Updates
Welcome to Charming
Welcome to Charming, the year is now 1894. It’s time to join us and immerse yourself in scandal and drama interlaced with magic both light and dark.

Where will you fall?

Featured Stamp

Add it to your collection...

Did You Know?
It’s quite unusual for a caster's patronus to be their favourite animal, but very possible that it will take the shape of a creature they’ve never before seen or heard of. — Amy
As he fell, Ford recalled the trials of Gulliver during his interactions with the Lilliputians.
Potato Wars

Private
ghost stories
21 October, 1893 — Leonid Fisk's House
You asked me why I love you and I said, "I don't know"
And I could tell you were disappointed with that answer so I carried on, said
"I mean I've loved a lot of people in my life, or I thought I have
I guess I've written them all off when they leave, or I leave them
You know, because, that means, doesn't it
That means that it couldn't have been love to begin with
So why not just write it off?

Victor had expected the Spirit Division fellow to be angrier than he was, when the whole mess was sorted out. Victor had lied (or at least omitted rather most of the necessary context) in order to get him to take him to the Dempsey house in the first place, after all. Whatever irritation he might have been feeling at being blindsided seemed to have been tempered by pity after whatever he'd overheard through the door, though. Back through the floo and at the Ministry, Greengrass had seemed more mopey than anything. That was fine by Victor, who wasn't up for much conversation. He certainly wasn't up for revisiting the whole situation for Desiderius Morgan, so he had slipped back out the Ministry door and onto the streets of Hogsmeade before Greengrass could tell him whether or not his presence was required in the Spirit Division for anything else. If they needed him to make a statement or something, they knew where to find him, he supposed.

It occurred to him halfway back to the house that they might actually hunt him down for something a little more aggressive than making a statement. Christabel's brother was soon to be the Minister, and he'd already threatened to have Victor magically removed from the house. He might pressure the Spirit Division to issue a restraining order, or an arrest, or something — or maybe they'd do that even without Ozymandias pressuring them to, given how much of a loose canon he'd acted today. (He had not exactly been planning to storm the Dempsey house and threaten to search it top to bottom in order to find Christabel, even if she didn't want to talk to him, but that was in effect what had occurred). The idea of going home and waiting around for someone to come and lecture him on ghostly etiquette, or give him a slap on the wrist and tut tut about his behavior, was positively odious. Particularly since Beatrice, she of the well I simply don't understand why you can't be bothered to knock, and nevermind that you no longer have hands, would of course be at home to observe the whole thing and look smug, and lord it over him for years to come.

So he simply didn't go home. There was nothing positive waiting for him at home. Bea had made it clear that she saw his continued existence as inconvenient. Christabel only cared about herself. The only purpose in hovering at home would be waiting for depressing things to happen — the Spirit Division to come chastise him or Christabel to come fetch her things and try to make another scene where she could play the victim. He didn't want to go home and wait for those things. He didn't want to go home until all of this was over, and all the unpleasant things were far behind him. And he had time, was the thing — he could disappear, for a week or a month or a year, and it wouldn't make the least bit of difference to anyone. The only trouble was figuring out where to go.

It was lucky that he still remembered which building it was; he hadn't been here in months. Talking to Leo had the same depressing aura that talking to Christabel had had, since his death: he felt that just by existing in the room he was reminding them of their grief, and their grief reminded him of what he had lost, and it ended up unpleasant for everyone. After this latest fight with his wife, though, he wondered if he had been unfair to Leo in drawing those conclusions. He'd had far more conversations with Belle, obviously, because she'd lived in the same house — but it was clear to him now that she had only ever held her own feelings close to her heart, and had never cared much for his. Maybe in his interactions with Leonid he'd been projecting all the negative feelings from conversations with Christabel. Maybe he'd been cutting himself off from someone who might really care about him, in the name of trying to make it easier for them both.

It was the right house, though; he recognized the furniture when he drifted in through the side of one of the walls. By this point it was evening (he had wandered the woods on the edge of Hogsmeade a while, thinking) and Leonid was home.

"My wife left me," he announced, then, "Oh, sorry. Was I interrupting anything?"
Leonid Fisk Tycho Dodonus

Fabulous set by Lady!
Leonid had spent part of his day at the annual East Ridge Farm Celebrations. It had been a lot of fun and he had come home with a variety of things. He had set them aside for the moment as he took off his outing clothes and got into his house robe. Perhaps he would have a bath before bed but that would be later, he decided. He was going about the usual, mundane things he tended to do when arriving home from either work or some event (the latter this time) and not yet being ready to go to bed for the night.

