Updates
Welcome to Charming
Welcome to Charming, the year is now 1894. It’s time to join us and immerse yourself in scandal and drama interlaced with magic both light and dark.

Where will you fall?

Featured Stamp

Add it to your collection...

Did You Know?
Queen Victoria was known for putting jackets and dresses on her pups, causing clothing for dogs to become so popular that fashion houses for just dog clothes started popping up all over Paris. — Fox
It would be easy to assume that Evangeline came to the Lady Morgana only to pick fights. That wasn't true at all. They also had very good biscuits.
Check Your Privilege

Private
Have We Reached The Word Count Yet?
January 10th, 1891 — Library

January was proving a terribly tedious month academic wise. They hadn't been taught anything of particular interest, save of the birth charts in Divination, perhaps. That being said, constructing your own birth chart was a boring task on its own. Elon preferred for this manual and boring bit to be done by someone else and then read about the interesting things, like how his Aquarius sun made him an intellectual.

He was at the library that afternoon because he and Miss Alice Dawson had been paired for a Charms project together. Something about pairs of Charms. It was a fun concept in practice, but writing about it was terribly tedious. Writing in general was tedious. Elon was much more of a talker than a writer.

"Don't you ever think that writing is pointless?" Elon was talking with his face resting on his hand, which was supported by the elbow on the desk. After their shared experience at the corn maze, Elon felt comfortable enough to be more open with her. "It's so boring to write assignments. Anything that is turned to work becomes boring. We should be learning for learning's sake, not make an errand out of it."

Alice Dawson Melody Crouch

Alice was both relieved and reluctant to work with Mr. Wildsmith, for while he wasn't any of the former friends she had difficulties with he also was an obvious person of privilege. From his attire to his supplies it was clear he had never struggled, never thought to skip a meal so his siblings might have more. Nor did he have to weigh the constant debate of continuing her education or returning home to work on the farm — both of which would help her family, but had drastic consequences either way. But, he wasn't Mr. Gillenwater or Sloane, or, worse, Edison. So, really, Alice shouldn't have thought to dread the project.

His comment suprised her. Thus far, Alice's experience with those better off than her family were the likes of the Thompsett's or the Potts'. And even they never thought to consider writing a waste of time. "Writing is an excellent study tool," she answered tactfully. His comment about work was a tad insulting, but she knew better than to voice such thoughts. Especially after the fiasco with Mr. Gillenwater. "The repetition helps to commit the lessons to memory."

Amazing set by Bee!
[Image: V14YYm.png]
"But the point isn't to memorize things, but to gain a deeper understanding," Elon commented. "Besides, if we need to memorize things, then that means they're not that useful or important. I never force myself to memorize anything. If it's worth knowing it, then it wouldn't take any effort to do so!"

Of course, Mr. Wildsmith had no need for the fundamentals of magic. It wasn't likely that he would ever need these basic charms in his daily life again. But, for Alice they were the difference between a career in a hospital or life stuck on the farm. "I think a great many people would disagree with you." She replied calmly. Distantly, Alice wondered what his grades were life, for the life of her she couldn't remember. "Natural talent only takes you so far. No great witch or wizard got there without writing a few things. Besides, you can charm a quill to dictate your words if you're not inclined to hold it yourself."

Elon gave Miss Dawson a cheeky smile. "You do have a point here! But my problem is..." He sighed and leaned back to his chair. "I find the whole concept of assignments so boring! Half of the things we're learning are so boring! Like these charms, for example! But I suppose this isn't as bad. What about that potions assignment we were given, with the birds' eyes! One could simply go to the hospital if they are ill, nobody else needs to know about how those eyes are to be used, unless they're masochistic enough to want to work there as well!" He signed and leaned towads Miss Dawson with a smile. "Don't tell Mr. Urquart I told you that!" He made sure not to mention around Elijah how boring he found the work of healers. His uncle was one, after all.

It was the second affront to her chosen path and it offended her all the same. Though, this time it wasn't someone she cared for, but a stupidly naive classmate. "Not everyone has the luxury of being able to afford the hospital," she replied in a tone just a shade away from hostile. Drawing back further from him, a frown took the place of the neutral smile she had mustered thus far. "Nor can you guarantee that you will always be in a place that has an accessible hospital. Knowledge isn't something to be frowned upon or discarded."

He must have struck a nerve. Elon would often say things that only later he realized were kind of wrong or offensive. This was one of them.

He didn't wish to offend Miss Dawson. He found her rather pleasant and smart and didn't wish to make an enemy off of her. The things she had brought up weren't ones that had passed Elon's mind but now that she had mentioned them, he could see she had somewhat of a point.

"Surely it's not that expensive to go to the hospital?" Elon asked sheepishly. "I mean, that is why it is public, so it is accessible to everyone!" The Wildsmiths had their own personal healers for their times of need.

He wasn't trying to antagonize Miss Dawson. He truly thought that because the hospital was public, it was affordable for most people. He also thought that the poorest people tended to have a skewed mindset, that made them think that things were much bleaker than they actually were! Besides, they were wizards. There were no poor wizards, not truly. True poverty was such a muggle thing because they didn't have their ability to better their situation. He had heard some of his father's friends discuss it at times, about how the poorest just weren't resourceful enough with their magic to escape poverty.

