Updates
Welcome to Charming
Welcome to Charming, the year is now 1894. It’s time to join us and immerse yourself in scandal and drama interlaced with magic both light and dark.

Where will you fall?

Featured Stamp

Add it to your collection...

Did You Know?
Queen Victoria was known for putting jackets and dresses on her pups, causing clothing for dogs to become so popular that fashion houses for just dog clothes started popping up all over Paris. — Fox
It would be easy to assume that Evangeline came to the Lady Morgana only to pick fights. That wasn't true at all. They also had very good biscuits.
Check Your Privilege

See Inside
The Sorting Ceremony {1890}

"Gryffindor!"

Mateo was beyond excited and nervous to be sorted. He stood with the gaggle of first years as the numbers lessened, his Zavala surname ensuring that he was among the last handful to be sorted. And soon enough it was his turn to sit upon the stool as the sorting hat fell over his brown curls - and a little over his eyes too.

"Now you've waiting a while, haven't you? Let's see then..."

You can never ride a broomstick again, how would you deal with that?

Which class are you least looking forward to?

Your classmate has been peering over your shoulder and copying your work in class, what do you do?

You make it onto your house quidditch team but you overhear the team captain saying how you only made the team because of your brother's reputation. How does this affect you?

Which is more important: loyalty or honesty; skill or purpose; foresight or hindsight?

There is a thunderstorm at your brother's quidditch match, a bolt of lightning is about to strike him but you have the power to save him by deflecting it. However in deflecting it you will fatally electrocute multiple members of the opposite team. What do you do?

Mateo Zavala

The hat was speaking inside his head! That was quite the thing to experience. His brow furrowed in response to the first question.  You can never ride a broomstick again, how would you deal with that? It was a horrible thing to have to consider. "I don't rightly know. I would be inconsolable but I suppose I would find other hobbies to take up my time." Maybe he would start an informal club that tried out playing Quidditch on magic carpets.

Which class are you least looking forward to? "Probably History of Magic. You don't learn any spells and it seems like it might be a terrible bore." Besides, he was all about looking towards the future, not the past.

Your classmate has been peering over your shoulder and copying your work in class, what do you do? "I would just try to hide my work from his prying eyes. I wouldn't turn him in though because I ain't no snitch." Besides, telling on the person would just get him ousted by the person and their friends and who knew whether or not they would decide to gang up on him? No thanks. 

You make it onto your house quidditch team but you overhear the team captain saying how you only made the team because of your brother's reputation. How does this affect you? "I would be annoyed but would be extra determined to prove that I am an actually skilled player and more than just my brothers little brother. I would make sure I was one of the hardest working members of the team. I want to achieve my own glory in my own right."

Which is more important: loyalty or honesty; skill or purpose; foresight or hindsight? "I think loyalty is more important than honesty. A lie told to make sure a friend doesn't get hurt is worth more than being honest, in my opinion." He pondered the next question. Skill or purpose? "I think purpose. Without a clear purpose, there is no use for skills. You need a purpose to be working towards." He didn't know if he had answered that the way it was meant to be answered but he was sticking with it. "I think foresight is more important than hindsight. There is not much that you can do about things that have already passed."

There is a thunderstorm at your brother's quidditch match, a bolt of lightning is about to strike him but you have the power to save him by deflecting it. However in deflecting it you will fatally electrocute multiple members of the opposite team. What do you do? Mateo felt sick at the idea of anything happening to his beloved brother. Could he sacrifice a lot of people to save his own brother? One person over many? He thought it through very carefully before providing an answer even though it broke his little heart to even think it. "I would not deflect it. It is not right to sacrifice many for selfish reasons or just one person." But would he really? He wanted to be a good person and a good person would think about the good of as much people as possible, right? This was all a bit much for the eleven year old to be pondering when he could feel his tummy starting to grumble.

"Gryffindor!"

Andy watched as the other kids were being sorted into the four houses. He had no idea where he would be sorted. His mother was a Muggle and she didn't fully understand the concept of houses. His father was a Slytherin and Andy hated him, but so was his grandmother whom he loved. His grandfather, on the other hand, was a Hufflepuff. In short, he wasn't raised in a household that had a bias for a particular house.

