Updates
Welcome to Charming
Welcome to Charming, the year is now 1894. It’s time to join us and immerse yourself in scandal and drama interlaced with magic both light and dark.

Where will you fall?

Featured Stamp

Add it to your collection...

Did You Know?
Queen Victoria was known for putting jackets and dresses on her pups, causing clothing for dogs to become so popular that fashion houses for just dog clothes started popping up all over Paris. — Fox
It would be easy to assume that Evangeline came to the Lady Morgana only to pick fights. That wasn't true at all. They also had very good biscuits.
Check Your Privilege

Issue #220 - A Seer's Take On The Upcoming Decade

Get Featured in Witch Weekly! | Submit an article!
PMs on this account will not be checked.
Please contact a member of the Wench team for more information:
MJ | Lynn | Olive | Kit | Dante

Everyone has heard of the returned-from-the-dead explorer, J. Alfred Darrow, but what do you know about his (decidedly less sensational) older brother? 5 Facts About Evander Darrow
1. There are rumors that at Hogwarts, he once studied through a fire in the library.
According to former classmates, Evander Darrow was keen on studying, and was once so absorbed in a bit of arthimancy homework that he failed to notice the bookshelf behind him caught fire, isolating him from the rest of the school for nearly twenty minutes while school staff worked to contain the magical blaze.

2. His boggart is being fired from the Ministry.
A passerby in Diagon Alley oversaw him dealing with a boggart with a young lady last month, which took the form of newspapers bearing the headline of 'Evander Darrow Fired!' and similar things. Talk about being dedicated to his work...

Evander Darrow
3. Mr. Darrow's father, Barclay Darrow, was eaten by a dragon in 1879.
Since Barclay Darrow did not, in fact, work closely with dragons as a matter of course, it is unclear what lead him to this particular fate. Our reporters were not able to speak with anyone who could offer any insight into this, but did find several former classmates of Mr. Barclay Darrow who said it was "not terribly out of character for him."

4. He once stole several books from Flourish & Blotts — though, as it turns out, accidentally.
Evander Darrow quite nearly came to violence with a shopkeep when he walked out of the store without having given the clerk any money. The issue was resolved in the moment, and later revealed to be part of a larger incidence of leprechaun gold affecting the local economy, but still.

5. He has never been kissed — not even under mistletoe!
A very reputable source told us Evander Darrow had confessed as much to her during a society event earlier this year. How the subject came up, we dare not speculate, but Evander Darrow is apparently (as yet) uninitiated in the ways of love!

10 Ways To Look Great in Distress
Being a lady, young or old, is a hazardous affair — and one must admit that even the best of us cannot avoid every mishap that barrels our way. A successful damsel will, however, always strive to make a pretty mess. Behold Witch Weekly's ten commandments to looking good, no matter what:

1. Set the scene. To best prepare for trouble, one must be aware of one's surroundings. There is hardly any use getting into a scrape if no one is there to see it, and to save you from it. Make sure there is a handsome gentleman within earshot.

2. Don't scream. One ought not burst the eardrums of anyone within earshot with inhumanly shrieking if one can help it. Make sure to first take a deep breath, remain ladylike, and utter a demure cry for "help" or, even better, a gentle "Excuse me!" We are ladies, not banshees.

3. Prepare for the worst. If you are quite resolved to drown if you must, a little fall in the lake will not faze you. Think about breaking one's leg, and a little sprain will not pain you. If every gentleman about fails in his duty and does not come to rescue you, think of the charming epitaph you will be able to show off on your tombstone.

4. Blush elegantly. A calm, little rosy flush to one's cheeks makes one look perfectly delectable, but beware of getting in a tizzy and going a blotchy red all over. One should not like to look like spilled tomato soup.

5. Fix your hair. Bonnet flown off? Locks getting loosed? The horror of a hairpiece accidentally becoming unpinned? Take a moment to ensure you are still neatly all in place and put together. A messy-haired monster will positively frighten a man off.

6. Carry flowers. Ophelia had the right idea. Put a posy in your pockets, carry fresh flowers in your hands, and then when and wherever you trip and fall you'll be surrounded by blossoms. They'll be clamouring to paint you.

7. Flash an ankle. But no more than that! A dainty ankle may leave a man wanting more, but a torn dress or too much cleavage on display will mark you out as a real hussy.

8. Be modest. Do not strike up an ungrateful fuss for being helped. Display your manners and elegance with a profound offer of thanks, and assure your rescuer that this is entirely unusual for you, lest they assume you are always so high maintenance.

