Updates
Welcome to Charming
Welcome to Charming, the year is now 1894. It’s time to join us and immerse yourself in scandal and drama interlaced with magic both light and dark.

Where will you fall?

Featured Stamp

Add it to your collection...

Did You Know?
Queen Victoria was known for putting jackets and dresses on her pups, causing clothing for dogs to become so popular that fashion houses for just dog clothes started popping up all over Paris. — Fox
It would be easy to assume that Evangeline came to the Lady Morgana only to pick fights. That wasn't true at all. They also had very good biscuits.
Check Your Privilege

Stupid, foolish girl
August 2nd, 1888 - Durant Family Household
The last month had been nothing short of absolute hell for Durant. One of his daughters had been injured and hospitalised, one was being quiet and staying to herself (that was kind of good), but the last one – his eldest – had been gone from the moment the expedition started.

The very expedition he absolutely did not want to partake in. Almost instantly and as soon as his feet stood on the wooden ground of the train station, Durant knew that the whole ordeal was not his mess and he had no intent on helping the English wizards fix their problems.

However when it was over and he was summoned to the see his daughter, Durant dragged her home almost immediately. It was quite late at night though he was somewhat relieved to see Odette had survived without many injuries.

The following morning, Durant had made one of the servants bring her down for breakfast. In truth, there was no food on the table. Just two glasses of water and Durant was sat at his usual spot.

“I’m glad you’re safe,” He said quietly as she sat down, “But what in the name of all that is alive were you thinking?”

It seemed that Odette had been the only one to make it through her expedition. In all honesty, she found it to be a pitiful finding. Though it was no surprise that her twin would fail, her father's failure was indeed a surprise. A disappointing surprise. But it only showed that Odette was the superior of them all. Her little sister had not even attempted to join in this important journey.

Sadly her group had not been the one who had triumphed over the fog. This was absolutely to blame on the more weak of her group members. One example would be Miss 'Bella'. Indeed, that one having been there at all was surly a hex on their group from the beginning. Who would allow that... that... vile woman to be around proper ladies in at all?

Odette had barely been out of her meeting with Ministry employees when her father had arrived and dragged her home. Utter nonsense, in her eyes. After all, hadn't he been the one to fail? The Slytherin hadn't been able to help the disappointment that she felt over her father's failings. But then she remembered the time that he had bluntly told her that he thought that she was not a proper lady, and the disappointment was less surprising. It seemed that he was not the man that she had looked up to for her whole life.

Morning had brought an unwanted early awakening. One of the servants had been sent by her father. Perhaps it was time that they had a serious talk over this matter. Heading down to find no food, she suppressed the urge to raise an eyebrow at this turn of events. Sitting in her own spot, she listened as her father spoke.

What he said displeased her greatly. "You had granted me permission to join the expedition. I was determined to show my worth by making it through the whole expedition and find answers. If it hadn't been for those I had been paired with, I am sure that results would have been found by my group far sooner." She responded calmly.

MJ made pretties

“Granted you,” Durant began with a defensive tone, “Thinking I would be with you and you would not go running off for a month. But enlighten me, Odette, was your determination prevalent? Did you find answers? To my understanding, it was not your group who found them. You seemed rather distressed when I got you. I imagine it would be true to say you did not do a lot.”

Durant was proud of Odette, really, though his pride was – as it always did – getting the better of him. She was gone for a month and he gave up within an hour of entering the expedition. She didn’t. But she was missing and Durant’s head for the entire month was filled with the worst assumptions.

Now he was being stupid and petty. It was rather childish. This thought coming from his own daughter. How disappointing. "I had no part in deciding who was placed in what group. Having been placed in a group of idiots, they caused roadblocks in my efforts to find answers. As I have already stated, I must add. I almost had, before that Scrimgeour girl made a stupid move and we ended up somewhere else. The nerve of the Ministry, putting respectable members of society in the same group as one so scandalous. I'm sure she even placed bad luck on the whole group." She explained with a surprising amount of calm.

Despite her words, she was even surprising herself at how calm she was being. That was her hard work. Her skills. While he was making himself into a fool, she was being calm and patient. As any lady of her status should. As her twin wasn't. As her father seemed to think that she could not be. It was insulting that he underestimated her so much. Did he know her at all?

MJ made pretties

Durant exhaled deeply at his daughters attempt to defend herself. He didn’t care who she was with; what ‘roadblocks’ were in her place. She had shown nothing more than being a fumbling mess when it came to any sort of adventure, excitement, or danger.

“Your failures are not others to blame. But I understand,” He conceded. In truth, he was rather proud of his daughter though his pride got in the way and as he looked at her and took note of her calm demeanour, Durant let out a soft smile and relaxed his shoulders. Perhaps it would be best to not argue with his daughter in this moment, “the Scrimgeour girl? The one whose father is currently in that… Asylum? In truth, I… I never really trusted him.”

It seemed that he would never accept her achievements no matter what she did. Whether it be her twin’s failures, or that of an entire group of others, she was obsolete and of the complete blame of other’s failings. At least in her father’s eyes, where she had felt it actually mattered… until now.

Even with that, she continued her marvelous act of calm. Though it took every ounce of her being to remain in such a state, she was taught to be lady like. It seemed that she would never earn his approval. This was one thing that she would never forgive. Keeping quiet, she knew that she woulf only prove his doubts right if she corrected him. Even if he was being foolishly wrong. “If any of their actions have proven anything, it has shown that madness may indeed run in that family. A tragic possibility, given their purity in blood and their status.” She commented.

MJ made pretties

Durant shook his head at her remark about status and purist natures. He saw no issue in that; he certainly believed their ideologies (to some extent) though he wasn’t mad and would never ever lay a violent or harmful finger on any of his children. He knew that if any of them did what that Scrimgeour girl had done, he’d simply send them away and forget them. It was easier than facing the aftermath.

