Updates
Welcome to Charming
Welcome to Charming, the year is now 1894. It’s time to join us and immerse yourself in scandal and drama interlaced with magic both light and dark.

Where will you fall?

Featured Stamp

Add it to your collection...

Did You Know?
Queen Victoria was known for putting jackets and dresses on her pups, causing clothing for dogs to become so popular that fashion houses for just dog clothes started popping up all over Paris. — Fox
It would be easy to assume that Evangeline came to the Lady Morgana only to pick fights. That wasn't true at all. They also had very good biscuits.
Check Your Privilege

Open
At Their Very Best | Julia's Networking
writing with me
GMT | Contact: Discord/PM
Since I'm new here, I thought I would give you a quick impression of how I tend to write. I prefer long posts (like 300+ words) but wouldn't be opposed to trying some shorter postings. I absolutely love to plot, especially long, ongoing plots with threads that follow on from one another and can reference each other with plenty of chaos and/or drama and/or angst. Not everything has to be completely planned out in advance, a general direction is good but often it's just fun to let the plot develop organically.

I have no problem with heavy/mature topics - murder, sex, drugs are all ok as long as they make sense in the overall scenario. Where it's appropriate, I'm happy for my characters to be steered but unless it's very minor things, I would like to discuss it ahead of time.
In terms of activity levels, I do work full-time, so the majority of my postings will probably be happening during evening time (GMT) and weekends but I'm usually around on Discord to chat and plot the rest of the day anyway.
LOOKING FORWARD TO PLOTTING AND WRITING WITH YOU ALL!

Jean-Baptiste Labouchère
41| Middle-Class | Beauxbaton, Class of '69 |
Legilimens for Hire | Reputation: 4
[Image: 4bd32ac72d7bc13990464bf3d213fae7143ecd61.gif]

Generally, Baptiste thinks he's hot shit but I think most people he meets will find him odd - unsettlingly odd, rather than cute-odd. He tries to make a big entrance, he's confident and dresses well but when people start to talk behind his back, he will absolutely take it personal.

His magical prowess is merely average, the only true skill he possesses is in Legilimency which - through blackmail and manipulation - helped him climb the ranks of the French Ministry of Magic. They eventually got rid of him by making him the International liaison in the British Ministry. When Baps tried to pull the same blackmail there, he got promptly kicked out. Now, he makes his money by offering out this particular talent to anyone who needs a secret extracted and can afford to pay him.

There's a few ways your characters might know Baps - note, he's only been in England for close to two years now:
1. They've seen him around in Hogsmeade where he lives and frequents the bars, usually drinking one too many.
2. They know him from his brief but tumultuous time at the Ministry - the reason for his termination was mostly hushed up but I'm sure there are plenty of rumours anyway.
3. They have direct dealings with him now - maybe they are needing some advice or help around Legilimency. Baps can also help with other services such as extracting and altering memories.
4. I'm sure there are plenty more and I'm always happy to brainstorm, these are just some initial ideas.

Mattheo Flint
33| UCPB | Slytherin, Class of '77 |
Head of Administration, Flint Institute | Reputation: 9
[Image: 2g9zH6Y.gif]

First impressions of Mattheo is that he's a bit of a snob - and he definitely is. He frivolously spends his money on luxuries and enjoys all the amenities that come with being born into the Upper Class. He enjoys music and art and practically sulks any minute he has to spend strapped behind his desk at the Institute. Luckily, his job there is, as far as Mattheo is concerned, for presentation purposes only, and he's not really sure what he's meant to be doing as the Head of Administration.

Mattheo grew up with the understanding that purebloods are generally superior, and even in his adult life has never questioned this stance. That's not to say that the right person couldn't change his mind or that he won't speak to "lesser" bloods but it will taint Mattheo's view of the other person. He is a member of the Knights of Walpurgis but only to appease his father.

Mattheo is a skilled musician and can completely lose himself in paintings and symphonies. He's developed a (perhaps scandalous) fascination with Muggle-crafted instruments and art. He doesn't exactly widely announce it but he wouldn't deny it either.

