Updates
Welcome to Charming
Welcome to Charming, the year is now 1894. It’s time to join us and immerse yourself in scandal and drama interlaced with magic both light and dark.

Where will you fall?

Featured Stamp

Add it to your collection...

Did You Know?
Queen Victoria was known for putting jackets and dresses on her pups, causing clothing for dogs to become so popular that fashion houses for just dog clothes started popping up all over Paris. — Fox
It would be easy to assume that Evangeline came to the Lady Morgana only to pick fights. That wasn't true at all. They also had very good biscuits.
Check Your Privilege

Open
The Hazards of Love
Emrys wasn't romantic, but that didn't mean he was particularly inclined to do things through the proper channels. He was inclined to avoid accruing bastards, the way his brother had, but there were plenty of ways around that. Fucking men, for one thing; fucking married women, for another.

But it wasn't as though he could say that, so instead he replied dryly, "No, I'm not particularly inclined towards rain." After a pause, he added, "And you didn't strike me as the type for secret rendezvous, romantic or otherwise."

wild oceans shake what's left of me loose

E. Selwyn
Minty flushed. "Of course not!" Minty replied quickly. "I mean, it is nice when it happens in the stories, but we couldn't get away with half of things happening in literature. I suppose this is the joy of reading, that it is a tool for escapism."

No, he'd thought not. This was a strange conversation, he thought, and she was a bit of a strange person. He'd assumed early on that she was too repressed to be interesting, but then she'd lit up when discussing the Iliad, which wasn't exactly a tale for the faint of heart.

"What you can get away with depends on how much you have to lose," he pointed out. He wasn't sure if his next comment would be received poorly, but decided to press ahead with it anyway — he had nothing to lose except one of the dozen names left on his list. "I imagine the other Miss Scrimgeour gets away with a great deal."

E. Selwyn
Minty's heart started beating faster. Mentions of her sister always made her feel terribly awkward and mortified. At least Mr. Selwyn didn't seem to be the judgemental sort, though he did strike her as the kind of person to stir discord for the hell of it.

"I suppose," she replied awkwardly. Then, she allowed herself a bit of a bitchy tone: "Miss Scrimgeour does seem to have been cursed to live out the plot of a cheap scandalous novel."

From being kidnapped as a baby to getting disowned and being a harlot who worked as a barmaid, Bella's life would certainly make a novel that rivalled, say, the stories of the Marquis de Sade. (Which Minty had heard were very scandalous!)

The following 1 user Likes Minty Scrimgeour [Sofia]'s post:
   Emrys Selwyn

Emrys had never met the other Miss Scrimgeour, only heard of her through rumors and seen her on the pages of Witch Weekly. It occurred to him that they looked very much alike — were they identical? If they were, this Miss Scrimgeour could have gotten away with just as much, by pretending to be her sister. No one would be surprised to see the fallen Scrimgeour indulging in... just about anything, really, and the proper one could have her reputation unscathed except what she had already lost by association. That was something he could have made use of, if he had an identical twin (or some other convenient means of pinning his own dalliances on his brothers). That was truly the stuff of cheap novels, though — and it was not the sort of thing one could suggest at a nice, proper party like this, anyway.

"Well," he said with a shrug that indicated he didn't much care about it either way, "I'm sure everyone will get what they deserve in the end."

The following 1 user Likes Emrys Selwyn's post:
   Minty Scrimgeour [Sofia]

E. Selwyn
"I suppose," Minty said with a shrug as well. If Bella's life ended like a cheap novel, she would likely die dramatically. Or end up marrying into Muggle mobility. Either way, Minty wanted her life to be uneventful.

Though some do say that the most repressed crave the most adventure.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
View a Printable Version