Updates
Welcome to Charming
Welcome to Charming, the year is now 1894. It’s time to join us and immerse yourself in scandal and drama interlaced with magic both light and dark.

Where will you fall?

Featured Stamp

Add it to your collection...

Did You Know?
Queen Victoria was known for putting jackets and dresses on her pups, causing clothing for dogs to become so popular that fashion houses for just dog clothes started popping up all over Paris. — Fox
It would be easy to assume that Evangeline came to the Lady Morgana only to pick fights. That wasn't true at all. They also had very good biscuits.
Check Your Privilege

Private
Future Hopes
August 30th, 1891 - Crowdy Library
Timothy Ainsworth

Elsie had been slowly dreading this conversation almost as much as she had speaking with her mother. Her job was something she had worked hard to get and even harder to keep. Not to mention it was a part of her life she thoroughly enjoyed.

This had to be done though. The waddle was getting too noticeable and though she had managed to hide the pregnancy itself at work for a while now, she couldn't hide it much longer. Elsie took a deep breath and knocked on Mr. Ainsworth's office door. "Excuse me sir, do you have a moment?"

It was now or never and she rather thought that she had to do it now or it really would be never and she'd be delivering a baby in the stacks because she couldn't muster the courage to tell her boss.

babystamp ~26 weeks

[Image: Elsie-MJSig.png]
MJ always makes her so pretty
Timothy did not enjoy scandal. He didn't think there was anyone who truly did unless they were the sort to enjoy observing the scandals of others. Even so, he had taken quite the understanding stance with his own employees. Miss Beauregard - now Mrs Kirke - was a good worker. The fact she had eloped would probably have been a fireable offense for more sensitive employers. Timothy didn't know. He just knew he couldn't disparage the woman from wanting to marry for love. Would he not do the same if it weren't for the fact that he would never be able to marry a man he loved?

"Yes, do sit down, Miss B-. I mean, Mrs Kirke. My apologies, it's taking some getting used to," he said with a friendly chuckle as he put aside the paperwork he had been going through so that he might see what she wished to speak to him about. "Would you like some tea?"

The waddle was the only thing she couldn't really hide with charms and therefore she did her best to sit appropriately when asked. It was hilarious really, and a little embarrassing, but there was nothing to be done about it now. "It's alright, I'm still getting used to it myself." It had been a couple months by now, but she still couldn't believe she was married with a baby on the way.

"That would be lovely, thank you." She smiled slowly, trying to remain as normal as possible. "There's something I wished to speak with you about," This was so awkward already! She was terrified this was going to be the end of her job and she was already a bit of a mess thanks to the pregnancy, she just needed to keep it together for this one, albeit very important, conversation.

Timothy smiled kindly as the young woman said she was still getting used to her married name herself. Timothy was not one to overly pay attention to people much less their walk so he hardly noticed the waddle.

He got his tea cart and poured out a cup for her and settled it on the desk before her. "Feel free to speak freely," he said as he settled back into his seat and watched her to see what it was she had to say. Was she perhaps looking to resign now that she was married? Some woman did so though Timothy had never shied away from keeping married women with family in his employ.

Though Mr. Ainsworth had always been incredibly kind to her, Elsie was still nervous to broach the subject. She had watched Odira continue to work for the library even after Ewan's birth, so shouldn't altogether be too worried, but everything worried her these days.

Accepting the tea, Elsie fought for how to best articulate her thoughts, even though she had gone over this in her head hundreds of times. "I would like you to know that I am very fond of my position here and I appreciate my employment." He could have very easily let her go after the elopement, Elsie knew that. "And I would like to continue for as long as I can, given that I find myself with child, due sometime in December." If he were to do the math, it would all click and the hit to her reputation may be a factor as well, but she was sincerely hoping that her position at the library would not be one of the things she had to give up altogether.

Timothy waited patiently for the young woman to say what she had come to say. He smiled as she said she was fond of her job and appreciated it. Well, he would hope so. Who wouldn't enjoy being a librarian in such a wonderful library?

Ah. Timothy was a man of science but even so, he was not wholly comfortable talking of women in the context of them giving birth. He was also not a stupid man but even so. The now Mrs. Kirke had proven herself time and again to him. Society would likely already say what they would of her, whisper behind their hands about the timing of elopement and the childs arrival.

No. He would not contribute to that. Instead, his concerns lay elsewhere.

"Congratulations, Mrs. Kirke. Many blessings to your small family," he said as he set down his pen and clasped his hands together. "Being a librarian can be very physical and requires a lot of bending, reaching up, and so on. As you have experienced by now, I'm sure. I cannot, in good conscience, keep you in employment while you are carrying the baby." For both her health and the wee ones. Had he been aware, he might have sent her on her sabbatical months ago.

"However, once you have brought the child into the world and adequately recovered, your position will be waiting for you. All you need worry about is staying well and returning to us in the new year." He made sure to note down while it was fresh in his mind that a position should be held for Mrs. Kirke. He was a man of his word, after all.

The following 1 user Likes Timothy Ainsworth's post:
   Elsie Kirke
Elsie held her breath upon waiting for Mr. Ainsworth's thoughts. A whirlwind of emotions went through her in the short minute that Mr. Ainsworth expressed his congratulations, followed by the blow that he couldn't possibly keep her on in her current condition. Her heart sunk and she felt the tears well up in the corners of her eyes. Normally she was a bit better at keeping her emotions in check, but this pregnancy was ruining that quickly.

She opened her mouth to reply, to say she understood even though she was slightly devastated, but Mr. Ainsworth continued before she could. And thank Merlin for that. "Oh!" She sniffled. "Oh that's lovely. Thank you so much. I really do intend to come back as soon as I can." Elsie knew that she wouldn't be the same person without her job. This library was her other home and she would indeed be lost without it. "I really appreciate your understanding, Mr. Ainsworth." She dabbed at her eyes with a handkerchief from her pocket. "I'm sorry, I'm not usually so emotional." She waved a hand and sniffled again.

Oh, Merlin. Mrs. Kirke was having emotions all over his office. Never mind that she had barely moved from her seat but that was how it felt for the taciturn librarian.

"Of course. It would be a shame to lose a quality librarian simply due to her having started a family." Indeed, if he ever married which he did hope to do though it tended to leave him conflicted. But if he did, he would want his wife to have something that pleased and occupied her. He supposed that must also be the case with Mister Kirke. Or at least, he would hope it was.

"It is all right. I am sure you were quite nervous about what I would have to say." He was all to aware that most other men probably would have just outright dismissed her so that she would be home with the child all the time. But that did not seem at all fair if the young woman wished to also continue working along with motherhood. Mrs Keene seemed to do just fine and he was sure Mrs Kirke would as well.

Elsie felt the built up anxiety and anticipation ebb and she could breathe a little easier. "I had hoped, but didn't want to hope too much." This was a huge relief. They could manage on her savings while she was out of work and then once the baby was home and she was feeling better, she would be able to head back to work and everything would be alright. "I appreciate this opportunity Mr. Ainsworth, I really do." She sighed out, a smile fixed on her lips.

"I'll finish the day at the desk?" She would hate to leave partway through the workday and the desk didn't require too much lifting or bending. "And then I'll be in touch about when I can return." Hopefully it wouldn't be too far into the new year, but she hadn't any idea exactly when the baby was due to arrive and so they would just have to wait and see.

wrap?

Timothy smiled as the young woman made her gratitude known. "Yes, that will be fine," Timothy said when she said she would finish out the day then be in touch. Once she had left his office, he finished filing the paperwork that would assure her guaranteed ability to return to her post.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
View a Printable Version