Charming is a Victorian Era Harry Potter roleplay set primarily in the village of Hogsmeade, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, and the non-canon village of Irvingly. Characters of all classes, both magical and muggle — and even non-human! — are welcome.

With a member driven story line, monthly games and events, and a friendly and drama-free community focused on quality over quantity, the only thing you can be sure of is fun!
  • Newbie Guide
  • Apps
  • Rules
  • Playbys
  • Policy
  • Buddy System
  • History Lists
  • Occupations
  • Census
  • Adoptables
  • Hogwarts '87
  • CML
  • Daily Prophet
  • Witch Weekly
  • Lonely Threads
  • House Points
  • Events
  • Map
  • Suggestions
  • Maintenance
  • Stamps
  • Documentation
  • Toggle Cbox

News
    01.11 I've got a bit of a reputation...
    01.06 AC underway, and a puzzle to solve!
    01.01 Happy new year! Have some announcements of varying importance.
    12.31 Enter the Winter Labyrinth if you dare!
    12.23 Professional Quidditch things...
    12.21 New stamp!
    12.20 Concerning immortality
    12.16 A heads up that the Secret Swap deadline is fast approaching!
    12.14 Introducing our new Minister of Magic!
    12.13 On the first day of Charming, Kayte gave to me...
    12.11 Some quick reminders!
    12.08 Another peek at what's to come...
    12.05 It's election day! OOC, at least.
    12.04 We have our PW winners for November!
    12.02 New Skins! In less exciting news, the AC is underway.
    11.27 AC Saturday and election next week!
    11.21 A glimpse at post-move changes.
    11.13 This news is not at all big. Do not bother with it.

Word On The Street
    Home of Lynn's Reputation Logs!

ELI SWAN
    Eli is the bastard of an uneducated hedgewitch and a married muggle man, though most wouldn't know this-- because he's lower class and keeps to himself, not many people care to ask about his family.

You may, however, have seen him around town; while at Hogwarts he spent his summers on the streets of Hogsmeade, and earned money for textbooks by playing violin on the corners for tips.

Those who were at Hogwarts during the 1881-1882 school year may remember that for a brief period (the month of January), Eli disappeared. It was rumored that he had run away, or died, but he returned in late February with little to no memory of what had happened.

If you were at Hogwarts with him, you probably also know that he is unusually close to his friends Cassius Lestrange and Angie Sinnet, and you might have your opinions about that. Unless you've cleared it with both Beanie and myself, your character cannot know that Cash and Eli are lovers.
    I was late for this * late for that
    late for the love of my life
    but when I die alone * when I die alone
    when I die, I'll be on time

THOM PETTIGREW
    Thom is mildly eccentric; he is an inventor when it comes to Quidditch supplies, and if seized with an idea will sometimes wander off. He can seem a little distracted from time to time when he is focused on something else.

Thom's Quidditch team, Puddlemere United, occasionally hires females, but only ones who aren't "expected" to be proper; the first female Puddlemere player, for instance, was an American, and "everyone knows that American women are just different," according to Thom.

Thom hired his personal assistant, Harper Hatchitt, straight out of Hogwarts several years ago, which caused some mild rumor-mongoring at the time but has since blown over as Miss Hatchitt showed herself to be a consumate professional.

He is friends with August Echelon-Arnost, who is politically progressive, and Leon Lupin, who is a bit of a womanizing scoundrel, but he also has lots of nice proper friends to balance them out.

21 December, 1884 - Thom and his Quiddich Holiday Ball are featured in Witch Weekly!
    13 March, 1885 - Rumor: "Did you see those two women in Wellingtonshire the other day? They looked like the wrong sort, if you know what I mean--and they went straight into Mr. Pettigrew's house, as though they were guests! They say that he recovered well after losing his wife last summer... perhaps this is his secret?"
    15 March, 1885 - Daily Prophet Article: "Pettigrew's Visitors: The Complete Exposé" addresses the recent rumor and introduces Thom's new charity for underpriviledged women.

WILL ECHELON
    Will was a womanizer back in Hogwarts, and was caught a number of times in almost-compromising positions, but your character probably thinks he's grown out of it; more recently, all of his antics have been happening in mainland Europe.

He brought over a French fiancé who speaks no English; you can judge him for that.

His extended family, the Echelon-Arnosts, have something of a reputation as crazies; Will is chummy with his disowned squib aunt, Elsbeth, his politically progressive uncle, August, his bastard-spawning uncle, Ferb, and uncle Toby who as yet hasn't ruined the family name.

Will job-hopped a bit because he doesn't like work and doesn't think he should have to.
    I certainly will not persuade myself to feel more than I do.
    I am quite enough in love. I should be sorry to be more.
    -Emma, Jane Austen
    LYRA DASHWOOD
    Lyra Dashwood does not exist. She really shouldn't have a reputation at all, especially since it's been over a year since she's been in Hogsmeade last. The only way you'd have any opinion of her is if you recognized her from her human life as Lyra Potter...

Lyra Potter "died" in 1883. She was the younger sister of Darcy and Bennet Potter and was sort of involved with August Echelon-Arnost -- the two were engaged twice, in 1882 and 1883, but few would have known this outside their circle of friends. Prior to that, while a sixth year in school, Lyra was caught sneaking around unchaperoned and was then annonced to be betrothed to a middle class man, whom she had been 'so delighted to see she had momentarily slipped her chaperone.' In 1882, she went to the country for eight months to "care for a sick aunt." Her middle-class fiancé was later killed in the fire of Bartonburg in 1882.

Lyra Potter was generally known as a headstrong and willful girl, but thanks to her brothers there were very few specifics about her.

But like I said, she's dead and unless you knew her fairly well (and got a very good look at Lyra now, not just a passing glance), you are very unlikely to recognize her. If you do just pass her on the street, you might notice she is rather pale, and very conservatively dressed, but not much else; she disguises her vampirism as best she can with cosmetics.
    BRANNON FISK
    Brannon is generally respectable. He has worked at the Ministry his entire adult life and has always been very good at his job. He has worked for the Committee on Experimental Charms for 19 years (since 1866).

Brannon's sister, Brianda, is a Squib, but made a good marriage to a Muggle man and is otherwise quite respectable; she adopted two children from Sullivan who are both magical.

Those of Brannon's age group might know that his brother, Sullivan, was kind of a fuck-up, but he's since mellowed out and cleaned up his act. When he was young and irresponsible, though, he married a lower-class woman who subsequently ran away from him, gave his two children up to his sister, and then subsequently made a bigamist out of his second wife, who fled from him when she discovered he was still legally married. He has two children from this second marriage who were essentially raised by their grandfather.

Brannon's wife died in 1884, and he has been somewhat diminished ever since. His hair did not start to go grey until his wife died.