Updates
Welcome to Charming
Welcome to Charming, the year is now 1894. It’s time to join us and immerse yourself in scandal and drama interlaced with magic both light and dark.

Where will you fall?

Featured Stamp

Add it to your collection...

Did You Know?
Queen Victoria was known for putting jackets and dresses on her pups, causing clothing for dogs to become so popular that fashion houses for just dog clothes started popping up all over Paris. — Fox
It would be easy to assume that Evangeline came to the Lady Morgana only to pick fights. That wasn't true at all. They also had very good biscuits.
Check Your Privilege

Charming Confessions 2.0
The last time I lost a character in an AC unintentionally was Ixion Swift in April of 2012. I've always preferred to have a smaller group of more active characters, and I've been pretty good at managing my own activity levels and scaling back when I need to. This past summer things have sort of spiraled, though. I get online and owe All The Posts, and I'll go through and knock out a significant number of them - all except one or two characters, say. Then I'll come in the next week and do the same thing, so I feel like I'm managing it and then all of the sudden I get to a character that I haven't cycled through recently and realize all their threads are dead/a day or three away from dying.

It's not even boring threads or characters I'm lacking muse for (because I am totally guilty of 'forgetting' to reply to threads when they are unamusing and just keep dragging on, sometimes >>). I get to that character's threadlog and I literally didn't realize it had been a month since I posted them until I see the dates on their threads. Where is all this time going?

Anyway, it's just a fluke of dates that I haven't lost folks in ACs so far this summer and I'm not looking forward to breaking my record, but it seems inevitable at this point.

It's also making me very hesitant to revive anyone... like I want Tib back soon, but a part of my brain is scoffing and saying 'you think you're going to keep Tiberius active (who historically has the least going on of any LynnCharacter at any given time) when you're letting Lyra's threads die? Come on, now.'

When I made Ellsworth I had planned to hold off until the holiday break. As much as I wanted a Hogwarts professor I didnt want to keep adding characters willy nilly and suddenly neglect someone. That was before I realized I had 13 characters after Hudson. I was so worried about the unlucky 13 cast I had that I wrote Ellsworth up immediately.

Now my problem is when I retired Ri I'll be in the same boat.

The following 3 users Like Sisse Thompsett's post:
   Aldous Crouch, Edward Macmillan, Prudence Browne

[Image: Xz1bS1e.png]
*sniff* Bee made her look all grown up <3
So I had a really vivid dream recently where characters were living their lives but I could hear the "narration" (me & friends writing them) playing over their day to day lives. I think it's my subconscious telling me I need more Charming time xD

The following 2 users Like Aldous Crouch's post:
   Edric Umbridge, Prudence Browne

— Aldous walks with a cane and pronounced limp as the result of a splinching accident. —
[Image: TrSGeWR.jpg]
— graphics by lady ❤ —
(September 15, 2018 – 12:35 PM)Aldous Crouch Wrote:  So I had a really vivid dream recently where characters were living their lives but I could hear the "narration" (me & friends writing them) playing over their day to day lives. I think it's my subconscious telling me I need more Charming time xD

I sometimes find myself daydreaming about the way a thread might go, and if there's ever dialogue in it, it's followed by dialogue tags as if it was a written piece rather than, say, a movie xD

The following 3 users Like Flora Mulciber's post:
   Lydia Lockhart, Marmaduke Warbeck, Prudence Browne

I don't really like threads with set posting orders, mostly because it's hard enough to hold realistic conversations (characters interrupting each other, etc.) in roleplaying. Adding a rule where a character has to have their post wedged between two characters conversing for the sake of posting orders seems clunky and unnatural and it makes it more difficult to read a thread imo. I'm all for starting off with posting orders, but the moment two characters get in a heated fight, addresses another character directly, etc. I feel it's like...fine...to break the order so it's more readable?

also because if I'm writing the third wheel character not involved in the ongoing exchange, my choices are writing some time-passing exposition post or having my character rudely interrupt a convo and that feels awkward, man.

The following 3 users Like Bella Scrimgeour's post:
   Lydia Lockhart, Marmaduke Warbeck, Prudence Browne

MJ is MAGICAL
I hate reading my own posts soOooOooOOoo much. So much that I will will only scan my last post's dialogue (and cringe, probably) unless their actions and thought process are relevant to the conversation/my next post. It's a very bad habit but I have this weird hatred for my own writing that will actively discourage me from writing the post I'm trying to finish because "somebody's going to have to read this bree, why would you make them suffer through this?"

The following 3 users Like Justice Rookwood's post:
   Eleanor Rigby, Imogen MacFusty, Leila Scott

we all know MJ is amazing but DAMN
(September 26, 2018 – 11:30 PM)Justice Rookwood Wrote:  I hate reading my own posts soOooOooOOoo much. So much that I will will only scan my last post's dialogue (and cringe, probably) unless their actions and thought process are relevant to the conversation/my next post. It's a very bad habit but I have this weird hatred for my own writing that will actively discourage me from writing the post I'm trying to finish because "somebody's going to have to read this bree, why would you make them suffer through this?"

omg I reread CONSTANTLY hahahah >.> like when I'm bored or going to bed XD

The following 1 user Likes Elsie Kirke's post:
   Reuben Crouch

[Image: Elsie-MJSig.png]
MJ always makes her so pretty
(September 27, 2018 – 12:15 AM)Elsie Beauregard Wrote:  
(September 26, 2018 – 11:30 PM)Justice Rookwood Wrote:  I hate reading my own posts soOooOooOOoo much. So much that I will will only scan my last post's dialogue (and cringe, probably) unless their actions and thought process are relevant to the conversation/my next post. It's a very bad habit but I have this weird hatred for my own writing that will actively discourage me from writing the post I'm trying to finish because "somebody's going to have to read this bree, why would you make them suffer through this?"

