Updates
Welcome to Charming
Welcome to Charming, the year is now 1894. It’s time to join us and immerse yourself in scandal and drama interlaced with magic both light and dark.

Where will you fall?

Featured Stamp

Add it to your collection...

Did You Know?
It’s quite unusual for a caster's patronus to be their favourite animal, but very possible that it will take the shape of a creature they’ve never before seen or heard of. — Amy
As he fell, Ford recalled the trials of Gulliver during his interactions with the Lilliputians.
Potato Wars

Open
Until it Wasn't - Level 1

You turn onto a path that leads into an orchard. Trees loaded with fruit sway in the gentle breeze, cherry blossoms float in the air. A fine layer of baby's breathe spots through the grasses. It's picturesque. Peaceful. Until something soft bounces up and hits your hand. A moment later another hits your shoulder, then your cheek. Suddenly you are surrounded by leaping toadstools, the group of them trying to out jump each other as they bounce around and off you.

Are your characters stuck in the smalltalk loop?
Does your imagination feel like it just can't perform as it used to?
Mid-thread crisis getting you down?
Unable to get that post up?
Is your relationship suffering because of your inability to satisfy your partner?
SUFFER NO MORE!
With a little intervention from The Suggestionizer your RP life could be back on track in no time!

--> Click here for more details <--

Known side-effects include: chronic ridiculousness, immense satisfaction, itching, uncontrollable laughter, burning, deep regret, despair, shock, horror, incidental dismemberment, joy, and death. Use at your own risk!
Thaddeus walked along the dirt path, his steps heavy and deliberate. He had little time for idle whimsy or frivolity. But the orchard was serene, with the trees heavy with fruit swaying gently in the breeze, the air filled with cherry blossoms. There were some social events that was just an expectation of the bon ton.

Something soft bounced up and hit his hand. At first, Thaddeus ignored it, but then another hit his shoulder, and then his cheek. He found himself surrounded by leaping toadstools, the group of them bouncing around and off him. His expression remained unchanged, his face etched with the intensity. He attempted to brush the toadstools off his coat, but they seemed to cling to him like burrs.

"This is preposterous," Thaddeus muttered to himself as he continued to make his way through the orchard, the toadstools bouncing around him like a troupe of frenzied dancers. He reached for his wand, prepared to use a spell to dispel the irritating fungi, but hesitated. Perhaps there was something more to this strange occurrence. He took a closer look at the bouncing toadstools and they seemed to be competing with each other, almost like they were trying to out-jump each other.

Thaddeus's lips twitched slightly, almost a smile. He began to watch the toadstools with growing interest, fascinated by their antics. For a moment, Thaddeus forgot about his walk. He reached out his hand, trying to catch one of them, and laughed when it bounced out of his grasp.

It was a tradition to come to the Flower Show, and despite graduating from Hogwarts this year was no different. She’d lost Beryl and Poppy somewhere along the way, noting that she didn’t have too much time to find them before she had to scamper off to some engagement her stepmother had arranged, probably another boring suitor who would make June want to rip her eyes out before she cried from boredom. If one more bloody person asked her about the weather or waxed terribly poetry at her, she might just hurl herself into the lake at Padmore Park to put her out of her misery.

At least she’d managed to slip away from her chaperone under the guise of looking some plants an aisle over so she had some breathing room before being suffocated. Juniper turned her head to glance behind her just in case her godforsaken stepmother decided to breath down the back of her neck and follow her anyway, but she was alone. Just as she went to put her shoe back down on the ground, it collided with a slippery toad – not enough to crush it, but enough to make her squeak and wobble on one foot, hands flailing wildly to regain her balance. Luckily she didn’t fall, although her heels skidded close to the edge of a pond; the same pond she’d fallen into last year.

Hands clasped behind her back, June stepped forward, green eyes landing on Mr. Flint watching a show of toads jumping up and down. She crept up behind him before she gently reached out to touch his waist as she came to stand beside him, hand dropping to her side as she turned toward him with a grin. “Do you plan on joining them, Mr. Flint? I could turn you into a toad, to make it fair.” This was probably why her stepmother made her meet boring men; she enjoyed threatening people for the fun of it.