He had just settled in one of his bigger, cozier armchairs with a book when Victor made his arrival known. It had been a while since he had seen the other so he wasn't quite sure how to react. Even so, he set the book aside and gave the other a sympathetic look. "Nothing important, I just arrived home from being out," he assured before returning the topic to the others announcement. "So your wife left? Do you want to talk about it? Vent?"

Set by MJ
Leo said no, but when Victor noted that he was setting aside a book he still felt as though he were interrupting. It had been a long time since Victor had had the luxury of reading something; he would have liked to have been left alone with a book for a while. He had to fight the urge to stop the conversation and ask what Leonid was reading, but he recognized that only half of that impulse was curiosity, and the other half was being quite willing to avoid the more fraught conversation he'd been intending to have. And since he had floated in and started with a dramatic announcement, he probably ought to see it through, now.

"Yes," he agreed, to wanting to talk about it (or to vent — he wasn't entirely sure that what started as the former wouldn't veer into the latter). "Er — actually, that probably wasn't the right way to start. The conversation I actually ought to have, anyway." It was the start of the train of thought that had lead him here today, but the context went back a lot further — and probably at some point he would have to address the fact that he hadn't visited Leo for months.

He paused and made a gesture as though to wipe the slate clean. "I've been going a little bit crazy, since yesterday night, and it's made me realize some things."

Fabulous set by Lady!
Leonids curiosity was admittedly piqued. They had not talked much about Victors wife beyond Victor informing Leonid that she was going to exist when the other man had been courting her. He had gleaned enough to know Victor had held affection for her and he had always been satisfied with the feeling that Victor had affection for him as well.

Though then Victor had hardly spoken to him in a long while so perhaps that had all been one-sided, Leonid reflected. But considering he had never been dead or a ghost, he had also figured that might be a little unfair to feel or think. He was sure a Ghost must have a lot more things to deal with then a former lover and he didn't want to add to the emotional burden by voicing any of this.

"And what are these things you have realized?" Leo asked, his gaze falling to a particular tendril of Victors hair he had always enjoyed playing with when the man had been living. "I'm here for you."

The following 1 user Likes Leonid Fisk's post:
   Victor Daphnel

Set by MJ
One sentence, but it perfectly encapsulated the difference between his interactions with Leonid since his death and those with Christabel. How had he been so blind as to think they'd had any similarities at all? I'm here for you, Leonid said. Christabel had said what does this mean for me in the first conversation they'd had after his death, where Leo had offered to turn the pages of books for him. And earlier today, where Christabel, knowing all of the context of the situation and having heard how he was feeling, emotions he hadn't shared with anyone else, had said and yet you were not the one who lost everything; Leonid, knowing nothing at all, and after Victor had all but cut him off for months, said I'm here for you.

"I don't think I deserve that," Victor said, voice wavering slightly. "But thank you. I've realized — I think I've had my priorities all wrong," he continued, swallowing. "Not just since I died. Probably forever. And I think I'd like to — stop."

Fabulous set by Lady!
Leonid listened sympathetically as Victor spoke. "What priorities?" He could not help but ask as he settled in to listen to the spirit speak. He supposed one highlight of being dead was that Victor had all the time in the world to stop and rearrange what he found to be a priority. "Is stopping something you feel capable of?" After all, with most things in life, things were easier said than done. It was all too easy for people to fall into old habits.

Set by MJ
Was he capable of stopping? Good question, he supposed. He'd been following the same patterns all his life; why should the resolve of an afternoon change anything?

"I think so," he said, then a thought occurred to him and he added with a slightly manic look: "Old habits die hard, but I've died once already. I think my habits can afford to do the same."

As for what the priorities were... "I want to stop spending my time and energy making other people happy. I wasted my whole life trying to do that." Literally, since he was fairly certain the only reason he was here as a spirit at all was because he'd thought, subconsciously, he'd be letting his family down by dying. "I want to do something that makes me happy."

Fabulous set by Lady!
Leonid supposed Victor had a point there. Besides, the other man had all the time in the world now to develop new habits and break off from old ones.

"I am all for that. You deserve to be happy," Leonid said with a smile. "Now more than ever is when you should get to focus on yourself." The man had died, surely no one would fault Victor for doing things for his own self.

