Charming
SUMMER READING CHALLENGE: Call for Submissions - Printable Version

+- Charming (https://charmingrp.com)
+-- Forum: OOC - Community (https://charmingrp.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Charmers' Chit Chat (https://charmingrp.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+---- Forum: A Charming Book Club (https://charmingrp.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=30)
+---- Thread: SUMMER READING CHALLENGE: Call for Submissions (/showthread.php?tid=5997)

SUMMER READING CHALLENGE: Call for Submissions - Roslyn Ross - May 19, 2020

What do I want? I want...
Vote for the former, post for the latter :D

RE: SUMMER READING CHALLENGE: Call for Submissions - Elias Grimstone - May 19, 2020

In the YA category!
"Six of Crows" by Leigh Bardugo if people haven't read it! I haven't read any of her other stuff yet but there's also "Shadow and Bone" or "Ninth House".
"The Raven Boys" by Maggie Stiefvater !!!! I would reread.
Don't know anything about "The Gilded Wolves" by Roshani Chokshi but it sounds fun?

And I would read practically any classic but the only things off the top of my head on my to-read list rn are "more Daphne du Maurier", "Mansfield Park" which is the Austen I've forever neglected, and "more Russian stuff".

RE: SUMMER READING CHALLENGE: Call for Submissions - Elladora Black - May 19, 2020

If you like your young adult books with zombies and racial commentary then Dread Nation is the book for you!

more when I can get to my goodreads queue/actual bookshelf

RE: SUMMER READING CHALLENGE: Call for Submissions - Acacia Darlington - May 19, 2020

YA Fantasy:
Fallen by Lauren Kate
The Accident Season by Moïra Fowley-Doyle

"Chick Lit":
To All The Boys I Loved Before by Jenny Han
Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan
The Selection by Kiera Cass - The author also has a one-shot book called The Siren

RE: SUMMER READING CHALLENGE: Call for Submissions - Ophelia Devine - May 19, 2020

I didn't come with suggestions but wanted to let you all know, if your local libraries are closed due to quarantine you can borrow .pdf book scans here: https://openlibrary.org/

RE: SUMMER READING CHALLENGE: Call for Submissions - Billie Farrow - May 19, 2020

I'll probably have more suggestions later, but for now Every Heart a Doorway by Seanan McGuire and really just that whole series. I think that would likely be considered YA Fantasy.

RE: SUMMER READING CHALLENGE: Call for Submissions - Sisse Thompsett - May 19, 2020

So I would totally suggest a few of my favorites here:
A Discovery of Witches (Trilogy) - Phenomenal, features time travel, witches, vampires, and a well developed world.
Russian Winter - A look at a soviet ballerina that I just can not do justice too. I am still reeling from this book and it's been my favorite in the years since I read it.
And because I'm reading it now and the final book is about to drop - A City of Brass. Late 1800s, middle eastern, and features magic and genies.

Category to Suggest - Historical Fiction
And to put in that category, anything by Michelle Moran she is a fantastic historical fiction writing and really draws people in to her stories.

Another Category - Biographies
Best one I've read recently is Georgiana: Duchess of Devonshire. While 100 years before Charming's setting the Ton of British Society is fascinating and she was an amazing woman. Fun fact the movie The Duchess is based on this book.

I'm not doing justice to any of these books, but I will talk passionately about any of them to you because they are all my favorites and I feel everyone should read them. So far everyone I've recommended them to has loved them and has difficulty putting them down.

RE: SUMMER READING CHALLENGE: Call for Submissions - Ursula Black - May 19, 2020

Okay *rolls up sleeves*

Before I start listing stuff I would like to say that if you're going to pay attention to anything I suggest here, please let it be this: The Odd Women by George Gissing. I was recommending it to one of my friends the other evening and it's just reminded me of how tragically underrated and under-read it is.

Why should you read The Odd Women?
Other books:
The Rapture by Claire McGlasson — based on a real life religious cult that was run by women. Historical thriller with a dash of romance.
The Binding by Bridget Collins — historical fantasy. I'm only one chapter in but it seems good so far!
The Eighth Life by Nino Haratischwili — historical fiction. Big chunky book. I haven't read it yet but it sounds really good. It's set at least partially in the early 1900's in Georgia (the country).
The Confessions of Frannie Langton by Sara Collins — historical. really good. Do it.

I hit 'other' on the poll and meant to also hit reinvented classics but it's too late now. My 'other' is historical crime/thriller.

TLDR; Read The Odd Women or you'll never know true satisfaction in life.

P.S. I feel like I'm really ramming this book down everyone's throats but literally no one else will because it's that obscure. My new mission in life is to bring this book into the mainstream so a publisher will pick it up and release a sexy edition for me to buy.

RE: SUMMER READING CHALLENGE: Call for Submissions - Billie Farrow - May 19, 2020

(May 19, 2020 – 2:47 PM)Ophelia Devine Wrote:  I didn't come with suggestions but wanted to let you all know, if your local libraries are closed due to quarantine you can borrow .pdf book scans here: https://openlibrary.org/
Omg the selection is AMAZING. The amount of middle grade and YA fantasy is perfect. Basically all the Diana Wynne Jones and Tamora Pierce and so many others. Thank youuuuuu!

RE: SUMMER READING CHALLENGE: Call for Submissions - Cassius Lestrange - May 20, 2020

Seconding MJ's YA suggestions.

FOR CHICKLIT -
Red White & Royal Blue
The Wedding Date

RE: SUMMER READING CHALLENGE: Call for Submissions - Madeleine Backus - May 20, 2020

Classics:
Law and the Lady - Mostly because I'm thinking of imposing the plot on one of my characters!

Fantasy
Some Terry Pratchett
Mort
Equal Rites
Sourcery
Gaurds, Gaurds

Crime/Nonfiction
I'll be Gone in the Dark - there is a series coming out about it soon
Angel with Blue Faces - Not out yet but def worth a read!

I'm not sre where it fits but it's screepy AF - The Collector Series by Dot Hutchinson

RE: SUMMER READING CHALLENGE: Call for Submissions - Ruby Urquart - May 21, 2020

I'm planning on borrowing Dostoyevsky when the library opens so that's what I suggest. xD Also philosophy-y books in general.