Updates
Welcome to Charming
Welcome to Charming, the year is now 1894. It’s time to join us and immerse yourself in scandal and drama interlaced with magic both light and dark.

Where will you fall?

Featured Stamp

Add it to your collection...

Did You Know?
It’s quite unusual for a caster's patronus to be their favourite animal, but very possible that it will take the shape of a creature they’ve never before seen or heard of. — Amy
As he fell, Ford recalled the trials of Gulliver during his interactions with the Lilliputians.
Potato Wars

See Inside
I Still Can't Dance Around that Memory I Don't Mess With
"I highly doubt that," she had yet to be bored by his company, so she suspected that would not be the case. Not to mention Hogwarts was hardly boring in any manner. Everything she had heard so far from the wide variety of people she’d been able to talk to about it.

"Magical creatures?" Sadie found herself interrupting only once, in excitement, as she listened to him recount his school days. She enjoyed the way he told the story just as much as the story itself. The enjoyment seemed to flow right into the words and once again, Sadie found herself wistful for a place she could scarcely imagine.

She hadn’t any idea what a demiguise was, but she was certain she would be picking up a book about magical creatures as soon as she came back to town this week. "Sounds like quite the adventure." It must have been absolutely delightful.

[Image: Sloane-Sig94.png]
Miss Sinclair seemed delighted with his choice of story, he could tell in the excitement of her tone when she exclaimed over magical creatures and the way her face lit up. “I’m not sure I’d count it as an adventure, but Seamus would likely disagree with me.” In fact his dorm mate rather hated demiguises after that. “He was quite happy when lectures turned to hippogriff care instead. I don’t think I’ve seen anyone more excited to discuss a giant bird.” Jeremy shook his head in amusement.

“Of course flying class was another popular course. Unfortunately it was only taught first year, so most of us joined flying club and team quidditch to make up for it.” A moment too late he realized that perhaps she might not like discussing riding in any capacity, he had thought to see her smile, to watch that excitement light up her face again that he hadn’t even considered it might do the opposite. “Have you ever ridden a broom Miss Sinclair?” Or only horses? He left unspoken.

Hippogriffs got added to her list of things to investigate as well. There was so much more to the magical world that she scarcely scratched the surface of that she wanted to dive in headfirst and read as much as she could. "Flying," Sadie sighed. It was something she would have loved to try, but it was never allowed.

"Just horses, which I enjoy greatly, but I would like to try a broom." Just once, just to say she had given it a try. What could be more magical than that? “I didn’t know there was a whole course for it. I doubt I would have been, or be very good at it, but it does sound exciting.” It was hard to miss something she hadn’t ever thought much about, but she was nostalgic for it nevertheless.

Sadie sipped at her champagne, wrinkling her nose just a little as the bubble hit. She had tried it before of course but hadn’t quite gotten used to the sensation. "Do you still fly?" Was it something most people did even after Hogwarts? Sadie was realizing there was a whole side to magical life she had been missing out on, and not just the educational bit.

The young lady didn’t seem put out by his topic, instead she seemed wishful. Jeremy nodded at her comment, “I should love to teach you sometime.” And that was too forward, of course, he smoothly added, “With your aunt’s permission of course.” Although given what he’d learned of her thus far he doubted she would be allowed, especially after a riding accident.

“I do, although not as much as I would like. There always seems to be something else that needs my attention.” Granted flying had never been his first love. He’d enjoyed it, tried out for the team because it was the thing to do. He’d even been surprised he’d made the team in the first place.

“I hope you don’t mind me asking, but do you still ride?” He certainly couldn’t blame her if she didn’t any more. But part of him wondered how she had reacted to the accident last summer, versus how her family had reacted. What had been her decision and what had been her aunt’s?

Sadie lifted her eyebrows hopefully at the offer to teach her to fly. "Truly?" Nobody had ever even thought she was capable, though of course she had no idea, but could it be that different from riding a horse? The permission part was tricky, but perhaps she could swing it, with a proper chaperone and in a field of soft landings.

"I do still ride, it’s one of my favorite ways to pass a warm afternoon." It was without the vigor she once was able to ride with, but at least she had been allowed back on a horse. Sadie would go absolutely mad if she was confined to the house all of the time. She had to have something to do that wasn’t sitting and learning or reading. "I enjoy being outdoors, gardening, riding, anything really." Sadie was a creature of summer, warm weather, and sunshine. She liked to get her hands dirty in the garden, to hide away with a novel under the tree in the backyard, to take long walks through the estate.

"What about you? How do you like to pass your time?" Sadie had heard of his school days, but not of what currently occupied him or if he had an occupation instead.

“Truly.” Jeremy affirmed. The look on her face was worth the offer. He couldn’t quite place it, but he knew he would be happy to see it on her face yet again. Perhaps he might be rewarded with it again if he were able to find a chance to teach her.