Ways your characters might know Mattheo:
1. Upper class - They all know each other somehow, right? Mattheo spent his 20s in and out of the country and has so far successfully escaped any more serious advances (plus, he reckons he's got nothing to worry about while Thaddeus is still unmarried). Theoretically hurlable for the right plots.
2. The Flint Institute - Mattheo is Head of Administration there but he rarely shows his face. Perhaps your character works or studies there or wants to become a part of the Institute. Watch Mattheo die a little as he has to deal with forms and paperwork.
3. Hogwarts/The past - Mattheo didn't have many friends but his name meant that he was well-known around the school and mostly left in peace. That being said, I'd love to explore the snobby, stuck-up teenaged Mattheo. There was also someone he was close to in school who showed him the Room of Requirements.
4. Travels - Throughout his 20s, Mattheo frequented many of the Mediterranean countries, enjoying anything and everything they had to offer. Might be that they met each other there first. Or it could have been someone Mattheo already knew from back home.
5. Music - Mattheo loves all things music and, just as much, loves to hear himself talk about it. Perhaps someone has the pleasure(?) of sitting next to him at an Opera performance or they'll make the grave error to ask him what he's doing as he's transcribing a piece of music.

The following 2 users Like Jean-Baptiste Labouchère's post:
   Greta Gillenwater, Ida Chang

[Image: 75wWhcB.png]
STOP. 1975 TOUR TITLE FOR YOUR NETWORKING THREAD. CAN WE BE BESTIES?

Sorry, not to come on too strong, but I use Matty Healy's face for a character (J. Alfred Darrow) and I just saw them in Seattle and it was such a good concert and also I love your character concept zomg.

SO anyway, networking. I have a few unscrupulous characters but none that would have had need of his services so far. The one that seems most likely to solicit is Reuben Crouch (inactive but coming back soon) whose brother also runs the Dept of International Cooperation, so that's a fun tie also.

In terms of general society, Ozymandias Dempsey is my closest in age and social position and everything. I could maybe see him also wanting Baptiste's services but only if other plotlines develop in a pretty specific way, so stay tuned.

Xavier Davies and Ford here both would have been at the Ministry while he was - Xav wouldn't care about rumors at all because he's just sort of a weirdo himself. Ford would definitely care and avoid him where possible, just in case he's a murderer or something.

♡ Set by Lady ♡

Murdock Greyback avoids him for obvious reasons

I DEFINITELY want him and Rose Hart to meet, she would encourage his worst behaviours. She also boned Ozymandias Dempsey on a trip to Italy, and is sharing lady kisses with the ballerina that he is currently boning. So unpick that knot!

Isis Silverthorne - has secrets but they are fairly low grade - she is a squib. She's flirtatious but not the most male savvy, so some terrible plots there for her.

I also have Ermengarde Delacour - who is formerly lived in France

[Image: 8nCLLpg.png]
Bee's made a beautiful thing!
(January 5, 2023 – 10:10 PM)Fortitude Greengrass Wrote:  STOP. 1975 TOUR TITLE FOR YOUR NETWORKING THREAD. CAN WE BE BESTIES?

Sorry, not to come on too strong, but I use Matty Healy's face for a character (J. Alfred Darrow) and I just saw them in Seattle and it was such a good concert and also I love your character concept zomg.

SO anyway, networking. I have a few unscrupulous characters but none that would have had need of his services so far. The one that seems most likely to solicit is Reuben Crouch (inactive but coming back soon) whose brother also runs the Dept of International Cooperation, so that's a fun tie also.

In terms of general society, Ozymandias Dempsey is my closest in age and social position and everything. I could maybe see him also wanting Baptiste's services but only if other plotlines develop in a pretty specific way, so stay tuned.

Xavier Davies and Ford here both would have been at the Ministry while he was - Xav wouldn't care about rumors at all because he's just sort of a weirdo himself. Ford would definitely care and avoid him where possible, just in case he's a murderer or something.

Hahaha YES ABSOLUTELY! It's alright, I've fallen down a 1975-shaped hole and now I'm having major regrets that I didn't buy concert tickets for Glasgow later this month. SO cool you got to see them live <3

ANYWAY, what were we talking about?

I'm loving Ozy's vibe. Baps will see him as a bit of fun when everyone about him is stern and dull. Theoretically, I can see Baps be a total enabler for his strange choices, as long as they're not at his expense. Only depends if Oz likes him, too. He might find him off-putting or annoying which could be interesting, too.

For Ford - if it becomes clear to Baptiste that he's in any way scared or wants to avoid him, Baps will 100% lean into that and poke and prod him about it. He can get quite dramatic when he wants to haha.

Also would love to see what we can do with your Crouch boy when he's back.

(January 5, 2023 – 10:41 PM)Nephele Lestrange Wrote:  

Murdock Greyback avoids him for obvious reasons

I DEFINITELY want him and Rose Hart to meet, she would encourage his worst behaviours. She also boned Ozymandias Dempsey on a trip to Italy, and is sharing lady kisses with the ballerina that he is currently boning. So unpick that knot!

