Updates
Welcome to Charming
Welcome to Charming, the year is now 1894. It’s time to join us and immerse yourself in scandal and drama interlaced with magic both light and dark.

Where will you fall?

Featured Stamp

Add it to your collection...

Did You Know?
It’s quite unusual for a caster's patronus to be their favourite animal, but very possible that it will take the shape of a creature they’ve never before seen or heard of. — Amy
As he fell, Ford recalled the trials of Gulliver during his interactions with the Lilliputians.
Potato Wars

Open
When the Nose Knows
8 June, '93
Montague's House of Flowers
High Street, Hogsmeade
Benevolence Crouch
Following her stomach had been a bad idea today.

Actually, it was a bad idea on most days. Really, if the street urchin could choose any other body part to follow, it would be her heart. Then she might simply strike out into the woods to find her family...somewhere. Charley still didn't know where they were, and none of her letters had ever reached them. So much for magical owl post, bloody useless thing. No, if she could follow anything it would be her heart, given a chance the wayward daughter just knew it would lead her back to her mum and dad.

She cursed her stupid stomach for growling again. It had been doing that all morning, and all last night too. A sensible organ would have known to shut its gob after a while. Then it wouldn't lead her into trouble, or even into almost-trouble. And almost-trouble was just as bad as trouble, Charley had the stinging burns on her hands to prove it.

It was just as well the market vendor threw sparks at her instead of something worse.

How Charley had wound up in front of the flower shop, she wasn't sure at this point. Her stomach was leading the way, and she couldn't believe it wasn't tired of it by now. This shop was a different sort than the other flower shop, which was named Potts for some reason. It wasn't like there was any cooking to do with flowers, at most they might be a salad or something unfulfilling like that. Still, even a salad was starting to sound good to the street urchin, nose pressed up against the glass that separated her from the colorful bouquets staring back at her from inside Montague's House of Flowers.

Charley decided to follow her nose for once instead, and slipped into the shop behind a departing customer. At least smells were free, right?

[Image: 5KRbCcV.png]
Benevolence didnt often find herself in the shop these days, leaving the day to day running to her shop hands and managers. However, it was good to press the flesh, to show her face, to check on things. Her manager was a good man, he had been an apprentice of her fathers and knew the shop better than just about anyone else.

Still she couldn't help but fuss over things. As she glanced up from arranging a bouquet, her eyes fell upon a young street urchin who had managed to sneak in unnoticed. The child stood with a mixture of hunger and curiosity on her face, her gaze fixated on the vibrant blooms that adorned the shop.

A wave of sympathy washed over Benevolence as she observed the girl. Benevolence couldn't say she knew what it was like to feel the ache of an empty stomach, but the isolation of being alone, and the longing for family she could understand. She couldn't help but wonder about the little ones story and the circumstances that had brought her to this moment, reminding her of another street child who had got her way into Nev's heart.

Setting down the bouquet, Benevolence approached the child with a warm smile. "Hello there," she said gently, "Can I help you? Perhaps something to eat?" She gestured towards an archway to the back of the shop, where a small table in the corner of the shop, where a bowl of fresh fruit and a loaf of bread sat invitingly, guessing at the child's drives

"You're welcome to join me for some afternoon tea?," Benevolence continued, her voice filled with compassion. "And you might introduce yourself?" she asked gently, 'I am Mrs Benevolence Mo...Crouch' she corrected herself, still getting used to her new name.

The following 1 user Likes Benevolence Crouch's post:
   Charley Goode

[Image: wl0I79B.jpg]
Lady is a wonder
[Image: preg.png]
Oh, the flowers almost smelled good enough to make Charley forget she was hungry!

Fresh flowers, and every one in bloom. The street urchin could have dragged her fingers over every one of them, like she might have for a wild bush of thorny roses. She'd bear the stinging scratches and itching pollen just to have something nice under her fingertips. Charley kept her fingers just inches away from them in here, running her hands along the air. It wasn't the same, but it was as close as she dared under the shopkeeper's watchful eyes.