[Image: Ts48j1U.png]

Thaddeus' stern gaze surveying the vibrant blooms and animated conversations around him. It was an event he attended as part of tradition, a necessary social obligation despite his distaste for such gatherings. He found solace in the orderly beauty of nature, even if the company left much to be desired.

Lost in his thoughts, he was caught off guard when he felt a gentle touch on his waist. Turning slightly, he regarded the young woman who had managed to sneak up on him. Her green eyes sparkled mischievously as she stood beside him, her hand dropping to her side.

A faint smile tugged at the corners of Thaddeus' lips, a rare display of amusement. "Miss Edevane, always full of surprises," he replied, his tone laced with a hint of dry humor. "I must admit, transforming me into a toad would certainly make for an intriguing turn of events. Though I must warn you, I believe my expertise lies more in unraveling the secrets of magic than amphibian acrobatics."

He adjusted his stance, looking at her with a mix of curiosity and subtle intrigue. "What brings you to the flower show, Miss Edevane? Are you seeking respite from the mundane suitors your stepmother subjects you to? Or perhaps you find solace in the delicate allure of nature, like I do?" His voice held a touch of genuine interest, a rare glimpse into the man behind the stern facade.

Thaddeus raised an eyebrow, studying her as if she were a puzzle waiting to be deciphered. "I must say, your unique approach to social encounters is refreshing. Not many would openly threaten others at a flower show. Tell me, Miss, is it boredom or a desire for genuine excitement that fuels your unconventional antics?"

He allowed himself a moment of amusement before his features returned to their usual composed state. Thaddeus glanced around, ensuring no prying eyes or unwanted listeners were within earshot. "Should you ever tire of indulging in idle conversations about the weather, Miss Edevane, perhaps we can explore a more intellectually stimulating exchange. There is much to be discussed beyond the trivialities of polite society. Intriguing secrets and hidden knowledge await those with an open mind."

With a subtle nod, Thaddeus acknowledged her presence, leaving the invitation hanging in the air. Whether she would take him up on his offer or dismiss it as another mundane encounter remained to be seen.

There he was, smiling at her like he hadn’t expected her to say anything else. Her own lips quipped into her smile at his response, green eyes watching as he seemed to turn his full attention onto her. Juniper liked the feeling of him looking only at her “And I must warn you Mr. Flint, that unraveling the secrets of magic sounds much more interesting than turning you into a toad.” Although she might have tucked him into her pocket and walked around the show with him there, speaking to him like he was actually walking beside her. This was better though, being able to have a two sided conversation.

Juniper turned her head to gaze behind her, waiting for her stepmother to come barrelling down the path to find her, and when she didn’t, she let out a small breath of relief. Turned back toward him, her voice lowering to something almost akin to teasing; it felt right, given how his voice sounded genuine when he asked his question. “She would be pleased to see me speaking politely to you, might even ask you what your secrets are so she can pass them along to those mundane suitors.” She winked at him, as if it was their little secret. It would be highly entertaining to watch someone’s horrified face when they learned these kinds of things she and Mr. Flint discussed. “But I come every year. It’s nice to walk through the flowers and see the beauty the world has to offer.” June did like bouquets of any variety and she very much liked the idea of Mr. Flint wandering around the outdoors, stopping to actually smell the roses.

June didn’t even pause to take a breath before she answered him. “Both.” She murmured. “The people around me bore me, talking of polite things like the weather or trying to impress me with verses of poetry they’ve read, like I care about how green my eyes are in comparison to an emerald. When I marry Mr. Flint, it will be to someone who challenges me and someone I can verbally spar with without fear of repercussions.” The woman giggled as she shuffled her feet; something in her gaze though, hardened. “I will not be a housewife nor will I become a mere baby making factory.” Babies — Juniper didn’t even want to be a mother, so she hoped her first born was a son, or she was blessed with twins so she didn’t have to suffer through a pregnancy twice. There wasn’t much left for her to be, but she’d forge her own path.

Watched as he nodded, and Juniper couldn’t help the grin that spread across her face as she stepped forward and offered her hand to him, palm up. “Promenade me around the show. “ She hummed. “And maybe I’ll surprise you.” June wasn’t sure what she knew that Mr. Flint didn’t, but there had to be something; plus she liked the idea of sparring with him, keeping him on his toes. “Come, let’s see if there are some snapping steel vines around. I wouldn’t mind a new necklace for the upcoming season.” Tossed a curious look at him before she tacked on “Or maybe a ring.”

