Updates
Welcome to Charming
Welcome to Charming, the year is now 1894. It’s time to join us and immerse yourself in scandal and drama interlaced with magic both light and dark.

Where will you fall?

Featured Stamp

Add it to your collection...

Did You Know?
Queen Victoria was known for putting jackets and dresses on her pups, causing clothing for dogs to become so popular that fashion houses for just dog clothes started popping up all over Paris. — Fox
It would be easy to assume that Evangeline came to the Lady Morgana only to pick fights. That wasn't true at all. They also had very good biscuits.
Check Your Privilege

Read Only
Trouble Will Find Me
Expedition Fieldnotes
Central - East Africa, 1891
Human Impact on Tebo Habitats & Herd Migration

C. MacKay

Show

6th May, 1891
Port of Matadi, Congo Free State

Arrived yesterday in port & got room as planned in Matadi. Inn crammed full of European wizards. You wouldn’t know I’d just left Britain — too many Englishmen here already.

Weather makes a change, though. Spent today getting bearings in town & picked up the last of the supplies for the journey from the local wizarding market. Came back to the docks, got talking to a Belgian & asked about the ivory and hides he was shipping out. Spotted some Tebo hides and tusks among them, though he pretended otherwise, and wouldn’t say where he’d sourced them.

Met Tambwe as agreed this afternoon, thank Merlin. All set to head out tomorrow. Will be glad to be moving. (Will be glad to get out of town.)

The following 1 user Likes Conall MacKay's post:
   Elladora Black

23rd May, 1891
Somewhere along the Congo River, Near Kinshasa

Survived the first fortnight or so of trekking inland. Started out by Yellala Falls and followed along the Congo river as best we could. Nothing like the Amazon: full of rapids, steep gorges, and mostly impassable currents. Could have done the walk in half the time if not for that – but heard reports of at least five people who’d died or lost their kit on our way, so – could be worse.

There’s a railway being built south of Matadi toward Kinshasa to bypass the river; of course that means all the wildlife is being driven off – first Tebo we found was a half-decayed carcass, riverside. Railway’s not just a problem for that reason: apparently it’s driving off its workers too. If they haven’t fled for their lives, they’ve dropped dead of dysentery or exhaustion.

Think I’ll stick to the river route, myself.

11th June, 1891
Congo Basin

River widens out, the further into the basin you go. Could travel by steamer for stretches. The rest we walked, though not all of the rainforest has been mapped out here. Can feel the weather change intensely in here. Staying towards the edges of the basin, where the habitat meets drier savannah, but met briefly with Hans de Geest who studies rainforest Streelers. Fun chap. Has either inhaled too many toxic fumes from the Streeler slime or lived in here too long, but does good work all the same.

Wary of biting flies & sleeping sickness, but mostly camping now. Most villagers suspicious of travellers, though a few friendly magical villages have hosted us along the way. Tebo not common in these parts, but they do trade their hide and tusks; learned a little about how hunters traditionally trap them.

Also heard plenty about how the rubber industry works down here. None of it good.

30th June, 1891
Somewhere on the savanna

Have been heading north to meet with Lukinda and Rodrigo Lopes as agreed.

It’s bloody hot on the open grassland. More like summer in Australia out here. Tambwe keeps thinking the new freckles on my arms are a sure sign I’m ill. Told him the sickness is called being Irish, but he won’t hear it. Thinks I’m going to drop dead any minute.

His outlook on the Tebo migration isn’t too cheerful, either. Whether it’s wild land disappearing or an excess of hunting in these parts, we’ve not seen the numbers we ought to by now. Hopeful that their path north has just altered from previous seasons & that we’ll see more of them soon.

But the creature situation isn’t the only depressing thing here. Could do with a lot fewer of the people here. Not that I make a habit of agreeing with Christian missionaries, but their outrage in this case is not misplaced. Exploitation – forced labour – whole massacred villages – cutting off hands – it’s a fucking abomination. The savagery in this place has nothing to do with the natives.

14th July, 1891
Savanna

Good thing even invisible creatures leave tracks, or we’d still be seeing a whole lot of nothing. No, have made good progress now – evidence of their grazing habits, scat, dens, disturbed mudbaths – and have also figured out the revealing spells to put in place so we can observe without disturbing them. Rodrigo makes an excellent plant paste to rub on skin, or leaves to burn on the fire, to dissuade them from attacking us unawares – it’s mildly toxic to them, so they steer clear. Admittedly, Tambwe’s Portuguese is lacking, so until Lukinda spared us and explained, he was about ready to eat it.

