Updates
Welcome to Charming
Welcome to Charming, the year is now 1894. It’s time to join us and immerse yourself in scandal and drama interlaced with magic both light and dark.

Where will you fall?

Featured Stamp

Add it to your collection...

Did You Know?
Queen Victoria was known for putting jackets and dresses on her pups, causing clothing for dogs to become so popular that fashion houses for just dog clothes started popping up all over Paris. — Fox
It would be easy to assume that Evangeline came to the Lady Morgana only to pick fights. That wasn't true at all. They also had very good biscuits.
Check Your Privilege

Private
Taste of Freedom
March 6, 1890 - Ministry of Magic

It had taken months for the release to come through. But what was two more months to a creature who could live forever? Galina was surprised her release had been as simple as it had. Yet she could not shake the feeling of betrayal. Had she betrayed Mari or had Mari betrayed her? Perhaps one day their paths would meet again, Galina knew the chances were small, but she could only worry for her sister.

Now the bars of her cell squeaked open, objecting as she was sure most of the community was, to her release. Guards led her down the hall in silence, Galina didn’t break it. Finally she was shown to a room where her solicitor was. Probably more paperwork Galina reasoned as she took the seat, the guards hadn’t shackled her this time, so she was inclined to think this a good sign.

Not sure what time of day it was she inclined her head in a soft bow with a quiet, “Good day.

[Image: xKclfq.png]
an amazing bee work of art
Galina was innocent and Galina was released, and August had accomplished exactly what Lyra needed of him. It had been the right thing. An innocent woman was free. Of course, he was a little more discouraged with Ministerial process, his reputation was a little bit more dinged - but he did not regret it. Galina deserved to be free.

August was sitting with the release paperwork in a Ministry interrogation room when she arrived. "Good day, Galina," August said easily.

"You just need to sign these," he said, "And we'll go over the terms of your release."

"Of course." Galina agreed, gracefully reaching toward the papers he had placed before her. She still didn't like that she had to give the Ministry more information on herself then they had already gleaned, but it couldn't be helped in this circumstance. She'd rather her freedom then to die in a cell for not signing a paper. Her script flowed across the page in the graceful loops and curves of a hand that had been taught to her from a very young age as it formed the single word that would identify her in the Ministry's eyes - Galina.

When the papers were done she looked up at Mr. Echelon-Arnost, inclining her head for him to continue.

"Thank you," August said. He signed the papers himself, above the line with his name printed on it. They were generous terms, although he did not doubt that they would chafe on the vampire's freedoms. He did what he could.

"You are expected to use the Ministry's blood banks," August said, "You are now registered with them as a vampire, as you know. It is likely that they may want to speak to you if something happens around the Forbidden Forest. I do not recommend leaving the country if you plan on returning soon; I also advise that you avoid muggle areas as much as possible."

He paused, glanced up at her. "Does this all make sense so far?" he asked. Despite all his time invested here, he was no better at reading Galina than he had been when they started; too much of August's involvement in this was bound up in his feelings for Lyra.

It chafed to have to be dependent on someone for a food source, but Galina had reasoned that what the Ministry didn't know wouldn't hurt them. To supplement her food on the side... perhaps it would become a consolation in time. The further restrictions were to be expected. She should leave, but she had to know what had happened in the caverns, had to see through the plans she had dreamed up. What kind of life was she living if she was already moving around.

Torn from her thoughts by his next question she nodded nonplussed. "Certainly." She stated placidly.

Right. He cleared his throat, carried on. "The papers acknowledge your innocence," August continued, "But little else. And that should more or less cover it."

Little else. She had expected that but it was still a blow. All her careful years of avoiding detection of trying to build a life and now it lay (again) in a smoking ruin.

"Thank you for your help Mr. Echelon-Arnost. I will not claim to understand your reasoning, but I do appreciate it." Even if she had been less than helpful for most of the year. "I suppose you shall be expecting compensation?" Nothing in life came with out a cost. Not immortality nor legal advice.

"No," August said, "I meant it when I said my services in this case were free of charge."

There was nothing Galina had that he was interested in.

Galina eyed the man speculatively. Even in her past life nothing ever came without a cost. Not necessarily a monetary cost, but a cost none the less. Some hidden agenda was at play then.

"Nothing is every really free " Galina found herself telling the man, perhaps because of his youth or perhaps because it had been so long since she had really spoken to anyone.

"Well, this is," August said, "Are you ready to go?"

For a moment Galina’s eyes fixed on the solicitor's, searching them for his actual price, but she did not push it. “Thank you, Mr. Echelon-Arnost.” She said instead.

She was more than ready to leave, she had been ready from the moment the auror’s had sprung their trap, but at last she had her freedom. A freedom she knew she should use to run as far away from this world as possible, but she wouldn’t. There was a dream that had lingered and solidified as she wasted away in here, a dream that was worth putting her life at risk for, a dream that she couldn’t run away from. “I am.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Reuben Crouch
January 10, 2021 – 7:07 PM
View a Printable Version