Updates
Welcome to Charming
Welcome to Charming, the year is now 1894. It’s time to join us and immerse yourself in scandal and drama interlaced with magic both light and dark.

Where will you fall?

Featured Stamp

Add it to your collection...

Did You Know?
Queen Victoria was known for putting jackets and dresses on her pups, causing clothing for dogs to become so popular that fashion houses for just dog clothes started popping up all over Paris. — Fox
It would be easy to assume that Evangeline came to the Lady Morgana only to pick fights. That wasn't true at all. They also had very good biscuits.
Check Your Privilege

Private
I Could Use a Love Song
August 10th, 1888 - Podmore Zoological Gardens
Fletcher Langley
Give me a sign or a rhyme or a reason
Just something that I can believe in
I could use a love song
That takes me back, just like that

I Could Use a Love Song - Maren Morris

To say Fletcher's letter after she'd gotten home from the hospital hadn't thrown her off would have been a lie. Sometimes she had the hardest time reading him in person, in letters it was even worse. She'd sat down to write back several times over the next couple of days, but nothing had come. Eva hadn't know what to say, nor exactly what had gotten into him. She'd let it sit, unfortunately without much by the way of distraction, as she was stuck home on bed rest.

The restlessness was unlike anything she'd ever had to deal with. Having Lucy to keep her company was nice, and of course her family flitted in and out, making sure she was alright, that she had everything she needed, but it didn't do much to keep her mind occupied. By the time his next letter had arrived, Eva was stir crazy and at the zoo, despite the restrictions on her movement. Everything was all healed up, but she was still sore and a little weak from being stuck in a hospital bed for a month. She tired easily and had forgone any sense of proper fashion in lieu of comfort.

Even today, though she knew Fletcher was coming, she'd donned trousers and a shirt that she'd pilfered from Tierney and tailored with her wand to get them to fit better. She had zero interest in a corset digging into the scar on her abdomen or heavy skirts pulling her down. No, that could all go to hell today for all she cared. Her hair was in a simple plait and she wore her old favorite boots, perfectly comfortable.

By the time Fletcher was due to arrive, she was already exhausted, but fighting going home simply because she didn't want to arrive home and be bored for the rest of the afternoon. There was plenty she could do here on "light duty" (which she hadn't been supposed to start until the beginning of the following week) with help from Amelia if necessary. She was sitting on the floor of the aviary in sight of the door, taking rest and playing with a new hatching of wee baby diricawls when she heard the door open.

5Potfd.png
Fletcher, quite simply, felt like an ass. He was an ass, really. Mason had helped him to see that. However, he still couldn't help the way he'd felt that day in the hospital. He'd expected Eavan's father to be an ass. He'd seen first hand what the man could be like while on the expedition. And though he'd known she hadn't wanted to tell him anything right away, he still hadn't anticipated her letting her father treat him in such a way.

As it was, he felt he'd owed get an apology. Even though he hadn't been rude directly to her, his inner turmoil and anger over it all Had made him feel more than guilty. So taking Mason's advice, he'd purchased a purple hyacinth bouquet and packed a picnic of simple sandwiches, some fruit, and a box of cookies he'd picked up from the new bakery in Diagon Alley.

He paused outside of the aviary, taking in a deep breath, before he opened the door and walked in with the basket and bouquet. He noticed her straight away, sitting on the floor and playing with some little birds. Too far away to see what they were, he simply offered a smile to her before he headed on her direction. "I hope I've not interrupted your day if you were busy," he said as he drew close enough to her to speak at a normal speaking volume.

BEE-utiful Set!
[Image: BCHQCD.png]
Eva hadn't known what to expect when he'd arrived. Honestly she'd been trying not to worry about it too much. She thought there had just been a misunderstanding of sorts, but she just couldn't put her finger on what exactly and it seemed that letting him be for a couple days had at least given them both time to cool off.

She smiled on reflex, at least relieved to see he wasn't angry. "No, not busy. Happy to be anywhere but stuck in bed." If still tired, which she probably looked by this point in the day, but she wouldn't have it any other way. Tired was better than idle.

"Let me just put the babies back in their nest," With one in her hand, Eva attempted to stand. She twisted the wrong way just enough for it to hurt, turning away to hide the wince. She breathed through it before bending gently to scoop up another little chick and herd the rest toward the box serving as their nest.

5Potfd.png
Fletcher nodded in response to her words though faced her with a sheepish sort of smile. Just seeing her made all the difference it seemed. He still felt like an ass but he should have known better when it came down to it. The last time he'd overreacted he'd almost lost her entirely.