Thaddeus couldn't help but appreciate Juniper's playful banter and the spark in her green eyes. Her response echoed with a genuine interest in unraveling the mysteries of magic, aligning with his own passions. He found himself intrigued by the prospect of engaging in deeper conversations with someone who yearned for intellectual stimulation rather than the superficialities of society - especially a woman that wasn't a Flint.

A smile played at the corners of his lips as Juniper mentioned her stepmother's potential curiosity about his secrets. The notion of sharing clandestine knowledge with someone as spirited as Juniper appealed to Thaddeus, creating an air of conspiratorial delight between them. "Rest assured, Miss Edevane, my secrets are reserved for those who truly appreciate the intricacies of magic," he replied, his voice lowered to match the teasing tone she had adopted.

Thad took the offered hand, and encasing it in his own, tucking it into the crook of his arm, so that they might walk with appropriate solemnity around the show, he turned his attention, firmly back to Miss Edevane. Thaddeus observed her with a mix of amusement and admiration as she expressed her appreciation for what he percieved to be the more worthy things in life. He nodded in agreement. "Indeed, the world holds many wonders if one takes the time to truly see them. It is refreshing to meet someone who appreciates the beauty beyond the surface, and I would be most disappointed in myself if I were ever to bore you." he added this last his dark brow arching with amusement. He could appreciate a woman who knew what she wanted, and was unafraid to express it. Even if the idea that a debutante wanted a marriage was hardly a state secret, but it was almost impossible for him to imagine Juniper as a drab socialite more engaged with the machinations of the ton than the finer and more worthy movements of the universe.

'You speak very freely of marriage Miss Edevane, it sounds as though you have come to some conclusions on the topic?' he challenged, wondering just how far her bravado would take her.

There was something endearing about Thaddeus, in a strange sort of way that made her want to continue getting to know him. He was different from the other gentleman she’d spoken to, and someone who didn’t immediately want to make her jump off a cliff. June coyly smiled at him as he explained he wouldn’t divulge his secrets to Grace, which was something she was silently appreciative of. He was teasing her, another thing that generally would make her scoff at suitors, but he wasn’t doing it to be rude or mean; he was doing it because she had started the teasing first. It was refreshing to have a real conversation about real things.

June’s smile edged wider as he took her hand and tucked it into the crook of his arm, because she knew they were truly going to promenade around the show for all to see — her stepmother was bound to find them sooner or later, huffing and puffing that she’d been outsmarted again, but at least she wasn’t daft enough to broach the subject her slipping away with prying ears around. “Is there a wonder in the world you’ve seen that’s your favorite? I’ve always wanted to see a waterfall in person.” Blinking up at him curiously with green eyes, June scooted closer to him, but still kept a respectable distance from him. Her hand tightened on his. “If you are boring me, Mr. Flint, I will tell you, just as you will tell me.” It seemed fair. She arched her eyebrow in amusement, mirroring Thaddeus’ expression.

He didn’t seem to care about her little outburst although Juniper sucked in a sharp breath before she breathed out a slight laugh. “My conclusion is that I would like to be married.” she admitted rather quietly. Very few debutants didn’t want the same thing; of course June had her opinions on marriage, but she also didn’t want to be ostracized from society because of them.“Marriage is a contract, is it not? I feel as though it’s only fair that I get to negotiate some of the terms of it, rather than relying on my father to determine what it is that I deserve in life.” June lifted her head and offered the man a wry smile. “But I should also be able to determine who my marriage contract is with, shouldn’t I? I am capable of knowing what I want and if I cannot stand my husband, I cannot fulfill the terms laid out.” Plus it wasn’t above her to leave someone at the altar, even if it would ruin her. Her friends would have to understand, even if her family didn’t.

Thaddeus couldn't help but find himself strangely drawn to Juniper, despite his own reticent nature. There was an undeniable allure in her presence, a spark that ignited a mixture of fascination and caution within him. Unlike the other suitors who seemed to fawn over her, Thaddeus took pleasure in the subtle dance of their conversation, where their words intertwined like thorny vines - unable to tell whose words were the more dangerous.

