Updates
Welcome to Charming
Welcome to Charming, the year is now 1894. It’s time to join us and immerse yourself in scandal and drama interlaced with magic both light and dark.

Where will you fall?

Featured Stamp

Add it to your collection...

Did You Know?
Queen Victoria was known for putting jackets and dresses on her pups, causing clothing for dogs to become so popular that fashion houses for just dog clothes started popping up all over Paris. — Fox
It would be easy to assume that Evangeline came to the Lady Morgana only to pick fights. That wasn't true at all. They also had very good biscuits.
Check Your Privilege

Divination Pen Pals
Dated September 3rd

Dear Mr. Zabini,

How have you been? I am back at Hogwarts and I have some great news to share with you! We have a new professor for the subject of Divination, a Mrs. Edna Shacklebolt if you have heard of her. She is a Seer and quite experienced in our field. I approached her and we are going to establish a club for Divination lovers here at Hogwarts. I was offered the position of the president. I felt somewhat strange, to be honest. I don't believe that I deserve it, seeing that I do not have the Sight. Nonetheless, I am very honoured.

There are times when I feel like such an impostor, compared to people who actually have the Gift for Divination. I feel that I only see what I want to see in the cards, or in the other mediums. I suppose there are school of thoughts that claim this exactly: that we take a look into our deepest thoughts and desires, rather than predict the future. In any case, I often feel like a fraud.

I am also working on a start chart for myself. I confess that I have always been intimidated by Astromy, which is why I have been putting it off for so long. Do you know your placements? It would be a fun activity to compare our placements. For the purposes of me practicing, of course. I have enclosed my star chart, I hope you can make out the planet names.

Yours,
Ruby Urquart

Savino Zabini Elias Grimstone

Ruby-MJ
set by MJ
6th September, 1890

Dear Miss Urquart,

Very well, thank you! (Even though your Ministry really does not like to give people permission to access records at the library that have been sealed by their Department of Mysteries.) But I am pleased to hear about your new professor - I have not heard much about her, but would be interested to meet any professor of Divination! - and very excited to hear about the club! Some friends and I were part of a similar society, and I would gladly send you some of our reading materials if they weren’t mostly in Italian.

Tell me how the club goes. Though I think you are being hard on yourself, here: you have Jupiter in the second house on your chart, you know, so growth will come from having some self-confidence. Besides, you’re not a fraud. Anyone who studies Divination knows very well that having the Sight is not truly the most important thing! Some of the most famed Seers in the world have only had one or two grand prophecies in a lifetime, and even those are nearly useless without someone having the right mindset or the tools to interpret them. Your Professor will tell you the same thing, I’m sure. Seeing the future and understanding it are very different things.

Anyway, that’s why the people who dismiss the discipline for its... well, lack of discipline... will never see anything of the future, because they refuse to recognise it even when it is right in front of their eyes. An open mind and self-awareness are always more important, and even Seers can waste their gifts because they’re too afraid to look to the future. Or inward, for that matter. There is something to be said even for changing one’s own future by learning to be honest with oneself.

On that note, I’ve drawn up my birth chart for your practice. Tell me something about myself - and be as honest as you like. I am enjoying looking at yours, Miss Urquart: and with an ascendant in Leo, it looks like you’ll make an excellent leader!

Yours,
Savino Zabini

9th September, 1890

Dear Mr. Zabini,

Perhaps we could arrange a meeting with Professor Shacklebolt during one of my Hogsmeade weekends, or over the holidays? I might have mentioned her to you once or twice. It is so rare to find people with such passion for our art.

Your words are very kind and reassuring. I suppose you have a point, it is no good having the Sight if you cannot understand what you are seeing. Furthermore, I have heard of instances of people having the Sight being put off by the art of Divination. They find their gift too big of a burden and they try to push it deep into their shadow.

We'll see about my ascendant and my leadership abilities! So far, the club has been running smoothly. I would also greatly enjoy any reading material you might send me! I do hope you are granted permission into the more restricted sections of the library. I could ask my Father if you could be given permission to some of the books that are more available to the public, he's the Head of the Department, you know. I wish he could speak about what they do in there.

Now, onto your chart. I could not help but notice that our moon signs were incredibly compatible - Taurus and Capricorn. This explains why I felt so at ease in your company, we have a similar way of processing our emotions! I do not think you are as harsh as a Capricorn, though.

I definitely have a long way ahead of me until I am well versed in Astrology. I confess that up until now, I knew the very basics when it comes to one's sun sight. It is such an interesting tool for discovering oneself.