Charley could feel the eyes like a heavy breath down the back of her neck. She should've been used to it by now, a few of them would throw her out just for looking in the wrong direction. Couldn't be any harm in just a look, could there? Excepting the looks from a shopkeep, a proprietor, worse a store owner! If she could just stay very calm and quiet and mind her own business, no one would bother the lonely street urchin who'd stepped in to smell something other than the stinking street outside.

"Hello there."

"I didn't touch anything!" Words sprang to her lips as soon as the woman started in, ready to defend herself against any charge. Charley was just looking, keeping her fingers whole inches away. Nothing broke, no one made a sound. No reason to make trouble with the little, hungry, broke girl. Whatever defense she might have leapt to died when the woman's offer touched her ears.

"I don't need charity, lady..." She must have taken a step back. Charley didn't remember doing it, but found her back against the door anyway. The escape route was reassuring. Maybe she wouldn't need it, but it was better to have it there all the same. "I'm..."

The street urchin hesitated for a moment. The woman, Benevolence her name seemed to be, spoke in acts of kindness, but no one just did anything for free. It was kind of like, what was that principle of the magic all these witches and wizards relied on? Grumpy's Rule, or something. Nothing came from nothing, which felt suitably grumpy for a magical rule after all. "Charley," she finished, and then found she wasn't done after all.

"Look, I'll take tea, but I just don't like to owe anyone. I'm saving up, see?" Her stomach wouldn't see, reason or otherwise, threatening to make its soft grumbles more public. Her eyes saw, latching onto the fruit and bread at the back of the store. Michelangelo himself couldn't have painted a holier picture than that right now. Charley felt her foot taking a step toward it, betraying every bony principle in her thin body. "Just gimme a chance to earn it. There must be something you need done!"

Benevolence watched Charley carefully, filled with empathy as the young girl hesitated. She couldn't say she knew what the girl was feeling but she understood the desire to maintain her independence and not feel indebted to anyone. Benevolence knew the importance of dignity and self-worth, and she wanted Charley to feel empowered rather than beholden.

"Charley, I truly appreciate your determination to earn your keep," Benevolence responded, her voice gentle yet firm. "I admire your spirit and independence. Let's make a deal then. I have a few arrangements that need to be made for an upcoming event, and I could use an extra pair of hands. If you're willing to lend your assistance, you can consider it an exchange." she breezed, 'Indeed Mrs Cannings can often use help around the shop' she could feel the older woman bristle at the implication that she wasn't a one woman superlative but Nev ignored her, continuing to focus on the girl. 'She would also be grateful for any assistance you might have time to give' her voice loud enough, and tone clear enough to tell the churlish shop manager that she would broke no opposition on this, 'And that way you could work for your keep? Her offer was genuine. Benevolence knew the power of hope and the importance of belonging.

Charley Goode

Lady is a wonder
"What's this event?" Charley asked, leaning in a bit. She was curious now, her better senses still tempering her stomach. In return, her stomach decided now was the time to betray her with a deep growl. It was the kind the urchin didn't think her belly had in it anymore, not after all the weeks she'd spent disabusing it of that notion. All it did was announce her desperation to anyone within earshot, and Benevolence was definitely within earshot.

Charley let out an indignant sigh.

"Sure, you got a deal," the urchin said, resigned to the fate. It didn't look like there was going to be any more negotiation. Charley was sure she could've gotten a lot more than the woman was offering so far. Working in a sneezy flower shop with some old lady wasn't brilliant work, unless it paid good coin that is. There was nothing worth taking here, or eating, despite how many flower salads some cookbook had.

Charley held a hand up to her mouth, pausing to add, "Don't mean I'm gonna sleep here." She was still deciding on that part. There were better hearths in the winter, and the urchin was sure that the house she found yesterday belonged to some family out of town for the moment. It was practically an invitation, really, with no old ladies for supervision. "But for food and coin.."