Cutting across the hills to get set up at the lake before they arrive at the watering hole. Judging by the tracks it looks like we might see an Erumpent or two nearby as well. Should be a couple solid weeks of study.

21st July, 1891
?? Lake, Following the Tebo Herd

Got a close look at a few grown males, travelling alone – I don’t blame them – and now following a sounder of roughly 40 mothers and their young. Did almost get gored once; fortunately it was a little’un.

I might try going around my days invisibly when I’m back in Scotland, to be honest. Seems like it would be a more peaceful way to live. Much less chat.

27th August, 1891
Further north-east, Congo Free State

Have made good progress with the Tebo herd. Tambwe has a better map of their watering holes. Some clear hunting activity by the last few – fortunately, these poachers seem to have failed to catch anything, wizards or no. If the charms on their trap dens got – meddled with, well, that’s no one’s business but theirs. Perhaps they’ll get stuck in their trap and skin their own hides this time.

11th September, 1891
Just outside a Bantu village

We’ve headed off the Tebo trail. Supplies needed restocking, but then – we heard tales at the next few villages of some ruckus caused by the Belgian settlers. They’ve mentioned a creature. Can’t be sure what, but they’re talking about massacres. It’s a two-week detour. We’ve all agreed it’s one worth taking.

28th September, 1891
Nr Stanley Falls, towards the border with Uganda

At least six villages massacred and razed in the area. Reported to the authorities, word is, but everyone says there’s no trusting word of that here. The Ministry never makes it out here in a crisis, never mind the muggles. The story, as we’ve pieced it together, is this: some of the colonists are forcing the villages into labour on threat of death. For those who refuse, they set their creature loose on them.

Signs are clear. It’s a fully grown Nundu – so, more dangerous than any Erumpent or dragon. Especially in the wrong hands. I don’t know how they’re controlling it... who knows if they can control it. Probably suits them, to let it and its toxic breath indiscriminately loose on the natives. Does their job for them.

2nd October, 1891
Same Territory
We bumped into that band of Belgians three days later, as it happens. Looked to us like they were off to raid another village – had the Nundu subdued in a cage. We got into – confrontation with them. Threatened to turn them in to the Belgians in control – they threatened to set the Nundu on us. Disarmed them. Their wands, anyway. Turns out they had muggle weapons on them too. A few injured amongst them, in the end – and Tambwe got the Nundu free, but we lost track of it on the grassland. Us and them both, as far as we now.

Going to track it now to see it safely away from the population here. But too dark to make much progress yet – and we’re all a bit knackered, so will regroup tomorrow.*
*Conall also got shot today, but he didn’t think it was worth mentioning.

20th October, 1891
Along the Congolese-Ugandan border

Spent the last fortnight or so searching for the Nundu. Alerted all the local administration and villages we could, and they’ve sent out other parties for it, so there was backup ready if it got near – but it’s hard terrain here. I’ve got a bit slow. Rodrigo led the way, and came back with the news it was dead. The nundu hadn’t been in good health for some time. The whole area was pungent with it. A majestic creature, all the same.

Rodrigo and Lukinda are staying on to study it in more depth. I would have gone with them, but was – indisposed. I’ll stay a few more days, but I’ve got to catch up to the Tebos before the dry season ends.

1st November, 1891
Northern Congo Free State

The dry season’s definitely over. Fucking went and slipped and fell and lost Tambwe out in the middle of nowhere in the rainfall, didn’t I, and nearly got flooded in a ditch. On the other hand, feeling fairly lucky I didn’t get washed down a waterfall.

17th November, 1891

‘My leg’s infected’, says Tambwe, like he’s a healer. Won’t give me two minutes peace out here. Thinks I should ‘go to a hospital’. Is obviously insane. Nice to know he wants to get rid of me, after all this time.

30th November, 1891

Got a little more time with the Tebos. Parted ways with Tambwe yesterday to make my own journey back as planned. Up through British East Africa & Sudan next, down the Nile, a quick stop in Egypt, then home by the port of Alexandria. Eva & Miller & baby Nola are all well, last I heard, so I’ve no need to rush. Should be back to Scotland by the New Year to start compiling all our research from this year, no worse for wear.

View a Printable Version