Updates
Welcome to Charming
Welcome to Charming, the year is now 1894. It’s time to join us and immerse yourself in scandal and drama interlaced with magic both light and dark.

Where will you fall?

Featured Stamp

Add it to your collection...

Did You Know?
It’s quite unusual for a caster's patronus to be their favourite animal, but very possible that it will take the shape of a creature they’ve never before seen or heard of. — Amy
As he fell, Ford recalled the trials of Gulliver during his interactions with the Lilliputians.
Potato Wars

Private
Passing the Torch
August 31st, 1893 — Rowle House, Wellingtonshire, Hogsmeade

"It is quite fortunate, Miss Banges, that you were available—well," Dr. Wystan Pomfrey hastened to add, "perhaps 'fortunate' is not the right word, given how your last position came to its end, but..."

He trailed off, a small, sheepish smile buried amidst his facial hair, feeling altogether awkward and eager to move on for The Reason for their conversation. That reason was, presently, bedridden down the corridor from them: Mr. Algernon Rowle had suffered so severe a stroke the previous Sunday that he had not awoken since. This was not the first time one of the doctors Pomfrey had seen such a thing, but Stan and his father both were hopeful that, with the right care, Mr. Rowle would awaken when his mind and body had had the time they needed to heal and be... well none the worse for wear was probably optimistic, but 'in many ways himself' was altogether possible.

As a private nurse-caretaker, Miss Aditi Banges came highly recommended. Indeed, she had shared patients with the Pomfreys before, and both Stan and his father found her to be diligent, knowledgeable, and of high moral standing. Thus, when he had learned of her availability, he had recommended her at once to Mr. Rowle (Robert Rowle, that is, who was not in a coma) as an alternative to long-term hospitalization. Algernon Rowle was a formidable man, and though Stan did not know him well, he knew him well enough to know that convalescing at home would be greatly preferable to him.

(That it meant continued visits from, and income for, the Pomfreys was a fringe benefit.)

"Mrs. Bourne, the housekeeper, has indicated that the family was... reluctant, to set you up in the former Mrs. Rowle's quarters, but have insisted that Mr. Rowle's dressing room be appropriately fitted for your comfort—bed, basin, things of that nature," Stan continued as the pair walked down the corridor. "It is important that you be close at hand to your charge, after all."
Aditi Banges

graphics by the glorious mj!
Newly arrived in the Rowle residence, Aditi Banges maintained her composed demeanor as Dr. Pomfrey addressed her. Her lips curved into an understanding smile as she listened to the doctor's attempt at navigating the awkwardness that naturally accompanied introductions, especially under these circumstances. "Dr. Pomfrey," she responded, her tone politely, and quietly amused, "It is alas, the nature of end of life care." she gave a small inclination of her head, a demure acknowledgment of her former employer's passing, 'but I was only glad I was able to support him at the end'

As Dr. Pomfrey continued to explain the situation, Aditi's curiosity was piqued by the mention of the Rowle family. They were exactly the sort of people she wanted to have as clients, pureblooded, wealthy - the right sort. Aditi's gaze shifted momentarily towards the door to the room where Mr. Algernon Rowle lay, a man whose life had been interrupted by illness. "Please, rest assured, Dr. Pomfrey, that I'm well-prepared to provide the care and attention Mr. Rowle requires during his recovery."

The transition to the matter of her accommodation was seamless, and Aditi's smile grew softer as she replied, "Dr. Pomfrey. Please believe me when I say that my focus is entirely on Mr. Rowle's well-being. I am confident I will be quite comfortable wherever I am placed. Being close at hand to my charge is of utmost importance, as you rightly mentioned." her tone business.

'I heard that he had a stroke?' she pressed for clarification, 'Is that correct?'

"Indeed," the physician affirmed, "though I do not expect it will be end of life care in this particular placement. My father and I, as well as a third healer from the local hospital, are in agreement that as he still lives, it is likely he will continue to do so, as long as a diligent party," he smiled at the nurse, "tends to his most foundational needs."