She hocked up a loogie and spit it into her hand. Deals had to be shook on, and there was nothing more binding on the streets than the spit-shake.

"..you got a deal."

Benevolence couldn't help but wince slightly at the sight of the spit-shake, though she did her best to hide her reaction. She understood that on the streets, such acts held a different significance, and she didn't want to undermine the connection she was building with Charley.

With a gentle smile, Benevolence reached across the table and pushed a small cake on a plate towards the girl, offering it to Charley as a gesture of goodwill. "perhaps this instead?" she said, her voice warm and genuine. "Consider it a symbol of our agreement."

Benevolence's eyes met Charley's as she continued speaking. "I understand you don't wish to sleep here, and that's completely fine. You can come and go as you please, my dear. Your presence and assistance at the shop are greatly appreciated, but I want you to feel comfortable and make your own choices."

Benevolence's thoughts turned to Hogwarts as Charley mentioned coin and the possibility of attending the school. She wondered if the young girl had received her letter of acceptance. With a curious yet gentle tone, she asked, "Speaking of coin, Charley, I must ask, are you going off to Hogwarts this year?"

Benevolence believed in the transformative power of education and the opportunities it could bring. She wanted to ensure that Charley had the chance to explore her magical abilities, should she choose to pursue them. From what she understood Billie was enjoying Hogwarts immensely.

Charley Goode

Lady is a wonder
Well now, that was just rude.

Charley found herself left hanging, spit slowly dripping off the side of her hand left untaken. It couldn't be that hard to shake on a deal, the lady would've done it if she was sincere. Maybe these shop types didn't know what it meant. That was easier to swallow than Benevolence just being rude about it, she was offering cake after all. Charley liked cake, and so did her stomach.

She snatched the cake before it could get pulled away, taking a bigger bite than should have fit in her mouth. The spongey, moist cake filled it full, forcing the urchin to chew slowly and mechanically, only able to mutter the most muffled, "Mmmm-hmm," at the woman's lecture. Benevolence really did have a lot of words for agreeing with someone, Charley swore she sounded like a character right out of her Da's plays. "'Ss ghhd."

That was supposed to be about the cake. It was good, forcing Charley to swallow a few times to get the whole bite down her gullet. She wasn't about to base any agreement just on words. That would be silly, what kind of a person would she be if she let a word hold the entire weight of someone's trust in her? She had been in enough of those plays, too, the sort where words misled the wrong person and they wound up hurt. Or worse, exiled.

"Nah," Charley muttered, swallowing the last of the cake. Brown eyes sought out the familiar shade of tea sitting in a cup somewhere. "Went there," she remarked about Hogwarts, searching instead for a pot of tea. Cold tea was better than nothing, the urchin could just do with a nice, hot cuppa, freshly-brewed with milk. Or honey if the flower woman had some. "they didn't want me back."

The urchin's street-fouled face, dotted with new crumbs from the cake, turned a little sour as she looked back at the woman. Hogwarts was a sore subject for Charley, especially with no tea. "So, what's the job?"

Without that handshake, Charley wasn't exactly sure she was going to get much more than the cake out of this deal, really. Might as well wish for the Nile, at least that could've quenched her thirst right about now. "Say," she smacked her dry mouth, "You got that tea?"

Benevolence couldn't help but be amused by Charley's enthusiastic devouring of the cake, even with her muffled response. She watched as the young girl savored each bite, crumbs clinging to her face. Benevolence's heart warmed at the sight.

"I'm glad you're enjoying the cake, Charley," Benevolence remarked with a soft chuckle. As Charley mentioned her experience with Hogwarts, Benevolence's expression softened. She could sense the disappointment and bitterness in the young girl's voice - or perhaps that was her projecting all that she might have missed if she had not gone to Hogwarts. It pained her to think that Charley had been denied the opportunity to continue her magical education. However, Benevolence remained determined to find a way to support her in some capacity.