Yours,

Ruby Urquart

Ruby-MJ
set by MJ
[/correspondence in between]

10th January, 1891

Dear Miss Urquart,

How are you? I hope the new term did not begin too busily for you. It is not long left to go for you, is it — Incantima is eight years of study, but I believe at Hogwarts seventh is your last?

I am just writing because I happened across an advertisement on the community bulletin in Hogsmeade this weekend, and read about the services offered by one Madam Synastra. You would not happen to know of her, would you? It is only that her endeavour seems strikingly like one that you mentioned you might undertake, and it would be terribly bad luck if you had a new rival in business so soon! (Not to mention I would want to track her down myself.)

But I suspect she will be very popular. I hope you will let me know how it goes.

Yours,
Savino Zabini

Ruby Urquart

The following 1 user Likes Savino Zabini's post:
   Seneca Lestrange

12th of January, 1891
Dear Mr. Zabini,

I am well and I hope you are well too! Though I confess I glimpsed at what is in store for your Sun sign and unless I am mistaken, you should be well!

I do not take many classes on a NEWT level, so my schedule isn't particularly busy. I suppose it is weird to know that these are my final four months at Hogwarts. You are correct, our education lasts seven years instead of Incantima's eight.

It is somewhat embarrassing, but I confess that I am Madam Synastra. I was feeling terribly insecure, but Jupiter seemed to be in a favourable position and on a whim, I decided to post the ad. As vulgar as that may sound to a gentleman such us yourself, I wish to have my own source of income, so I am not a burden upon my father. That is not to say that our family is struggling, but I know that he wants the best for us and if I can earn my own money, I want to do so. Besides, I have certain things planned for the summer, so I want to have all the pocket money I can have!

That being said, I do not have any flocks of customers yet, only a young woman who I might lose because I gave her a rather ominous Tarot reading! Oh, I so wish I could have told her nice things, but it is our duty to give those who trust us the warnings shown on the cards!

Yours,
Ruby Urquart

Ruby-MJ
set by MJ
15th January, 1891

Dear Miss Urquart,

The stars were quite right, I am very well. And I had an inkling, but I am delighted to hear it! Of course it does not sound vulgar! How could there be anything wrong in wanting to forge one’s own path? And even better if you can pursue your passions in the process, I think.

It is good of you to be honest with those who write to you, though - I confess I have frequently felt the temptation to try and soften the worst kind of readings for other people, so they do not hex the messenger... but in the end obliviousness and denial will not help them face their fate, nor change it. Much better that you tell them all the truth you can. Besides, I am convinced you are kind enough to break any bad news gently!

It does occur to me that I am accidentally very privileged to have gotten a Tarot reading and my star chart from the already-esteemed Madam Synastra, free of charge! Are you sure I should not donate to her cause, having taken such terrible advantage of her talents?

As for these things planned for the summer - are they a secret, or should I take another look at your stars, and see if I can’t work out what you intend?

Yours,
Savino Zabini

18th of January, 1891
Dear Mr. Zabini,

It is not the rule but rather the exception for a woman to work. Besides, a different person would make the horrible assumption that my father is unable to provide for me because I seek to earn my own money, which is certainly not the case! I suppose it was instilled to me and my siblings that money should be earned and that we shouldn't sit around waiting on our privilege.

You need not pay me for my services, they were extended to you because I felt like assisting you, as a friend. I suppose you could pay me in a way and that is tied to these plans I mentioned.

You see, instead of a coming-out ball, my father has promised to fund a trip to Italy in the summer. I am to visit the places most related to the arts — Florence, in particular. I do not suppose you could find an excuse to visit home during those weeks so you could be my tour guide? You understand that this would need to occur "accidentally", though I am sure my Papa wouldn't mind if I were to tell him I have a friend there. We would have a chaperone and all, so it is not like he'd need to worry.

Yours,
Ruby Urquart

Ruby-MJ
set by MJ
26th January, 1891

Dear Miss Urquart,

As your father is a former Minister of Magic, I am certain that at least in your case no one expects he cannot provide for his family! But it sounds like he has taught you well - and in any case if he has promised to let you go travelling I like him all the better for it!

I would like to travel a great deal more myself if my duties for my grandfather’s company did not keep me tied down in places for longer than I might wish - but fortunately these duties can easily coincide with some time spent back in Italy, so it would be my pleasure to be your official tour guide! I am sure we can make it seem perfectly coincidental, and I am sure I could keep you out of trouble there. (And if you are to go on your own ‘Grand Tour’, as I think the British call it, it cannot hurt that you have extra funds of your own on which to enjoy yourself while you are away.)

