Cbox
Chat
UPDATES
Did you know?
Charming has a number of lonely plots looking for love. Why not take a gander and see what hijinks your character can get up to? — Kayte ( Submit your own)
Featured Adoptable

Clare Victoria Basiltree for Christopher Basiltree.
Meddlesome mother, but make her a squib <3
He has touched my ankle and seen me with my hair down (not intentionally, of course!), so I'm pretty sure I already know what it feels like to be married.Helga Scamander in Helga's Boy Book
— Nominate a quote —
Featured Stamp
Complete seven threads where your character displays each of the Seven Deadly Sins — Pride, Lust, Sloth, Envy, Wrath, Gluttony, and Greed!
>
<

Sideshow Attractions
See Inside 
January 16th, 1891 — Dueling Exhibition

Gideon was always interested in seeing a good display of magic, since he specialized in wandcraft. For him, watching a dueling match was as much about seeing how the two wands interplayed with each other as it was about the skill of the wizard in question. He had enjoyed the first few matches and his bracket was still doing reasonably well, which meant he might end up actually making a bit of money today — not that he'd expected to, but if that was the case, maybe he could turn it around and buy something nice for Billie.

The further they went in the bracket, the fancier things were bound to get, and it seemed the contestants were aiming to impress. Unfortunately, one of the spells shot a bit wide of the mark, which meant when the defending fellow put up a shield, it ricochetted into the crowd and very near Gideon. "Watch your head, Miss!" he called at a nearby woman who sat directly in the spell's path, reaching to shove her out of the way. He must have been a little rougher than he'd intended, however, because the next thing he knew she was sprawling on the ground, and he'd heard an unmistakable sound: her wand snapping somewhere within her skirt pockets. Oh, no.

(OOC: Tagged for @Ellory Lestrange but open to others in the crowd after she posts!)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Gideon Ollivander's post:
   Ellory Lestrange
Ellory had come to the duelling competition with a friend. Claude was conveniently at work because he likely wouldn't take lightly to his pregnant wife being shoved by a strange man.

It all happened very fast. She had been enjoying the spectacle when a bright light flashed before her eyes. A strong force pushed her off her seat. In her attempt not to fall on her belly, she landed on her left buttock, where her wand pocket was. A crack was heard and Ellory's heart froze. What if she lost the baby?

What if she had a miscarriage? What did a miscarriage even feel like? She didn't feel any pain to her belly. But what if?

Shocked and frankly, angry as she was, Ellory began to cry. "You sir! How crude of you to push the mother of an unborn child like that!" She exclaimed as she slowly stood up with her friend's help. She instinctively went for her wand, as she did when she was angry, but it had almost snapped in two.

And then it started shooting the sort of hexes that had been running through her mind a moment ago, even though she hadn't explicitly asked it to. With a small scream, Ellory dropped it on the floor.

[Image: spldSej.png]
SET BY MJ

Lilypie Maternity tickers
Gideon hadn't even realized the woman's condition before he'd shoved her, and his mouth fell open in surprise and horror at what had transpired. He didn't know much, or really anything, about pregnancy, so he didn't know whether he'd caused her any harm, but felt positively mortified by the prospect. He was only able to stammer out, "I — I'm so sorry," before his attention was drawn back once again to her wand. It hit the floor and immediately started spurting magic in every direction, like a chicken with its head cut off running in circles and spilling out blood. The crowd around them separated as people began to realize something was amiss, but even so, it likely couldn't continue on this way for long without hurting someone.

"Stand back," Gideon called, scrambling to fish his own wand out of his pocket.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Gideon Ollivander's post:
   Ellory Lestrange
Ellory screamed and did as she was told, accidentally pushing someone off towards the row in front with her body.

SET BY MJ

Gideon's first priority was containing the damaged wand before it hurt someone, but his priorities shifted when it managed to set fire to the hem of the nearest lady's skirt.

"Augamenti," he cast, sending a strong stream of pure water from the tip of his wand towards her dress, soaking both her and the gentleman between them in the process. Hopefully both of them would see the necessity of his charm, since the fire was out and her skirt was only a little singed.

"Alright," he said, turning his attention to the wand and dropping to one knee, his posture that of someone trying to calm a frightened animal. "Alright, calm down now. I know you're hurt. It'll be okay."

(Yes, he was talking to the wand, which had gone from spraying magic in every direction to sputtering angrily against the ground).
She'd been pleased when her sister-in-law had invited her out, even if a dueling contest was far more Ellory-ish active than one Dru was typically into. She'd had no other plans today than to simply sit around and wait for William to come home from work, so attending the tournament gave her something to do - and the added benefit of it being a charity event. There were quite a few names she recognized, but no one she was necessarily that close to so she didn't bother to place her own bets.

It was a little after the halfway point when the motion of her cousin falling caught her attention in the corner of her eye, breath catching as she helplessly tried to catch her. "Ellory!" Fumbling slightly, Dru rushed to help the shorter woman up, peeved at the man before them for not caring more about what he had done until her attention was caught by the flashing sparks. Unsure what else she could do, she pulled her own wand out and set off a quick shield charm to provide a barrier between themselves and the sparking wand - even if it had seemed to calm down slightly. "Are you okay? You didn't get hit did you?"