"I'm sorry to hear that Hogwarts didn't work out for you,"
Benevolence replied, her voice tinged with sympathy. "It's unfortunate that sometimes circumstances prevent us from pursuing certain paths. But don't let that define your worth or limit your potential, Charley."

Benevolence reached for a teapot and poured a fresh cup of tea for Charley, ensuring it was hot and steaming. She then sat down across from the young girl, her gaze filled with genuine concern.

"If Hogwarts didn't want you back, it's their loss," Benevolence said firmly. "Tell me, which house were you sorted into during your time at Hogwarts? And do you still have your wand? It's important to hold on to those connections, as they represent a part of who you are."

Benevolence knew that Charley might not have the same opportunities as other students, but she wanted to ensure that the young girl still felt valued and supported. She wanted to offer her a glimmer of hope and a chance to explore her magical potential in her own way.

"Mrs. Mann, the shop lady here, might be able to assist you with some practical magic lessons if you're interested," Benevolence suggested, her voice filled with encouragement. "While she may not be a professional duelist, she has a wealth of knowledge and experience. She has taught magic to many girls before, and perhaps she could help you further develop your abilities."

Benevolence topped up Charley's tea as requested, then leaned in slightly. "As for the job, it mostly involves fetching, carrying, making deliveries, and assisting in tending the plants in the greenhouse. Some of them can be rather dangerous, so we'll need to take precautions. But I promise you, Charley, your contribution will be valued and important. We'll work together and find a way to make it fulfilling for you."

Charley Goode

Lady is a wonder
Charley was, in fact, enjoying the cake. She was enjoying it about halfway done by now, and in very much need of that tea. The street urchin tried to stop herself from devouring all of it, her stomach would NOT be happy with her by the end of all that. And yet it was the same stomach that was demanding more of it in its torturous, hungry tones. What was a girl to do?

"Oh, I en't worth all that much," she mentioned, staring at the rest of the cake quite intently. Charley was startled from her reverie by the drizzling pour of a cuppa right in front of her, with entrancing steam rising up from its surface. Gleeful hands strayed from the delicious cake to grasp the teacup instead, bringing it to her face so the urchin could breathe in the scent of fresh tea. It distracted her enough to mumble, "Maybe just a sickle."

The tea was hot!

She knew that, of course. Fresh tea was hot, that was a more basic truth than the market being on Tuesdays and Thursdays, or just off of High Street being the best fishing spot for flush marks. Charley sipped it anyway, and received a burnt tongue for her efforts. Still worth it! The sharp, heady taste of the tea spread over her mouth, headless of the pain in her tongue, and it ignited her thirst all over again.

"Grythendur," the urchin muttered through a sluggish tongue. She took another sip, letting it slurp this time so the hot-but-not-scalding liquid could fill her mouth. It might have scorched a little as she swallowed, but still so worth it! Charley swallowed again and repeated her answer again, "Ahh, I meant Gryffindor. The red lions, with bravery and courage and all that."

Only a year removed, and Charley already wondered sometimes if it had all been a dream. Or just a show, with her cast in a bit part to be tossed aside for the next act. The whole of the wizarding world, with its own costumes and props, still felt like a foreign country to her. At least it had the same tea Charley knew and loved.

"Lessons?" Charley asked, her nose wrinkling at the thought. Her will to resist the suggestion wilted with the heat of the teacup in her hand. And more tea only made her hungry, requiring a bite of the delicious cake. Oh, if only she could eat that cake forever! Forever would mean taking magic lessons, though, and Charley wasn't sure about that part. She glanced over at Mrs. Mann, who seemed to be doing what all shopkeepers did when the urchin walked into a store. "I en't really the sort for lessons, I s'pose that's why Hogwarts didn't want me back. Da said teaching me magic was a waste of time, and I guess he was right."

