Updates
Welcome to Charming
Welcome to Charming, the year is now 1894. It’s time to join us and immerse yourself in scandal and drama interlaced with magic both light and dark.

Where will you fall?

Featured Stamp

Add it to your collection...

Did You Know?
Queen Victoria was known for putting jackets and dresses on her pups, causing clothing for dogs to become so popular that fashion houses for just dog clothes started popping up all over Paris. — Fox
It would be easy to assume that Evangeline came to the Lady Morgana only to pick fights. That wasn't true at all. They also had very good biscuits.
Check Your Privilege

Open
Can I have some "book protagonists save the world"-ish recommendations?
Hey there! I'm not even sure a topic like this is allowed in here but there we go:

Recently, I've been feeling like a lot of the books I read in which a character saves the world contains a) an outsider who b) has some kind of special characteristic and c) necessarily is written to be well liked or fit in by the end or- whatever

Something else that bothers me is: when the characters are super young but still go to these dangerous missions all by themselves.

I would love to get a few book recs that run away - not necessarily completely, but enough to be fresh - from this. Books like The Magicians (due to rather unlikable, but empathetic, protagonists) and Rangers Apprentice (the main protagonist only goes on missions without an adult by the fifth book) do this very well, hence being among my favourites.

P.S: They don't have to be really saving the world. It could be something dangerous/difficult for itself (think PJ or THG)

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children is a YA novel that completely enchanted me! It's more of a dangerous mission that sort of fits your requirements because the children are literally the only ones capable of "saving the day".

set by MJ <3
Land of Elyon is a good series. Short, but good. The main protagonist is a child, but if she doesn't have adults helping her, she has animals protecting her, so it's not really a 'I can save the world better than adults can' and more of a, 'I stumbled into this, but I'm helping to make a difference' sort of vibe. I don't know if it's what you are looking for, but I like it.

Magic by Elaine!

(September 2, 2019 – 1:37 AM)Holly Scrimgeour Wrote:  Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children is a YA novel that completely enchanted me! It's more of a dangerous mission that sort of fits your requirements because the children are literally the only ones capable of "saving the day".

I've read this book around the time it was published, actually! To be honest, didn't like it much, but not for the reasons up there. <3 Just didn't like the writing in general, though it was a fantastic story! I love the reason behind how only children can save it. Also, thanks!

(September 2, 2019 – 1:39 AM)Acacia Ruskin Wrote:  Land of Elyon is a good series. Short, but good. The main protagonist is a child, but if she doesn't have adults helping her, she has animals protecting her, so it's not really a 'I can save the world better than adults can' and more of a, 'I stumbled into this, but I'm helping to make a difference' sort of vibe. I don't know if it's what you are looking for, but I like it.

Oooooo I'm checking this out!!! I'll let you know. Thanks, dude <3

[Image: WCKsUh0.jpg]
Tamora Pierce has been one of my favourite authors since I was 10 years old, a love that persists as I inch closer and closer to thirty.

YA fantasy set in it's own, medievalesque universe and primarily female protagonists. Depending on the series, you have...
— A common girl who can hear the dead and becomes a member of the city's police equivalent (Provost's Dog trilogy, beginning with Terrier; can be read before or after any of the other books by the author without being spoilery)

— A noble girl (10 in the first book, all grown up in the fourth) disguises herself as her twin brother to become a knight in an era where this is forbidden for girls. Also has magical abilities and at one point gets a talking cat, so that's fun. Starts with "save my friend" in the first book and ends with "save my country" in the last. Books one and three include this world's answer to the Middle East, while book four introduces its equivalent to Vietnam. (Song of the Lioness quartet, beginning with Alanna: The First Adventure; can be read on it's own or chronologically before the series below)

— A draper's son begins studying to become a powerful mage—the same one that features heavily in the Immortals quartet. Set in the equivalent of Egypt/Ancient Rome. (Only the first book, Tempests & Slaughter, has been released so far; can be read at any time, really, since it doesn't give spoilers for the other quartets).

— An orphaned commoner (16 in the first book, or possibly 14?) with a ~connection to animals signs on with a pony seller and eventually learns how to control her wild magic. My favourite book by the author is actually the third in this series, which also includes this world's answer to Egypt! This is also the most ~grand fantasy~ of her series so far since eventually you get dragons. (Immortals quartet, beginning with Wild Magic).

— A noble girl (10 in the first book, grown up in the fourth) does NOT disguise herself as a boy to become a knight because Alanna already broke that glass ceiling, but is still the first such female to enter training openly and faces discrimination for that. She has NO magical powers and NO talking cat, and spent her early years in the world's equivalent of Japan (who send a delegation in book 3). The first TP book I read was the second in this series. (Protector of the Small quartet, beginning with First Test)

— The daughter of Alanna the Lioness and the king's spymaster (or second in command; can't remember what's up with Myles by this point) is kidnapped by slavers and taken to this universe's answer to Indonesia on the cusp of a civil war. (Trickster duology, beginning with Trickster's Choice).

She's also released a collection of short stories and a spy's guide in the same universe.

She also writes in the Circle universe, focusing on four young mages from differing backgrounds, three male and one female. The universe consists of two quartets (when the mages are 11? and late teens?, respectively) and 3+ stand alone novels built into the chronology.

Also I was so excited to meet TP two years ago that I cried when I hugged her, so there's that.

The following 2 users Like Soo-Jin Proudfoot's post:
   Billie Farrow, Millie Potts
The Wayward Children series by Seanan McGuire. They're all novellas about teenagers who are dumped back into the 'real world' after living in fantasy worlds they tumbled into. Some of them are kind of "save the world" or "save the small world of people I live with" or "save my family." So I'm not sure it's quite what you're looking for, but it definitely has a unique set of teenage protagonists who are more well equipped to do some actual saving.

The following 1 user Likes Billie Farrow's post:
   Soo-Jin Proudfoot

[Image: gmun6e3.png]

MJ, yet again working her magic.  <3 <3 Thank you
(September 14, 2019 – 1:39 PM)Billie Farrow Wrote:  The Wayward Children series by Seanan McGuire.  They're all novellas about teenagers who are dumped back into the 'real world' after living in fantasy worlds they tumbled into.  Some of them are kind of "save the world" or "save the small world of people I live with" or "save my family." So I'm not sure it's quite what you're looking for, but it definitely has a unique set of teenage protagonists who are more well equipped to do some actual saving.

I have never heard of these but now want to read them.

The following 1 user Likes Soo-Jin Proudfoot's post:
   Billie Farrow
The Mapmakers Trilogy by S.E. Grove. This is more of a save the world type book! It's based in an world that had been much like our own until something called "The Great Disruption" threw all of the continents into different time periods. The main characters are children, but the girl has cartologer skills that kind of set her apart and give her a believable reason to be the one saving the world.

[Image: gmun6e3.png]

MJ, yet again working her magic.  <3 <3 Thank you

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Zenobia Zabini
May 2, 2021 – 6:42 AM
View a Printable Version