Isis Silverthorne - has secrets but they are fairly low grade - she is a squib. She's flirtatious but not the most male savvy, so some terrible plots there for her.

Murdock - Baps might avoid him, too, tbh. I think he prefers to stay away from Law Enforcement, he's not cocky enough look for trouble with him. Unless he gets himself into trouble first, of course.

Yes, him and Rose seem like a great team - we can definitely discuss some ideas of how they work with one another more.

Isis - well, Baptiste is more gay than not, depending on his mood and alcohol level the response to flirtations will vary but it will most likely be awkward hehe. He wouldn't necessarily go poking around in people's minds where their memories don't actually benefit him, so I think she'll be safe for now.

Ugh. I love your character concept <3 Here's my top 3 if any are of interest~

1. Cassian Valenduris might know him. He's been at the Ministry for awhile, depending on the year the incident happened he might know all about it or heard about it after. He had his own incident... but he's also a goldenboy with a lot of prestige, and had an Obliviator help get him out of trouble at the time. So his outcome's a bit opposite from what happened to Baps, incident made him a hero. He tries to play on the straight and narrow but. He's not pfft

2. Diana Selwyn is close to his age, total francophile, married well in French magical society (other ministry fellow from France, Timoleon Maxime, is her nephew). I think they could've definitely met at society parties and such back in the day? But then she disappeared ~14 years ago and only recently turned up again, apparently not dead. I could see them being fun black sheep at parties

3. Highly likely Baps may run into Thomas Harvey -- who bartends, also can be found drinking too much, and is generally quick to talk with anyone he finds interesting. He has a bit of a hustle going as a private investigator so we could always make something up for them to work on together/be at odds about, etc

Other bits and bobs:
Sophia Voss is a hot mess atm. But she is the ballerina mentioned above :')
Ida Chang is a bit young and frankly might be scared of him? She dislikes Legilimens and Frenchmen, thank Maxime for that one.
@"Odessa Sidonia" I have not apped yet but she's going to be evil as shit and would absolutely pay Baps to help with her schemes when the time comes. Smile

[Image: IDA-SIG-STEFMIX.png]
stefanie made this beautiful set <3
Hi Julia! Welcome.

I have Timoleon Maxime who works for the DMLE, but he definitely has a second agenda and is all around jerk. He hails from France (and would love that he went to Beauxbaton because he thinks Hogwarts is a far inferior education institute.) Anyhow, his life goal is to build a dynasty for the Maxime name and crush anyone who gets in his way, and really, he would love to have someone like Baps in his back pocket.

Clifford Hillicker is quite a bit younger, but he likes to frequent bars, get drunk and/or steal things from people.

[Image: hcVkGp.png]
Thank you Stef for this beauty<3
Well, isn't this fun!

I don't have tooo much, but Rhys Gallagher is the local chief constable, so if he's getting drunk and being annoying, he probably has met and likely annoyed Rhys, who is about as straight-laced as they come haha.

My ministry crew includes Eugene Scamander, Jesse Hatchitt and Harvey Beauregard, the first two would have probably overlapped, but Harvey is new to the Magical Games and Sports dept. They're all quite a bit younger and might steer clear, but there they are!

Angie Swan is my last connection and possibly my best, she is a cursebreaker for Gringotts and hands down my most magically proficient. She is capable in both legilimency and occlumency, moreso the latter as she Deals in Secrets and Treasure and therefore doesn't need people doing the same to her brain.

Oh, and there's Quincey Honeyduke, because if you live in Hogsmeade, you probably at least know OF him too XD

[Image: Daff-Sig-Spring24.png]
Oh, so much to respond to - ok, here we go! If any of this sounds interesting, just let me know and I'd love to plan something.