She looked into the teacup, as if it could drown away her miserable thoughts. "'Cept he said the only magic you really need is imagination and I must not be doing it right 'cause he never shows up when I 'magin him. Guess I en't the sort for imagining either."

Benevolence couldn't help but feel inwardly perturbed by Charley's dismissal of education and lessons. As a former Ravenclaw, Benevolence had always valued knowledge and the pursuit of learning. She firmly believed that education was never a waste of time and that every individual deserved the opportunity to develop their abilities and talents.

However, Benevolence's concern deepened when Charley mentioned her father's view on teaching her magic. She could sense the young girl's resignation and self-doubt, and it tugged at her. Benevolence bit her lip hard, struggling to find the right words to impart her belief in the importance of education.

Then, Charley mentioned her struggle with imagination and her father's absence when she tried to 'magin him.' Benevolence's heart sank as she thought about the pain and longing that the young girl must feel. She knew what it was like to miss her parents, having lost her own father at a young age, her mother years before that. While her situation had been gentler than Charley's, there was no shortage of help for well bred and wealthy young ladies, the pain of losing loved ones was something they both shared.

"When did you lose your mama and papa?" Benevolence asked, choosing her words carefully to show empathy and understanding. As she waited for Charley's response, Benevolence's mind raced with thoughts of how she could support and guide the young girl. She knew that her own experiences as an orphan had shaped her perspective and had driven her to create a successful life for herself. She wanted to find a way to impart some of that resilience and hope to Charley, to let her know that she was not alone and that there was a path forward, even in the face of challenges.

In the meantime, Benevolence refilled Charley's teacup, almost as a response, providing a moment of warmth and comfort in the midst of their conversation. She offered a soft smile, trying to convey her sincerity and genuine care for the young girl.

Charley Goode

Lady is a wonder
Charley shifted in her seat as an unsettling silence dropped into their conversation unannounced. Oh, she could be good at being quiet when the need arose, there were always times when silence was a good friend of hers. Just not here during a conversation, with tea and cake. If silence would have had a real face to show, the urchin would have glared at it to scare it into disappearing.

Instead, she had to settle for taking another bite of the cake to fill her mouth with something other than more words.

"Wha—" The urchin's mouth dropped, half-full of uneaten cake still. Had the lady really asked her when her parents bit the dust? Charley let out a short, sputtering laugh, and almost gagged on the cake in her mouth. She closed it, chewing quickly until she could talk without choking herself again. "I en't an orphan!"

Her mouth twisted in some odd way, the term could almost apply, really.

No, it couldn't!

"Mum and Pa are out there," she said defiantly, her chin pushed out a little ways in rebuke. "They just don't answer the mail, not last Owl I sent. An' they musta been traveling or summat when Hogwarts was over, 'cause some professor said they couldn't find 'em. I was s'posed'ta wait in some stuffy office 'til they could, but they didn't do nothing for me. It's just me and me right now, but I'll find 'em!"

Charley knew in her heart that was true, even if her mind had misgivings. It was silly to listen too hard to minds, though. They saw things in weird ways, like thinking some whispers had to be about her when they stopped as soon as she entered the room. Or by still believing in monsters or ghoulies enough to make her lie up sleepless on the first, dark nights she found a new place to stay. Minds were too silly to be trusted some days, and most nights too.

She made a point to sip at the hot tea now that the cup was refilled, looking up at Benevolence while trying to judge how much the lady believed her.

Or by how much Charley could even trust her past tea and cake anyhow.

"I know," Benevolence said gently, her voice tinged with understanding and empathy. "But I am."

Her smile remained soft, but there was a hint of sadness in her eyes. Benevolence knew what it was like to long for family, to yearn for the presence of loved ones who were no longer there. The ache of missing someone dear never truly went away, even as life moved forward.

"I may not have experienced exactly what you're going through, Charley, but I understand the pain of missing someone," Benevolence continued, her tone sincere. "Losing my parents left a void in my heart, and I've missed them every day since. It's a journey we both share, one that shapes us in ways we might not fully grasp."