Her coy smile only served to deepen his interest, for she seemed to understand the darker currents that flowed beneath his composed facade. He appreciated the way she dared to tread the line between playfulness and mystery. It was a rarity to encounter someone who could match his own brand of dark teasing. Especially in a debutante, who all seemed to believe that the wide-eyed ingenue was interesting rather than staid and repetative.

Her question about his favorite wonder of the world couldn't help but elicit a sardonic smile from Thaddeus. His gaze fixed on Juniper, dark and piercing. "A waterfall, you say?" he replied, his voice laced with a hint of intrigue. "Ah, Miss Edevane, there is beauty in the cascading rush of water, the untamed force that consumes all in its path. But there is also danger lurking within, hidden beneath its shimmering facade. It is a contradiction, much like ourselves, don't you think?"

The edge of his lips curled upwards, a mixture of amusement and warning. Thaddeus enjoyed dancing on the precipice of her tolerance, testing the limits of her endurance. There was a magnetic pull between them, a mutual understanding that their connection thrived in the shadows. Juniper's admission of desiring marriage, despite her reservations, only fueled Thaddeus' dark curiosity. He observed her intently, his eyes penetrating through the layers of her facade. Her determination and desire for autonomy intrigued him, for it echoed the rebellion that burned within his own heart.

"Marriage, a contract of convenience and compromise," Thaddeus murmured, his voice low and tinged with an undercurrent of cynicism. "But let us not forget, Miss June, that even the most carefully crafted contracts can crumble under the weight of unfulfilled desires and unspoken truths. We are beings meant to defy expectations, to challenge the status quo. Why settle for a mere contract when we can seek a connection that transcends boundaries?" his voice was low, so that only she could hear him.

Thaddeus' gaze was piercing as he looked over toward her, but her own lips curled into a smile as she tilted her head, watching him in return. Wherever this conversation was headed excited June — she enjoyed a good conversation that challenged her to think, even if most of the time people thought her to be mean or odd because of it. If she didn’t keep her mind active then she feared she’d lose who she was, becoming boring. A shell of who she was. Just another boring debutante without any life goals outside of being a wife and a mother.

She nodded. Wanting to see a waterfall seemed simple, but she hadn’t gotten the chance to travel much outside of where her father took them. “Don’t you like being just a little bit dangerous, Mr. Flint?” Juniper hummed quietly as she lifted her gaze toward him, the grip of her hand tightening around him just a bit. “Knowing that when people look at you, they don’t know what you’re fully capable of?” Being dangerous meant being protected — she didn’t need anyone in her life to do that for her. Her eyes fixated on his lips, watching them curl into something akin to amusement.

The gaze she felt from Thaddeus gave June pause, like she’d said too much and crossed a line, like he saw straight through her. Of course she didn’t want a marriage of convenience. She wanted to like her husband at minimum, but she also wasn’t daft enough to think that as the eldest, her father wouldn’t use her as a bartering chip for something he wanted. He murmured like he didn’t like her answer, but she was speaking the truth. June pursed her lips together in thought. “What is it that you’re looking for, Mr. Flint? To have all your desires fulfilled with someone you’re in love with?” She was curious now, having never considered what he might be looking for in a wife. Thaddeus seemed like someone who would consider his wife as an equal partner, and not someone just fulfilling a contract of giving him an heir. "Above all else, I want to be happy. Live a life where I don't feel like I am shackled down."

Thaddeus maintained his enigmatic smile, relishing in the way Juniper played along with his dark teasing. Her question about his penchant for danger struck a chord within him. There was a glimmer of understanding in her eyes, as if she saw beyond the surface and recognized the allure of concealed power.

"Danger is a tantalizing companion, Miss Edevane," he replied, his voice taking on a velvety undertone. "To walk the thin line between mystery and revelation is to exist in a realm where others dare not venture. It grants one a certain kind of freedom, an ability to navigate the world on their own terms." Thaddeus tightened his grip on her hand, the touch imbued with an intoxicating blend of intimacy and danger. 'I've found that certain magics are the best way to walk that line.

As Juniper's gaze fixated on his lips, he could sense the curiosity and unspoken desires that swirled within her. There was a hunger in her eyes, a hunger for something more than the conventional life of a debutante or even for him. Thaddeus leaned in slightly, his voice lowered to a conspiratorial tone. "You, Miss Edevane, understand the art of being dangerous. You grasp the power that lies in the shadows, hidden from prying eyes. It is a rare quality, one that I find... alluring."