Set by MJ
Victor was struck once again by the stark contrast between this conversation and the argument he'd had with Christabel earlier today. He opened his mouth partway, feeling as though he'd lost his train of thought, then he blurted out: "Spending more time with you would make me happy."

This had been what he'd been driving towards since he came in, but he was still a little embarrassed to have said it so bluntly. A beat passed where he merely looked stricken by his own words, then he continued hastily, "If that would make you happy — I mean I know we can't — touch, or —"

Fabulous set by Lady!
Oh. Leonid was not quite sure what he had been expecting Victor to say but it had not been that. Not after the months of radio silence where his knowledge that Victor had not just somehow vanished completely had come from others having seen Victor and other rumours surrounding the ghost.

Not that he was against it, of course. Quite the opposite. He could not help but chuckle as Victor mentioned how they could not touch (at this point, Leonid was still ignorant to the existence of Spiritus Sancti). Now that was a bummer but he was sure that there were other things that they could do. Such as reading together or something of the like. He was sure he had suggested that before during one of the first times he had encountered Victor after the mans death.

"It would make me very happy," Leonid said. "While touching you was always a delight that I miss, that was not all we did together, did we?" The instances had been few given how rare the occasions to meet for long periods after the mans marriage had been but they had existed nonetheless. He felt shy now for some reason and it was making him feel more awkward than usual.

Set by MJ
Victor looked a little sheepish, but pleased too. "Well, it was a lot of what we did," he pointed out. And maybe that wasn't exactly true when one broke down the time they'd spent together minute-by-minute, but it was true that whenever they'd been together privately, sex had been at least a feature of the experience at some point or another. They hadn't exactly gone promenading around the lake in Padmore Park or sat in parlors taking tea together. They'd talked, shared stories or jokes, but most often in the afterglow while one or both of them were in some state of undress. And despite what Leonid had always said, despite talking about feelings and love and all of that, Victor had always worried that after his death those feelings would fade with the memories of his touch. Leo was the first man Victor had ever been with who seemed to want more than just the physicality of it all. No matter what he said about emotions and connections, there had always been a part of Victor which had never entirely believed him.

"I don't really need to sleep anymore," he said, still sheepish. He was still reticent to talk about the things that made him different from living people, sometimes, as though if he avoided mentioning them then no one else would notice them. But sleep was something that bodies needed, and it had actually taken him several weeks after his death to even figure out how to sleep without a body pushing him towards it. He hadn't realized it, but fatigue had often been the only thing that quieted his mind when he was alive — when the physical drowsiness was gone, he'd had to learn how to quiet his thoughts himself, which was harder than it sounded. "So I could come by any night. That's probably better than daytime, right? Though you still need to sleep, of course."

Fabulous set by Lady!
"Well, you could always watch me touch myself but I don't know how pleasant that would be for you," Leonid mused. If anything, he felt it would probably frustrate Victor to not be able to do anything about it but watch.

He smiled as Victor pointed out that he didn't need sleep anymore. "I am used to sleeping odd hours," Leonid said with a chuckle. When he was out in the field, he didn't always get the luxury of a full nights sleep. And none of that had harmed him any. Besides, he would do most anything for some time with his lover.

Set by MJ
If Victor still had blood running through his veins he would have flushed at the suggestion. As it was he looked shocked for a second — more at how frankly Leo had said it than what he had said. It had been a long time since he'd openly talked about sex with anyone. Before his death, as a matter of fact, and probably still with Leonid; it wasn't the sort of thing Christabel and he had ever discussed, even when they'd been having it, because of the bounds of propriety.

"I, uh —" he eventually said, feeling inexplicably shy and sure that he looked it as well. "I'd like that, actually."

Fabulous set by Lady!
Leonid wasn't sure what to make of Victors shock and it was making him feel a little self-conscious. He could see why it might be shocking though. It wasn't like he had offered it before. He hadn't needed to when they were alive as they were usually very well preoccupied.

"Oh," Leonid said, biting his lower lip to fight against the urge to grin like a maniac. "Just say the word and I'll do that for you."

Set by MJ
The barely-contained look on Leo's face as he replied said it all. It was such a stark contrast from the past ten months to have someone excited to do something with him again that Victor couldn't help but feel a little giddy. He hadn't expected that to happen again, after he'd died.

"The word," he said, tone teasing on the surface but also, on a deeper level, still a bit shy, as though he could not believe this turn of events had actually taken place.

Fabulous set by Lady!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by William Abbott
August 24, 2023 – 2:03 AM
View a Printable Version