[Image: jIB0Db.gif]
[Image: zWKgm5.png?t=1&ZYGqqcWi]
set by the wonderful stef
"I'm alright, I think," Ellory replied, her hands going to her belly. "Or at least I think so! I don't feel terrible pain - I would feel terrible pain if I was to lose my baby, wouldn't I?" Not that Cornelia would know, seeing that she wasn't a mother herself.

"You sir were terribly careless!" Ellory moved her attention to the wand-maker, who seemed to be talking with her wand. "Look at the harm you've done! It takes a brutal madman to break a pear wand and to push a pregnant woman!"

SET BY MJ

Gideon didn't know how to respond to the accusation that he was a brutal madman. Anyone who knew him would have known nothing was farther from the truth, and he'd only shoved her in order to get her out of the way of a spell which might have done much worse harm to her than the fall had. Had she not seen the incoming danger? Or was she, perhaps, hysterical? Gideon had no idea what the symptoms of hysteria were, but thought vaguely that he might have heard once women were more prone to hysteria when pregnant. Still, he had no desire to let her continue hurling accusation at him; they were in the middle of a crowd and someone might overhear and think they had any basis in reality.

"I was only trying to get you out of the way of the spell," he protested weakly. "And I can fix your wand."

That was rather easier said than done, though — it was in at least three pieces and might splinter even further before he was able to get it under control, if it kept sputtering about like this.
Ellory was the terrible combination of someone who didn't pay attention to her surroundings and someone very dramatic. She was not, however, cruel. Petty, perhaps, but not mean, unless she was dealing with Antigone Lestrange.

"It's ruined!" Ellory complained about her wand.

SET BY MJ

"I can fix it," Gideon insisted again, though he still was not sure that he could. In the moment, however, all he wanted was to calm the young woman down. Explaining that she would likely need a new wand could be done when they were not in the middle of a crowd, or dealing with a wand that was still weakly sputtering curses. He wasn't sure which was the more pressing concern at the moment: the volatile young woman or the broken wand. He was doing his best to address both, and he'd just cast a charm to transfigure his gloves into a temporarily much sturdier fabric so that he could reach out and take hold of the wand without injuring himself. Luckily, he did this rather frequently, so he knew how to handle a damaged wand without causing any more collateral damage.
Ellory had started crying. "I'll take it to Ollivander's, I don't need your help!" she said childishly. It had been years since she had purchased her wand and it was always one of her servants that did the necessary wand maintenance at home, so she didn't recognize him as the wandmaker.

SET BY MJ

For a moment Gideon merely stared at her, unsure how to process this. Did she mean she'd take it to his brother's shop, in Diagon Alley, because she didn't trust him? That was rather extreme, when he'd just offered to fix it himself — but, oh, that was the trouble. She didn't know who he was, and why should she? It had been a good long while since he'd really been actively involved in the social scene, and she was considerably younger than him — she was probably still in Hogwarts when he'd been going to parties and balls and things.

"I am Ollivander," he said, rather awkwardly. She was crying now. He did not know what to do about this.
"I'm sure you and the baby are fine, Ellory. And if it helps to reassure you, we can stop by a healer on the way home - or they might have one here for the duel who will do in a pinch," Cornelia soothed weakly, not really desiring to cause a scene. She lowered her own wand, breaking off the charm with a quick flip, and tucked it away in her sleeve, assured that the man had Ellory's wand at least sort of under control now. At least to the point where it hopefully wouldn't set anyone else on fire.

Not paying it much mind, she pushed a coin towards the woman with the singed dress - assumedly enough to cover the damage of the material and turned back to her cousin. Gently she reached out to rest a hand on her sister-in-law's shoulder, a little unsure what she should do to comfort the woman other than trying to help. She wasn't really sure trying to offer her a hug in this context was the best choice. "How about this, Ellory, we can let Mr. Ollivander here take your wand to his workshop to see if it can be repaired and we'll go stop by the healer? While you see the healer, I can come back to talk to Mr. Ollivander about your wand and any possible repairs before taking you home?"

[Image: jIB0Db.gif]
[Image: zWKgm5.png?t=1&ZYGqqcWi]
set by the wonderful stef
"Alright," Ellory replied to her cousin, feeling somewhat embarrassed for not knowing that man was Mr. Ollivander.

SET BY MJ

Luckily, the other woman was intervening to deal with the whole... crying thing, which meant Gideon didn't have to. The broken wand was much more his speed. He didn't know if it was fixable, yet, but at least with that he knew where to start. He didn't have much experience with making women cry, or in comforting them when they did — unless one counted Billie, but that was different.

"You can come by the shop next week," he offered, as he wrapped her broken wand as delicately as possible in a handkerchief he'd removed from his pocket. "I should know the state of it by then." He wasn't sure if it was even going to be able to fix it, but it certainly wasn't going to happen in the next two hours.