Updates
Welcome to Charming
Welcome to Charming, the year is now 1891. It’s time to join us and immerse yourself in scandal and drama interlaced with magic both light and dark.

Where will you fall?

Featured Stamp

Add it to your collection...

Did You Know?
As clocks and other timepieces were expensive, working class folk who could not afford to rise with the sun could employ a “knocker-upper” to tap on their windowpane at a scheduled time. Knocker-uppers would work through the night and into the early morning. — Kayte
But then Miss Dempsey paid her so great a compliment that she wanted to hurl herself over the edge of the theater balcony in delight.
sobbing alone in front of a haunted piano

Private
Round One: Commence
Saturday, July 24th, 1891 — Wizard's Chess Tournament Round 1; Hogsmeade Hall
Timothy greatly enjoyed Wizards Chess which was a large reason why he had signed up to compete in the first place. His first opponent was to be a Miss Rosamund Bones. "Are you ready to begin?" He asked once the introductions had been done and both had settled in on their respective sides of the chess board.

@Rosamund Bones / @Elias Grimstone

“As ready as I’ll ever be,” Rosamund said brightly enough, her nerves not having had quite long enough to settle in her stomach and upset the eagerness. Besides, she had no illusions about having the skill to win this chess competition – no doubt she would not even come close – so her expectations would be exceeded if she didn’t come off too badly in this one game.

“Though I have been practising, I warn you,” she said, quirking a smile and offering a self-conscious chuckle that betrayed she did not trust it to make any difference at all. Rommy knew little enough about her opponent – did he work at the library, perhaps? she recognised his face more than she did his name – to judge the opponent he would be.

Nor was she especially sure how he would take her attempt at competitive banter, but it was worth a try. If it proved a failure, at least chess gave everyone the option of sitting in studious silence.

Timothy chuckled good-naturedly as the young lady warned him that she had been practicing. He was glad that his first match was against someone who didn't take themselves too seriously. At least not so much that they couldn't make for a pleasurable game. Timothy might have been a tad competitive but he saw no reason to be a knob about it.

"Then let us see if your practice has paid off, shall we?" He offered in return as he made his move.

“Oh, I doubt it has,” Rosamund replied with a smile, choosing her pawn and her opening strategy. Nothing to reinvent the wheel – or the game of chess, as it was – but she did have a few moves up her sleeve.

When it was her opponent’s turn, she lifted her gaze from the board to study him with much the same intentness.

“Do you get to play very much?” she asked next – half as a distraction technique, and half out of pure interest.

Timothy did his next move which Kit wasn't going to bother trying to describe as Timothy knew a lot more about chess than his writer could ever hope to know.

"[b]I play rather regularly. About once a week, I would say. It's my favorite game to play." It was also one of his sources of socialization since he tended to forget about that aspect of life.

“Oh, does the library run a chess club, by any chance?” Rommy inquired brightly, supposing it was quite a likely place to meet – and a little taken by the idea of having other people to hone her skills against, to boot; her practise at home had been mostly against herself, or a very reluctant Vesta – but as she said it, she realised she had assumed he was someone from the library. “That is – I mean – you do work at the library, don’t you?” She flushed slightly. It would be terribly awkward if she was wrong, and had mistaken Mr. Ainsworth for some other gentleman; unnecessarily awkward, when she could just have kept her mouth shut instead.

Hastily, she moved another piece on the board, feeling a little like she was walking into a trap.

View a Printable Version