Finally he was called upon the stool. Andy's heart raced as he realised he'd walk in front of the entire school. The process seemed quick and simple and yet he was worried he would mess things up somehow and his sorting would take forever.

"Well now, this is interesting..."

Imagine a room that only appears to those in need of something and when it does it contains exactly what the finder needs most. Suppose you came across such a room, what do you think you'd find inside?

You can have the thing you want most but the cost is the most terrible thing you can think of. What would you do?

You are temporarily transfigured into a garden gnome for 24 hours. What do you do?

An important essay is due first thing tomorrow and you only find out about it from your classmate just as you're settling into bed. What do you do?

Some students start to pick on you, what do you do about it?

What are you most likely to get in trouble for?

Andy Vainart

Once the hat was on his head, Andy was fully immersed into the experience.

His answer to the first question was instant: "A father." Then he thought that was a somewhat stupid answer. "I mean, I would see my father somehow fixed. He would be loving and responsible. He'd love my mama and he'd want to take care of his family, unlike what he's actually like."

It was a far fetched answer, but it felt just right.

He thought of the second question in regards to his daddy issues once again. The most terrible thing he could think of was losing his mother. "No, I would never give up my mother, even if it meant having a great father. She was there for me when he wasn't. I would never betray her like that."

The third question was more light hearted. Kinda. "Well, it depends on if I knew that it's for 24 hours. If I had that knowledge, then I'd see it as an opportunity to experience what's like to be a garden gnome. Otherwise I'd panic, I guess. I wouldn't want to be a garden gnome forever, that would be no fun."

The Hat asked another question. Andy saw Hogwarts as an opportunity to better himself, so he could one day take care of his mother, like his father never did. He would also marry someone and start a family and try to "fix" his childhood by being the best father possible. So he answered: "I would get up immediately and get it done. I can't afford to be a failure."

The fifth question was on bullying. Andy was never really picked on by others but he was never popular amongst the boys either. He always preferred hanging out with girls. He remained low-key. "I would try to befriend them. Or at least the friendlier one of the group. I'd also make sure to be closer to my friends. People tend to pick on loners."

He thought about the final question. "Honestly, I don't know. I was always the good kid." He rarely got angry, only at his father. Honestly, his teachers at the Irvingky school thought he was an angel. And his employers always trusted him.

"Hufflepuff!"

Alina was anxious to be sorted. She didn't really care which house she was, as long as it was to her benefit. Years of trying to read what she could reasonably get her hands on. Part of her just truly wanted to rise above those of her parents and siblings. Was it a thirst for knowledge or power? She wasn't sure. Could never tell. Just wanted - no, needed - to succeed in her goals.

Page would be joining her in the next year, and Alina wasn't sure if she could handle the very idea of her parents taking her out of school for the sake of her siblings going. She actually wanted success. Could the same be said for them? Fiachna was the only sibling thus far to find a noteworthy career for herself. Would Alina's job and Fiachna's wages be convincing enough for the MacRae parents to allow several siblings to stay at Hogwarts. First year tuition was free, but what of everything else?

Everyone else seemed to be quite concerned about what house they would get and whether or not they would make friends. How many were as concerned about their future as she was. Did the hat really make a difference when it came to Alina's potential future? She supposed she would find out as her name was called upon.

Magic by Lady!
"Alright then..."

Choose a root vegetable: horseradish, celery, potato, beetroot.

You rush onto Platform 9 3/4 a second too late and see the Hogwarts Express pulling away from the platform. Your family members have already gone. What do you do?

Amortentia, felix felicis, wit-sharpening potion, calming draught, invisibility potion, elixir to induce euphoria. Which of these potions would you choose and why?

Finish this thought: "Mistakes are…"

What makes you happiest?

Why do you want to play quidditch?

Alina MacRae

This was it. And a hat was now talking inside her head. So her siblings weren't pulling some inside joke on her, good to know.

Choose a root vegetable: horseradish, celery, potato, beetroot.

What a peculiar question. Was it for taste or practicality? Her main thought was practicality, at any rate. "Potato. They always seem the most filling in an empty belly."

You rush onto Platform 9 3/4 a second too late and see the Hogwarts Express pulling away from the platform. Your family members have already gone. What do you do?

