Chat
Cbox
Charming
Did you know?

Victorians could hire 'professional mourners' to attend their loved one's funeral. These people would partake in the procession and were not allowed to speak, just look awfully sad! — Rune

— Submit your own —
WANTED:

"The Prodigal Sister" for Ophelia Devine. Faked deaths, scandal, and schemes!
Kristoffer was going to be great at this, because he was great at everything. Also his memory was greater than everyone else's, because he bet no one else had ever lost their virginity somewhere exotic like Morocco. Hell, he bet no one else had even lost their virginity. Inexperienced losers.

Kristoffer Lestrange in Shining, Shimmering Splendour

— Nominate a quote —
7 Deadly Sins

Complete seven threads, one where your character displays each of the Seven Deadly Sins — Pride, Lust, Sloth, Envy, Weath, Gluttony, and Greed. Each thread should be at least ten posts, with at least three being your own. Character accounts can be combined.

<
>

Don't You Want Me
Private 
December 24, 1887 — Quality Quidditch Supplies
Tessie's experience with quidditch was slight. Apart from attending Hogwarts and taking time out of her day to watch her house play on the teams and accompanying the Ross family to watch quidditch with their children, she had little knowledge (or interest, really) in the game. She was a more feminine woman who enjoyed feminine things—as in, nothing that required getting dirty or ruffling her dress.

However, it wasn't all too difficult for her to feign interest, and that was what she was doing when she was accompanying a friend into the shop to find a broomstick for her friend's little boy. While the said friend was questioning the manager about the best options, Tessie had wandered into a far corner of the shop, her gaze taking in the abundance of supplies (and not to mention the options within those supplies!).

In her attempt to pass through each aisle, she approached (and attempted to pass a gentleman who too was examining the supplies). "Excuse me," she said softly, trying to move past him. However, it soon became clear that she was not moving. Confused, her eyes moved towards the gentleman. "Do... Do you have any idea as to why I'm incapable of moving?" she asked, quite obviously confused and concerned.

Elias Grimstone

set by Nolan
Post Log
He'd dropped by to leave a bottle of wine for the owner, Mr. Gallivan, and a couple of the shop employees he found himself well-acquainted with, for once having all his Christmas affairs in order promptly and hassle-free. That hadn't stopped him browsing the displays, though, however crammed it might be with last-minute shoppers and some overexcited young boys who sounded like they would be willing to cut off their own toes to own some of the Wigtown merchandise.

The more he looked, though, the more Elias was convinced there would absolutely be someone he'd forgotten for Christmas, somewhere. Perhaps a business associate, one of his long-standing clients, someone who'd drop by just after the New Year and whom Elias would have to greet empty-handed. Ha! But not if he bought some backup gifts - just little knick-knacks, some complimentary polish or tail twig tweezers or something. (Now that he thought about it... maybe he'd forgotten more people than he'd thought. Perhaps he'd be best off ordering in bulk.)

Amidst this dilemma, he'd heard an 'excuse me', and took a step back, away from the display so that the person could pass. No one had passed, though; Elias reoriented and found himself facing a young lady who, despite being relatively short and decently dainty, still hadn't slipped past him. Perplexed, he attempted to back up, even further out of her way, only he found himself affixed to the same spot in the aisle, like he'd found himself knee-deep in invisible glue. Well, that was odd.

"I wish I had an answer for you, Miss, but I'm afraid I'm having the same problem," Elias admitted, huffing out a helpless laugh. "Must be punishment for looking at new things right before Christmas," he half-joked, though he tried to pull up his foot again and frowned. If this were a sales tactic to trap customers into buying last-minute purchases, it was by all accounts an odd one.

To even look at his face, the slightly shorter than average Tessie had to crane her neck up to look him in the eyes. It was quite embarrassing; her cheeks were red and he seemed just as perplexed as she did. It didn't help that they were in such close proximity to each other as they stood cluelessly...