The pair found themselves now at the door to Mr. Rowle's bedchamber, which remained closed.

"When he wakes, however, is an altogether different matter, as is the state he will be in once he does. I am certain you understand, Nurse Banges, that the family is very anxious that he should make as full a recovery as possible."
Aditi Banges

Aditi nodded thoughtfully as she listened to Dr. Pomfrey's words. His confidence in Mr. Rowle's potential for recovery was reassuring, and she appreciated the collaborative approach involving both him and his father, as well as the local hospital's expertise. She met his smile with a professional and respectful one of her own. "I'm so glad to hear his prognosis is so positive, Dr. Pomfrey."

As they stood before the closed door to Mr. Rowle's bedchamber, Aditi understood the gravity of the situation. The uncertainty surrounding his awakening and the state he would be in thereafter weighed heavily on the family, and she empathized with their anxiety. Her voice carried a reassuring tone as she responded, "I completely understand, Dr. Pomfrey. A full recovery is what we all hope for, and I'll do everything in my power to facilitate that. It can be a long and challenging journey, but with patience, dedication, and a comprehensive care plan, I can ensure Mr. Rowle has the best chance for recovery."

"Has he stirred at all?" she asked, her voice lowering to a respectful hushed whisper as they entered the sickroom. If he stayed in this state long term, this could be an easier job than she first thought.

"Not yet," the wizard allowed. Indeed, Rowle was very much doing an excellent impression of a corpse—or would have been, bar the breath and heartbeat. "You will pay close attention, however, and I will leave with you a set of directions above and beyond the usual care—if he does this, alert me at once, et cetera. This will be in addition to twice-weekly reports and my own visits."

Stan was relieved, really, that Nurse Banges had been available; putting the man's care in her capable hands meant that he would be less compelled to spend hours a day on site. Indeed, his own visits could be scaled back to daily at first, perhaps even weekly with time—and the family's consent.
Aditi Banges

Diti tried not to roll her eyes - this wasn't her first rodeo, she knew how to care for patients, but then doctors were so incredibly self important and needed their existence validated, so instead she simply nodded as though taking in his instructions.

The man who had been the subject of their conversation lay in the bed that stood proud against one wall of the room - only the pallor of his skin giving away that he was not, in fact, dead. It certainly didn't look good for him - but at worst she would get a few easy months of work, and there were a few sons in the house -some of whom might be interesting.

'And the family?' she asked gently, 'I presume I take my orders from you, and not one of his sons or daughters?' she confirmed - that was a regular enough power struggle that she had had to contend with, a physician who thought themselves god, and an offspring who already considered themselves the new Master or Mistress of the house.

The following 1 user Likes Aditi Banges's post:
   Wystan Pomfrey
Stan allowed himself a soft, knowing chuckle. In families such as the Rowles, the relations could be... formidable.

"While certain things, such as areas of access to the house, are well-within the family's purview, I am ultimately in charge of Mr. Rowle's care—by his son's own appointment. If they attempt to direct you to do anything counter to Mr. Rowle's medical well-being, I trust that you will alert me at once," the doctor explained, "and allow me the opportunity to step in."

She was not a maid to be ordered around, nor was she a damsel in distress, but to take the brunt of the family's ire was not her responsibility, and Stan would rather she be treated like the latter than the former.
Aditi Banges

'Thank you Doctor Pomphrey' Diti cocked her head to one side and through a fond warm smile. 'I appreciate that and of course nothing, of Mister Rowles care will change without your approval' she flattered. Diti had no intention of making enemies in the family, with Mister Rowle incapacitated, but seemingly stable she could be here for some time and it could be potentially rather an 'easy' gig - at least from a nursing perspective. Other than some general maintenance, it didn't seem like Mister Rowle needed a huge amount of care that would specific to her - she was also hopeful that some of the more mundane tasks could be given over to junior maids who were eager to be useful.

'I am sure we shall look forward to your visits' She gave a demure inclination of her head, once again deferring to the esteemed doctor. 'I hope I can live up to your expectations'

View a Printable Version