Well that was certainly a far different question. One that would have sent ice cold panic through her. What was to be done? "Floo! To Hogsmeade, wherever I could find some. The express picks students up there I believe, or it could even lead to a walk up to the school."

Amortentia, felix felicis, wit-sharpening potion, calming draught, invisibility potion, elixir to induce euphoria. Which of these potions would you choose and why?

Simply choose a potion? Just for... what? Fun? Her life didn't really leave much room for fun. Amortentia didn't seem a realistic choice, what use was it? Truly? The others at least had fair uses. "I suppose it really depended on my situation. If I had to choose right now, perhaps the wit-sharpening potion?"

Finish this thought: "Mistakes are…"

It took a bit of hesitation on this one. "... their own obstacle."

What makes you happiest?

Happiest? Another one to really think about. "Certainty. Or, better yet, a feeling of accomplishment."

Why do you want to play quidditch?

Her parents had asked her that very same question. She had asked herself that very same question. To prove something? To accomplish something? No, that didn't feel right. "I-I guess... to feel free." That was likely the most she had hesitated since wearing the hat.

Magic by Lady!

"Ravenclaw!"

The following 1 user Likes The Sorting Hat's post:
   Alina MacRae
Yuri had always thought of himself as a confident kid, but he had to admit that as he stood, in his brand new uniform (the first new clothing he had ever owned) he was nervous. The cap he had brought with him, from his old life was clasped in his fingers, and he wrung it nervously. When his name was called he hesitantly stepped up and took a seat on the small stool as the hat was plopped onto his head. He didn't want to think about the fact that everyone in the long room was watching him.

[Image: bCfWJzS.png]
MJ Made Beautiful Things!
"Now then, let's have look..."

What does forgiveness mean to you?

Why are you reluctant to be here?

When life seems overwhelming and difficult, what stops you from giving up?

You have a bowl of soup and some bread. You know that eating the bread and soup will fill you up perfectly. However, you're with two other people who are also very hungry and have no food at all. One is your friend, the other a stranger. What do you do?

There's something you want very much, how do you go about obtaining it?

Is there anything about Hogwarts you're looking forward to?

Yuri Podsnapper

What in Merlin's beard was this? He thought with a fresh rush of anxiety. 

What does forgiveness mean to you? the voice asked, and not knowing if he had to think his answer or speak it he concentrated on it really hard, his tongue sticking out as he thought really hard. 

'Um, I guess it's being okay with what someone did, like not pretending it didn't happen but not being angry about it anymore.'

Why are you reluctant to be here?

'People have always thought I was a bad'un, and people here will probably think I'm a bad'un too but don't want to people to think I'm all bad'un' that thought came unbidden to him before he could stop it, and if someone had asked him to speak his answer he wouldn't have said anything like that. 

When life seems overwhelming and difficult, what stops you from giving up?

'That was a hard one,' he mused, 'I don't got no choice, if I stop I starve, life's always been difficult, I've always been 'ungry, I've always been cold and a-feared, but I give up the arseholes win!'  he then realised he had cussed 'Sorry' he added quickly, when he had sworn at the home he had gotten lashes and he wasn't sure if that's how it worked here too...or if the hat would dob in him. 

You have a bowl of soup and some bread. You know that eating the bread and soup will fill you up perfectly. However, you're with two other people who are also very hungry and have no food at all. One is your friend, the other a stranger. What do you do?

'Share it wit them' he explained, it wouldn't be the first time, he was always hungry, he had never been full, and he knew it was better to have a little bit of something than lots of stuff when his friend didnt have none.  There were times when strangers had been nice to him and given him food, so he tried to share his food whenever he could.

There's something you want very much, how do you go about obtaining it?
He felt his jaw twitch and strain, He wasn't proud of the answer 'I'd....steal it.' for some reason admitting that to the strange talking hat brought fat embarassed tears to his eyes. 

Is there anything about Hogwarts you're looking forward to?

'The food, the nice warm bed, and the maybe...some friends' he finished, feeling a bit foolish for being so honest.

[Image: bCfWJzS.png]
MJ Made Beautiful Things!

View a Printable Version