Updates
Welcome to Charming
Welcome to Charming, the year is now 1894. It’s time to join us and immerse yourself in scandal and drama interlaced with magic both light and dark.

Where will you fall?

Featured Stamp

Add it to your collection...

Did You Know?
Queen Victoria was known for putting jackets and dresses on her pups, causing clothing for dogs to become so popular that fashion houses for just dog clothes started popping up all over Paris. — Fox
It would be easy to assume that Evangeline came to the Lady Morgana only to pick fights. That wasn't true at all. They also had very good biscuits.
Check Your Privilege

It's Official.
01 September, 1888
Dear Mama,

I could not wait until the morning to write to you! I was so worried about disappointing you by ending up somewhere other than Slytherin (or perhaps Ravenclaw - Papa is very smart), but I can now inform you that I now share a common room with Merriweather! Sirius Black is also here, but I cannot hide my disappointment in the fact that Rex was sorted into Hufflepuff. Rest assured that I have nothing against Hufflepuff, but I so wished to be sorted in the same house as him! What if he decides that he cares more for his new friends than Sirius and I?

I miss you very much already. Is there truly no way I will be able to see you until December?

All my love, Flora

Rufina Mulciber

2nd September, 1888

My dearest Flora,

I am so relieved to hear that you have found a home in Slytherin—not because it was once my own house, but because now I may sleep easily, knowing you will have your brother close at hand to look after you. In twenty years, you will understand for yourself how anxious a mother can be to send a child into someone else's care, and you will forgive me if I seem too prudent!

Rest assured, though, that in terms of "pride", I would have been happy to see you any house. I take pride in who you are, Flora, and the young lady you are swiftly becoming.

It can be trying to find oneself separated from those one knows, but I am confident that Abraxas will remember that blood—and the family bond with the Black family—remains important. He is not a clever and loyal boy, and I do not imagine that either of these will change.

It will take time, but you will adjust to being away from home. Keep close those who tie you to the world you are used to, and know that I will respond to any letter as swiftly as I am able. If you insist, I shall of course come to a quidditch match in November, that we might see one another, but I do expect your interest in my company to wane by then. (Worry not, for I shall not take offence!)

With all my love,

Mama

graphics by mj ❤ —
02 September, 1888
Dear Mama,

I am not so sure Merriweather will share the same sentiment. Last night, I was overwhelmed with a fear of embarrassing him after seeing him surrounded by his own friends - should I endeavor to keep a healthy distance between us, or do you believe such a fear is irrational? I do love him so, but have no desire to annoy him!

Putting aside any bias I may have towards Slytherin house, I do think it suits me well. The common room oozes with elegance, as do many of its students. Is there any way you might send me a few green hair ribbons through the post? I did not think to pack anything other than black and white ones before I left home (a horrendous oversight, given the prettiest blue ribbon I saw an older Ravenclaw girl wearing at breakfast this morning).

I hope shared classes allow me to spend more time with Rex and my other non-Slytherin friends. Arabella Wood was made a Hufflepuff, too, and she seemed pleased by this fact; I suppose she did not care whether we remained together. I was left with another, entirely different Wood: Miss Joella Wood, a very sullen girl with no money to her name. I have not yet figured out how to approach her, or if it is even wise to do so.

You should know that I will never tire from your company. I am proud to be your daughter and wish for nothing more than to be like you. Even though Merriweather is now grown, I am still your little girl.

All my love, Flora

4th September, 1888

My dearest Flora,

Do not crowd your brother, but likewise do not avoid his company. He knows it is his responsibility to ensure you are finding your footing, just as you know he has his own life at Hogwarts. I have every confidence that the pair of you shall, in no time, find a keen balance, and enjoy the lone year you have at school together.

As to ribbons, Ida is out acquiring some as I write this. She has been instructed to have them delivered to you directly; they may well appear before my own letter does! She will also be sending you a variety of colours, for while green is indeed quite “Slytherin”, I should not wish for you to be limited in your attire!

I have every confidence that you and young Rex will continue your friendship, if not through your shared blood, then through your shared connection to Sirius Black. I am pleased (as is Mrs. Black!) to know that you two are in a shared house; between he and your cousin, I am confident you’ll be well looked-after even after your brother completes his studies. To Miss Joella Wood, convenience and custom dictate you be cordial, but I see little reason to form a friendship with her.

With all my love,

Mama

graphics by mj ❤ —
05 September, 1888
Dear Mama,

The ribbons arrived shortly before your letter, and they are absolutely delightful. Please send Ida all my thanks; I've already received two compliments from other Slytherin girls while seated in the Great Hall this evening. When the Christmas holidays arrive, perhaps you might help me cast color-changing enchantments on some of my dresses? Blues and whites are wonderful for a little girl, but I'm all grown now, Mama!

Quidditch tryouts are set to take place in a few days, and I'm sure Sirius and Rex will both make their own efforts to earn a spot on the the Slytherin and Hufflepuff teams. I can't say with any certainty, but I'm confident that Sirius will get a spot - he's the Headmaster's son, and I'm sure Kristoffer Lestrange would not deny him the opportunity. Rex, on the other hand, might have more trouble - but he is tall for his age and a good team player. I would have to root for Hufflepuff (but only when up against Ravenclaw or Gryffindor!).

I miss you terribly, and will write whenever the opportunity arises.

All my love, Flora

7th September, 1888

My dearest Flora,

You might feel grown up, but I assure you that this is not at all the case! Hogwarts is a marvellous step in that direction, but you still have a great deal of growing to do. Nonetheless, I suppose I can help you in that regard, if only to serve as an occasion to better exercise your magic.

I will be very surprised if Sirius or Abraxas make their respective teams not for lack of potential, but because first years so seldom are. I hope very much that both are able to prove me wrong, and please give both of them my best wishes for good luck!

With all my love,

Mama

graphics by mj ❤ —
09 September, 1888
Dear Mama,

I feel grow up, especially compared to some of the students. There are some girls who don't speak a word of French, nor can they sketch anything that resembles their subject. Many of them are physically bigger than me, but I'm positive I'll be your height by the time of my debut. There is no other option!

Speaking of being all grown up, Rex and Sirius did make their respective quidditch teams. I haven't gotten the chance to see them in their uniforms, but I'm sure they'll look all grown up. There are girls playing quidditch who are near Rex's height, so I'm sure he won't be so terribly disadvantaged.

All my love, Flora

View a Printable Version