Updates
Welcome to Charming
Welcome to Charming, the year is now 1894. It’s time to join us and immerse yourself in scandal and drama interlaced with magic both light and dark.

Where will you fall?

Featured Stamp

Add it to your collection...

Did You Know?
Queen Victoria was known for putting jackets and dresses on her pups, causing clothing for dogs to become so popular that fashion houses for just dog clothes started popping up all over Paris. — Fox
It would be easy to assume that Evangeline came to the Lady Morgana only to pick fights. That wasn't true at all. They also had very good biscuits.
Check Your Privilege

The Diary of Octavia Rose Fawley
[Image: 5adaed4c778e40654f46ab13820ff011.jpg]

[Image: n6cJGfq.jpg]
Lady makes such lovely things.
31th May 1890

Dear Diary –

It is the morning after the coming out ball at Hogwarts. I sit here, at what has been my desk now in my room for seven years for the last time. Mother thought a diary an apt graduation gift and it is well received. The girls around me are finishing packing the rest of their belongings. I should be doing that as well, but it is hard to bring myself to it knowing I will never return to this room with these girls. We've all done it. We've graduated. Seven years of school gone and over and even though I know what comes next, I do not know what to do. To not wake to classes and sit and finish my charms homework here.

To lose the nights with these girls. It feels as if I'm losing a part of me. We will still be friends as I will with the girls younger than be as the girls older with me are with me but it is different going from living with each other every night to having to plan our meetings. I've sat on it and figured out how to describe the feeling - it feels as if I'm losing sisters. We will never fall asleep to childish fits of laughter or the silence of anger ever again. I am supposed to be happy for the next stage of my life - and I am,  I really am - but the echoes of this life will haunt me as well.

On the flip side, I am excited.  Last night was my first glimpse of society as a member of society rather than an onlooker viewed as just a child. I danced with men and I briefly met Mr. Abbott (Di's fiancee) though I will insist upon a proper meeting this week. I'm happy for Di but now that she is engaged,  Mother's full attention will be on me this season when I had counted on sharing it. So many expectations weight form on my shoulders but I think these heaviest are my own.  I've concocted this ideal of being engaged or courting before this season ends which leaves me so much to do. I can't marry before Di now that she is engaged so hopefully, their engagement is not long. I'd quite like a winter wedding.

(In which Tavie will describe the ball.)

Anxious and Excited,
Octavia Rose

[Image: 38ihLW.png]

7th June 1890

Dear Diary –

Today was the first time I have been mentioned my Witch Weekly directly by name, rather than obvious illuding as there was once before. I have tucked in the article for safe keeping. Well, actually the whole issues. I am on the cover - well, my classmates and I. It was Witch Week's yearly review of the Hogwart's debutantes. It was a litttle strange to read it this year, when it was my classmates broken down to nothing but facts and their families. Myself included. It had far less disconnect than the prior years, even if I still knew the other women. It isn't wrong. Not a single fact they said was wrong, but it was still strange to see them reduced to that.

Maybe the Whitledges tend to be a little scattered, but the way the present Darling's sister is so... flat. They say she treated the whole thing with disdain and would make a horrible wife. But they fail to look at how intelligent she is. For a man that wants a wife who can hold a conversation, she would be brilliant. But, I think she wants to work. I shared a dorm with Miss Finch for seven years. She is far more than her sister's mistake. In reality, she is so sweet and has such a lovely smile.

... As for the rest, I tried to find something nice to say. I really did but I don't know them well enough. I mean, Miss Ruskin is a half-vampire for goodness sakes! I'm not sure how to find any positive about that. Any of her children will be a quarter vampire. (Assuming she marries a human - if she marries at all.)

According to Witch Weekly, I am the "Least Disappointing Debutante of the 1890 Season". It sounds like such a wonderful thing to aspire to. I can't help but roll my eyes. That doesn't paint a good picture of me if you just read the heading. Still, the commentary was nice, even if they weren't the most hopeful about my sister. They said I'd likely make a quicker and more prestigious match than Mr. Abbott. That and they like my dress. I'm so glad they did. I did get it to specifically match the bracelet Cassie got me and the earings from Di. I think I might be walking clouds for the next few days after that though.

Still, I'm sure once Clarissa debutes in a few days, I'll no longer be the only saving grace.