It is probably far too soon to plan where you would like to go, but I hope you will forgive me for sending along with this letter a book of mine which contains some of Italy’s best artworks and where they are found, should you not want to miss visiting your favourites or find new interests in browsing it. It is in Italian, I am afraid, so it may not be entirely useful, but the photographs may still give you some ideas.

Yours,
Savino

8th of February, 1891
Dear Mr. Zabini,

Do forgive me for not writing to you sooner, I got deep into reading, one of the books being the one you sent me. It appears that Hogwarts' library is truly vast, for I managed to find a dictionary for Italian. I am in no way fluent in Italian, but I did try to translate some of the passages that caught my interest. Some of the words were very similar to incantations. It must be really easy for you to learn new spells.

The other book I was reading was on the subject of astrocartography! I found it very fascinating, though difficult too. I believe that San Fransisco in the United States and some spot in the Arabian Peninsula are places where I could truly shine, seeing that the lines of my Sun pass through them. Do you know yours?

In any case, we could use it to plan our trips in Italy? Perhaps we could discover places even you haven't been at. I certainly haven't been to every place in the United Kingdom!

Fondly,
Ruby

Ruby-MJ
set by MJ
17th February, 1891

Dear Ruby,

My turn to apologise for not writing sooner. Though you are to blame for that, really - but more on that later. I have to say I am surprised and impressed that the library is so well stocked, but I’m glad the book was useful. As for spells - yes, I suppose it is easier. I never thought about it. For Latin incantations, anyway: the Greek ones are still impossible to me!

As for astrocartography, I had never encountered anyone using the stars in quite that way. Not amongst my friends in Italy, anyway! But I have been working up a chart since then and I confess it is very interesting - I have found a lot of locations in North America where my lines cross, places where I should find valuable new contacts and important lines of communication - I think this means other Seers. Thank you so much for mentioning it - you don’t know how glad I am to have met you!

And in truth I have always wanted to visit America anyway, so maybe we’ll cross paths there one day too.

(But Italy first, definitely - I’m sure we can find some new places to go.)

Hoping to

see you soon,
Savino

The following 2 users Like Savino Zabini's post:
   Camilla Prewett, Ruby Urquart

19th of February 1891

Dear Savino,

I do not suppose your like cross anywhere near the Georgia state? My mother was from there, you see. I do not think I've mentioned that my mother was American. (Next time we see each other I will talk to you with her accent, I believe I'm quite good at sounding like someone born and bred in America!) I've never been to the United States and I really want to, especially to my mother's homelands.

Are you looking, then, for other seers? I am also really glad to have met you - an actual seer! It is rare to find people with such love for the Divination arts. Even most of my classmates don't take the arts very seriously. I do not know why people think Divination is a silly art. I would understand the scepticism from muggles, but we are wizards. If we can transfigure things and brew potions and teletransport, why should it be so improbable that we may be able to see into the future? People also take Arithmancy more seriously, which could also be considered a Divine art! But I suppose numerology sounds more scientific than Astrology, simply because it uses numbers whereas Astrology has fancy sounding constellations.

Are the divine arts more respected in Italy?

Yours,
Ruby

Ruby-MJ
set by MJ
23rd February, 1891

Dear Ruby,

I don’t know much about the geography of the United States, to be honest, but I do want to travel there. I definitely had no idea that your mother was American - you had better keep that promise and speak in an American accent!

I am always looking for other Seers - and people who have any kind of Divination talent, truly. It is just what you say about Divination being underestimated, but even Seeing is such an under-studied thing, and every Seer so different that there can only be good done from meeting like-minded people. If we can pool resources, and complement our visions and readings and studies, who knows how far into the future or how much of it we could begin to see? You or I can get glimpses of what is destined to happen, but - what is the saying, two heads are better than one? We can learn so much more if we combine our findings. Some Seers are better at directing their talents than others; there is always a chance we can complement one another’s work.

And - as you understand well - the more we can see about the future coming, the better off we will be for it. It can change how we think and act and I don’t know why people don’t seem to see that - maybe because it isn’t simple, and isn’t always straightforward or clear - but if Divination helps them with something in their lives, I believe they might one day come around.

I cannot say it is altogether more respected in Italy, but I did have a few interested friends there. And I believe in America there is generally a growing interest in Divination, so we will definitely both have to see if that’s so!

Yours,
Savino

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Ruby Urquart
January 6, 2021 – 12:33 PM
View a Printable Version