Chat
Cbox
Charming
Did you know?

Victorians could hire 'professional mourners' to attend their loved one's funeral. These people would partake in the procession and were not allowed to speak, just look awfully sad! — Rune

— Submit your own —
WANTED:

"The Prodigal Sister" for Ophelia Devine. Faked deaths, scandal, and schemes!
Kristoffer was going to be great at this, because he was great at everything. Also his memory was greater than everyone else's, because he bet no one else had ever lost their virginity somewhere exotic like Morocco. Hell, he bet no one else had even lost their virginity. Inexperienced losers.

Kristoffer Lestrange in Shining, Shimmering Splendour

— Nominate a quote —
7 Deadly Sins

Complete seven threads, one where your character displays each of the Seven Deadly Sins — Pride, Lust, Sloth, Envy, Weath, Gluttony, and Greed. Each thread should be at least ten posts, with at least three being your own. Character accounts can be combined.

<
>

The Miracle Of Sound
Private 
March 31st, 1888 — The Miracle Of Sound Music School and Shop, London, England
It was early in the morning, the air held a slight chill and the sky was overcast, promising to storm. Due to this he was in a vibrant mood this fine morning as he turned the key in the lock on his shop. This shop had been earned through years of sweat and blood, and he was proud of it. He wore a black suit with a crimson undershirt, and moved with an easy grace. He stepped inside and flipped the open sign. He drew his wand and with a wordless spell he lit the various gas lamps. The shop was much larger on the inside than the outside, this main room being the storefront. A long glass counter sat parallel to the eastern wall, dozens of various fine instruments inside the glass. Two grand pianos sat in the center on a raised dais. One black the other white. Bookshelves and instrument cases lined the west and parts of the south wall where the entrance was. The floor was crimson red carpentering and the wallpaper was crimson and gold leaf. The vibrant, expensive look of the shop was in thanks to several of his wealthy patrons. Through a set for french doors in the northern wall was the rest, the school complete with a small stage for student performances with fine acoustics through the door on the left of the corridor and his personal study at the far end through a heavy stained oak door.
He moved around the counter and took a seat on a stool, pulling his favorite ocarina from a shelf beside him. He began playing, somehow, The Bohemian Girl. He was expecting a potential student's brother within the hour, and his eldest sister was planning to stop in in the afternoon. It would be noon before any students arrive, but buyers could appear at any time.
He played both for his own pleasure and to draw the attention of passersby. It could be heard even over the now falling rain. Oddly, it seemed to weave together enhancing the piece.
Gerard Banges
Having made sure with his sister at least 3 times before, as she had a bit of a tendency to be a flake, Gerard had sent a letter to a music shop, or whatever it was called, in London. He had heard of it before, yes, something his old neighbours has said to him before they moved away. A discount, which could be enough. The Banges family often had little money, but Gerard thought that if his sister wanted to get involved in music, she should, if even just for a little while. But she was at school, Hogwarts, and so she wouldn't be doing anything until the summer, which, it felt to Gerard, was coming very soon.

Coming to London was always difficult, as Gerard hadn't owned a carriage in his lifetime, and his old broom was likely to wear out, though eventually Gerard decided that it was worth it, for his littlest sister. He could never see the point in music, but Gerard respected the young girl as a lady for making her wishes clear.

Even the outside of the store looked expensive. Gerry held his breath as he walked in, and released it. A melody was playing in the background on an instrument he couldn't name, and everything looked so well maintained and polished, as well as the fact that it must have been expensive in the first place.

He approached the man on the unknown instrument, looking at it. Though he wasn't one to talk. The only instruments he knew were the pianoforte and the fiddle. One because many people talked about them, the other because they were common at working class weddings. Dancing, he had to admit, was a fun part of music.

He introduced himself. "I am Mr. Banges, here to speak of my younger sister's instruction. Are you the Mr. Thornton I wrote to?"

Damen Thornton
Damen stopped playing with a warm smile as he set the instrument back down, and in one fluid movement jumped to his feet and gave a small bow. "At your service, you must be Mister Banges. Here on the behalf of your sister if I am not mistaken? Please, follow me to my study." He swept his left arm gesturing for the man to follow him through the french doors.
Gerard glanced at the doors, deciding that they looked rather nice. He hadn't expected for the musical man to jump, and was a bit startled. He went in as directed. "Excellent. I was hoping to speak about my sister learning to play the pianoforte. She seems excited at the prospect of learning." Hoping not to bore Mr. Thornton with the specifics of the whole thing, especially prices, at least not at first, seemed the most polite thing to do.
"Ah, a fine instrument. I personally prefer it's more modern cousin, but indeed I own one and offer lessons. Out of curiosity has anyone in your family played or mastered an instrument?" With a flick of his wand he pulled a chair out for his guest and went around to his own chair at his desk where he sat and tented his fingers.
Gerard Banges
Sitting down, as he believed polite, Gerard shook his head. "None of us have had very much time for music, I'm afraid, though I believe I had someone farther back who played the fiddle." Feeling a little bit out of place in the moment, he sat straighter. "But my sister seems to enjoy it quite a bit."
"Well then I should be happy to teach her! Before we discuss details would you like something to drink or eat?" He leaned back slightly and rolled his shoulders to relax.
"Whatever you would like will do fine, thank you." he said, "Perhaps something sweeter?" he paused, slightly apprehensive.
"Tea? Hot chocolate?" He asked, waving his wand as a plate flew into the room carrying two pots and four cups. "As for the question of pricing, the first lesson will always be free from me. Pricing from there depends on your family's situation, and whether the lessons are here, at home, or another location."
He poured himself a cup of tea, adding a little sugar, and drank a polite amount before saying, "It's good to know that some people think about the working classes. I think not enough people care that there is a whole other group that works a lot harder than them, for less. Right now, my father, mother, and brother are all working, as am I, though it would mostly be my father and I paying for her lessons. My sister and I would prefer they be at my family's house, where possible." he drank more of his tea.
"Certainly! As incentive, if she does well and studies hard she may have her own pianoforte to one day look forward to as a gift. Shall we arrange a time for her first lesson?" He too took some tea though plain.
"I'm sure that she will work hard when she hears that. As for the first lesson, she's currently at Hogwarts, so the lessons would begin in the summertime, when she gets back." he sat a bit more straight.
"Very well, send me an owl once there is an appropriate time. With an address I can apparate there as well. At least nearby." He said and stood and offered to shake the man's hand.
"Excellent, thank you for your help." Gerard shook the other man's hand politely, standing up. "I hope to see you later. Good day." he set his cup down on the plate, believing that it was his cue to leave.
"Before you leave, is there an instrument you have ever been fascinated by? Something that seemed to spark your very soul." He said, his tone turning serious, a blaze of passion seemed to burn in his already piercing amethyst eyes.
A tiny bit shocked by the change in tone, Gerard shook his head, "I've never been a musical man. Though if I had to choose an instrument, I would choose the fiddle"