Her question regarding his desires caused a flicker of intrigue to dance in Thaddeus' eyes. He took a moment to consider his response, his gaze lingering on her intently. "Desires are complex, Miss Edevane," he murmured, his voice tinged with a hint of wistfulness. "But above all else, I seek a connection that transcends societal expectations. A partner who challenges me, who matches my intensity and yearning for something beyond the mundane. Love, passion, and genuine happiness are elusive treasures that I value less than certain other attributes." It was frank, but then he liked frank.

Thaddeus’ voice was smooth as silk, husky and velvety enough that it made June shiver against his arm as his fingers tightened around her own. She liked what he was talking about too, dangers and being able to navigate the world on her terms, everyone else be damned. Although it wasn’t too much of a secret that the Edevanes dabbled in the darker sides of magic, she didn’t actively get to speak to anyone about it – what she learned, what she wanted to learn, and here Thaddeus was, opening the door to allow for such topics. Her lips quipped into a smile. “Maybe you’ll have to show me sometime.” She purred…

Unable to keep herself from staring at his lips. Of course he noticed and as he leaned in June let out a slight gasp, like she hadn’t thought Thaddeus would inch closer. She wouldn’t kiss him, not here out in the open, but damn if she didn’t consider it for the briefest of moments. But then he spoke and she came back to her senses. His eyes were flickering with understanding, and Juniper leaned forward toward him. “Maybe you’ll see how dangerous I really am one day, Mr. Flint, away from prying eyes.” They were toeing perilous territory… but there wasn’t an ounce of her that didn’t want to fully step into it.

Her question seemed to intrigue him, and June smiled at him, intrigued herself. This wasn't a typical conversation topic, and never had she asked a suitor what they desired. They all wanted the same — a pretty girl to bear them children, and then one who would smile and throw fabulous balls so the cycle could continue. He was being frank when he spoke, something June appreciated. “Someone to keep you on your toes, hm?” June smiled at him as she popped up onto her tippy toes to press a very quick kiss to his cheek. Then she smirked at him as she lowered herself back down; she was beyond capable of keeping anyone on their toes.

Thaddeus couldn't help but revel in the effect he had on Juniper, the way his words and presence seemed to stir something within her. Her response, laced with a mixture of intrigue and invitation, only fueled his own dark curiosity. The prospect of delving into the forbidden realms of magic with her was enticing, and he savored the moment, savoring the potential connection they could forge.

Her mainly gasp, the flicker of temptation in her eyes, had been delightful, and confirmed that they were both teetering on the edge of a precipice.
"I eagerly await the day, Miss Edevane, when we can explore the depths of our shared interests away from prying eyes," he murmured, his voice carrying a hint of promise. There was no doubt in his mind that Juniper held secrets and abilities that matched his own.

Her question about his desires brought forth a genuine smile from Thaddeus, a rare display of vulnerability and the quick kiss on his cheek caught him off guard, a brief touch that left a lingering warmth. It was a gesture of defiance, a sign that she was willing to challenge the boundaries imposed upon them. He could not help himself from glancing around, to ensure they had not been observed.

"Yes, someone who can match my every step, keep me on my toes," Thaddeus replied, his voice tinged with a mixture of amusement and anticipation. Her smirk only served to stoke the flames of his desire, his eyes glinting with mischief. "I have no doubt, Miss June, that you possess the ability to keep anyone on their toes. I look forward to experiencing your full, dangerous potential."

He scanned their surroundings once more, ensuring their privacy, before leaning in closer, his voice a low whisper. "I dare say you would benefit from....Private tuition. Where I can assure you Miss Edevane, that the possibilities are endless." The thrill of the forbidden coursed through his veins, and he knew that their connection was veering into treacherous territory. Thaddeus locked eyes with Juniper, a challenge and invitation in his gaze.

June liked the promise that Thaddeus was hinting at, although she couldn't help but wonder what other interests they had that aligned. She knew very little of him, they hadn’t spent a lot of time even speaking at events, but of course he’d piqued her interest — were their shared interests more dark magic? More talks in depth about what they wanted in life? Every part of June wanted to know, and her lips curled into a smile. She also eagerly awaited that day, and perhaps it would be coming sooner rather than later.