"Anything I can do to help?" he asked as she mentioned putting the babies back. He set the basket and bouquet down by his feet as he watched her. He didn't notice the wince but he had a feeling she was likely more sore or tired than she was letting on. He couldn't help but to notice she was wearing men's trousers though. Or a men's shirt. Logically, it made sense in his mind. He wasn't sure how women wore all that they did anyways but.. well it stirred things in him he was trying to avoid bringing to the surface. Especially at her place of work.

BEE-utiful Set!
Considering these very little babies had just been hatched the other day when she'd come home, they had all grown  attached quite quickly, so Eva wasn't having too much trouble corralling them toward the nest. There was always one, however. The troublemaker.

"See if you can't get Horatio to come along?" She motioned to the obstinate little bird hovering near the picnic basket. She cast a smile over her shoulder, though as she turned back toward her task, she chuckled quietly to herself.

5Potfd.png
Fletcher's eyes had been a bit more focused on the beauty before him and hadn't even noticed the little hatchling lingering near the basket. The little smile she flashed back to him from over her shoulder didn't help matters either. Being able to see the curve of her waist and the silhouette of her legs was, quite simply, wreaking havoc on Fletcher's thoughts.

Those thoughts, however, were quickly shifted when he caught sight of the little diricawl started tugging at the bouquet of purple flowers resting atop the basket. For a little thing, he seemed pretty strong and managed to yank a full bloom off of the bouquet and seemed to be going back for another. Fletch was quicker though, luckily, and managed to snatch the little thing up in his hands before he could do anymore damage to the flowers. "Those are not for you little mister," he said with a light chuckle as the beast snapped at his wagging finger.

He stooped to pick up the bloom Horatio had already dislodged and offered it, a peach offering of sorts, and it seemed to satisfy the little bird as they followed in Eavan's direction so that the baby could join it's siblings. "Do all diricawls latch on to some sort of item as a main fascination?" he asked with a raised brow as he set little Horatio down and the little beast scampered off toward his siblings with his prize held high in the air as he went.

BEE-utiful Set!
Eva was too preoccupied trying to herd the rest of the chicks into their makeshift nest, setting down the ones in her hands gently with their siblings, or tried rather. The tiny female she had cradled in her one hand refused to go, clawing at Eva's shirt every time she tried to put the little one down. Too soft to put up much of a fight, Eva tucked the tiny chick into the pocket of her over-sized shirt and she settled immediately, which elicited a chuckle from the redhead.

She'd anticipated Horatio giving Fletcher a hard time, however and was surprised to find the little miscreant coming along rather easily. "In you go you wee devil." She watched him prance away with his flower, a fond smile on her features. "He's already learned to disappear and reappear, I'm surprised that was so easy." Stubborn little creature.

With that settled and nothing else to do with her hands, Eva passed Fletcher another smile, though this time it was a little apprehensive. "Hello," She offered, though she hadn't any idea what was to come next.

5Potfd.png
Fletcher couldn't really help but to stand back and watch her with particular fondness. She really was an amazing woman and saw to her charges with a passion not often seen in others. The soft smile and gentleness she had for the babies made his heart ache for her more, reminding him how much of an ass he'd been with his abrupt departure from the hospital and the less than friendly letter response he'd sent to her. He hated that he'd reacted in such a way but he was there now to make amends, even if she was unaware of just how hurt he'd felt.

"Hello, Eavan," he said softly, offering the best smile he could muster despite the inner turmoil of his own thoughts, "I've brought a picnic. Do you have a preference where we sit?" He'd be content to stay there if she was but he'd leave that choice to her as he slowly began to back track to where the basket and flowers had been left.

After they were picked up, he motioned for her to lead the way but not before offering her the bouquet of purple flowers. "And I brought you these as well," he added albeit a bit sheepishly as he watched her, "They're missing one though. Horatio seems to like purple hyacinths."

BEE-utiful Set!
Following slowly, Eva breezed by him to flip the sign on the outside of the aviary door to "closed" as well as the lock. Something told her this was going to wind up in a serious discussion and she would hate they be interrupted. Plus it wasn't unusual for the aviary to be closed during her lunch hour.

Turning back to Fletcher, she found herself presented with the flowers, which she accepted with an easy smile. "Thank you, they're beautiful." Taking a quick selfish moment, she brought them to her nose to inhale the sweet scent, in an unprecedentedly girlish move. "I've a new couch in my office, why don't we sit there?" She suggested, motioning for him to follow her in. With the blooms in hand, Eva pushed the door open and moved to toward the little faucet in the back so she could fill a bucket for the flowers. It wasn't perfect, but it would help them keep until she left for home.

