Updates
Welcome to Charming
Welcome to Charming, the year is now 1894. It’s time to join us and immerse yourself in scandal and drama interlaced with magic both light and dark.

Where will you fall?

Featured Stamp

Add it to your collection...

Did You Know?
Queen Victoria was known for putting jackets and dresses on her pups, causing clothing for dogs to become so popular that fashion houses for just dog clothes started popping up all over Paris. — Fox
It would be easy to assume that Evangeline came to the Lady Morgana only to pick fights. That wasn't true at all. They also had very good biscuits.
Check Your Privilege

See Inside
what can I say? this house is falling apart
Ford shifted his weight. He could see Mama had her hand to her mouth, probably shocked that he had said anything about it. She wouldn't have been surprised by the fact of it; she wasn't stupid, just aggressively optimistic when there was no longer any reason to be.

"This season is going to be a bad one," he said in the same tone. After a beat, he added with a wistful undercurrent, "If I could take all of us out of it, I would."

Set by Lady!
His words were ominous but offered no further explanation. All it did is was further aggravate her nerves, which were already frail and wounded to begin with. Still, she couldn't find the will to press further. Whatever point he was trying to make, it wasn't good, and she wasn't sure she had another cry in her. She'd more likely collapse right there on the parlor floor.

The swell of anger retreated in the silence between them, leaving her to try to regain her senses. "What if we took a break?" she suggested weakly. If she couldn't fight him, maybe she could reason with him? Get him to see an alternative? "Took off this season. I could — I don't know, get a different sort of job, if that's what you want from me. Something less... permanent. Work at a shop, maybe. I have friends from Hogwarts who work on High Street." A governess was a more respectable and probably a better-paying alternative, but she hated how it looked. Girls who worked at shops could find husbands. Governesses usually did not.

It took everything Ford had not to audibly grind his teeth at her response. If he had needed any further convincing that Grace's expectations of life were entirely divorced from reality, this could serve as his evidence. She wanted to go work as a shop girl, because that was less permanent? There was no way Ford would allow one of his sisters to take a job in a shop, much less encourage them to. It was beneath them, socially. It would send a message. If Grace got a job in a shop they'd might as well just hang up a banner across the front of the Bartonburg house advertising to the neighborhood that they were on the brink of poverty; there was no reason at all for someone to take a job as a shop girl unless they were in a situation where a handful of sickles a week might make the difference. It would do far more harm than good — what on earth was she thinking?

Of course, sending her to be a governess sent a message, too — but a more palatable one, as far as Ford was concerned. If people thought his sister had taken up work because she was hopeless as a debutante, that didn't necessarily kill Clementine's chances of ever marrying — not like the public declaration of poverty would if she took a shop job. But he couldn't point that out, not when he was trying to get her to calm down — and he had no desire to prolong the argument at this point, full stop. So instead of declining he said in a tone of resignation, as though she had made a good point and won the debate, "We can talk about it."

There was no chance at all he was going to let her work in a shop, but punting the conversation at least gave him time to come up with a graceful way to insist upon it. He hadn't been expecting things to veer that direction now... but then, he also hadn't been expecting to have this conversation with her at all right now. This was supposed to be the moment he brought it up to Mama — this was supposed to have been... not easier, never easy with Mama, but at least challenging in a very different way.

Set by Lady!

View a Printable Version