Updates
Welcome to Charming
Welcome to Charming, the year is now 1894. It’s time to join us and immerse yourself in scandal and drama interlaced with magic both light and dark.

Where will you fall?

Featured Stamp

Add it to your collection...

Did You Know?
It’s quite unusual for a caster's patronus to be their favourite animal, but very possible that it will take the shape of a creature they’ve never before seen or heard of. — Amy
As he fell, Ford recalled the trials of Gulliver during his interactions with the Lilliputians.
Potato Wars

Private
demons are shouting down the better angels in your mind
Yes, she does, Elias almost protested, when Irene defended Daff. She had been the one who’d been cut off in the middle of a significant conversation; she was the one who had been happy to make the graceful exit; she was the one who had been here first. He ought to be sorry: he had never been very good at putting their friendship first.

But he didn’t know how to say this to her without feeling even more stupid and sorrowful about the way he’d followed Daff like that. (She wouldn’t let him do anything for her – but then what did she expect him to do? He hated this, hated having to chase her as she ran away. She had done it once before, tried to slip out of his life... But hadn’t he made it clear how he felt? About everything, about Irene? Hadn’t he tried to be patient with her, and understanding, and – what? She looked in through the window and only saw what she wanted to see instead.)

He finished his flinging the tools around, hanging up a handsaw and setting files down with a series of dull thuds and losing the twig-trimmers about three times in the process before he calmed down. Stopping for breath and leaning against the edge of the bench again, he looked at Irene properly now.

She’d changed her mind about the cat, then. (Or she hadn’t been going to ask him about the cat at all?) “Oh,” Elias said, no less bewildered than before – but he offered her an attempt at a half-smile about the sooty paw prints, grateful for her attempt at lifting their spirits now. “I wouldn’t mind,” he teased, as lightly as he could.

He still didn’t feel satisfied with where they had left things before Daffy had arrived, but he heaved another exhale and found the words for one serious question, at least. “Then you’ve decided you’ll at least go?” he remarked. The letter had said Italy, hadn’t it? That was good: Irene was going to give Mrs. Shaw and the possibility of some new family a chance. He smiled at her more fully, proud of her for that – it would take courage, but she had that – and echoed the sentiment he had tried to offer her before. “I'm glad. I’m happy for you.”

The following 3 users Like Elias Grimstone's post:
   Alice Dawson, Daffodil Grimstone, Irene Crawley

look ANOTHER beautiful bee!set <3
Desperate to leave the past few minutes behind them, Irene caught onto his jest like a lifeline: “You will care very much when you wake up and your entire workstation is covered in paw prints, Elias.” It was true; Irene had done that very same thing for the first few weeks before she’d decided to keep the monster. “You don’t want to explain that to customers, trust me.” She winced before casting him a look that said there was more to that story; to be told at a later date.

She’d hoped that he wouldn’t ask her what she had been about to say - that he’d buy her story about taking care of the cat - and so she tensed when he sighed and opened his mouth to ask her a question. But thankfully it wasn’t as she feared, and she relaxed, if only for a fraction of a second.

‘You’ll at least go?’

She wanted to tell him what conclusion she’d come to, that he had no idea how close to the truth his question had demanded of her. But it was time for her to get used to not confiding in him as closely. It was a lonely feeling.

“Yes.” Irene replied, straightening up and returning his smile. “There’s a lot that I need to do, now that I’ve decided. I must…I’ll need to write a few letters, make arrangements….” She trailed off, forcing herself to remain resolute. This was not the time for her to ask him anything, as tempted as she might be. She swallowed everything, and it left a sour taste on her tongue. “I’ll need to get going if I want the owl to get to Mrs. Shaw and Mr. Wilson by an appropriate time tonight.” Perhaps a week would be enough for her to get everything in order.

With her mind running through the list of tasks, Irene headed for the door. She paused with the hand on the doorknob, feeling as if she had to put another bandage on the evening. “Elias…don’t let the ghosts of your past prevent you from being happy.” She turned and stared at him for one long moment before looking away sharply. “Don’t…don’t make the same mistakes I have.” Don't let your stubbornness, your fears get in the way of your happiness.

And with that she turned around and left.

The following 2 users Like Irene Crawley's post:
   Alice Dawson, Daffodil Grimstone

as of 20 Dec 1893, Irene's hair is cut short above her shoulders
[Image: m55873.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
View a Printable Version