The aforementioned couch was really the bed she'd been sleeping on during the fog, though she had transfigured it around to serve more as a little daybed, which had come in handy these last couple days. She was still getting tired easily and had already needed to lie down late in the morning for a few minutes.It was the only place she could find peace and quiet at the moment. Everybody in her house was constantly checking in on her, making sure she was alright, asking if she needed anything. It was as endearing as it was maddening.

Once the flowers were set atop the crate serving as a table of sorts, she sank into the couch herself, reveling in the feeling of sitting down. She pulled the snoozing diricawl from her pocket and set the little tyke up in a little pile of towels nearby to sleep. What Eva wouldn't give to do the same right now, but there were more important matters to attend to. "How's the ankle?" She asked for lack of anything better.

5Potfd.png
Fletcher grinned as she took the flowers and pulled them to her face to smell them. It was a sweet and innocent sort of view, her freckled nose burying into the purple petals and the shock of red hair peeking out from around the sides of the bouquet. It struck him then that purple looked to be a good color for her. At least, in his opinion. He could be totally wrong, of course, but he knew little of how fashion dictated thing. He just knew that he liked purple on her. He'd certainly remember that. "You're welcome," he answered simply with a nod before following her into her office.

He glanced around at first, taking in the space. He wasn't quite sure he'd been in her office before and he was the type to take in his surroundings whenever they were new. He heard the water run as she filled the bucket as he moved over to the couch she had mentioned though it looked more like she used it as a bed. He smirked slightly at the sight. Just as much a devoted worked as he was it seemed.

Sitting down on the couch and setting the basket next to him, he stuck his foot out and rotated his ankle as she asked him how it was. "Well enough," he answered with a shrug, "Don't need the crutch anymore. But if I'm on it for too long of a time, it starts to ache something awful." He winced just slightly, almost as if on cue, when he rotated it the opposite direction. It was going to take some time getting back to one hundred percent, but he'd get there.

"Look, Eavan," he started to say as he folded his hands on his knees and looked up to her, the worry and concern in his blue eyes as he watched her, "I'm sorry. I.. I left like a pouting child at the hospital. I could blame it on the fear for you and your injury but that wouldn't be the full truth. I knew what to expect of your dad, at least a little bit, but it still rankled me. And then.. then you didn't exactly come to my aid and helped to dismiss me." He sighed, hoping he wasn't pissing her off but he had to say it all and get it off his chest, to let go of the guilt he felt over it all and the way he acted. "And.. well it hurt," he added, his tone betraying just how much it had hurt, "I know we agreed to wait on telling him anything and I support that and support whatever your decision is on the matter. But I couldn't help but feel hurt. I just needed you to know that. Though I also know I more than likely overreacted following that, which I seem to do in regards to you, so I'm sorry."

BEE-utiful Set!
Relieved to hear his injury was better, Eva tucked herself onto the sofa more comfortably, legs curled up beneath her as she looked at him. She hated to admit that pants were far more comfortable than her skirts, but it was so much easier, she couldn't be bothered to care.

When he spoke next, Eva inhaled slightly and held her breath. It wasn't as easy as she would like to admit, but she listened to him explain without interrupting as best she could, trying to keep her expression neutral. The confusion she'd felt after his letter was warranted, but in her decision to wait was inevitably for the better. Waiting for him to come and explain instead of pushing him and worked out better, she realized.

Taking a moment to gather her thoughts, Eva blew out a soft sigh, scooting toward him on the sofa. "I'm sorry if I upset you. Dismissing you was not really my intention. I was trying to give you an escape from Da," Plus she really hadn't wanted to get into everything right then and there. She did feel guilty that was how it had come across. "He's been... a lot less forgiving since my mum died, especially where I am concerned." Eva looked down at her lap for a moment before back at him. She rarely talked about this, but felt the need to explain. "It was really hard on him, still is. They were so head over heels in love that losing her really changed him." He'd always been a little grumpy and closed off, but had never been short on affection. "But that's no excuse for his behavior, or mine, and I'm sorry."

Everybody was entitled to their emotions and their reactions, as long as they didn't let everything spiral out of control. "I talked to him after you left. I told him you were important to me and that he needed to behave better now that he wasn't in the Amazon anymore. Merlin knows how much sank in, but we'll see." She hoped her father would come around in the long run, though it wouldn't necessarily stop her, it would make things easier.

5Potfd.png
Fletcher watched with wary anticipation as he awaited her response. His gaze wandered over her, actually enjoying the sight of her in such masculine attire. She was decidedly feminine, that was for sure, but she pulled off the masculine clothes rather well. It all just seemed to suit her rather well. But as she sighed and scooted closer to her, his attention was focused solely on her face. Idly, a hand reached out to take her own as his own body was turned to face toward her more.