9. Have a favour to give. Take a note from medieval high courtly romance, and give your saviour a physical token of your thanks, something sweet-smelling or prettily stitched to remember you by in a more positive light. An easy way to cultivating a correspondence!

10. Above all, don't be too capable. What will you gain from always getting yourself out of trouble? Not a knight in shining armour at your beck and call, that's for sure.

"Chivalry", by Frank Dicsee, 1885. All the best heroines have known how to be an alluring damsel. Think of Andromeda chained to the rock, and Rapunzel in her tower!

"Ophelia", by John Everett Millais, 1851-2. The Pre-Raphelites knew how to paint a tragic heroine looking exceedingly natural and romantic. Take inspiration from them!

The following 1 user Likes Witch Weekly's post:
   Aldous Crouch

A Seer's Take On The Upcoming Decade
While some people are skeptical about a seer's abilities to accurately predict the future, we here at Witch Weekly see no problem in soliciting the divine powers for guidance! Whether you believe in their powers or not is up to you, but you can't deny that there's entertainment to be found in reading about the possibilities the future brings! Witch Weekly had the chance to speak with a seer who claimed to be having visions about the next decade, and we were more the delighted with what we found!

A New World Leader Will Rise
She couldn't clarify what effect the "new world leader" will have on Britain or its magical community—only that the leader would bring great political change and developments in spell-work. We'll be keeping an eye on all the incoming and graduating Hogwarts students in the next few years; maybe your child will be the next world leader!

The Galleon will be replaced with a more efficient currency.
She also said that Goblins as a species would die off, which seems almost as improbable as this prediction. We can hardly imagine the magical world giving up their precious coins, even if the Ministry backed a new form of currency. There are whole disciplines dedicated to studying, verifying the authenticity of, and enchanting galleons!
We'll have a new Minister!
Whether this person is also the "New World Leader" has yet to be seen, but we can say with certainty that this is a prediction that's likely to come true given the recent Ministers' term lengths.

A major disease will be cured
Muggle medicine is advancing at an alarming rate, and our seer predicts that the magical world will mirror the muggle world in this progress during the upcoming decade! Could we finally see a cure for lycanthropy? Dragon pox? Vampirism?

Bustles will go out of style—forever.
With the fashion scene already beginning to shift away from bustles, we don't think you'd need to be a seer to guess this! However, we doubt that the bustle won't ever return over the next ten, thirty, or even fifty years! It's almost as silly as suggesting that women will begin to wear suit jackets!

A powerful community member will die.
We find ourselves wondering whether this community member has real, quantifiable power or mere influence like the late Mrs. Olivia Pendergast. Either way, our community will certainly be worse off for it!

Ask Harmony Aidsworth
Dear Harmony Aidsworth,
I have always done my best to be the perfect wife and my husband usually treats me very well. However, I have been wanting to own horses ever since I was a little girl but he says that we could never fit them into Hogsmeade! He is rather firm on me not having horses and refuses to buy a countryside estate where they could fit into our life. I am not sure what to do but have no intention of giving up on my dream of having horses. What should I do?

Sincerely,
Equine Enthusiast

Dear Equine Enthusiast,
Depending on your financial status, there could be other ways to achieve your dream of owning a horse! There are many stables that house your horse for you and take very good care of them. Perhaps you could suggest this to your husband as an alternative. However if there is another reason why he is so dead set against you having horses, perhaps you should dig deeper into his reasons. There could be a deeper reason that he just has not shared with you yet.

Sincerely,
Harmony Aidsworth

Dear Harmony Aidsworth,

I am considered to be an old maid and a spinster and I am quite content with that. I live with my life long friend who was one of my dorm mates in Hogwarts and we lead just as happy a life as anyone else. She was a widow at a young age and has since recovered from her husbands death. However, it has come to my attention that her family thinks me to be a bad influence! They think that I am giving her untoward ideals about womens rights as if she is some impressionable teenager when she is a grown woman that is the same age as me. Not only that but both of our families take pity on us though her reasons are a lot more understandable. I have never regretted not marrying but my family just can't seem to understand that.

Sincerely,
So I'm A Spinster

Dear So I'm A Spinster,
It is quite heartening to hear that you have found contentment within your pitiable situation. Old maids are often said to have the best tempers for many occasions and it does sound to me that you have been purporting this belief. As for your friends family thinking that you are a bad influence, perhaps you should look into your own behaviors to try and discern why they might think that. It could be the very same reasons why you never found a husband so that might be a starting point to figuring out why they are against you residing with your friend.

Sincerely,
Harmony Aidsworth

View a Printable Version