It would have, had anyone caught the quick kiss on the cheek, although luckily for them, no one was around. For a flower show that was filled with people, they’d gotten lucky, but then again June was always good at toeing the line and very rarely did she cross it when she knew she could get in real trouble. No, most of the things she did to people were behind others backs, and she reveled in the idea of not getting in trouble for the things she did. (Such as hexing two people at a ball last season; how no one had seen was beyond her, but a word was never uttered about it, so Juniper considered herself lucky.)

At being called dangerous by Thaddeus, June tilted her head up. There was a glint of mischief in her green eyes, but he was right, June was very good at keeping people on their toes. “And you too, Mr. Flint. I look forward to seeing just what you’re capable of.” The glint morphed into something akin to interest, and she cocked her the other way. “It sounds like something I’d be interested in. What kind of magic do you think would benefit me?” Juniper locked gazes with Thaddeus and she felt her breath hitch in her throat with excitement as her mind wandered back to the blood magic he’d shown her the first time they’d met.

Thaddeus couldn't help but revel in the way Juniper reciprocated his teasing, her words and actions kindling a dangerous fire within him. The possibilities of what they could explore together, the depths they could plunge into, were tantalizingly endless. However, as her green eyes sparkled with anticipation, Thaddeus found himself torn between his desires and the harsh reality of their precarious situation.

He observed her closely, his mind swirling with thoughts of the forbidden, the dark arts that danced at the edges of their conversations. His fingers, almost on their own accord, brushed against a lock of her hair, a subtle gesture that betrayed his own internal struggle. In that moment, he wished for nothing more than to whisk her away to a secluded place, away from the prying eyes of society.

But Thaddeus caught himself, a sharp pang of caution piercing through the haze of desire. He withdrew his hand, his expression masking the turmoil within. His voice, when he finally spoke, carried a weight of caution and restraint.

"Miss Edevane," he began, his tone measured and composed, "we must exercise caution in our interactions, especially in public settings. While exhilarating, this could easily invite unwanted attention and scrutiny. I very much appreciate my privacy."

His eyes met hers, a mix of warning and yearning flickering within their depths. "I would hate to see either of us fall victim to the consequences of our actions.." He wasn't sure that was entirely true

Thaddeus took a small step back, a subtle distancing that mirrored the boundaries they needed to establish. The allure of their connection was undeniable, but the risks were equally significant. They needed to be mindful of the world that watched their every move.

"We both have much to lose if our association were to be discovered." he cautioned. With a final lingering gaze, Thaddeus mustered a small smile, a mask to hide his inner turmoil. "There will be time, I assure you, especially if your father were to request that I offer you some training." his chest felt constricted as he suggested it. He had every hope that Edevane would consent, and the privacy the tutelage offered them.

Green eyes blinked as Juniper seemed to be brought back to the present — they were out in public with people around them, and who knew who would be listening to their conversation. Rather than replying to him she tipped her head up and smiled at him, knowing that Thaddeus was right. In many aspects. Her father wouldn’t say no to her , perhaps even thrilled that someone of Mr. Flint’s expertise (and status) was paying the least bit of attention to her, and that she seemed to reciprocate it. He had almost murdered her when she pushed that young lad into the lake at Padmore Park after he waxed terrible poetry at her.

Just as June opened her mouth to reply, she heard the shrill sound of her stepmother’s voice behind, huffy and angry like she normally was. “Juniper Maeve!” Of course she stopped as soon as she saw Juniper with her arm tucked inside Thaddeus’ for their proper promenade, her eyebrows pinched together in surprise. She smirked at her stepmother, who pursed her lips into a thin line, before she finally peeked up at the man, taking a step away from him.

“I’ll ask my father and have him owl you, although he won’t say no.” Her lips curled into something more genuine (she hated her stepmother, the old bat). “Thank you for the lovely promenade. I do hope we can do it again soon.” Then in a very slow motion just to anger her stepmother further, June stepped as gradually as she could toward her. At least this unchaperoned visit hadn’t gotten her in too much trouble.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Henry Berkwood
January 21, 2024 – 8:04 AM
View a Printable Version