She gently squeezed Charley's hand, offering a comforting touch. "But remember, you don't have to carry this burden alone. Sometimes, leaning on someone else, even just a little, can make all the difference." Benevolence's own smile may have been strained, but it was genuine.

"We'll take things step by step," Benevolence reassured her. "And for now," she said with a gentle smile, "let's enjoy this tea and cake together. Sometimes, the simplest pleasures can bring a little bit of light into our lives."

Charley Goode

Lady is a wonder
"You...are?"

Charley felt dumb to even think about it, this grown-up lady was an orphan, too. Obviously, adults could lose their parents but that didn't mean the same as a kid-orphan. The way Benevolence said it, the urchin could tell the woman had lived it, in ever way Charley feared herself. And still, somehow, Benevolence was sitting in front of her, a woman grown and a successful one at that, even if she was a fellow orphan.

No, no, just an orphan herself, Charley's parents were out there and just waiting for her letter to reach them!

"I grasp it fine, I en't stupid." Charley kept stock-still when the woman touched her hand, squeezing it. She still had one free, though, and used it to stick a bite of cake in her mouth, chewing with purpose. What that was, she didn't right know yet. Maybe it was just smart to keep her mouth shut, some people liked her better that way sometimes. All she had to do was chew and sip her tea, make nice with the grown-up orphan lady, and Benevolence would let her sleep there with food and tea sometimes. The urchin didn't even mind the thought of working for it, that felt right anyway. Just chew and sip, and smile, probably. People liked her better when she smiled sometimes.

It was a simple enough that even she could manage that.

Eating cake made her mouth dry, and sipping tea made her hungry, but for a minute or two she could handle that. Charley just nodded a bit when Benevolence said something profound, or at least the urchin thought it was profound. The words rattled something in her head, even if she couldn't quite make out what that was. Just that the lady wanted to do things step-by-step, even though Charley was sure the woman's steps would be bigger than hers.

"Okay," she said at last. It was easy enough to agree to that much. It wasn't like Charley really had to stay, she did have other places to go sometimes. She wasn't an orphan yet.

Besides, she was pretty sure this lady needed Charley more than she needed her. That could come in handy someday.

For now, the urchin just kept sipping tea. And chewing cake. And, when she thought about it, she actually smiled.

Benevolence could sense her guardedness, her efforts to navigate the conversation and the emotions it brought up. She understood that sometimes it was easier to keep quiet, to focus on the simple act of eating cake and sipping tea, rather than delving too deeply into the complexities of life.

As Charley chewed and nodded in response to her words, Benevolence couldn't help but feel forry for the young girl, the way she had for Billie. They both carried their own burdens, their own experiences of loss, yet they were sitting here, sharing a moment together. And for a brief instant, Charley's smile tugged at the corners of Benevolence's lips as well.

"Thank you, Miss Goode," Benevolence said softly, her smile genuine. "For sharing this tea and cake with me. It was lovely." She took a final sip of her own tea, letting the warm liquid soothe her throat. "As you said, one step at a time," Benevolence continued, her tone gentle. "Life has its twists and turns, its challenges and its joys. And while we may not have all the answers right now, we can navigate it together."

Benevolence stood up, smoothing her skirt and collecting the teapot, considering it but realising it was the late hour and that she should get back to the house. She then poured a bit more into Charley's cup, ensuring it was topped up.

"I should be getting back to my day," Benevolence said with a warm smile. "Plenty to be getting on with here and if you ever decide that lessons might be of interest to you, you know where to find me." With a final nod and a soft smile, Benevolence turned and walked back towards the bouquet of flowers she had been fussing with earlier, lifting them to bring them with her back home.

She gave the little girl a wave, acknowledging her shop manager before heading out herself.

Charley Goode

Lady is a wonder

View a Printable Version