Updates
Welcome to Charming
Welcome to Charming, the year is now 1894. It’s time to join us and immerse yourself in scandal and drama interlaced with magic both light and dark.

Where will you fall?

Featured Stamp

Add it to your collection...

Did You Know?
Queen Victoria was known for putting jackets and dresses on her pups, causing clothing for dogs to become so popular that fashion houses for just dog clothes started popping up all over Paris. — Fox
It would be easy to assume that Evangeline came to the Lady Morgana only to pick fights. That wasn't true at all. They also had very good biscuits.
Check Your Privilege

Hamilton [spoilers]
Not really a discussion but funny!

https://youtu.be/zZzDP-vQXao

[Image: FXPVanK.png]
MJ Did Beautiful things!
Some original thoughts and then some replies to you all...

— I was WAY more invested in the Angelica/Alexander dynamic when I was just listening to the soundtrack. Seeing it on stage it felt underwhelming and I was a little annoyed at both of them for carrying on with witty flirtatious letters when Alexander/Eliza was clearly a better couple xD
— ...And I think I felt that way because Eliza/Alexander's choreography in 'Helpless' was so good, and the lack of Angelica/Alexander choreography following just... idk it didn't build their relationship the same way that Eliza/Alexander's did.
— I am absolutely in love with all of the letter choreography throughout the show, but especially especially especially the bit where Alex is signing letters and chorus members are swirling them across the stage to Eliza — like! —
— I love LMM and was not bothered a bit by his singing. The moments where it was underwhelming, I think he really made up for it with emotion/acting nuance. What did bother me was that the descriptions of Hamilton/reactions of the rest of the cast didn't match him. Particularly in ACT I, Hamilton is supposed to be this very young, scrappy guy — 'hunger pang frame' — and then there's this 30-something guy with a goatee. xD That pulled me out of it a bit whenever it happened and I feel like watching it with a notably younger-looking actor would have been a different experience. Plus, even in ACT II, he's still treated as an inexperienced hothead by many of the characters so I don't think a younger-looking casting choice would detract anything there.
— King George was so much more entertaining to watch than he is on the soundtrack. I adored him. At the end of his third song when he sat down I said to Jack "omg what if he just sat there and watched the whole rest of the play??" and Jack was like "how do you know he doesn't?" and needless to say we looked at nothing else until he left xD
— When the staircase first rolled out in "History Has Its Eyes On You" I actually said "ooooh" out loud lmao xD I was a big fan of the rolling staircase, sorry Chris. ;P

(July 5, 2020 – 7:58 PM)Amelia Evans Wrote:  [*]LAFAYETTE & JEFFERSON -- Daveed Diggs has said that he was nervous at the beginning to sing cause he's not a singer, and I think the director Thomas Kail told him to just play it up like he knew he could and I LOVE his take on it. Granted I haven't seen anything else, so I have no frame of reference lol but I just love his energy and expressions. He's perfect for Jefferson cause his talent with insane multi-syllabic verses is just uuuggghhhh

[*]I know it's D+ so swearing had to be cut but I really wish they had allowed "When you knock me down I get the fuck back up again" cause that's one of my favorite lines.

[*]UGHH John Lauren's segment where he dies is just even that more horrible cause he died after the war was over -sobs-
— His energy as Jefferson was incredible! I fell in love halfway through his first number. He was so entertaining to watch I just couldn't handle it.

— Maybe I accidentally got the adult version of Disney+ but we definitely had some swearing in ours? Did my mind just fill it in because I knew what they were saying?

— I didn't know about the death letter since it wasn't on the soundtrack and it was so impactful! Really well staged, and the tone shift from Hamilton looking at his son to throwing himself into his work was heartbreaking and perfect.

(July 6, 2020 – 3:17 AM)Holly Scrimgeour Wrote:  I love how they didn't cast based on historical ethnicity? It's a super common argument that "oh ___ shouldn't play this character because they're not white!" (see: The live-action Little Mermaid and Cursed Child scandal) and this really shuts it down. This might be common in theater but I've not been exposed to enough of it to be sure.

