Updates
Welcome to Charming
Welcome to Charming, the year is now 1894. It’s time to join us and immerse yourself in scandal and drama interlaced with magic both light and dark.

Where will you fall?

Featured Stamp

Add it to your collection...

Did You Know?
Queen Victoria was known for putting jackets and dresses on her pups, causing clothing for dogs to become so popular that fashion houses for just dog clothes started popping up all over Paris. — Fox
It would be easy to assume that Evangeline came to the Lady Morgana only to pick fights. That wasn't true at all. They also had very good biscuits.
Check Your Privilege

Concerns From Hogwarts
-
30 January, 1891
— Breccan —
I have heard word that there was an accident at the shop you work at. Are you alright? I hope you will be able to keep your job. What happened? Were you there?
— Alina —

Breccan MacRae

OOC - Please assume that there are several minor misspellings, though it's passible enough that a Hogwarts professor won't cry or scrunch their nose at the sight.

Magic by Lady!
January 31st, 1891
Alina,

I am quite alright, and we can thank God for that. Mr. Ollivander is injured, though, and besides that rebuilding needs to be done on the shop. We might be out for the week, but otherwise it seems things will continue--it's lucky that I was outside the shop at the time. My coworkers also seem unharmed, though I feel bad about the Potts shop. I believe some of the younger Miss Potts are students at your school--offer my condolences if you see them, though thank God (again) that it seems no one there was harmed.

In the meantime, I hope Hogwarts is treating you alright and that you are enjoying your first year, you and Page both.

Breccan

[Image: jOwUn1.jpg]
Thanks, Elaine!
-
2 February, 1891
— Breccan —
Be sure to give my well wishes to Mr. Ollivander in his recovery. Keep busy if you can. I'm sure mother will tell you more than I as to what idle hands may do to a person.

Page seems more interested in making friends than studying, though rest assured that I bring her back to reality when need be. She may not make it past a couple years, though I cannot blame her. Perhaps she would thrive as a lady's maid one day. I assume with the right employer that she will thrive being able to chat and help the matriarch of a home get ready for a party.
— Alina —

Breccan MacRae

OOC - Please assume that there are several minor misspellings, though it's passible enough that a Hogwarts professor won't cry or scrunch their nose at the sight.

Magic by Lady!
February 13, 1891
Alina,

I will be sure to keep busy--perhaps I'll join our brothers and sisters in peddling, though I suppose lifting things might still be more my strength. We're running in limited capacity now anyways, so I do have some work to keep me busy, even if it's not in the same manner as before.

Good to hear that she is making those friends, and I hope you are making some as well. I'm sure you know that making the right ones can change your future. Don't worry about her too much--studies are not for everyone, and a career as a lady's maid could certainly suit her and allow her to assist her future husband in providing for a family in the future. You certainly don't need all those OWLs and NEWTs to have a good life.

Breccan

Thanks, Elaine!
-
15 February, 1891
— Breccan —
I am glad the shop is not completely out of commission due to the incident. Our siblings would still likely welcome your help.

I am sure it is no secret as to how much I value the prospects that good grades would provide. It takes hard work and ambition to achieve these goals. Friends may be nice, but a secure future would be better. I hope you can understand.
— Alina —

Breccan MacRae

Magic by Lady!
February 18, 1891
Alina,

Help for my younger sisters and brothers is something I'm always willing to give.

Remember that, as important as grades seem to you, friends may seem as important to Page. Both things take time and effort to maintain, and ideally you'd want to have a good balance of both. I'm glad you understand how lucky both of you are to be given opportunities to make these choices.

I'll also remind you that even grades cannot determine a secure future. I did not make it to OWLs in order to give Treasa an opportunity and my grades were fine enough. I am glad that you are beginning to picture your future though, for I've often found that planning can help things run smoother (though things do tend to explode when you least expect it). And if you decide Ollivander's is in the future, I'll see what I can do for you.

No promises, though,

Breccan

Thanks, Elaine!
-
24 February, 1891
— Breccan —
I am not looking down on Page, and I apologize if my last letter read as such. Perhaps it is more as comparing a working woman to a socialite. If we were in such circles, Page would thrive as a socialite and I would thrive as a working woman. I don't see any fault in either position. Though perhaps that is too modern of me.
— Alina —

It took a certain amount of effort for Alina to not become rather frustrated by her brother's words. She knew he only meant well. But she wanted more than a shop job. She wanted to do something she deemed meaningful in her life. She never tried being blunt at home, especially around their parents. She wasn't trying to seem disrespectful or ungrateful. But she valued moving forward in life far more than a friendship that may or may not last.

Breccan MacRae

Magic by Lady!
February 28, 1891
Alina,

I agree that both are good positions to take, though it's not often you'll see someone like us as a socialite. Page can dream if she wishes, so long as she floats back down to earth when she's done. I do have a great amount of respect for working women--after all, who knows where we'd be if our lovely mother decided to sit on her hands all day? I wish you the best of luck in your studies. Still, try to have some fun (even if it is the smallest amount you can manage). I'd hate to see you home this summer with skeleton hands from working all your fingers to the bone!

Breccan

Thanks, Elaine!
-
3 March, 1891
— Breccan —
I was using a societal example, not an expectation of what life will be like. I don't expect any of us to become socialites.

I do not shy away from hard work. You know this. Playing games is for the younger lot, not someone who already works and has finally began attendance at Hogwarts. My hands shall not be idle.
— Alina —

Breccan MacRae

Magic by Lady!
March 5, 1891
Alina,

Who knows...perhaps we have a forgotten great-great-great uncle who will bequeath us an exorbitant amount upon his death and we will become the talk of London (A joke, sister).

I trust that you know yourself well enough not to forget to keep your health in mind while you accomplish your hard work. Still--allow me to worry. It's my job as your brother. Please, allow me to know: have you at least been enjoying watching the Quidditch games? And has Hufflepuff won any?

Breccan

Thanks, Elaine!
-
6 March, 1891
— Breccan —
One can dream.

They won last time. Today is their second match. I will let you know the results when I can. It is still maddening that I didn't make the team. Our parents will likely not let me try out again next year.
— Alina —

Breccan MacRae

Magic by Lady!
March 8, 1891
Alina,

I hope Hufflepuff has secured another victory. Do not worry too much about not making it in your first year, as it's rare that first years make it over more experienced flyers, and even less likely now that (for a rather foolish reason) they've banned Bludgers and so no Beaters will play. I will try to speak with our parents about letting you try out next year.

Breccan

Thanks, Elaine!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Victoire Malfoy
June 26, 2023 – 2:59 PM
Last Post by Claire Bénet
November 18, 2018 – 1:16 AM
View a Printable Version