Chat
Cbox
Charming
Did you know?

Victorians could hire 'professional mourners' to attend their loved one's funeral. These people would partake in the procession and were not allowed to speak, just look awfully sad! — Rune

— Submit your own —
WANTED:

"The Prodigal Sister" for Ophelia Devine. Faked deaths, scandal, and schemes!
Kristoffer was going to be great at this, because he was great at everything. Also his memory was greater than everyone else's, because he bet no one else had ever lost their virginity somewhere exotic like Morocco. Hell, he bet no one else had even lost their virginity. Inexperienced losers.

Kristoffer Lestrange in Shining, Shimmering Splendour

— Nominate a quote —
7 Deadly Sins

Complete seven threads, one where your character displays each of the Seven Deadly Sins — Pride, Lust, Sloth, Envy, Weath, Gluttony, and Greed. Each thread should be at least ten posts, with at least three being your own. Character accounts can be combined.

<
>

Born to Be Wild
Open 
April 12, 1888 - Podmore Zoological Gardens

Since they had arrived in London spring had arrived and Caroline was quite thoroughly sick of being stuck indoors. Shawn had been annoyed at her previous ventures out, but really, did he expect her to sit indoors in a townhouse where no one knew her? She was at least polite enough to let Shawn know of her daily plans before she and Shawn departed this time. Her venture? To the Irvingly Zoo. She’d heard about Irvingly a little bit and was fascinated at a place where both magic and muggles lived in harmony and a zoo sounded quite enchanting. Besides, the sky was blue with no clouds in sight (rare, she had found, for Great Britain) and it felt so delightful outside that how could she resist? She’d actually asked if Shawn would like to go, but he’d declined and as such she and Hope had apperated to their destination.

Just inside the zoo Caroline stopped in her tracks. “Oh look at them!” She cried louder than necessary to Hope. “I want to ride one.” She declared looking over her shoulder to realize she wasn’t speaking to her maid, but rather to a gentleman who had his eyes locked on her. Whoops.

[Image: vg1Bdq.png]
Amazing MJ set!
No, Tierney didn't work at the zoo, but he was involved with it simply due to his job. He never took care of the animals, fed them, or did the mundane things that zookeepers had to do, but he had the opportunity to study them at times. That was how he liked it: all the entertainment of studying new creatures without having to clean up their shit.

He was the most amused when he found himself staring by a currently unattended lady who seemed captivated by the creatures. She didn't seem to realize her friend was no longer with her, as she suddenly found herself facing him.

"I'm not sure they'd like that, Miss," he chuckled, his own American accent thick in his voice. "They're being rehabilitated at the moment; they all have injuries in some shape or form," he explained.

Post Log
The man was tall and red headed, had he not spoken Caroline half expected she would have thought he'd speak much as the Irish immigrants back in Boston with a thick brogue. Instead his accent sounded rather like her own. She hadn't expected to find an American here. At least he seemed amused by her statement. Although just where Hope had gone to was quite a mystery. Caroline looked past him to try and spot her maid and managed to do so rather on the sly, she thought.

"Oh?" Caroline tilted her head to the side as she looked at the man, he seemed rather informed. Her brown eyes looked back at the large peaceful creatures in their pasture. "What type of injuries?" She asked, genuinely concerned for the elephants.

Amazing MJ set!
Tierney stepped up closer to her and to the protective barrier between the guests and the creatures — though not close enough to the woman that it would breach propriety — and pointed to one of the larger animals.

"That one suffered an arrow at the hand of muggle savages in Africa. The magizoologists at the zoo—" Not him, though, as he wasn't specifically employed here. "—were responding to reports of a distressed erumpent, but stumbled across these guys as well. They'll hopefully be released once their injuries can be healed the muggle way." He frowned upon using magical enchantments on muggle creatures; there was little research on the long-term effects magic had on them, especially non-domesticated ones.

Post Log
Caroline wondered what it would be like to be in Africa, she wondered at the other creatures. She’d heard a few stories, but no one really seemed to know much. Besides, hearing of it and seeing it, they were two totally different things.

Why the muggle way?” Caroline inquired, her head tilting to the side as she took in the creatures. Afterall she’d heard of the magical settlements of Hogsmeade and Irvingly for years. They were allowed to do magic and use it without as such secrecy. She knew there were rules in Irvingly, but if muggles knew and when the animals were released would it really be such a big deal to heal them magically?

Amazing MJ set!
Tierney leaned closer, not wanting to speak too loudly; they were in the muggle section, and though whispering of magic wasn't against the rules, he didn't want to blast the knowledge to the ignorant.

"I suppose there hasn't been enough research into the long-term effects of magic on muggle animals. Magic — or at least magical reversal charms — have proven successful on muggles, but they're by no means elephants," he explained, going into his Teacher Tierney mode.

Post Log
It surprised Caroline that the gentleman leaned closer to her, keeping his tone low. She had expected in a town where no magical and magical lived together that there wouldn’t be a need for secrecy, it appeared her fellow countryman held no such belief.