This is common enough that there's a name for it! It's called colorblind casting. The first time I saw it done was in like 2005 or something and it's becoming more and more popular. It's especially common for Shakespeare and other 'classic' plays, I think (which admittedly don't have a 'correct' race most of the time... but casting multiple ethnicities in the same on-stage family a la the Schuyler Sisters is an example of this).

And re: the duel lead-up discussion that Dante/MJ are having: I agree with MJ here! Getting the build-up from Burr's perspective and that uncertainty is really key to humanizing him. The desperation in Burr's voice when he talks about Hamilton's glasses and 'this man will not make an orphan of my daughter' is just pure gold.

Hamilton definitely has a visible growth arc regarding dueling, from an impulsive young man who supports his friend in avenging Washington's honor and even wishing the duel had been more lethal to advising his own son to aim for the sky. Since we've been exposed to all of that on stage already, I think the line "he aims his pistol at the sky" right before Burr's "WAIT!" really makes it all obviously come full circle. We know exactly what Hamilton was doing, and why — but we still get to empathize with Burr right up until that moment when we realize.

I was also really impressed by how Hamilton's final monologue was staged. On the soundtrack it sort of seemed messy, but I was really invested when I watched it — especially the lines to Eliza (something along the lines of 'don't hurry'?) Got me feeling all sorts of feelings.

How did you all interpret Eliza's gasp at the end? My first thought was that it breaks the fourth wall for a moment and she sees in audience in the theater, relating back to that theme of 'will they tell our story?' — it's basically the answer to her question. Yes, they're telling the story, and here's a sold-out house on Broadway here to listen to it. But while that was my first interpretation I'm not sure I'm that into it, particularly because the tell our story motif was introduced so late. (The gasp could also just be 'she dies' but that is even less powerful imo xD)

I'd really love to hear from anyone who saw it live if that was your interpretation of the ending or not!

The following 4 users Like Ophelia Devine's post:
   Amelia Evans, Billie Farrow, Elias Grimstone, Jupiter Smith
I may get my essay of thoughts on the whole thing together one day, but a little snippet of feelings:

I'm one of those people who prefers LMM's voice to technically better singers in the role. I saw Hamilton on Broadway after a few cast changes, and I found that there was something missing without the flat kinda raspiness LMM has? I always thought it made sense for Hamilton's actor to have a less polished voice because he describes himself as being in need of improvement and polish, fitting in with the theme of having to prove himself for all these accomplished people who come from wealth & have legacies to uphold, instead of create. He stands out from the rest of the cast, much in the way Hamilton stood apart from his contemporaries. LMM also sings in the way rappers who aren't also vocalists tend to and having heard that a lot growing up in NY, it just sounds familiar to my ears in a nice way. LMM is also probably the best rapper who's ever been in the role from what I've seen, which I appreciate a lot.

Of course, it's totally fine to have other preferences! This is just one of mine haha.

Also:

This might just be me, but I don't like Leslie's vocal choice in the D+ version vs the album. In the album, his voice is smoother and more in his chest, but in D+ his voice is a bit more nasaly and sounds in his nose. Chris pointed out it might be the mics, but it feels like a definite choice and Im not sure Im here for it. The reason might to make Burr sound a bit more slippery and slick, but I still like his smoother version xD But that might just be me?

I felt this so much! I've figuratively worn the tape out on the OBC so I'm very used to Leslie sounding smoother and lower, and that's what I prefer for Burr. I do think it was a choice because Leslie's got a versatile voice and no one else had that significant a change. He still sounds good it's just not the version I'd prefer lmao.

For the World was Wide Enough - Hamilton's monologue always breaks my heart there, so much so that I find it genuinely difficult to listen to? It's just the meta-ish acknowledgment of the fact that his life is ending right here and the way he talks about seeing people he's loved/admired 'on the other side'. And UGH his lines to Eliza kill me. "My love, take your time," never fails to make me bawl like a baby.

