Cbox
Chat
UPDATES
Did you know?
Charming has a number of lonely plots looking for love. Why not take a gander and see what hijinks your character can get up to? — Kayte ( Submit your own)
Featured Adoptable

Wallace Bixby for Sloane Bixby.
...tfw your little sister makes the house team before you do.
He has touched my ankle and seen me with my hair down (not intentionally, of course!), so I'm pretty sure I already know what it feels like to be married.Helga Scamander in Helga's Boy Book
— Nominate a quote —
Featured Stamp
Complete seven threads where your character displays each of the Seven Deadly Sins — Pride, Lust, Sloth, Envy, Wrath, Gluttony, and Greed!
>
<

The Deep
Private 
October 19th, 1890 — Plymouth

Alfred had one primary focus at the moment: being deemed worthy of marrying Zelda Fisk by her father. It might have seemed that with a singular goal, it would be easy to achieve or at least to make steady progress towards, but the problem was that Alfred had no idea whatsoever how to accomplish that. He thought trying to get her siblings to like him would probably help, and being more established would probably help. In order to be established, however, he needed money, and in order to get money he had to go out to sea doing work, which made it difficult to devote much time to getting her siblings to like him. He'd tried his best to find a series of short excursions to embark on throughout the winter months, so that he could keep up his income but not go away for so long as to be forgotten. This was one such contract — the Ministry had engaged him to sail one of their people out from Plymouth to investigate something out at sea. They hadn't told him much beyond that, and he'd gotten the impression that his might have been the name that came to mind for no other reason than that he had been at the forefront of their minds earlier this year when his entire ship had become infected with a pictish curse.

He reached up and thumbed his curse-laden earring as he waited for the Ministry representative to arrive, wondering what this adventure would have in store for him. The woman who appeared, however, was not at all who he was expecting. It must have been her, though; they were remote enough that it was unlikely she would have just happened by the docks while he was waiting there, and she was wearing Ministry robes, besides.

"Hi," he said awkwardly, recalling their last meeting when he had accidentally shipwrecked her and her friends. Hopefully not a sign of things to come. "I didn't realize you worked for the Ministry."

@Petra Sleptova

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the people to gather wood, divide the work, and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea.
The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
This was a good chance to prove how far she had come since starting at the Ministry, to show that she was now as capable as any other Unspeakable. At least any other Unspeakable minus the experience but that could only be gained over time. It felt strange to be leaving the Ministry for work purposes - while it wasn't the first time it wasn't that far from it.

She would probably have been a little less tense and a little more excited had she not known in advance who was to be captaining the boat she would have to take. Of all the magical sailors in the country... Surely he wasn't the only one? Had it been in her character to formally request a change of captain she would have. However, Petra felt to do so would be unwise for a whole host of reasons and so had to resign herself to her fate. That didn't mean she had to be happy about it though.

It did mean that she'd done a little hasty background reading about boats so that she wouldn't feel ignorant this time around should something go awry. At least she'd drown hopefully reaching for the right implement.

Pet braced herself as she neared the meeting point. Maybe he wouldn't remember her and it would be fine. This hope was immediately dashed only a half a minute later. It took all of her self-control to look professional and not incredibly uncomfortable. "Good day, Mr. Darrow," she replied stiffly. "And I didn't until earlier this year." She didn't want to seem haughty or rude but she feared that was how her awkwardness was presenting itself. Not that she felt like she owed him warmth and civility in particular, she just wanted to be professional and unbothered by any sort of prior knowledge of him, why was that too much to ask?

She ought to say something more like inquire after his health or some such pleasantry but she was having difficulty bringing herself to do so.

Thank you Bee for my stunning Secret Swap gift <3
"Oh," Alfred said, unsure of whether congratulations was in order or not. He also wondered if she'd worked there during the whole pictish ordeal. Did she know that he'd been cursed? (Or still was cursed?) He couldn't think of any nonchalant way to ask, though, and it wasn't as though it would really matter for the task at hand.

"So, um, where are we going?" Alfred asked. The letter had mentioned an approximate distance from shore, but nothing more. Presumably to discourage him from setting off there on his own — though he had no particular desire to go exploring cursed areas alone. "This is the boat we're taking," he said, indicating a twenty-foot rig nearby. "I assume that'll suffice? The letter said no more than an hour by sail to reach it."

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the people to gather wood, divide the work, and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea.
The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry