Updates
Welcome to Charming
Welcome to Charming, the year is now 1894. It’s time to join us and immerse yourself in scandal and drama interlaced with magic both light and dark.

Where will you fall?

Featured Stamp

Add it to your collection...

Did You Know?
It’s quite unusual for a caster's patronus to be their favourite animal, but very possible that it will take the shape of a creature they’ve never before seen or heard of. — Amy
As he fell, Ford recalled the trials of Gulliver during his interactions with the Lilliputians.
Potato Wars

Private
it was simple, it was sweetness
4 July 1892
To Mr. Echelon Arnost,

I hope you will excuse my forwardness in writing when we are only just acquainted, but I thought perhaps this would interest you. I had the delightful fortune to attend a concert performance recently in London featuring Oswald Schmidt, a cellist — I believe he is of some small renown, though I was not familiar with him previously. It was a capital performance, and in the reception afterwards there was discussion about the Berlin Philharmonic — he is a member, I understand, and only taking a brief leave from the orchestra for this solo tour. There was some intimation of the Berlin Philharmonic debuting some new pieces during their upcoming season that were particularly innovative — perhaps even something new from Brahms, though he was said to have retired.

I doubt very much that my mother would encourage portkeys to Berlin for the sake of being the first to hear new sonatas (that may or may not, in fact, exist), so I thought it best to pass the word along to someone who might take advantage of the opportunity. As you are the only person in my acquaintance who has ever been to Germany, that meant passing it along to you. (You are in Germany, by now? I remember you said you were going, and I did not notice you in attendance at either the Midsummer Ball or the Dashwood debut last month, and both seemed to have nearly the whole of society in attendance, so I assume you have made good on these plans).

Do let me know if you have a chance to hear any new music!

Miss Willa Kensington

August Echelon-Arnost

Gorgeous Set by Bee <3
8th July 1892
Miss Willa Kensington,

I appreciate your thinking of me! I will absolutely excuse any forwardness; your letter led me to investigate (& acquire) tickets to the Berlin philharmonic for later this month. As I have only just established my household in Berlin at a level that feels acceptable to me, an excursion to hear some excellent sonatas is, I think, what I need to feel at home for the next several months.

You are correct in that I am now in Germany — I arrived a few weeks ago, which has led me to miss both the Midsummer Ball and the Dashwood debut. I hope the events were to your liking.

I shall let you know what I think of the concert — thank you again for writing.

Sincerely,
August Echelon-Arnost

[Image: PxGk0D8.jpg]
set by Bree
Willa was encouraged by some pieces of his letter (he seemed amenable to her musical suggestions, though they had been largely manufactured in order to get an excuse to write to him) and discouraged by others (the only good opening he had left her for a response was to talk about parties he hadn't attended, and she feared it would make her sound vapid and vain). But she was not ready to write the acquaintance off yet, not when he was somewhere as exciting as Germany. She put quill to paper with an air of determination. Mr. Echelon-Arnost would like her. She was delightful; she would delight him. Somehow.

12 July 1892
Dear Mr. Echelon Arnost,

The Midsummer Ball had an interesting magical twist; clouds appeared and spirited some couples away to dance above the dance floor rather than on it. I don't know that it's likely to catch on as the latest ballroom trend — one young man looked very much like he would be sick while he was up on one of the clouds — but I do always appreciate when a hostess makes at least an attempt at novelty at their events. The Dashwood debut was, on the other hand, a debut (but these are never especially novel, in my experience; no one wants to risk having some fancy illusionwork be more memorable than the debutante). I dare say neither of them will hold a candle to the philharmonic. Though we do have a night of ballet upcoming that promises to be quite interesting — Swan Lake performed on the Black Lake. I'm not entirely sure what the mechanism is to make the production and the audience float but I'm quite looking forward to it — assuming we can get the tickets, of course, they're apparently quite limited. Are you at all a fan of ballet? I have only seen three performances, but have enjoyed all that I've seen. Such a pity that England doesn't have a dedicated ballet company and we're left at the mercy of these touring productions.

I expect opera is more the trend in Germany than ballet? I have no particular basis for thinking so except that I happen to have heard an opera in German (at the de Montfault theater here locally; unfortunately I've never been abroad) and haven't seen a ballet with German titles in the program.

Miss Willa Kensington

Gorgeous Set by Bee <3
15th July 1892
Miss Willa Kensington,

I write to report that I have been to the philarmonic! The new sonatas did not disappoint; there was not only excellent instrumentation, but the architecture of the building was also deeply impressive. I felt myself moved by the music; I am not sure that words can encapsulate the feeling, but I greatly appreciate the recommendation (and the cello was particularly lovely.)

Did you learn the method for making the audience float? The parties you describe sound interesting; I hope the Season continues to deliver such innovation when I eventually return to Britain.

There appears to be some ballet in Germany, on my investigation — but the company seems very small, so you must be right. I am going to see a magical production of the Gilbert & Sullivan play The Gondoliers next month — are you a fan of opera (whether it is or is not in German?) I enjoy ballet, but confess that I am most moved by words.

Sincerely,
August Echelon-Arnost

[Image: PxGk0D8.jpg]
set by Bree

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Prosper Cresswell
August 16, 2021 – 4:39 PM
View a Printable Version