As for Eliza's gasp at the end, I always interpreted it as her seeing Hamilton and her son again after she's passed away? No idea where I got that idea from, but it's been in my head for years. My live show somewhat bolstered this because they made the choice to have Eliza turn away from the audience and look up to where Hamilton, Washington, Philip, etc. were standing.

The following 2 users Like Ivy Rose Shaw's post:
   Amelia Evans, Billie Farrow

[Image: FFiUvX.png]
(July 6, 2020 – 9:52 AM)Elias Grimstone Wrote:  A separate post just to express my insane enthusiasm for the revolve stage:

In some shows the revolve is sheer gimmick and I hate it but Hamilton uses it SO EXCELLENTLY and (as with Les Mis) I always appreciate the effect of LITERAL REVOLUTIONS in any musicals about ACTUAL REVOLUTION.

/insert jenny slate meme here

YES THIS!!! Chris also hates them so I got an earful about that, but his thoughts were pretty much aligned to yours hahah

(July 10, 2020 – 7:16 PM)Ophelia Devine Wrote:  And re: the duel lead-up discussion that Dante/MJ are having: I agree with MJ here! Getting the build-up from Burr's perspective and that uncertainty is really key to humanizing him. The desperation in Burr's voice when he talks about Hamilton's glasses and 'this man will not make an orphan of my daughter' is just pure gold.

Hamilton definitely has a visible growth arc regarding dueling, from an impulsive young man who supports his friend in avenging Washington's honor and even wishing the duel had been more lethal to advising his own son to aim for the sky. Since we've been exposed to all of that on stage already, I think the line "he aims his pistol at the sky" right before Burr's "WAIT!" really makes it all obviously come full circle. We know exactly what Hamilton was doing, and why — but we still get to empathize with Burr right up until that moment when we realize.

YES I agree with all of this! From the desperation to the humanizing, etc it's all so heartbreaking. Also [as discussed above] just the fact that Burr's song, Wait for It finally closes with him shouting "WAIT" and then with the whole "My Shot" and Hamilton actually throwing away his shot just adds an entirely new layer. I know others might have caught on to that symbol but I totally did NOT and it just registered with me a few days ago so I'm still reeling xD

(July 10, 2020 – 7:16 PM)Ophelia Devine Wrote:  
How did you all interpret Eliza's gasp at the end? My first thought was that it breaks the fourth wall for a moment and she sees in audience in the theater, relating back to that theme of 'will they tell our story?' — it's basically the answer to her question. Yes, they're telling the story, and here's a sold-out house on Broadway here to listen to it. But while that was my first interpretation I'm not sure I'm that into it, particularly because the tell our story motif was introduced so late. (The gasp could also just be 'she dies' but that is even less powerful imo xD)

I'd really love to hear from anyone who saw it live if that was your interpretation of the ending or not!

LMM & Tommy Kail have said it's different for each actress and totally open to interpretation but I interpreted Philippa's as the following:
— she dies :P
— she sees her loved ones in the after-world, but there's more to that. I went to a catholic elementary and middle school and I remember one of my favorite teachers said something that's stuck with me for a while. (he also happened to be a history teacher) That he hopes that when he dies and enters into Heaven, that he gains all the answers to the questions that he doesn't know the answers to. Personally I'm not very religious (as always though, to each their own) but it's still stuck with me and I like the idea of Eliza acquiring this knowledge of how profound her and everyone else's story is to the world when she dies. To me, it's a combination of relief, pride, love and unbridled joy at finding out the impact they had.

