Cbox
Chat
Did you know?

First names were most often used by childhood or school friends. If the friendship was made after school age, first names would only really be used by women. Men were far more likely to refer to their friends by their surnames, a mark of familiarity. — Documentation

— Submit your own —
WANTED:

Carson Bixby for Sloane Bixby. You can take the middle-aged man out of quidd—oh, apparently you can't.
Separating was also not a great idea, though they weren't doing great at staying together anyway. If she were to volunteer to be the human sacrifice.. well... Hogsmeade had plenty of debutantes anyway...

Barnabas Skeeter in CYOA: Group D

— Nominate a quote —
Well-Traveled

Complete threads set in ten different forum locations. Threads must have at least ten posts, and three must be your own. Character accounts cannot be combined.

<
>

A Chaser in the Garden
April 10th, 1888

It wasn't often that Thomas made the trip to visit the rather strange placed known as Irvingly though when he did, it was most often to see a good friend of his.

Irvingly was one of those places that truly baffled Thomas. It was a strange combination of tolerance and intolerance that always left Thomas scratching his head; wizards, witches, and muggles lived together here quite peacefully under the pretence that, well, they didn't live together. They were around each other but led very separate lives. Thomas didn't quite understand it - he found muggles fascinating though even he admitted their traditions were a bit strange (though their fashion sense was always astounding). But, alas, that was how it was.

The chaser had decided to pay Amelia Evans a visit seeing as he had some downtime during the off-season. He hadn't spoken to her in a short while and wanted to catch up. Without so much a letter to warn her of his imminent arrival, Thomas thought it best he catch her at work (where she always seemed to be).

He put on a plain outfit and headed to the nearest floo network fireplace. He always felt awkward apparating to Irvingly - not that he'd ever tried it. Appearing at the cafe with a weird name, Thomas made his way across the town toward Hawthorne Hollow where, upon entering the gardens Amelia worked at, was greeted by two very large elephants.

Thomas paid for his ticket and began to wander around, his eyes peeled for any indication of Amelia.

It took a short while but finally he saw who appeared to be her. She was tending to something seemingly important and Thomas moved to stand next to her, resting his elbows on the rail. She was skittish at the best of times and Thomas had learned the hard way not to make her jump, "So what is it you're doing with all these animals anyway?" Thomas asked casually as if he'd been there the entire time.

Sometimes, though, he couldn't help but make her jump - or try to.
"Pascal, if you would just get out of my way please!" Amelia exclaimed, huffing a sigh as her Maine Coon traipsed through her garden. One of the ways they provided food for the animals they looked after was through gardening; Amelia never really paid any attention to the hobby beyond Herbology at Hogwarts. She enjoyed it, but she never pictured herself to be the type to worry abut her petunias.

Yet, here she was, bustling over a garden with her cat's bushy tail in her face half the time.

It was a relief to be able to bring both her pets to work. Both were smart and never got into any trouble concerning other animals they shouldn't be dealing with, however Pascal enjoyed his owner's company a little too much, and often got in her way when she was trying to be productive. This was one such time.

Pascal visibly bristled at the admonishment, giving her a reproachful look as he sat down in front of her. "Pascal." she warned. In response (and retaliation, no doubt), the large cat stood on its hind legs and promptly placed both paws on her face. "Pascal!" Amelia shoved the large cat off of her and shot him a nasty glare as he trotted away triumphantly.

Deciding she was rather done with animals for the day, the witch stood up and brushed off her apron. Picking up her basket of seeds, she was about to turn towards the shed when out popped Thomas Tilcott, casual as all getout. Amelia jumped, upsetting her basket of seeds in response. It was the newcomer's turn to be on the receiving end of the witch's admonishing stare. "Thomas!" He did that on purpose.

Thomas couldn't help but grin at her scornful gaze; it reminded him of when they were back at school and she would be sitting in the Gryffindor common minding her own business when Thomas would jump out from behind her. She gave the same look then as she was giving him now.

"What?" Thomas' tone dripped with false innocence and he held out his hand to take the basket, "Am I not allowed to ask what you are doing?" He asked playfully as he gestured for them to start walking; it was such a nice day and it would be a waste for them to miss out on the sights of these gardens.

"How are you doin', Amelia? I haven't seen you in a while." Sometimes idle chatter was nice when you were in good company and Amelia typically was just that: good company.
The witch grimaced at all her spilled seeds on the ground. With a wave of her wand, she summoned them back into the basket and gathered them into her arms. Looking back up at Thomas, she had half a mind to throw them all on him again. But she figured that would also mean she would have to clean them up. Giving Thomas a half quizzical look, Amelia decided against her temptation and kept the seeds in the basket.