Oh, I nearly forgot. Miss Naomi Hertz sent out invitations to her wedding. I cannot believe her audacity! She actually scheduled it the same day as Mr. William Pendergast and Miss Cornelia Lestrange. Why would she even think of scheduling her wedding on the same day as a Pendergast/Lestrange wedding? As I have been invited and am family to the Lestranges and Pendergast, I will be attending that wedding. Even if it wasn't the same day, I could never attend a Ruskin wedding. Miss Hertz will be step-mother to a bunch of half-vampires! Widow or not, marrying a vampire lover is not acceptable. Frankly, she is bound to be killed.
Feeling Excited,
Octavia Rose

The following 1 user Likes Octavia Fawley's post:
   Ophelia Devine

5th July 1890

Dear Diary –

Today saw a new issue of Witch Weekly. It had a very interesting opinion piece about the boarding system in Hogwarts, about how we room with others of different classes. I think had I not had an older sister or parents who went to Hogwarts I would have been so shocked to room with someone of the working class. They had quite a few points that I found myself agree with. I know there were a few of my peers who were jealous of what others had, or felt poorly using their own belongings when another girl in the dorm either did not have the item or had a lesser quality. I'm not sure they ever will divided the dorms by class, but I certainly would support it.

They also came out with an issue of Lonely Hearts this week and while many of them were from women - which does not surprise me as the magazine is geared towards women - there was the one from this man who called himself Romeo. Here I'll clip it in.

My Romeo

Romantic gentleman of good character and good family seeks young lady of similar disposition and pureblood family for friendship with the possibility of love and marriage. Show me you are a true romantic by writing addressing me 'Your Romeo'.

Well, I think I'm going to reply. I'm not sure who wrote it but I like the romantic appeal to it that they wish to be friends first. It can't hurt after all. As long as I don't use my name it can't be traced back to me. And I wish nothing to deal with a gentleman who hasn't the honor to reveal his identity first. And he mentions that he is of pure blood, which shall make mother happy! I only hope he is of similar wealth as us or else I might as well be chasing something with no end in sight. I don't think I would do well to marry down. I far to like my creature comforts.

Hopeful and Excited,
Octavia Rose

8th January 1891

Dear Diary –

I fear I've done you a great disservice in abandoning you but I shall try to do better in the future.  I shall now catch you up briefly on what has happened.

My last attention at responding to a lonely hearts advertisement- the one I mentioned in my last entry went poorly. As it turns out the man's mother actually had written the ad without telling him and he had no interest at all. I still do not know who he was but I have my guesses. He was new to English society and asked after diviners so I'd place bets on the middle-class Mr. Zabini from Italy I believe?  He seemed nice enough but as I said uninterested and middle class. I do think he might make an interesting pair with that Urquart girl the year below me - the one with the werewolf twin.

Di has married Mr. Abbott, they appear quite happy and she has not told me otherwise. I'm hoping to be an aunt again soon, this time to Diana's children rather than Henry's. I can already think of a million ways to spoil them. After all, Henry's daughter was born while I was still in Hogwarts so I didn't get to be there but now I will!

I however have been unsuccessful in finding my own match and I fear I need to start being more aggressive with doing so. While I lovely my friends in the year below me dearly, I fear they will be more competition for a husband than any of the girls in my year were. I fear I might become old news and swept away. It with the old in with the new. A silly fear I know considering there are plenty of girls who go onto multiple seasons and still secure a wonderful match. Look at Di!

Regardless, I need to be more forward. If I don't succeed this next season I might ask my father to start looking at arranging a match for me himself. Father would never set me with someone horrible. I would trust his choice. Maybe I can also see if any of Di's school friends brothers are looking?

Concerned,
Octavia Rose

11th January 1891

Dear Diary –

Oh it is most wonderful news! I'm to be an aunt! Well, an aunt again! But this time to Diana's first child. How delightful! I know she'll need to have a boy eventually but I do hope for a girl to spoil. I'll need to beat Will's sister and Henry's wife as the favorite aunt.] but I believe I can do it.

Di did tell me not to tell anyone yet. She hasn't even told Will yet but apparently, babies can be lost in the first part of pregnancy. That wasn't something I knew and it makes it a little bit scary, I guess.

Anyways, I'm sure Di and the baby will be fine and I just know Will will be so excited when she tells him. I can't wait to meet them.