“There is nothing wrong with knowing your place in society,” he said sternly for a moment before returning to a calm and quietened tone, “his occupation likely led him down that path – this Ministry of Magic is nothing but a fancy building and people who believe they are important. Even our Burkinabé ministry back home is not like this. If a fog like what happened here, happened there; it would have been sorted within days – no, hours,” Durant exclaimed confidently before exhaling and pausing for a moment.

In that brief moment, Durant saw the look his daughter was giving him. It was not of love or respect but tolerance. She wanted – needed – to be seen for her achievements and that was obvious. He smiled gently and took her hand softly.

“I am proud of you, my Colombe,” Durant said with a softened tone, “I just… you girls act foolish sometimes and I need to ensure you remain aware of your status in life. But I am proud of you.”

Another pause, “your mother would be too.”

The following 1 user Likes Durant Lécuyer's post:
   Naeva Marshall
Her remark was in no way in a negative against their status and purity. She saw the Scrimgeour scandal as a tragic possibility of madness for the sake of risking the possibilities of even more blood traitors and scandals among other pure families. While her status made her proud, she had concerns over how others may now view such a status.

Nodding in agreement to her fatber’s comment regarding knowing one’s place in society, she fully agreed. It was unfortunate that others could not remember their place. She couldn’t very well blame the Ministry for all of this, as her father had chosen to see it. However, she did know that better leadership would certainly lead to better results than how things currently were.

Watching her father as he spoke, and grabbed her hand, she partially wondered what really went through his mind. Plenty of others saw her in a far better light than he did. It was quite frustrating at times. She worked hard, she remained as lady like as possible, and yet it was not enough to him.

Holding in a sigh at his words, she waited until he was finished speaking before saying anything. “Father…. I only wish that you would see my achievements, my progress in life. It just… sometimes it feels as though I am only seen as an extension of my twin. Any faults of hers are equally placed on me. I am not foolish, I work hard to be seen as the lady like woman that I am. I do not mean to make assumptions on how you see me, but it has been your words that have made me come to this conclusion on how I believe you to see me.” She finally said after what felt like forever.

MJ made pretties

Exhaling at her as she spoke, Durant knew the truth that lay behind each word she spoke. There came a time in every fathers life when he had to accept the path that his daughters were going down and for Odette, it seemed as if this path would be one to rise above the others and take her place high above society and exceed expectation beyond all reason.

Though he wished he could simply allow this, his pride told him to argue with her until she saw his way.

“Mhm,” he said as he removed his hand from hers, “though you cannot go across a river by wading through the water. You must have a bridge built instead.”

Hoping his words weren’t lost on her, Durant continued, “Your achievements do not excuse behaviour. You can cross water without getting wet, my child. Do you understand?”

Once again her patience was tested. Once again her father had shown that he was not worthy of the respect that she had been showing him. Still, she didn't allow it to show... though the hints of a frown were beginning to show on her lips. Yes, her patience was being tested. An unfair test. One where the questions were designed only for her to fail.

This is what he thought of her. Acting as if she was making mistakes that were only in his mind. Mistakes that were made by her twin. "I understand. I also understand that I have not stepped near the river. I understand that you refuse to see the bridge that is mine. There may be burns from those who would dare to try to stop me from becoming who I am meant to be, but it stands strong still. I am the woman you say that I am not. The woman who will be a proper wife, mother, and citizen."

He seemed to forget that she was stubborn as well. While she was far more ladylike regarding such things, of course. But she was still stubborn. Though her tone was neutral still, there was a hint of such stubbornness. "Let me prove myself. I request for my twin and I to finally leave the Roses, to begin our searches for husbands. To participate in society." It seemed to be the last hope she had for the day.

The following 1 user Likes Odette Tailler's post:
   Naeva Marshall

MJ made pretties

Nodding at her words, Durant allowed his features to curl into a soft – almost proud – smile. Though he gave his daughters, especially Odette – his eldest – a hard time, it was a tough love that he was certain would yield results and though it hurt sometimes and he could feel his heart tighten at the way they looked at him, he knew it was for the best.

He wanted his daughters to excel. To become the women they needed to be and who they needed to be was not what this strange English society deemed but powerful, influential, and strong. The only way he could achieve that was to ensure they strove to do more than they achieved. And Odette, his wonderful Colombe, who honoured their mother with each breath she drew was doing that.

He thought her silly, at times. He thought her to be too headstrong but as she spoke, he could see the passion burn brightly in her eyes. He could see her expression contort into some false sense of neutral-ness that Durant could see straight through.

He did not say much else. There was no need.

Instead, he simply waved his hands and Odette’s wand flew onto the table in front of her. He then paused for a moment and pondered; a distant gaze in his eyes as he looked past Odette and saw, deep within her eyes, his lost love. Their mother.

“I’ll contact Mrs Abercrombie in the morning.”

Was that... pride? It felt like forever since she had seen pride on her father's face. Odette had always felt as if he had no pride left to give. Perhaps it would come more easily to him once she had successfully found a husband. And she would find a husband.

His words, however, caused her eyes to widen slightly. Doing her best to remain calm, she smiled with possibly one of the warmest smiles she had given in months. "Thank you, father." This would be her chance, to show that she was not her twin.

MJ made pretties

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Morgana Gaunt
September 6, 2019 – 7:20 AM
Last Post by Caroline Darrow
August 30, 2019 – 3:01 PM
Last Post by Cameron Gillenwater
January 9, 2019 – 5:30 AM
Last Post by Lucille Lukeson
October 27, 2018 – 1:39 PM
Last Post by Jude Wright