“Perhaps I might join you for a ride one day?” Like most of the members of his social sphere he had learned to ride at an early age as well as to fly. Granted his mother, if he recalled correctly, preferred the riding to the flying. Looking back he really couldn’t blame her. Less far to fall from a horse than a broom.

But there was a look on her face, similar to the look on her face when he mentioned teaching her to fly, as she spoke about the outside in the summer. It made him want to join her in the gardens, even if he’d found gardening terribly dull. Perhaps when the weather was warmer he might contrive to have his sister or mother host a picnic and invite Miss Sinclair. He suspected she’d love it. They could even have it in the park here in town so she might get the chance to visit again. He held his thoughts to his own confidence though, not wanting to disappoint if he were not able to arrange such a feat. Not to mention he found he rather looked forward to an opportunity to surprise Miss Sinclair in the months to come.

Ah, just what did he do with his days? Jeremy always found his answers to this question unsatisfactory. “I fear it’s terribly dull.” He admitted with a shrug, taking a sip of his champagne and looking out at the crowd around them. “I help my father with our estate.” They owned plenty of properties to manage outside of Hogsmeade as well, including their original manor. “It amounts to an awful large amount of paperwork. I would much rather join you outside reading.” He smiled at her, his gaze pulling away from the rest of the room again.

“And when it is winter, how do you occupy your time then?” He deftly turned the conversation back to Miss Sinclair, although he was beginning to think he had begun to monopolize her company. He ought to let the other gentleman have a chance to speak with her. But a moment or two more of selfishness to enjoy her company and conversation wouldn’t hurt, would it?

"I would like both of those very much." Sadie agreed, cheeks warming and smiling brightening. It would take some convincing, but she rather thought starting with a ride would be simple enough. If anything, her aunt should be proud of her for earning a gentleman’s attention, even if she didn’t look at it that way herself. Sadie was starved for interaction outside of her own family and even though she oughtn’t be quite so eager, it was nice to have that of Mr. Ashford’s at the moment, and perhaps in the future. That he might plan to call upon her more than once was a surprise, but she would be lying if she said the thought didn’t thrill her. Perhaps this season would not be so bad if she could keep running into him. "Sounds quite responsible of you." She said of his time. It made sense though, it must have been a lot of work.

He turned the question back around on her and she quipped, "It’s terribly dull I’m afraid." The echo of his sentiment came out in another sigh. "Reading, lessons, I’m working on my French. I do like to play the piano." Learning from scratch had been a chore, and she was still working on it, but it was a nice creative outlet. "Needlepoint, it’s all dreadfully proper and boring. At home I have a little greenhouse, but since we are visiting, no such luck here." Perhaps she could convince her aunt for a trip to London soon, she hadn’t been to Evergardens or the museum in a while, that would be a refreshing trip, even if she was loath to leave Hogsmeade.

Her words prompted a wry smile as she echoed him. “I admit I’m rather envious of your days.” Minus the needlepoint, that did seem terribly dull, he’d never understood how his mother and sister could sit and stitch all day, although he did have to admit that the projects they created were beautiful. “Reading, lessons, French. It sounds stimulating.” And he sounded like an old man who had no life.

“I have always enjoyed listening to my sister play the piano. Although, I fear I haven’t the talent for it myself.” Musicians for sons was definitely not something his family approved of. “What type of books do you enjoy? I rarely have time to read.” He admitted. Somehow he always found himself with a million other tasks to complete, whether it was social calls, paperwork, answering letters, or social events there was always something.

Funny, how people always thought the grass was greener on the other side. She supposed her days weren't all that awful, boring sometimes, yes, but mostly for lack of human interaction.

"I do like to learn new things," she admitted. Having a going education was good for some things; she'd been able to dive deep into subjects that truly interested her, instead of having to take all the ones thought to be important. Learning a language was just plain useful too.

"I'm not very good at it. I had to start over this summer after the accident." Sadie chuckled, hoping to keep the mood light. It was kind of dreadful, but it wasn't so bad. "Mostly adventure novels, stories about places I'll never get to visit." And a romance novel here and there, but that needn’t be admitted aloud.

It seemed she had far too much time on her hands and he far too little, what a pity. Sadie always thought people should make time for themselves and the things they enjoyed, but it came from a place lacking responsibility on her part. She was sure he was as busy as he claimed and life did not always work out like that.

Jeremy could entirely understand the thirst for knowledge. He'd always been like a sponge for information, soaking it up where he could. But his thoughts were distracted by her next words. Having to start over in anything meant her injury had to have been very serious. He had some suspicion of this during their conversation but now he was beginning to realize the full extent and the question was coming out of his mouth before he realized it, his brows knitted in concern, “It was that serious a fall then?”

