Updates
Welcome to Charming
Welcome to Charming, the year is now 1894. It’s time to join us and immerse yourself in scandal and drama interlaced with magic both light and dark.

Where will you fall?

Featured Stamp

Add it to your collection...

Did You Know?
Queen Victoria was known for putting jackets and dresses on her pups, causing clothing for dogs to become so popular that fashion houses for just dog clothes started popping up all over Paris. — Fox
It would be easy to assume that Evangeline came to the Lady Morgana only to pick fights. That wasn't true at all. They also had very good biscuits.
Check Your Privilege

Ability to talk to animals?
So I stalked Serpentine Malfoy in the active list and saw she is a parseltongue, which had me thinking. If some wizards could talk to snakes, what's stopping us from having some wizards be able to talk to other animals? Like birds. It could be something that's not super common in the UK but maybe in another place of the world? Or something you can get with an against the odds card if it's something you're born with?

I also feel this sounds vaguely stupid but it's also interesting so xD

The following 1 user Likes Elmer Macmillan's post:
   Reuben Crouch

Lynn cropped this avatar for me and even added a border and I'm very appreciative for that. Love you Lynn.
If this was a thing it might actually entice me to use that AtO I've been hoarding for years >>

Like imagine you could talk to birds and were so annoyed about it and other characters were like "Oh I love waking up to a bright sunshiney day with all the birds singing in the trees" and your character is like "yeah they really never shut the fuck up, do they?!?"

The following 5 users Like Reuben Crouch's post:
   Billie Farrow, Dorian Fisk, Elmer Macmillan, Freddie Prewett, Sweetie Whitledge

MJ made this <3
Can we please add this to the AtOs doc? I want this in my life.

Alot of fiction I read involves gaining the gift of tongues, particularly from drinking dragons blood - so perhaps also their a potion out there (of they literally use a magical variety of the dragons blood herb or whatever the incense is made out of) and complaining because whilst there are animals that are gifted and clever a great many... Are not and their words are literally half the time food food? Mate? Or what's that what's that?

This has a mythical basis in both fairy tales and in Norse myths (the dragons blood thing).

[Image: jdwjMQy.png]
Thanks go to the marvelous MJ for her sensational set.

[Image: s-age.png]
(March 13, 2021 – 11:15 PM)Reuben Crouch Wrote:  If this was a thing it might actually entice me to use that AtO I've been hoarding for years >>

Like imagine you could talk to birds and were so annoyed about it and other characters were like "Oh I love waking up to a bright sunshiney day with all the birds singing in the trees" and your character is like "yeah they really never shut the fuck up, do they?!?"

I'm thinking of the bit in Rick and Morty where it turns out the squirrels control the planet!
(Swearing)
https://youtu.be/ojZVpb0cVkE

[Image: NObv2Tw.jpeg]
Hey fam! Before anybody gets TOO excited, the staff team just wanted to let you guys know we did discuss it, but think, for now, it would be best to stick to canon and leave it at snakes for the time being! Thanks for the ideas though!

The following 4 users Like Elsie Kirke's post:
   Angelica Selwyn, Greta Gillenwater, Madeleine Backus, Roslyn Ross

[Image: Elsie-MJSig.png]
MJ always makes her so pretty
As an addition because it occurs to me now - would animagi have the ability to speak to animals, just their animal, or just their animal class (carnivorous mammal etc), only when transformed, or all the time or only to other transfigured beings.

It's kinda related? I only suggest this because how would the marauders talk ato each other when out on romps with Remus, and I feel like I remember Sirius Black talking with Crookshanks at some stage.

I'm now of course headcanoning that parseltongue came about from either a blood curse of some sort (hence the genetic component with the gaunt family) or a family who seemed to exclusively have snakes as their animagi selves and eventually began to pass down the ability to speak to snakes as a genetic a quirk even without transforming.... Or to fit with the stereotype that parseltongues are evil perhaps their ancestors had to do something bad/vile to gain the ability.

Anyway hope those musings make sense.

[Image: jdwjMQy.png]
Thanks go to the marvelous MJ for her sensational set.

[Image: s-age.png]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
View a Printable Version