"I'm doing alright," she said, waving her wand again so the basket would disappear. She wasn't aware that she hadn't wiped away all the dirt her cat had kicked onto her face. "Can't really complain," she said, wiping off her hands on her apron. Though her life could certainly be better if Barnabas Skeeter hadn't been thrown into her life - again. The gods loved having a laugh at her misery..... "How about yourself, Thomas?"

There was a woof! as Penny trotted up to the newcomer in search of treats and pets.
"I'm well, Thomas replied as he stepped toward his friend, "Not much beyond trainin', really. Much better than your face seems to be doin' right now, though." And with that, Thomas ran his thumb gently across her cheek and brushed off some of the dirt, "You do know dirt is for the ground, right?"

And before she could answer, there were several woofs coming from his feet - another animal. Where on earth was he that there were so many animals? A zoological garden!? Thomas, for the briefest moment, remembered why he rarely visited this place.

He knelt down and ran his hands through the pets fur, scratching behind its' ear.

Looking up at Amelia, Thomas smiled. Despite the dirt on her face and what he presumed to be annoyance at his sudden appearance, she looked somewhat happy - though he couldn't really tell.

"I don't think I could work with animals all day. I mean... apart from Bixby. But he's a special kind of animal," Thomas laughed to himself, "And anyway - what 'ave I missed? It's been too long for me to keep up. We don't write enough."
A protest of indignation about his rudeness rose in Amelia. Before she could voice it though, she watched his hand reach for her face and brush something off of it. The gritty texture she felt let her know Pascal's paw prints had not wiped away from her face as easily as she had hoped.

She was used to this sort of mess. She had never minded the dirt anyways. She met his gaze as he looked up at her from petting Penny. The dog seemed to enjoy the attention which gave Amelia time to haphazardly rub her face in order to get any remaining dirt off of it. "You haven't missed much, Thomas," she replied smoothly. She wasn't about to admit to him that the dog she'd taken had turned out to be her ex - er... her old beau. No, sir, that was not something she would care to admit.

She tried to tamp down the blush in her cheeks by talking about work. "The Fire Crabs have gotten more restless as of late, and one seems to have developed the habit of escaping his cage every now and then."
“Not missin’ much means I missed somethin’ at least,” Thomas shrugged as he stood back up and brushed himself down. The dog seemed to be friendly though if he were to be honest with himself, Thomas wasn’t particularly much of an animal person. He’d had an owl in Hogwarts and never named it. He didn’t even know where it was now. Maybe it died somewhere.

Before he had chance to continue, however, Amelia changed the topic. Arching his eyebrows, Thomas let out a huff, “Get rid of ‘em, I say.” He nodded sagely, “Any creature that shoots fire out of it’s ar-” The chaser stopped himself mid-sentence as he remembered who he was in the company of.

He really ought to learn how to be a gentleman around women. Maybe then his father would get off his back a little. Who knew; society was weird. Quidditch wasn’t. Thomas understood quidditch.

“-Er… They’re dangerous, Amelia. And I play Quidditch.” Thomas said and looked back to the floor, watching the dog, “Friendly dog, though.”

After petting the dog once more, Thomas straightened himself out again and looked Amelia in the eye with an intent, almost concerned gaze, “You sure I ain’t missed much, anyway? We used to write a lot – now nothin’. I know I don’t write much but I have to travel and I can’t write when I’m on a broom, y’know.”
Damn him and his perceptiveness! Amelia was relieved when he brushed over that and went to talking about fire crabs; not a feeling that lasted long however, as he began to put the fire crabs on blast (pun intended). She cast him a sharp look, warning him to watch his words. "All the more reason to understand them, no?" she debated, lacing her fingers in front of her as they walked. "I don't think they're anything to be frightened of if we learn about them, Thomas."

She smiled contentedly at the image of her friend playing with Penny. A meow sounded behind her and she turned to see her Maine Coon, Pascal trotting towards her. Now the little rascal wants attention, she smirked, opening her arms at exactly the moment the animal leapt into her arms. The large cat's fur spilled over her arms as she embraced him, continuing the walk. She pursed her lips slightly at Thomas' pressing. "Really, it's nothing, Thomas, I'm fine." she laughed, "Even then, I think you should learn how to correspond on your broomstick. That'd help with you and your fan mail, yes?" she teased.