(July 10, 2020 – 7:35 PM)Ivy Rose Shaw Wrote:  I may get my essay of thoughts on the whole thing together one day, but a little snippet of feelings:

I'm one of those people who prefers LMM's voice to technically better singers in the role. I saw Hamilton on Broadway after a few cast changes, and I found that there was something missing without the flat kinda raspiness LMM has? I always thought it made sense for Hamilton's actor to have a less polished voice because he describes himself as being in need of improvement and polish, fitting in with the theme of having to prove himself for all these accomplished people who come from wealth & have legacies to uphold, instead of create. He stands out from the rest of the cast, much in the way Hamilton stood apart from his contemporaries. LMM also sings in the way rappers who aren't also vocalists tend to and having heard that a lot growing up in NY, it just sounds familiar to my ears in a nice way. LMM is also probably the best rapper who's ever been in the role from what I've seen, which I appreciate a lot.

Of course, it's totally fine to have other preferences! This is just one of mine haha.

Also:

This might just be me, but I don't like Leslie's vocal choice in the D+ version vs the album. In the album, his voice is smoother and more in his chest, but in D+ his voice is a bit more nasaly and sounds in his nose. Chris pointed out it might be the mics, but it feels like a definite choice and Im not sure Im here for it. The reason might to make Burr sound a bit more slippery and slick, but I still like his smoother version xD But that might just be me?

I felt this so much! I've figuratively worn the tape out on the OBC so I'm very used to Leslie sounding smoother and lower, and that's what I prefer for Burr. I do think it was a choice because Leslie's got a versatile voice and no one else had that significant a change. He still sounds good it's just not the version I'd prefer lmao.

This is a good point!!! I do like his cadence and raspiness, esp on the original album but it also might have been a rough voice day for him? Again, I don't think he's bad, I'd just be interested in comparing the two.

I think you're also right about it being a choice! It could have been to make the character sound more slippery but it also could have been a vocal technique he used to help his voice along. I noticed that every time Leslie and the cast do a Zoom performance, he still goes all out, so it'd make sense he might have been trying to go into his head voice to help his vocal cords.

SIDE NOTE, Leslie Odom Jr.'s album Mr. has a track called Go Crazy that is just....uuuggghhhh incredibly sexy >.>

The following 2 users Like Amelia Evans's post:
   Billie Farrow, Dorothea Birdwhistle

[Image: gvM7opq.png]
Can't believe I forgot to mention this, but I have a theory that LMM chose the streaming release date strategically to garner momentum for a renewal/ revision of the US CARES Act. For anyone who doesn't know, CARES is what our Congress passed to help pay people who lost income due to Covid, and it expires this week. We've known for months that the Senate didn't want to renew it, and we've also known for months that Broadway won't reopen until 2021.

Hamilton was originally set to stream on Disney+ sometime next year, and now my social media is flooded with stuff like this and I'm pretty convinced LMM did this intentionally. He's done activism stuff in the past and I can totally see him being like "I'm going to get about 4 weeks of this being the hottest thing on streaming services. What can we do for the theater community in 4 weeks?"

(June 4, 2020 – 7:54 PM)Percival Adlard Jr. Wrote:  I'm pretty convinced LMM did this intentionally. He's done activism stuff in the past and I can totally see him being like "I'm going to get about 4 weeks of this being the hottest thing on streaming services. What can we do for the theater community in 4 weeks?"
I did wonder about this! I've seen a lot of 'movement not a moment' posting, and some of the lyrics esp in the first act of the show are the words of young revolution, throwing off oppressive and abusive power - the timing is very apt! Especially having young black and brown men using a style of music considered 'thuggish' by the establishment (old white men) to make intelligent, cogent and articulate points, and reminding people that the founding fathers would have respected the spirit of BLM and what they are trying to achieve because its what they were trying to achieve to.
I hope it's not a coincidence, I hope its purposeful but its def appropriate either way

[Image: lucban.png]
Lady is amazing!
So I just came across the video where Anthony Ramos proposes to Jasmine Cephas-Jones and don't mind me, Im sobbing. And then laughing when she's just in awe over the ring (tbh I would be too if I were her >.>)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqsNBBG0avs

Re: Eliza's gasp, yeah I have always interpreted as Lynn did, Eliza has just been talking about all the stuff she did to secure Hamilton's legacy and with all the Elizas I have seen they have definitely been looking out at the audience just as the lights are about to come up on the house. It definitely gets to me a bit, I love that meta moment.