(January 6, 2023 – 12:09 AM)Ida Chang Wrote:  Ugh. I love your character concept <3 Here's my top 3 if any are of interest~

1. Cassian Valenduris might know him. He's been at the Ministry for awhile, depending on the year the incident happened he might know all about it or heard about it after. He had his own incident... but he's also a goldenboy with a lot of prestige, and had an Obliviator help get him out of trouble at the time. So his outcome's a bit opposite from what happened to Baps, incident made him a hero. He tries to play on the straight and narrow but. He's not pfft

2. Diana Selwyn is close to his age, total francophile, married well in French magical society (other ministry fellow from France, Timoleon Maxime, is her nephew). I think they could've definitely met at society parties and such back in the day? But then she disappeared ~14 years ago and only recently turned up again, apparently not dead. I could see them being fun black sheep at parties

3. Highly likely Baps may run into Thomas Harvey -- who bartends, also can be found drinking too much, and is generally quick to talk with anyone he finds interesting. He has a bit of a hustle going as a private investigator so we could always make something up for them to work on together/be at odds about, etc

Other bits and bobs:
Sophia Voss is a hot mess atm. But she is the ballerina mentioned above :')
Ida Chang is a bit young and frankly might be scared of him? She dislikes Legilimens and Frenchmen, thank Maxime for that one.
@"Odessa Sidonia" I have not apped yet but she's going to be evil as shit and would absolutely pay Baps to help with her schemes when the time comes. Smile

thank you <33

Cassian Valenduris - So, Baps' "incident" happened quite recently, like late summer of '91. Is Cas the kind of person that remembers people? If they had a run-in at the Ministry that didn't go so well for whatever reason, Baptiste would definitely recall that, if they ever got talking and bring back old grudges.

Diana Selwyn - omg you've made the Aristocats - I LOVE THAT! If she likes a bit of gossip and scandal, I could see them getting on like a house on fire. Maybe she can use her influence to extend invitations to parties for him and have him there as amusement? He might have gotten invitations in France but now after he got fired in England, most people won't know him or want to avoid him.

Thomas Harvey - yes that's a great fit - perhaps a bit of a rival situation, since they're stealing each others business? Baps is not a fan of team work, but maybe they'll have to work on something together at some point, too. Which could cause more friction :D

also would love to connect with Odessa when she's finished!

(January 6, 2023 – 12:14 AM)Timoleon Maxime Wrote:  Hi Julia! Welcome.

I have Timoleon Maxime who works for the DMLE, but he definitely has a second agenda and is all around jerk. He hails from France (and would love that he went to Beauxbaton because he thinks Hogwarts is a far inferior education institute.) Anyhow, his life goal is to build a dynasty for the Maxime name and crush anyone who gets in his way, and really, he would love to have someone like Baps in his back pocket.

Clifford Hillicker is quite a bit younger, but he likes to frequent bars, get drunk and/or steal things from people.

Hey there!

Timoleon Maxime - yesss, a fellow Frenchman, they can chat away in their native tongue and complain about English food and the weather. Plus, pending Baptiste's relationship with Diana (and also Timoleon's relationship with his aunt), that's maybe how they got talking and scheming. Would love to explore this more and hear how Baps might be of use to him.

Clifford Hillicker - he better not try and steal anything from Baptiste - or maybe he should? I'd be interested to see how he reacts, especially if he's drunk and grumpy.

(January 6, 2023 – 1:35 AM)Daffodil Potts Wrote:  Well, isn't this fun!

I don't have tooo much, but Rhys Gallagher is the local chief constable, so if he's getting drunk and being annoying, he probably has met and likely annoyed Rhys, who is about as straight-laced as they come haha.

My ministry crew includes Eugene Scamander, Jesse Hatchitt and Harvey Beauregard, the first two would have probably overlapped, but Harvey is new to the Magical Games and Sports dept. They're all quite a bit younger and might steer clear, but there they are!

Angie Swan is my last connection and possibly my best, she is a cursebreaker for Gringotts and hands down my most magically proficient. She is capable in both legilimency and occlumency, moreso the latter as she Deals in Secrets and Treasure and therefore doesn't need people doing the same to her brain.

Oh, and there's Quincey Honeyduke, because if you live in Hogsmeade, you probably at least know OF him too XD

Hey Bee!

For Rhys Gallagher - I can definitely see Baps having been sent by Rhys after some rowdy drinking or a large loss at the tables. He will probably avoid him during the daytime.

Eugene Scamander, Jesse Hatchitt and Harvey Beauregard - I'm not sure they came across each other much in Baps' time at the Ministry but looks like him and Eugene live close-by one another so they might know each other from there. Though Baptiste probably isn't a very 'neighbourly' person.

Angie Swan - I mean, he probably won't like her as he is a very envious person. And if she's good at his only talent AND THEN SOME, that probably won't sit well with him. But that doesn't mean, it couldn't be fun :D For example, he probably wouldn't love that he got blocked by her Occlumency if he were to try and poke around her head.

Quincey Honeyduke - makes me wonder if Baps has a massive sweet tooth haha, I think that might be fun.