"If such a thing were true, I doubt I would have been caught," she chuckled softly, her embarrassment apparent. "I'm only accompanying a friend on her quest to find the perfect present for her son. I don't suppose you know the best broomstick for a small child?" she asked. Small talk was the best way Tessie avoided any awkwardness. She could hold simple conversation with the hopes that simply time would aid them in their hopes of getting un-stuck (as unrealistic as such a notion was!).

set by Nolan
Post Log
Her reply elicited a twofold and rather conflicting response in him. Her first confession was a mild disappointment, although perhaps he should have guessed: she didn't look much like the sort. It didn't bear much promise for idle chit-chat if they wound up stuck here for very long, since Elias had never quite mastered the art of small talk... But also she had asked a startlingly straightforward question, and so he grinned broadly, quite forgetting their current predicament.

"Now that I can answer!" He exclaimed brightly. "Of course I do. I mean, it depends on the age of the child, but -" he - straining against the sticking charm or whatever it was that seemed to be holding them there - still couldn't move, but managed to crane his neck around, peering over at the broomstick displays across the shop in the hopes of pointing one out. He deflated slightly at the impracticality of this attempt, for if he leant that way any further he'd no doubt lose his balance... so he settled for waving his arm vaguely in that direction. "Unfortunately I can't quite show you from here," he said with a sigh, raising his hand to scratch his head in returned bemusement.

The bemusement only grew when something brushed against the back of his hand. Elias flinched, and glanced up. Dangling from the shop ceiling, only a little ways above their heads (well, his head) was a large sprig of a white-berried plant. Well, that... could only be mistletoe. "Ah," he declared, to keep his newfound companion abreast of the discovery. He batted at the leaves with his hand as if he might knock the decoration down from the ceiling; it wavered, but seemed stubbornly attached to its spot, much like his feet.

If this were a sales tactic, it was even more odd.

Nothing—and she meant nothing—could now prevent her face from turning the bright red shade it was. The gentleman she stood next to was a tall on, and in being in such close proximity she had to stretch her neck to the maximum to even look at his face; in doing so, she caught sight of the little pest he was batting at.

"That's mistletoe," she said dumbly, feeling her cheeks grow even hotter. "It - um - must be a silly prank by children. They're always looking - er..." she stuttered. Was kissing the only way they could get out of this? She wasn't repulsed by the gentleman (though his height did seem a little intimidating!), but to be seen would mean judgment—and judgment could cause the termination of her job!

"I don't suppose you're well-versed in the magic used by the Department of Magical Accidents and Catastrophes?" she asked.

set by Nolan
Post Log
Elias nearly missed her hypothesis about how the mistletoe had gotten there, too aware of the sudden crimson flush on her face. Mistletoe was always silly, but usually it was harmless, usually one would be forgiven for not heeding it when bumping into a stranger beneath it. This - this - they were stuck here, though. That... changed things, a little.

A kiss was only a kiss (it had been a while, but he was fairly certain he hadn't forgotten how), but her red face had a flush creeping up the back of his neck towards his ears all the same.

Her question was a momentary distraction, at least, a hope of an alternative. Merlin, he'd never felt worse about disappointing someone. "I... I'm afraid my speciality's charming brooms, and I don't think any strength of cushioning charm will be much use here," Elias offered ruefully, rummaging for his wand to try a general counter charm or two anyway. "You're not a Ministry employee either, I take it?" He guessed; she looked far too pretty to be a Ministry employee. That, and she hadn't leapt to their rescue yet.

Tessie was not a harlot, and to be seen as one an embarrassing prospect. Even though the gentleman was very aware of how stuck they were, she was self-conscious about coming off as too eager to kiss him, even if it was merely to escape their predicament. He seemed sincere, but not very eager; perhaps he didn't think she was pretty enough to be kissing. She wouldn't be surprised — he was handsome himself.

"Oh. N-No, I don't work there either," she offered shyly, averting her gaze from his for a moment. Was she supposed just ask him to kiss here? Was that how this was supposed to work? Or would he ask her permission? Even worse: would he make them wait for Ministry assistance so she'd suffer more embarrassment?

"You... Do you want to, um...?" She released a nervous, almost uncomfortable giggle. The concept of kissing any man in her current situation, let alone a stranger, was such a foreign one indeed!

set by Nolan
Post Log