omg I reread CONSTANTLY hahahah >.> like when I'm bored or going to bed XD

a confession just 4 u: i have not reread febric in its entirety, only your posts :P

The following 1 user Likes Justice Rookwood's post:
   Elsie Kirke

we all know MJ is amazing but DAMN
I make new characters constantly because I'm afraid that if I don't, people will forget about me. It makes me feel better to have a million links to everyone because they'll be like Bubbles has so-and-so so she HAS to thread with me because they're fambly. I make characters with no ties to anyone and I don't know why. I'm even taking Arabella's mum at Thanksgiving (and killing her into a ghost) because I'm afraid no one wants to take her because she's related to one of my characters.

#thetruthisreallydeep

The following 2 users Like Arabella Wood's post:
   Bella Scrimgeour, Marmaduke Warbeck

[Image: xsVQr8.png]
made by the LOVELY MJ!
This is just a general writing confession, in hopes I am not alone in this, but: do you ever permanently connect a word to where you first read it, or a time you read it in something and it just weirdly stuck? It's similar to that weird sentimental thing of "this song always makes me think of a particular place/person/memory", but legit just like... it's a word.

This brought to you by the fact I just wrote 'mawkish' and instantly snapped back to Wuthering Heights. I can't read the word 'irascible' without thinking of Ron Weasley in DH. WORDS ARE WEIRD.

The following 3 users Like Elias Grimstone's post:
   Edric Umbridge, Elsie Kirke, Marmaduke Warbeck

look ANOTHER beautiful bee!set <3
(September 29, 2018 – 5:19 PM)Elias Grimstone Wrote:  This is just a general writing confession, in hopes I am not alone in this, but: do you ever permanently connect a word to where you first read it, or a time you read it in something and it just weirdly stuck? It's similar to that weird sentimental thing of "this song always makes me think of a particular place/person/memory", but legit just like... it's a word.

This brought to you by the fact I just wrote 'mawkish' and instantly snapped back to Wuthering Heights. I can't read the word 'irascible' without thinking of Ron Weasley in DH. WORDS ARE WEIRD.

I remember watching the movie Twilight when it came out (I was like 8, okay.) and I immediately thought it was weird in the narration when Bella Swan said, "And third, I was unconditionally and irrevocably in love with him." because (1) I was 8 and didn't know wtf the word "irrevocably" meant, and (2) it sounded so strange coming from a character whose lines were so simple and otherwise boring.

SO, in short, whenever I read/write that word I get flashbacks to Bella Swan staring out her bedroom window and it bothers me.

The following 3 users Like Edric Umbridge's post:
   Elias Grimstone, Elsie Kirke, Orinda Ruskin [Elaine]

set by MJ!
I'm musically minded so a lot of the time music is what drives my muse. If I can connect a plot or thread to even one song, I likely just need to listen to it to get some muse boost. The downside is that it also gives me ~ideas. Like "But I must admit it, that I would marry you in an instant Damn your wife, I'd be your mistress just to have you around" has me feeling some type of way and really really wanting an affairs plot. It's double edged, for sure. XD

Quote:Keeping one's hair down was often associated with prostitutes.

Sometimes I see character apps with the appearance being as their hair being loose, and I can't help but think of this and I start making concerned parent noises. *looks at Juniper's app* *starts making said concerned parent noises* What sort of 'wild wave' are you keeping that hair in Juniper? Hope it's an appropriate one young lady. XD

The following 4 users Like Acacia Darlington's post:
   Avril Lukeson, Bella Scrimgeour, Billie Farrow, Marmaduke Warbeck

Magic by Elaine!

It is always my first instinct to give my male characters blackthorn wands and my female characters hawthorn wands. I do not know where, when, why, or how I decided they were the #default, but it's ridiculous. I have to actively discourage myself from picking those wand woods, just like how I have to remind myself not all of my characters can have unicorn hair wands. :P

set by MJ!
(October 19, 2018 – 5:23 AM)Edric Umbridge Wrote:  It is always my first instinct to give my male characters blackthorn wands and my female characters hawthorn wands. I do not know where, when, why, or how I decided they were the #default, but it's ridiculous. I have to actively discourage myself from picking those wand woods, just like how I have to remind myself not all of my characters can have unicorn hair wands. :P

I actually can't stand wand searching for my characters. My anxiety makes me overthink the meanings behind each and every wand wood, and trying to skim makes me feel guilty because "I could have missed the perfect wand". Wand cores are even harder, especially if you don't know whether to go by the main three, or branch out to other known cores and fact checking to see if it's available for that character. Of the entire apping process, that is possibly the one section that I typically take the most time to decide on. Well, fighting for first place with the history (depending on the character).

Magic by Elaine!

I typically scroll through the 'who's online' when I'm bored but have no muse, and today I looked at Sirius Black's app and my eyes went right to the nickname section for some reason and I instantly thought "people might call him Siri to mess with him". Then I thought "oh wait, wrong time period". Now I'm thinking of that kid in modern day. This is something I do a lot, mostly with my own characters.

The following 1 user Likes Acacia Darlington's post:
   Bella Scrimgeour

Magic by Elaine!

View a Printable Version