Updates
Welcome to Charming
Welcome to Charming, the year is now 1891. It’s time to join us and immerse yourself in scandal and drama interlaced with magic both light and dark.

Where will you fall?

Featured Stamp

Add it to your collection...

Did You Know?
As clocks and other timepieces were expensive, working class folk who could not afford to rise with the sun could employ a “knocker-upper” to tap on their windowpane at a scheduled time. Knocker-uppers would work through the night and into the early morning. — Kayte
But then Miss Dempsey paid her so great a compliment that she wanted to hurl herself over the edge of the theater balcony in delight.
sobing alone in front of a haunted piano

Private
The Great Disappointment
No, she supposed she didn't need to tell anyone (although any of her friends with half a brain would recognize her discomfort, she thought).

"It is so uncomfortable," she bemoaned, leaning forward, elbows resting on her knees, to rest her face in her palms. "And what am I to do if the blood... leaks?" She grimaced at the thought. "And you said this will happen until I have children?" She would be counting the years—no wonder girls liked to marry as soon as they graduated!

immaculate artistry by lady <3
"When you are with child, and for some time afterwards, your cycle will disappear," Rufina confirmed encouragingly, "and then go away for good when you become a grandmother."

graphics by mj ❤ —
Flora had never uttered a swear in her life, but there were half a dozen threatening to escape her lips.

"You mean to tell me... I will endure this for most of my life?" Her voice was calm. Her expression was horrified.

"Unfortunately," Rufina affirmed with a sad, but resigned, smile. "Truly, though, Dearest, it is not so bad once you grow accustomed to it. In time, you will be able to predict the comings and goings of your cycle so you know when to anticipate it, and it shall simply be an inconvenience—after all, before now, had you any idea that I am so afflicted for part of every month?"

graphics by mj ❤ —
She believed her mother, even told herself that this was not the end of the world, that all would be well and—like her mother had said—that she'd grow accustomed to the monthly inconvenience. Still, her heart had not pounded so heavily since the carriage incident years ago, or since seeing the ghastly image of Mrs. Whitledge in the boggart. This was, to put it simply, terrifying.

"I am strong, Mama," she said, wrapping her arms across her torso, "but I'm not sure I'm that strong."

In spite of the discomfort of the situation, Rufina couldn't help but laugh.

"Flora, even the weakest of women endure their cycle," she remarked in explanation. "Girls and women who could never even hope to equal your strength. You will be fine."

graphics by mj ❤ —

View a Printable Version