"It depends on the hospital, I'd imagine." Some might be more expensive than others depending on the area. Alice knew her family couldn't afford the town's healer more than once or twice a year at most, and that was in a year where the crops didn't fail too terribly. "Not all are open to the public, some are private. Those are more muggle hospitals, though."

She was trying not to be outright angry with Mr. Wildsmith — they still had work to do together — but should he continue prodding she wouldn't be able to maintain a calm demeanor. "And those that work in the hospitals only know how to do so through written words and repetition. Potions are so easy to brew incorrectly, especially when used for such a delicate art."

Amazing set by Bee!
"Well, I suppose people are lucky I have no ambitions of becoming a healer!" Elon said jokingly and offered Miss Dawson a smile, assuming that this would ease up the tension a bit.

"And what do you hope to do after graduation, then?" Alice asked in what she hoped to be a less tense tone. It wasn't his fault she was sensitive over healing as a profession. No, that fault laid entirely with Mr. Gillenwater.

Amazing set by Bee!
"I don't know, if I'm being honest," Elon replied with a mellow tone. "I do know that I wouldn't want to work. Not for the hospital, or the Ministry, or anywhere. That seems so terribly stifling. And I think it would be unfair to take up a position from the hands of someone who actually needs it." He added the last part because he was aware she was poor and he hoped he'd gain points in her favour.

"I suppose I will be a gentleman of leisure. Maybe write a book. I don't know, to be honest. And what about you, Miss Dawson?" She wasn't that bad looking and she was educated. She could maybe marry above her station! An accountant, maybe. That was a nice, middle-class job!

A gentleman of leisure! He was going to waste seven years with all the knowledge of the world at his finger tips to what?! Spend it in parlors? Dance with ditzy debutantes who were equally as uninformed as he? Alice's frown deepened as she shifted to the edge of her seat furthest from him. What a shameful life the wealthy lived.

"That's a pity, Mr. Wildsmith," Alice commented as she returned her attention to her work. "To be granted the life you have and to not use it for more than ... leisure ... it's a pity." She corrected a mistake on her page, taking careful measure to ensure her quill was properly inked before writing in the proper answer.

"I intend to be a healer. Plants and potions, most likely, or spell damage." She added then.

Amazing set by Bee!
Elon made a bit of a face and turned his eyes downwards. Her words had hurt him a bit. There were instances when he thought the same, that he ought to do something worthwhile in his life. Then, he thought of how he could never surpass Great Aunt Ignatia's accomplishments. Furthermore, he didn't really like anything enough to pursue it as a career. He loved dueling, but the closest thing to making it a career was becoming an auror and there was no way Elon Wildsmith could put in the effort and devotion into doing that. Perhaps he could become a professional duelist? Or a criminal.

He wished he had the familiarity to share his thoughts with Miss Dawson. He couldn't really talk about this with anyone. Elijah and Venusia wouldn't understand. While they were also wealthy, they had dreams and ambitions of their own. Furthermore, they didn't have any important relatives to surpass. At best, Elijah could simply not become a werewolf and be more successful than that disowned cousin of his.

He also felt somewhat bad for shit-talking healers before. He gave Miss Dawson a shippish smile. "Perhaps I could become your patron! Sponsor your research so you discover the cure of dragonpox, or lycanthropy. Then, you wouldn't have to work for a wage, you would be your own woman!" He was mostly joking, however. He couldn't really go around giving people money, at least not until he inherited. Still, he rather liked the thought of being a patron of the arts and sciences. He could live vicariously through other people's success.

"Oh, certainly not," Alice insisted, looking up at him with wide eyes. Sharing her sentiments and hopes for the future was not meant to inspire charity towards her future. Merlin, she was hardly able to stomach her Grandmother paying her tuition! "I will be quite happy to work for a hospital." Not to mention that having him as her patron would mean she would be indebted to him. No. No, most certainly not.

"I apologize if my response was hasty," she added after a moment with a faint blush on her cheeks. "I only meant that I don't dream to be extraordinary or notable. All I hope to do is help people, however that may happen."

Amazing set by Bee!
Elon couldn't imagine how working for anyone, anywhere, was in any ways a good thing. He would never have to work in his life and he was somewhat glad for that. There was something incredibly stifling by the idea of having to trade your labour for money.

"Don't you worry, Miss Dawson, I didn't think you were trying to extract pity at all! I was merely saying that if the one thing standing between yourself and brilliance was money, it would be my duty to be your patron. My family believes a lot in philanthropy, you see." In the years to come, he would likely come to find out that some of their philanthropic work was actually money laundering.

"But truly, wouldn't you want to have, say, your own hospital one day?"

Just what was Mr. Wildsmith positioning them towards? Alice never once dreamt of operating her own hospital, that wasn't how the universe worked for people like her. She would be happy enough to be a healer, and, perhaps one day, a healer in charge. And, of course, this was all only if she finished her education! Alice could hardly be expected to be a healer with no NEWTs.

"Mr. Wildsmith," she began, obviously uncomfortable with what she was about to say next. "Money isn't something to be waved about frivolously. "You and I aren't familiar enough with one another to make such agreements, and, quite frankly, being indebted to someone who doesn't understand the value of an education isn't something I'd much enjoy." She closed her books shut and stood from the table. "We ought to continue this tomorrow, have a good evening."

Amazing set by Bee!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Marie-Louise Prewett
December 18, 2021 – 11:13 PM
View a Printable Version