Cbox
Chat
Did you know?

Fern-hunting parties became popular, allowing young women to get outside in a seemingly innocuous pursuit with less rigid oversight and chaperoning than they saw in parlors and drawing rooms. They may have even had the occasional romantic meetup with a similarly fern-impassioned beau. — Bree

— Submit your own —
WANTED:

Bunny Devon for Anne Devon. My fair lady of the night
Separating was also not a great idea, though they weren't doing great at staying together anyway. If she were to volunteer to be the human sacrifice.. well... Hogsmeade had plenty of debutantes anyway...

Barnabas Skeeter in CYOA: Group D

— Nominate a quote —
Well-Traveled

Complete threads set in ten different forum locations. Threads must have at least ten posts, and three must be your own. Character accounts cannot be combined.

<
>

Arithmancy Aggravation
Private 
April 10th, 1888 — Hufflepuff Common Room

The worst part of Arithmancy was the homework. She found herself, each evening, taking up a table in the Hufflepuff common room with her book open, two seperate pieces of parchment spread before her, an open ink-bottle at her side and quill in hand. The sheet of parchment to her left was covered in sporadic writing, clearly where she was working out the project's specifics, while the right-hand sheet was neat and untouched.

And Mozelle was muttering to herself in Spanish, murmuring quiet words of frustration at the subject. Coursework was easy enough to endure...homework, on the other hand, was a nightmare all its own. So here she sat, scrawling complexities before she began working out the precise nature of the essay, muttering to herself.

Luce Faucher-De Loncrey

Lightning strikes with my words, searing where they land...
[Image: Qu9XfLR.jpg]
Electives: Arithmancy, Music
Postlog | Networking

Hogwarts still felt so new to Luce. Even with all of the months she had spent there. Second year would be easier, she just knew it. Then she would know her fellow students a bit better, and she would be at least a bit familiar with the classes. Homework was not fun. Though some of it was easy, she did start to get tired after a long time of looking at the seemingly endless pages of the books.

It was even harder for the young Hufflepuff, being that it was in a language that she did not like very well. Preferring her natural French over English, it became quite tedious to have to use English as often as she did. But when she heard a language that she was not as familiar with, she perked up a little. Looking up from her homework, she smiled lightly at the older Hufflepuff that was speaking in a language that wasn't English. Even this language sounded better to Luce.

Elaine made pretties
[Image: pLgj2Y.jpg]
Mozelle knew well the feeling of being watched. It was a constant companion of hers, though certainly not a friend. It took a moment to register, though, that it was indeed someone looking directly at her, rather than one of those polite I'm-not-really-staring gazes just past her shoulder or wherever when they were really staring straight at her. Propriety was often a nightmare that Mozelle found to be her least favorite thing; but she endured it.

Lifting her head to turn and look at the blonde first year, Mozelle gave a tiny smile. "Hello," she greeted. She knew the other girl - a fellow foreign-blooded Hufflepuff. French, if Mozelle remembered properly. "Is there something I could assist you with?" It is always better to be helpful, Mozelle's mother always said. It did not befit a young lady to be rude.

Postlog | Networking

Not having meant to make the other girl uncomfortable, the moment she realized that she probably had, she looked away quickly. How embarrassing. She hadn’t wanted to ack improper.

Looking back when she was spoken to, she smiled slightly. “Hello.” She responded. She hadn’t wanted anything. All she wanted was to see who was speaking in a better language than English. “No, I just like the language you were speaking.” She responded.

Elaine made pretties
Mozelle nodded gently, shifting in her seat as she set aside her quill. Homework could wait a moment; she enjoyed conversation, after all. And while she had felt uncomfortable for a moment, when she saw the younger student, she was put more at ease. Yes, OWLs approached quickly, but Mozelle wasn't incredibly stressed.

She grinned, though, when Luce confessed her precise reasons. "I was speaking Spanish," she said politely, "my father's native tongue. I grew up speaking in three languages, but Spanish has always been my personal favorite. It's sad that not many speak it here, but I suppose that makes it easier to work things out without others guessing what I'm talking about." She laughed.

"Would you like some help with your homework?" Always be kind. Always offer your own time, even when you've got other things you need to do.

Postlog | Networking

At least the feeling of discomfort seemed to pass quickly. If anything, she seemed to relax more than before. Perhaps the older student needed a distraction from homework. Maybe less stress would help her focus more later?

A smile, that earned a returning smile from Luce. Glad to give a reason for the fellow Hufflepuff to smile, she was slightly proud of herself. She could only hope that her aunt would be proud as well. Perking up further at the description of this language that was new to her. “I like it. Perhaps you could teach it to me. I was raised with mainly French as my language. I don’t really like English, as a language. It feels strange on my tongue.” She responded.

Looking back down at her homework, she thought for a moment. “It is more of the language that is troublesome for me. I understand it, but it is hard to focus when I do not enjoy the language. If that makes any sense. Oh, I hope I don’t sound snobbish. I don’t mean to.” She replied.

Elaine made pretties
"Not at all," Mozelle laughed, grinning. "My father predominantly speaks Spanish at home, and Mother speaks Italian. My first word was ciao, if you'll hear her tell it, but Father insists it was volar." She couldn't help but laugh, thinking of how her parents disagreed on such a strange thing. "Perhaps they simply mean my first word to them."

"It's not snobbish at all to have a preference for your birth language, though. I like each of the languages I speak for different reasons. Italian is warm, like a burning hearth. Spanish is a perfect language for telling someone what you really think of them. English, while extremely difficult to master and meandering, is also extremely poetic," the fifth year explained. "Italian is my favorite when I'm happy. Spanish is my favorite when I'm frustrated."

Postlog | Networking

Smiling softly, at least this nice girl was quite understanding. Finally someone that understood Luce's situation at least a little bit better. "What is your favorite language above all? Or are they favorites equally in their own way? Which feels the best to speak?" She asked. Not being able to help her curiosity, she hoped that she wasn't being a bother.

Was there a time to which English was more preferable in any way to her? It seemed that she never would truly enjoy the language. Perhaps it would take time. Time did seem to heal a great amount of things.

Elaine made pretties