Updates
Welcome to Charming
Welcome to Charming, the year is now 1894. It’s time to join us and immerse yourself in scandal and drama interlaced with magic both light and dark.

Where will you fall?

Featured Stamp

Add it to your collection...

Did You Know?
Queen Victoria was known for putting jackets and dresses on her pups, causing clothing for dogs to become so popular that fashion houses for just dog clothes started popping up all over Paris. — Fox
It would be easy to assume that Evangeline came to the Lady Morgana only to pick fights. That wasn't true at all. They also had very good biscuits.
Check Your Privilege

Private
Someone to Watch Over Me
19th April, 1890 — The ABC Café
The Augurey Beak Café was precisely as grim as Morwenna had imagined it to be and she had seen some true sties in her time. On the whole the owners of magical beasts, legal or otherwise, were not noted for their fastidiousness in personal cleanliness or the neatness of their homes but even Morwenna had never seen a place quite literally decorated with a dead Irish phoenix. She couldn’t help but feel slightly offended on behalf of her home nation and the beast that had supplied the beak that gave the pub its name.

Behind the bar a young woman looked at her as though she had never before beheld a respectable woman carrying a wicker basket on a Sunday afternoon but after enduring Morwenna’s piercing stare for a moment she came to her sense and jumped to action. Morwenna ordered a whiskey, silently prayed that the girl was kind enough to give her the cleanest glass she could manage, and scanned the dimly lit room until she spotted her quarry.

“I’m not overly accustomed to drinking in the middle of the day but when in Rome,” she quipped as she took the seat opposite Mr Abernathy, dispensing with a greeting and quickly running her eyes over him. Somehow he looked less gaunt here than he had on the odd occasion she spotted him at the Ministry – of late there had been a great deal to report on and their paths crossed, but she could hardly give him too much attention there. “I’m not interrupting anything I hope?” She smiled mockingly, taking a sip of her drink. “It was my turn to come to your office but you don’t have a helpful secretary.”

[Image: rjts7m.png]
MJ knows my soul rings to the rune of this iconic hat
It was something else, to see Mrs. Skeeter in the Augurey. Kieran was bemused by the whole thing, but glanced around them - usually they didn't attract the disruptive types, (other than, well, Kieran), but he didn't want her to be disturbed by anything she saw here, either. He took a sip of his pint before he began to engage with her.

"Yes, welcome," he said, with a vague gesture at the dingy bar around them, "I should start sending out business cards and everything." Honestly, it would probably be a better way to get a hold of him than Kieran's actual address.

The following 1 user Likes Kieran Abernathy's post:
   Elladora Black
Chuckling Morwenna glanced around the pub once again. To say she felt out of place in such establishments was an understatement but Morwenna was nothing if not accustomed to brazening out any ill-ease with her surroundings. She had spent most of her life doing just that and she wasn’t about to be ran out of the saloon by a gentleman with the same number of eyebrows as teeth glaring at her from near the back door.

“If only I could be sure you were joking,” she sipped her whiskey and nearly spat it out. A look towards the bar confirmed that there was a top shelf of brands she had heard of but the dust on them quite suggestive of how often they were ordered. She took another drink – the sooner she got finished this one the closer something better was.

“I’m sure it has it’s hidden qualities.”

"It's got charm and you know it," Kieran said with a laugh. The Augurey wasn't even the worst bar in London, but he wasn't going to invite Morwenna Skeeter to come to the Jinxed Jackrabbit.

Smiling Morwenna tilted her head in acquiescence. It wouldn’t be the first time she had been blindsided by a rough diamond even if she doubted all the elbow grease in the world could make this place shine.

“I hope you’ve been doing more than drinking to keep yourself in good health?”

"Drinking does keep me in good health," Kieran said, with a crooked grin. Somewhere along the line, Morwenna Skeeter had become almost protective - this was, Kieran thought, rather funny.

Rolling her eyes as she took a sip of her own drink Morwenna locked eyes with the barman, staring him down until he looked away first. This place might be more fun than she thought if half the inhabitants were petrified she was going to have them in Ministry cells – as though she didn’t have bigger fish to fry.

“Kieran, I need your help with something.” She admitted, sitting up in her seat and leaning towards him a little, immediately regretting leaning her sleeve on the table. “Have you heard of Marlowe Forfang? Or, more to the point, have you seen him?”

Kieran arched his eyebrows at her. "I don't know for sure," he said, "Which is to say, I've read his letters in the Prophet, but I don't know if I've ever spoken to him. Not sure what he looks like, either. Why?"

There was a short list of people interested in werewolf rights; shorter than one would think. It was not unlikely that Kieran had interacted with Forfang - but not in person.

Thoughtfully Morwenna took a sip of her drink. It was as she had expected – nobody had ever seen the man. The name was common knowledge throughout her department and the one journalist she knew would take an interest in werewolf business had heard of him, but none had seen him.

She had, briefly, considered the possibility that Forfang might be a pseudonym for one of the werewolves on their records, or Mr Jameshill, or even Kieran himself, but that notion was rapidly losing validity.

“He’s proving rather elusive and I’m concerned his ideas, valid though they are, might put him in some danger from the opposition,” by which she meant the majority of society but particularly bloody Picardy.

"Hm," Kieran said. The whereabouts and struggles of Forfang were not particularly concerning to him - or, at least, he wanted to be someone who was unconcerned with them. As it was, Forfang was one of very few people who was publicly kind about werewolves, and it was probably best for people like Kieran and Morwenna Skeeter that he stuck around.

"What sort of danger?"

Morwenna sipped her drink and though she wasn’t an overly dramatic woman by nature she couldn’t help the dark cloud that came over her face as she lowered the glass, eyes piercing into Kieran.

“The sort that means no one ever will see him.”

After the last few years, with the net closing ever tighter on people like her and Kieran, Morwenna knew she couldn’t afford to let a single thread drop. Anything that even might concern werewolves came directly to her – under the guise of it being the most publicly reported threat at the moment, which was technically true – but Morwenna had a compelling need to know exactly who every player on the board was and what they were capable of.

For all she knew Forfang was the invention of someone’s imagination and they were barrelling towards a very public defamation of all his claims that might set them back decades.

“Be a dear and keep your ears to the ground will you?”

View a Printable Version