken to one another. This time was no exception.

They stepped into the parlor, the two men, once Phillip had handed off his gifts to Acacia. The tulips were held together with a fine velvet ribbon — sapphire blue, and long enough that it could perhaps be used to tie her hair back if she so desired. Their conversation held behind closed doors, leaving Acacia with her step-brother and any other siblings that had heard Malachai's announcement and made their way to the foyer. Spoken in quiet tones to prevent overhearing, Phillip expressed his interests, and answered every one of Mr. Ruskin's questions. Including how he would handle taking a half-vampire into muggle society. He even mentioned, of his own volition, that Acacia would need to be presented before the Queen technically before an engagement could happen.

And he did mention that he planned to propose at a proper later date. Because of course Mr. Ruskin asked his full intention. Couldn't have his precious Acacia ruined by a known flirt.

Even a reforming one.

After a solid forty-five minute interrogation and conversation, the parlor door opened, and Martin bid Acacia to enter. Just Acacia. Even Mrs. Ruskin had joined the snooping, standing with a hand on her eldest son's shoulder to keep him from following.

Phillip stood by the fireplace, fiddling with his hands for the moment, as Mr. Rusking closed the door behind him and sat down in the comfortable armchair he had been occupying.

"Acacia," Phillip began, turning to face the redhead with his right hand extended, "I would be so privileged if you would permit me to court you."

The longer they were in there, the more anxious Acacia had become. It had truly started to become clear of Mr. Darlington's intentions. Any sibling that had yet to peak into the situation before had slowly made there way over. It was an incredibly crowded hall by the time the doors opened.

Glancing nervously at her step-mother briefly, the redhead made her way inside. She glanced at her father while entering the room, before finally looking at Mr. Darlington. He got right to the point, he wished to court her.

On the one hand, this was more than she had ever expected. Perhaps a man of her status, likely widowed or eccentric, seemed more likely option. A former classmate had even shown an interest. But a Viscount? There was a lot that went into that, wasn't there?

She glanced back at her father one more time. The man nodded slightly, and in his eyes she knew. Mr. Darlington had been made aware of just what a future with Acacia would mean. The difficulties, socially. The bloodline. She looked back to Mr. Darlington. "I would be honored, Mr. Darlington."

Magic by Elaine!

Phillip released the breath he'd been holding in a huff that led straight into one of the biggest grins he was sure Acacia'd ever seen him give. "I am most delighted in your agreement. And you may call me Phillip now, when it is just us and our chaperones." He took another deep breath, turning towards the fireplace for a moment before turning back again. Oh, he was quite excited. "You'll have to meet my sister, Cassandra, and eventually prepared for a court presentation. Cassandra can fill you in on matters of formal address. It will perhaps be best coming from her."

Excited was putting it mildly. The man was hyper from her agreement. Like a puppy.

"For now, don't worry about anything. Your first day off in the new year, I will take you and the chaperone of your choosing to my estate for a ride in the snow." He trusted she had a warm riding habit, and if not, he could always cast a gentle warming charm on whatever she had. Unless her chaperone handled that. "I look forward to it!"

The following 1 user Likes Phillip Darlington's post:
   Acacia Darlington

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
View a Printable Version