He listened silently and intently, nodding where appropriate, especially in regards to the loss of her mother. He couldn't imagine how such a thing would affect his family. They'd nearly lost his mother when Abigail had been born. The pregnancy and birth had taken such a toll on her they'd decided it was best if she didn't return to work. He remembered how hard it had been during those days. Actually losing her.. he couldn't even begin to imagine.

But.. he also couldn't imagine losing Eavan. Not now. Not with all they'd been through. So when she finished speaking, he let out a a breath bordering on a sigh of his own. He'd been tense and fearful of how she'd react but it all seemed to be going over far better than he'd anticipated. And her final bit, well it had him smiling at her. He hadn't expected her to say much to her father in regards to him but he hoped it would help them out in the long run. He'd fight for her tooth and nail if need be, especially if she wanted him to be in her life.

Squeezing her hand, he leaned forward to brush a simple and chaste kiss to her lips. It spoke more than any words he could actually say he felt. "Thank you," he ended up saying as he reached for the basket of food and pulled it toward them, "Are you hungry?" He knew he was, perhaps for more than was in the basket but he wasn't about to mention such a thing.

BEE-utiful Set!
Eva tangled her fingers in his easily, relieved to see this going much more smoothly than she anticipated. No real arguing, just explanations and apologies. They did so much better when they had time to cool off and discuss calmly, rather than in the heat of the moment. It was a tricky situation, navigating it would be difficult, but they'd do alright if they could stay on the same page. They just had to communicate better sometimes. Of course that meant she had to tell him what the healers had told her, but she didn't want to ruin this moment either. Soon though, she'd have to let him know.

"Yeah, a little bit." She smiled slowly after he kissed her. Truthfully she was more tired than anything else, which was frustrating, but she felt like she had to push through it. "What did you bring?" She asked as she peered at the basket. Eva could certainly get used to their little picnic theme. She was much better when things were casual in general, but it was growing harder and harder to remain so, not when she was pretty sure she'd fallen for him entirely. It was hard not to when he did things like this, the picnic, the flowers, watching him with Horatio. How they worked, Eva would never know, but they did, somehow and it was hard to ignore just how she felt about it when it was so clear now.

5Potfd.png
Fletcher smiled broadly at her as she admitted to being a little hungry then asking what he had brought. Pulling the basket closer, he opened it after having brought it to his lap. "Some sandwiches, fruit," he started to say as he rummaged around in it, pulling items out as he went, "A box of cookies. I've heard they're quite good."

He glanced up to her then, still smiling, and paused to admire her face. Her very presence did wonders for his own mood and emotion. The fact they'd been able to simply skim right passed an argument only spoke bounds as to how far they'd come in such little time. The day on the beach came flashing to his mind, making his heart ache just enough for his smile to falter a bit. He was quick to brush it off and ignore it though. They had come far and he only saw a bright future ahead of them.

"I even managed to get some lemonade," he continued, pulling a bottle from inside the basket as well though ended up frowning slightly, "I forgot cups though." Well.. he'd done relatively well over all at least.

BEE-utiful Set!
Curling onto the sofa a little more, Eva tried to get comfortable, but she was still in a little bit of pain and so couldn't quite find a good position. She tucked one leg up on the sofa, gently pressed up against his, and one arm on the back, leaning on it like a pillow as she watched him dig through the basket. Her free hand went to her scar, subconsciously trying to ease the feeling of discomfort. It passed after a moment but she found herself nodding along, eyes fluttering closed as he listed off what he'd brought.

A sleepy chuckle left her lips as he admitted that he forgot glasses, but Eva pulled her wand from the long pocket on her trousers and summon a couple from near the sink, hoping they were clean. They landed neatly next to the flowers. "I think they're alright to use, might want to check." She smiled sheepishly. "It all sounds lovely, thank you." Eva for one, was glad this had gone through smoothly as she hadn't had any idea what to expect after his letter. This was lovely way to spend lunch, even if she was well and truly exhausted.

5Potfd.png
Fletcher hadn't been paying much attention to her reactions, or lack of them, as he'd been telling her what was there. It wasn't until he heard her soft chuckle that he looked to her and took note of the true exhaustion he saw there. His features softened almost instantly, a faint smile still lingering as she summoned the glasses next to them. He didn't bother to look at them, simply squeezed her hand instead and brought his other arm around the back of the couch to rest against her head.

"You don't have to eat if you aren't hungry," he said softly. He'd be far from offended if she chose not to eat, after all. "Perhaps you should just rest a little bit," he added, gently stroking her hair as he continued to smile at her, "I'll stay right here with you if you'd like."

BEE-utiful Set!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Felicity Adlard
July 26, 2018 – 2:41 AM
View a Printable Version