The following 2 users Like Jean-Baptiste Labouchère's post:
   Daffodil Grimstone, Ida Chang

I'm game for anything you want to thread out!

Eugene does have a troublesome set of nifflers if that helps lol

[Image: Daff-Sig-Spring24.png]
Hallo and welcome to Charming!! :D I'm excited to thread with you! I loooove Andrew Scott too, so great choice of PB.

I have for you — 

Some Hogsmeade Folk:

Hestia is most likely to have run into him; she's on the seedier side of Hogsmeade, as well as being a pick-pocket, con artist and overall criminal. She also happens to be the Barkeep at the Hogs Head, so I think it's likely they may have some sort of established rapport?

Irene Crawley is on the better side of Hogsmeade. She works in London at the National Gallery in the Magical Portrait Section, and can usually be seen running around Hogsmeade from appointment to appointment with paint supplies and a large canvas.

Malice Wakefield is my newest bby! She's younger but she's a reporter for the DP, so it's likely she may have gotten her nose in a few things of his, and is DEF available for some plotting. Interesting enough — she had her memory altered when she was younger before she was abandoned. I left it kind of vague, but did imply that the ministry worker who modified her memory was shady, so perhaps it could have been someone Baptiste knows? -eyes- If not, she's an investigative type of girl who won't stop sticking her nose where it may not belong, so I could also see her wanting to save up and hire Baptiste to help her figure out who her birth parents/family are.

Other People:

Agrimony Macnair is also most likely to have connections with him. He also deals on the seedier side of things, and is an inventor, apothecary owner that he does his dealings out of. He's an accomplished Occlumens, and is learning Legilimency, so I could see their interactions being...interesting >D

@"Caltheus Graves" has a more international past, so I could also potentially see some ties there!

Other Ministry folks: Benedict Sterling, Auror and Faustus Prewett is Head Auror!

I do have more peeps but these are the likely ones that Baptiste might have a connection with. Feel free to take or leave whichever ones suit your fancy! <3

[Image: VNzRTsX.png]
Hey Julia! Oh you're in a good place for chaos/drama/angst, we loooove those here. xD

Yassine Bensouda was a few years below him but also went to Beauxbatons! Originates from Morocco, lived in France for a while as well, and moved here in summer 1890 after the quidditch world cup. He's UC but privately happy to associate with anyone, so wouldn't care about Baps' reputation or the rumours – he doesn't think he's got anything to hide, personally, so would prod him about it in fun but also probably kinda enjoy his company? Also likes gambling etc.

At the Ministry: Trystan Selwyn has a publicly-acknowledged bastard, a history of scandalous affairs, and a bunch more secret bastards (some of whom were raised in France actually!) so technically was blackmailable, but also he's a trained Auror so could presumably hold his own against Legilimency. xD

Evander Darrow works in law enforcement and is the driest most boring strait-laced man imaginable, so Baps' slick demeanour (and general Frenchness lol) would have probably rubbed him the wrong way from the start. He would be horrified to bump into anyone even rumoured to have a bad rep in public, lmao, but also very interested in lawbreakers getting their comeuppance.

Kristoffer Lestrange is also at the Ministry, has always been a dick to everybody but might have liked Baps, lol.

Bad rep crowd:
Jay Fox deals in dark items and knows dark people around Knockturn Alley. Also Lady's Hestia!
Ester Montgomery was a middle class married woman before she ran off with a pornographer. Definitely to be seen around bars drinking too much and being disreputable. Will make friends with anyone, she doesn't discriminate. xD
Ishmael is a vampire, also sometimes seen around seedy bars to pick up human bloodbanks, has a general interest in blackmail and illegal favours.

look ANOTHER beautiful bee!set <3
Haha, yesss. I love this. He'd love to be able to talk shit about England and have someone get it. (Most people are offended that he thinks France is better. Who knew? xD) He also hates Diana for a lot of reasons, but I mean, if something good came from her, good. But yes! Down to explore this.

And Cliff 100% would steal from him haha.

If you want to thread anything, let me know! I'm happy to.

[Image: hcVkGp.png]
Thank you Stef for this beauty<3
Mattheo Flint is new here and needs some plots. You can read up on him up top. <3

I'm very happy somebody decided to play another of Thad's family. I play Malcorvus Flint and definitely up for any threads and feel free to hit me up on discord or pm's if you want to work out their past relationship.

The following 1 user Likes Walter Staghart's post:
   Jean-Baptiste Labouchère

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Cassius Lestrange
February 27, 2024 – 9:46 PM
View a Printable Version