Concerned,
Octavia Rose

29th January 1891

Dear Diary –

Oh Mother has agreed to allow me to accompany Diana and William on the new Santa Antonina! Oh how exciting. The advertisment decibed it as an "eighteen-day, multi-country tour of coastal Europe". I've never seen a good many of the countries that it will visit - Scotland, Belgium, Portugal, Spain, Italy, Algeria, France. I've only seen France out of those as our vactations tend to take use to Asia in the east rather than here in Europe. Each site will only be a day but the other nights will be full of performances and dances. Maybe mother will let me have new dresses made for each of the dances - after all it will be one of my last chances to be out in society without the new Hogwart's graduates. Four new dresses for such an event doesn't seem unrealistic at all!

Mrs. W will be going as well and it will be nice to see her as well. I don't see her as much now that she is Di's lady's maid. I'm sure she'll be so excited to end up playing chaperone to me once more.

I'll need to start asking around to see if any of my friends will also be aboard and which gentlemen will be there as well. Maybe I still have a chance to see myself courting before the start of the next season.

Thrilled,
Octavia Rose

1st February 1891

Dear Diary –

I've put myself in the hands of fate once more hoping for a better outcome then last time. I've once again written into Witch Weekly in reply of a Lonely Hearts posting that I've added in below.

Seeking Refined Bride
Pureblood man with established position and quiet dignity seeks amiable and intelligent woman for marriage, hopefully within one year. A fondness for poetry, literature, and fine music is desirable although not required.

It is by no means the bleeding heart that the last Lonely Hearts I replied to was, but this one did state further outright what they were and what they were looking for so maybe this time I might have better luck when I receive a reply. I worry that I might not fit what they seek as I do not count myself among the intelligent but amiable and I am also quite fond of all the things he listed otherwise.

I've enclosed a copy of my reply as well and I shall hopefully have updates in this manner soon.

Dear Seeking –
I write in response to your Lonely Hearts advertisement. I am a pureblood woman of the age of eighteen from a respectable, well-off family. I enjoy literature and music immensely and while my singing voice might not be the best, I am well versed in multiple instruments and enjoy both listening to music and performing for my family and friends.
I believe I am an excellent conversationalist and while I have yet to put my hostessing skills to the test beyond my family and close friends, I can assure you I have been trained on such manors.
Is there anything else you wish to know of me?
I have a few questions for you as well. I wish to enquire about your age, status, demenor, and hobbies.
Do write back soon,
Dove

I kept the same pen name as before, it seemed fitting.

Hopeful,
Octavia Rose

14th February 1891

Dear Diary –

I have been attacked by a gnome at a garden party. I can honestly say that is not something I thought I would ever say. Well, it didn't attack me directly because of my wonderful kight in shining armor - Fitzroy Prewett.

I stumbled across him at Mrs. Wildsmith's garden party facing down a gnome. I've never met him face to face before so admittedly I worried he might not be fully alright with how much he seemed worried about the gnome he was staring down. Honestly, he said nothing to me for some time other than to tell me to step back, and I saw myself the only one talking. In retrospect, I think I embarrassed myself greatly in my assumptions as I tried to tell him it would be fine and that would should simply return to the party and tell Mrs. Wildsmith to have her gardeners to deal with the gnome. That is what they are there for after all.

Of course, after all my babbling the gnome actually did attack. I'm afraid to say I wasn't much use as all I did was throw my parasol at it as if I was a muggle rather than a witch. I dare say I really must start bringing my wand to even the most mundane events even if I never was that proficient at defensive magic for anything would be better than throwing my parasol.

Mr. Pewerrt stepped in and stunned the gnome before kicking it away.

[.....]

Embarrassed but fawning,
Octavia Rose

22nd February 1891

Dear Diary –

I believe I have reached the point that I must give up hope of hearing from the gentlemen who penned the Lonely Hearts addvertisement. I do not know why I have not heard back other than perhapse I said something about myself in the reply that he may have not liked. I'm not sure what. I tried to keep the letter nuteral all while sounding positive and true to myself. Maybe he disliked my age or the fact i was truthful about my lack of singing skills.

I suppose if that is the case then it is not a loss for me. Besides, tomorrow is the birthday party of the Prewett twins and I have found myself with an invitation. Maybe this will be something I should pursue, after all, I remember speaking to Darling and Jemma before graduation last year that he was someone I might consider. Maybe him rescuing me is a sign of fate. After all, I do think Mrs. Octavia Rose Prewett might sound nice.

Disappointed and opptimistic,
Octavia Rose

23nd February 1891

Dear Diary –

I didn't get to speak to Mr. Prewett last night but I will not be detoured by such a small obsticle. There shall be other balls.