In terms of Hamilton's voice/acting/age, I've seen it a couple times in London and experienced two actors, Jamael Westman and the alternate at the time who both had remarkably different styles in the same part! I ended up coming away liking one of their Act Ones better and the other's Act Two, which I think had something to do with who better played the over-earnest youth vs the troubled later Ham. Other live performance castings things specific to the West End: legit no one can match Leslie as Burr on the soundtrack, but Giles Terera acted it excellently and is a Horrible Histories alumnus so I love him anyway. I also went in thinking no one could match Groff's King George HOWEVER both Michael Jibson and Jon Robyns were superb and definitely did the part justice/got a million laughs.

The West End letdowns were consistently the Jefferson casting who never LEAVES who just doesn't have Daveed's flair, although he is probably more appropriately aged in terms of feeling older than the other cast members. And the first Eliza I saw (Rachelle Ann Go) was also way more annoying than Philippa Soo and I didn't like her voice so that ruined a lot of my favourite songs xD Luckily her replacement was better but gah >.>

(And yeah in terms of colourblind casting, theatre is usually fairly good at it these days. One of the first films in which I've seen it done well with interracial families (and period drama!) was literally this year's David Copperfield where race is really not commented on at all. This is not really Hamilton related I just like to pimp this film a lot xD)

The following 1 user Likes Elias Grimstone's post:
   Amelia Evans

look ANOTHER beautiful bee!set <3
(July 10, 2020 – 9:50 PM)Elias Grimstone Wrote:  (And yeah in terms of colourblind casting, theatre is usually fairly good at it these days. One of the first films in which I've seen it done well with interracial families (and period drama!) was literally this year's David Copperfield where race is really not commented on at all. This is not really Hamilton related I just like to pimp this film a lot xD)
OMFG I need to see this right now. Thank you. I love David Copperfield.

The following 1 user Likes Billie Farrow's post:
   Elias Grimstone

[Image: gmun6e3.png]

MJ, yet again working her magic.  <3 <3 Thank you
I fell down a YouTube rabbit hole. This user has created some very interesting videos about Hamilton and music theory. (As well as others about Hamilton in general!)
In case you are interested.

The following 1 user Likes Zachariah Binns's post:
   Amelia Evans

[Image: xPlE4V4.png]
Pretties thanks to Olive! <3
Cause I am addicted to spreadsheets:

Found this earlier version of the duel that includes a monologue from Hamilton. I like the final version better for sure but this was interesting, and addresses Dante's point!

Also Jack heard a thing that went over our heads when we watched it: When introducing Laurens, Layfette and Mulligan, they all use early rap styles where the rhymes are simpler, and when Hamilton joins his verses use a more modern style. Apparently this was intentional to signal how Hamilton was very forward-thinking/ahead of his time even among his peers.

The following 4 users Like Ophelia Devine's post:
   Aldous Crouch, Amelia Evans, Billie Farrow, Eloise Manwaring
(July 23, 2020 – 8:28 PM)Ophelia Devine Wrote:  Also Jack heard a thing that went over our heads when we watched it: When introducing Laurens, Layfette and Mulligan, they all use early rap styles where the rhymes are simpler, and when Hamilton joins his verses use a more modern style. Apparently this was intentional to signal how Hamilton was very forward-thinking/ahead of his time even among his peers.

LMM gave an interview somewhere talking about the writing process for My Shot (it took him a year to write!!!!). In the interview he mentioned how he was constantly challenging himself to condense Hamilton's lines (what Laurens & co said in 4 lines Hamilton said in 2). It was a very intentional decision on LMM's part.

The following 2 users Like Eloise Manwaring's post:
   Aldous Crouch, Amelia Evans

View a Printable Version