Cbox
Chat
UPDATES
Did you know?
There's almost always some sort of IC event taking place—simply check out the board calendar to see what's happening! — Kayte ( Submit your own)
Featured Adoptable

James Montgomery for Ester Montgomery.
Wait, your wife did what?!
"I'll bleed wherever I damn well please!" She shouted, scowling at him. As if to prove it, she uncovered her nose and shook her head back and forth like a dog attempting to dry its fur of water. Little droplets of blood rained on the sidewalk all willy-nilly. Billie Farrow in A Good Dusting
— Nominate a quote —
Featured Stamp
Participate by filling in YOUR bracket and completing at least one related thread (10+ posts).
>
<

Into the Wild
Private 
April  30th, 1890 — Podmore zoological garden

Since the events of the days before, Maddie had spent a lot of time alone - and outside.  As far away from Ana and Georgi as she could engineer - lest she say something she regretted to either while still steaming angry.  And she was angry - it was a rare for her to spend time stewing on things like this. She was more likely to accept whatever had happened in a stoic manner than to simmer as she had.  The knowledge that Ana had been keeping her mail from her, or limiting what mail she could send out had hit her like a punch to the stomach. 

She needed to get away from everything, everyone and just think.  The Zoological garden, was as good a place as any.  It was still too cold, too early in the season for there to be much interest. It had proven to be a good idea, there were no crowds and she was able to get the best spots to see all of the animals. She thought perhaps working with the animals was one of the most interesting jobs one could imagine - for the most part they looked cuddly and cute, - even the vicious ones like lions and tigers - just giant cats that she would dearly love to cuddle - if she could be guaranteed that they wouldn't maul her. The elephants were so massive- and the way the baby ones flapped their ears as they ran brought a smile to her lips. The mixture of magical and muggle animals was a pleasant distraction from the realities of her life. 

When she reached the erumpet enclosure she seated leaned on the railing overlooking the encloure, the cool metal of the rail grounding her, and rather melodramatically considering throwing herself in - well not really, she was just bone weary and decided fed up.  Her mind was miles away, when someone spoke beside her, she turned her head to answer, her long blonde tresses whipping around her face in a mailstrom as the spring breeze caught her undone hair and worried it.  She was unfussy today, natural and unpreened, very different to the girl that had been trotted out to parties for the last few years. 

[Image: 3tPS0x.png]
Kit made a lovely gift! <3
Pablo tended to gravitate towards the zoo often though he was getting restless once more. He needed something new to do, probably. He idly wondered when Alfreds next expedition would be. One would think that he would stay put after what he had been through already but he had gone on the Avalon expedition and would very likely be the first to sign up on the next one.

He had been wandering about the zoo as he tended to do before deciding to say hello to Una's Oscar. "Hello, Oscar," he called out in greeting into the enclosure before realizing the blond girl standing next to him had turned as if to answer him. "Oh sorry, I was addressing that erumpent there," he said pointing. "His name is Oscar."

lovely set by lady
Confused for a moment by the greeting, she was glad when he clarified and allowed herself a laugh at the explanation that Oscar was the animal in the pen before them. ’Does Oscar often answer?’ she questioned with a bright smile, the teasing implication that the gentleman might be mad if he had routine conversations with the Erumpet. Maddie swept a stray strand of hair from her face. ’I only ask because if he is an excellent conversationalist I might beg an introduction.’ She had the vaguest thought that she might recognise him, not from society, but from the media perhaps.

"In his way - animals are quite intelligent, really," Pablo said, smiling as Oscar played in the water in his enclosure. "And a lot remember those who are kind to them and sadly, those were not. Oscar, for example, was rescued by magizoologist Una Walsh and now seems to see her as a mother of sorts and recognizes her instantly." Pablo was quite happy to count himself among those that tended to be kind to animals. "But sadly I do not think he would make quite a conversationalist. I would be happy to oblige, however." Pablo was a sociable bloke and loved meeting new people.

lovely set by lady
The erumpet was cute in an odd way, its bulbous head and forlorn expression was so innocent looking, and his story about being bonded to one of the zoo keepers was pretty adorable. Maddie had once thought about a life working with animals, she had loved care of magical creatures in school, a true Hufflepuff, sympathic to the core – the sort of person who would find a wounded rattlesnake on the sidewalk, nurse it back to health and be shocked when it bit her. The idea of being cruel to a creature, either through intent, or apathy was entirely alien to her.

As he offered to take the animals place in the conversation, Maddie turned from facing the erumpet enclosure, to resting on her hip facing him, leaning on one arm on the railing. ’Pleasure to meet you sir,’ she breezed, ’do you work at the zoo?’ she gestured around them to the other enclosures, ’Is one of these enclosures deeply bonded to you?’

Pablo smiled as the blond turned to facing him. "I'm a magizoologist but I don't work for the zoo. I do come here often enough, however," Pablo said, understanding fully how she might have gotten the idea that he might work here. As for deeply bonded enclosures, he had to chuckle. "The goats tend to be rather fond of me, I suppose." They were adorable goats, too.

lovely set by lady
She laughed lightly as he remarked about the fondness of goats. It was such an odd statement and she didn’t know what had precipitated it but it was the sort of quirky self deprecation that appealed to her greatly. He hadn’t chosen to be braggadocios – claiming some wild or exotic animal, nothing feared him, he wasn’t trying to be self aggrandising.

His face was familiar, now that she was looking at him properly. ’Oh!’ she exclaimed with a spark of excitement and recognition, ’Pardon sir! But are you the gentleman who was aboard that ship!’ she searched her memory for the name of the ship! ’the sycorax!’ she exclaimed as it came to her.

Pablo wasn't sure what had prompted her sudden exclamaton but he could see recognition lighting in her eyes. And then it became clear where she had recognized him from. He did recall that he had been told that Witch Weekly had published his image when they had published that article about him and Alfreds return. He wondered how much of it she had believed if she had read it. Then again, she would be unlikely to be excited to meet an alleged cannibal but who knew with ladies these days?

Of course, she could also have read Alfreds book. Michaud had included an illustration of himself in some of the scenes centered around himself, Alfred and the cabin boy they had survived with.

"One of the two at any rate - I'm Pablo Medina."

lovely set by lady
Maddie smiled, ’Mister Medina! Yes!’ she exclaimed, she had indeed read the books, and pretty much anything she could get her hands on about the expedition. It had fascinated her! How she would have loved to have run off on a similar type of adventure when she finished schooling, once upon a time she had all but planned to, but when her grandfather had died and everything had changed those plans had been stowed away like fairy stories, books for childhood and not suitable for adult dreams. ’I will admit to having been fascinated with the story of your expedition, before and after your misadventure.’ she declared, it was honest, perhaps overly so, but there was little to be gained by pretending to be anything other than fascinated.

Pablo smiled at her excitement. He was more or less used to it by now. Ladies were either put off or rather excitable with those few exceptions that simply didn't care about any of it. "I don't blame you. It was quite the fascinating experience to live through," Pablo said with a chuckle. "But it has not killed love of adventure in me - I went on my friends next expeditions despite my family questioning my sanity."

lovely set by lady
Her second adventurer in as many weeks – was the universe perhaps telling her something? ’Have you anything excited on the cards at the moment?’ she asked, her tone airy and overcome with excitement, her mind already imagining the gentleman at the helm of a ship, shading his eyes from the sun and looking towards the horizon. There were times she could imagine herself somewhere like that, hanging from ropes, her wind and dress whipping in the wind, salt wind and spray dampening her sun blessed skin.