Cbox
Chat
UPDATES
Did you know?
Charming has a number of lonely plots looking for love. Why not take a gander and see what hijinks your character can get up to? — Kayte ( Submit your own)
Featured Adoptable

Agnes Binns for Zachariah Binns.
At least she means well?
He has touched my ankle and seen me with my hair down (not intentionally, of course!), so I'm pretty sure I already know what it feels like to be married.Helga Scamander in Helga's Boy Book
— Nominate a quote —
Featured Stamp
Complete seven threads where your character displays each of the Seven Deadly Sins — Pride, Lust, Sloth, Envy, Wrath, Gluttony, and Greed!
>
<

Future Leaders of Magical Britain
Private 
January 3rd, 1891 — An Empty Classroom

They still had the better part of an hour before curfew—not that that mattered a great deal, with the silver badge pinned to the front of Elijah's robes. The Christmas holidays had been fine, he supposed, but he was glad to be back at Hogwarts with his friends.

(The bottle of scotch pilfered from Uncle Caspar's stores did not hurt, either).

"I don't know why we have to bother with OWLs at all," Elijah bemoaned, not for the first time, as he handed the bottle to Crick. "Surely the professors know by now who has it, and who doesn't."

It, it went without saying, was an elusive combination of money, influence, and natural skill, something he and his companions all had in common.
@Venusia Crickerly @Elon Wildsmith

Elijah has heterochromia. His right eye is green and his left is blue.

MJ is a graphics goddess ❤ —
Crick took a sip from the bottle before she answered, and passed it on to Wildsmith. The scotch burned on its way down, but in a good way.

"As a counterpoint," she raised, "I no longer want to take classes with the stupid." She understood Elijah's point, but there were some children in their year who she would prefer to avoid, as well - and once they had taken all their OWLs, she would only be in NEWT classes with people who were up to snuff.

And she was always a little harsher, around the boys; it was a nice change of pace from the chatter she found herself doing around her female going-to-be-debutante friends.

[-] The following 2 users Like Venusia Crickerly's post:
   Elijah Urquart, Elon Wildsmith
Unlike his friends, Elon didn't care much about grades and being the smartest person in the room. Perhaps that was what put him in Ravenclaw instead of Slytherin. He had no ambitions. He was annoyed by stupid people like Venusia was, but perhaps not for the same reasons as her. He was simply bored by the lack of intellect and wit some people presented. In many ways, though, he was a poor student, because if something didn't interest him he wouldn't put any effort into it at all. That was why his grades fluctuated a lot. He could get an O in one assignment and then a D in the other one, for the same class.

He took the bottle from Venusia's hands and his heart fluttered a bit at the thought that her lips had touched its top. He took a generous swig from it and didn't hurry to give it back to Elijah, because it was his turn to speak.

"Yes, it is indeed pointless to take OWLs or NEWTs at all," Elijah agreed. "I mean, we don't need them. They're only needed for those who want to take up jobs. I don't intend to look for a job. It's so boring, I don't understand why anyone would want to have a job unless it was a necessity." He was aware that his friends likely had different opinions, coming from families with working fathers and caregivers. Elon's family was idle rich, thanks to one hard-working family member some centuries ago. Only Judith wanted to work, as some sort of rebellion to the status quo and the gender norms. Elon didn't understand her at all. It wasn't like she would be left without money and their parents weren't that strict about her marriage. They'd let her work at the Ministry, after all. He understood the girls whose only path in life was marriage and having babies, but she really didn't have it that bad at all. And then they called him privileged and spoiled, she was a bigger baby than he was!

"But what else is there for us to do with these next years if not pursue our studies?" Elijah asked with a sigh, casting a quick glance at the bottle still in Wildsmith's hands. "At least Crick could go for finishing, but my uncle is adamant I shall not have access to my funds until I come of age."

Elijah has heterochromia. His right eye is green and his left is blue.

MJ is a graphics goddess ❤ —
"I will not be going for finishing," Crick blurted without meaning to; she made a gesture for the bottle in Wildsmith's hands. She wanted a job; she could not tell the boys she wanted a job; at least an avoidance of finishing school was in character for her even without the job issue in question.

Elon didn't think that being a wage slave was a better alternative to sitting around and doing nothing. In Elijah's position, he would have asked his uncle for a sum of money, so he could use it to travel to some part of Asia, for the sake of conducting "research" on something. Men like them were supposed to be scientists, not workers. Work was for the lower classes, for those who couldn't have "philosopher and firecrab researcher" as their full-time job.

That being said, the conversation had stirred towards Venusia and her finishing (or lack thereof). He handed her the bottle, even though it was technically Elijah's turn.

"Did they betroth you, dear?" Elon asked in fake shock, though he would be shocked if she was indeed betrothed now.

Venusia wrinkled her nose. "Of course not, that would be very un-Italian of them," she said, and took a swig from the bottle. Betrothals almost certainly did exist in Italy, but Donetta Crickerly found them to be slightly gross, and Venusia quietly did as well. Marriages should be based off of mutual affection, as her parents' was. "But I would have to be dragged kicking and screaming to learn about - flower language, or whatever it is they teach girls at finishing school." She offered the bottle to Urquart.