She supposed his explanation made sense, but really it appeared to her they had a good opportunity to study the very creatures they needed information on, right here. “Why not study the effects of magic on these then?” She politely inquired.

Another question popped into her mind then, “Are all the animals here hurt?” It seemed odd to have a zoo if all the creatures were injured.

Amazing MJ set!
Her questions were good ones; it was rare to meet a non-magizoologist woman who had a true interest in learning about the creatures rather than just watching them through the barrier.

"I suppose it's difficult when the animals here are for muggle viewing. We wouldn't want them to be exposed to magical effects on the daily," he explained with a shrug. Despite his sister's employment here, Tierney didn't really work there; he just knew enough about the place to be a pseudo guide when he was trying to avoid working.

"They're not all injured; I don't think Podmore would whisk animals away at random, though. They do rehabilitation and study them for various reasons," he continued, offering her a smile.

Post Log
Caroline’s brow furrowed in mild confusion, “I thought that muggles in Irvingly were aware of the magical community though?” Likely she seemed ignorant for the question but she was beginning to be confused and it wasn’t like Shawn was around to clarify her curiosity for her.

His explanation confused her further. “So the zoo is more like a study than a park?” Really it wasn’t something she saw a lot of in Boston. She was use to the exotic goods from far away lands, but really creatures were something new to her. Hence the appeal of this outing.

Speaking of outing Caroline was beginning to worry about her maid. “You haven’t happened to have seen a young woman near here a moment ago, would you?” Perhaps he might even be able to help her find Hope.

Amazing MJ set!
"The muggles are aware — that doesn't mean we wave our wands around for them to see. It's actually forbidden in most areas of the town," he responded, his tone a bit somber. He really wished they didn't have to avoid magic, but at least it was better than America's laws on the matter. "And the zoo serves different purposes; the researchers think of it as a research facility, and the community thinks it as a park."

He didn't know what other woman he was supposed to be watching out for; this young lady was the only one he'd spotted. His brows furrowed as he peered around the area. There was no one in sight.

"I haven't?" he asked, hoping it would prompt further explanation.

Post Log
"Hm." It made sense she supposed, but she had rather hoped more of the small young town. Perhaps too much. But she supposed that was part of seeing new things, learning such minor details about them, as these.

At his confusion Caroline realized that Hope must have wandered off on her own quite a bit ago. How had Caroline not noticed her friend's disappearance? "My maid." She explained, "She was right behind me when we entered the gates, indeed, I rather thought I was speaking to her when we began speaking." Caroline put a half smile on her lips at the hint of a joke. Although after her argument with Shawn the other day she had been more conscience of behaving as one ought too and right now she was certainly toeing the line - speaking with an unknown gentleman without a chaperon. Although, really, it was quite a good explanation. Who could blame Caroline that Hope had disappeared? Not that Caroline wasn't concerned about her maid, but really, how could Shawn find fault in this? With his gloomy attitude these days she was sure he'd find a way, fair or not.

Amazing MJ set!
As Tierney had stated, he'd seen no women enter the gates; however, he wasn't inclined to wander off and allow the woman to remain alone when she apparently had a chaperon with her, and as such felt obligated to assist her.

"I'm sure she got distracted. It's not too unusual for young ladies — sometimes even children — to end up away from their company," he reassured, unsure of what was going through the woman's head. His place was with animals, and as charming as he thought he was, he wasn't confident in his ability to console a panicking debutante.

"We can go look for her, if you'd like?" he offered.

Post Log
Not too hard for young ladies to get distracted? Caroline had heard sentiments like this before but being a rather astute young lady she thought them rather silly. But often to her own advantage, so she never really argued against them. Hope did have a tendency to distracted by things and think that her lady was close by, so Caroline wasn't overly concerned. She just figured she should likely find the young woman as she was sure that Shawn might object because of British sensibilities, even if it was an American before her.

"I'd appreciate the help." Caroline admitted giving him a charming smile and allowing him to direct her where to go. As they started walking she thought it might be polite to keep their conversation going. "What part of America are you from?"

Amazing MJ set!
Tierney would entertain her questions for a while, but eventually he'd have to return to work. (Not that his work was here, he just rather enjoyed poking his sister for access to the Podmore animals.)

"I'm from the Northeast," he answered with a grin. He'd thought it was funny that the topic of their American-ness hadn't appeared earlier in the conversation, seeing that they were both smack dab in the middle of Scotland. "Any yourself?" he prompted. He presumed she was one of those American debutantes seeking wealth and an old family name in Britain; there were plenty two did it, with far fewer who succeeded.

Post Log
"Boston." Caroline replied, quite happy that she had managed to smooth the clipped Bostonian accent enough that the gentleman might not be able to detect it. "I suppose that makes us practically neighbors." She chirped as they continued down the paths deeper into the gardens.

"Do you mind if I ask what brought you over here?" Caroline asked, if she were to be looking for her maid polite conversation needed to be held up somehow. So far she'd seen nothing of the other young lady.

Amazing MJ set!