Determined,
Octavia Rose

18th March 1891

Dear Diary –

Just over a week left untill the San Antonina departs. I am most excited and I have already had the maids pack most of my belongings. I will be going to Lyttons tomorrow to collect my dresses. Mother agreed to three new ones - two ball gowns (one for the opening dance and then another for the last dance) and a day dress for the departure. I have picked two of my lesser worn dresses for the other dances.

I shall now write on who I've heard is going at least those I consider of note.

First of all, I have heard that Mr. Fitzroy Prewett is in possession of a ticket. I will have to make an effort to speak to him and maybe a dance or two with him aboard the ship.

Clarissa will be aboard as well, blessedly. I cannot imagine the trip without a single friend.

I've also learned that Aunt Herminone and Uncle Kenneth will also be aboard.

I've heard as well that Mr. Raphael Malfoy will be aboard as well and while he is young, his family name and wealth certainly make up for that factor. But I also do not know if he is yet seeking a wife and I worry that if I was to marry someone sponsoring a different quidditch team than Will does might stain Di and I's relationship.

[other commentary on other passengers]

Determined,
Octavia Rose

26th March 1891

Dear Diary –

I write early in the morning as I found my self far to excited to sleep last night and far to embaressed to ask for a sleeping potion in fear that it might make me seem childish. Today will be the first day of the cruise. I will miss mother and father but I will be nice to see so many places. Waking up to the ocean view. This will be the first trip that I will have the room to myself rather than sharing with Diana. It almost makes me wish I had another sister as I imagine it will be lonely not to stay up late sharing everything that happened that day and gossiping.

Mrs. W and Clare (the maid mother chose to come with me) will be sharing a space in the working-class quarters.

Oh, mother is calling me. I'll write later of the first day.

Determined,
Octavia Rose

28th March 1891

Dear Diary –

How silly of me to think I would have time to write every night. By the time I come back at night it is all I can do to stand long enough to allow Clare to assist me in preparing for bed. I drift even as I write now but I shall write for as long as I can stay awake.

The ship is huge and decorated with care. There are three sun decks, many retiring rooms, two dining halls, and I couldn't begin to count how many cabins there are on this ship. So far my favorite spots are the sundecks. One of the decks is only for men, but the coed and ladies decks are plenty. Well really anywhere on the ship where I can watch the water roll by. My cabin has a porthole out which I can see the ocean during the day though by night when I return it is far too dark to see out.

The first dance was thrilling though I found myself unable to acquire a dance with Mr. Prewett I danced with many others and have no regrets.

[more mundane cruise details]

Thrilled,
Octavia Rose

8th April 1891

Dear Diary –

Something has gone wrong. They aren't telling us much yet but I can tell the crew is stressed. Clare has been telling me things as she learns them. The crew are speaking far more freely in the working-class area than they are here. I'm sure they mean for us not to panic but I feel I would panic far less with more information as to what is going on. I'm not sure as to where Di or Will are and that is making me only more stressed.

~ ♥ ~

The ship is sinking. They finally told us what is going on. We are to be evacuated into the lifeboats, with women and children to go first. I still haven't found Diana yet or Will and now in the panic, I've lost Clare as well. We are to leave our belongings and I know this is silly of me with everything happening but I don't wish to leave my belongings. I never got to wear the second dress and the bracelet Cassie got me and the earing from Di for my graduation. I suppose I shouldn't have brought anything I wasn't willing to part with but you never expect your ship to sink. The thought hadn't even crossed my mind until they announced the evacuation. I know logically that in the grand scheme my life is worth more than my possessions but that doesn't mean I have to be okay with parting from them.

I've collected a small bag of my most valuable items. Some of my jewelry, my wand, and this will go in. I've spelled it to be waterproof but I've never tested the charm against more than rain. I'm not sure it was meant for what I use it for now, but it is better than attempting nothing. They may yell at me all they like but it will not take up that much room in the lifeboat and I refuse to part with these things. At least I'm not asking to being any clothes other than what I wear now. At least I had the foresight to grab a jacket. They are coming to collect us now. I must stop writing. I do not wish to be seen crying but I cannot bring myself to stop. I can tell by sound alone I am not alone in that.

I want to find Di.

Scared,
Octavia Rose

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Lycoris Dempsey
December 1, 2023 – 12:45 AM
Last Post by Donna Conray
October 1, 2023 – 4:49 AM
View a Printable Version