“That sounds like my type of books.” Although when he'd last had time to indulge in the like was beyond him.

“Do you enjoy your French lessons as well?” He asked, recalling his own French lessons, even with the years removed from those lessons his French was still passable. Which helped given his father's business interests in France. “I occasionally travel to France.” He admitted with a shrug, “It's like a lesson each time I go, a lesson I find I still enjoy” His mother enjoyed traveling to Paris for latest fashions when he or his father looked in on their ventures on the continent. Jeremy for his part enjoyed the experience of a different language and culture. The trips were rare but he briefly found himself wondering what it would be like to have Miss Sinclair travel with him. He could almost envision the excitement on her face, her eyes lighting up as they had when he mentioned flying. But it was a fleeting fancy for he'd only met the young lady and she likely did not feel the same toward him. Yet. Perhaps he might see her again and find this same draw toward her. Or perhaps he'd find the champagne and atmosphere had gotten to them both and it truly was nothing more a fleeting fancy.

Sadie often forgot she probably shouldn’t speak of her accident so casually. Having had more than one in her life, she supposed it was so normal that she didn’t think about it. Still, it probably didn’t make for polite society conversation. Mr. Ashford seemed genuinely concerned and now he had asked and it would be terribly rude of her to ignore the question. "Unfortunately, I was thrown, I hit my head. I suffer from a general memory loss, several years worth, well most of my life really." As far as she knew. She got snippets here and there, but what she did see in her dreams felt like another life, another person’s so it was hard to tell just what exactly was true and what wasn’t. At least she had the forethought not to try and show him the scar that sat just behind her hairline, above her temple.

"It’s useful, I don’t have a terrible accent. I was hoping to visit Paris at some point in my life." Maybe if she married it would happen. That Mr. Ashford traveled to France every once in a while brought another bright smile to her lips. "What is it like?" Was Paris a city like every other? What about the more rural, charming parts of the country? She would love to see the southern parts, where the weather was warmer and the sea breeze came in off the tides. Sadie found herself sipping her champagne almost idly, as if she had forgotten about it completely, lost in the conversation. She would likely have to depart for her next dance soon and the thought was disheartening. Would it be uncouth to search him out after to continue?

Bloody hell. For a young lady to suffer such tragedy… and yet she stood tall, facing life with admirable courage after such a situation. He felt that it told him much about her, who she was when faced with challenges and it made him admire her. “That must be hard to grapple with.” He found his words put forth mildly and was grateful to find she took the change in topic with ease.

“I hope you get to see it.” If he could he would take her, walk with her along the Seine, see the Notre Dame Cathedral. Again it was too easy to envision, too easy for those ideas to flit through his mind. Curiosity filled her eyes as she asked after it, Jeremy was about to answer when he saw Mister Havenbough approaching Miss Sinclair. He must be her next dance partner. “I shall have to find another time to sate your curiosity,” Jeremy told her kindly, nodding toward the gentleman who approached them, “I believe I’ve already taken too much of your attention this evening.”

The other man joined their circle Jeremy bowed to him, “Good evening Mister Havenbough.” They had attended school together, were friendly with each other, but the thought of Havenbough paying a closer attention to Miss Sinclair didn’t sit well with him. Jeremy was beginning to think he was rather a foolish man. “Until next time, Miss Sinclair.” Because there would be a next time, he was intrigued and would make sure to find a way to pay call to the young lady before him. He bowed over her hand and kissed her gloved knuckles, peering up at her eyes as his lips left her hand. Before he could think better of it he gently squeezed her hand as well just before he let go and stepped away.

Would it be too much to admit she was used to it? It wasn't a wonderful feeling, to lose all of the attachments of her youth, but Sadie had never been the kind to dwell for too long on the negative. "Thank you for your sympathy, I'm alright." Things were much better now. She hadn't had a fit or a headache in a while, so she would count this as a win.

She was unfortunately deterred from saying more as her next dance partner appeared, ready for their turn about the dance floor. Sadie downed her champagne quickly, one quick sip and set the flute aside. "Not at all, I enjoyed myself thoroughly." It had to be said before she was whisked away. It was awkward and she managed to keep the flush on her cheeks to a minimum in the company of Mr. Havenbough. She also managed to maintain a neutrally positive expression as he kissed the back of her hand. It wouldn't do to frown at his retreating form when she was about to dance with another.

With a bright smile, she passed her other hand to Mr. Havenbough and allowed him to lead her onto the dance floor. Fortunately this was a quadrille and therefore quicker and less amenable to chatter. She was too lost in her thoughts to be of much use for that this time.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Avery Davenport
February 19, 2024 – 12:20 AM
Last Post by Elias Grimstone
November 6, 2023 – 1:37 AM
View a Printable Version