Cbox
Chat
UPDATES
Did you know?
Charming has a number of lonely plots looking for love. Why not take a gander and see what hijinks your character can get up to? — Kayte ( Submit your own)
Featured Adoptable

A Governess for Leo Lupin.
The most pitied woman in all of Britain. Possibly all the world. He's awful.
"I'll bleed wherever I damn well please!" She shouted, scowling at him. As if to prove it, she uncovered her nose and shook her head back and forth like a dog attempting to dry its fur of water. Little droplets of blood rained on the sidewalk all willy-nilly. Billie Farrow in A Good Dusting
— Nominate a quote —
Featured Stamp
Participate in summer's Camp Charming!
>
<

Personal Delivery
Private 
February 16th, 1890 — Malfoy House, Wellingtonshire
He could have simply responded to November's letter with another of his own, Aldous knew, but the situation was such that he thought his sister might benefit from a more personal touch (and besides, the fewer letters that might be pilfered by a housmaid looking for some quick sickles from Witch Weekly, the better).

As such, shortly after receiving that afternoon's mail, Aldous dressed for the floo network, stepping into his hearth and exiting that of his sister and her husband in the entryway of their Wellingtonshire home. It was a matter of moments before a footman directed him towards the parlour where he found his sister.

"I thought if we were to converse," he offered with a smile, strained but warm, "that it might be more...efficient to do so face-to-face." 
— @November Malfoy/@Ursula Black

— Aldous walks with a cane and pronounced limp as the result of a splinching accident. —

— graphics by lady ❤ —
The news about Reuben had shaken Nova. He had gotten himself into many scrapes over the years and while they weren't the choices she would have made for herself, sometimes she admired him for his boldness but usually she fondly overlooked his blunders.

On this occasion, however, it was neither. He had eloped with someone he really oughtn't have and it was so much more serious than anything before. Perhaps naively, Nova couldn't believe he would have done such a thing. It was one thing to be silly and slightly self-destructive but he wasn't malicious, he wouldn't have ruined another person so callously, he was a good person and that was why he was infinitely forgivable. That left only two options: either the lady had schemed and lead him astray, or they had the sort of romance between them one read about and she had encouraged him to be selfish and run off with her. Either way she couldn't believe her brother had been entirely responsible.

The only way she'd ever know was from asking Reuben himself and meeting his bride, but at the moment she didn't know if her husband would approve of such a thing and doing things furtively was not her style at all.

Then perhaps the next best thing walked through her parlor door. "Aldous!" she rose to her feet to greet him. "I'm glad you've come."

[-] The following 2 users Like November Malfoy's post:
   Aldous Crouch, Ophelia Devine

Diligently, the wizard moved to kiss his sister on the cheek.

"I do wish it were under less...less daunting circumstances," Aldous admitted.
— @November Malfoy

— Aldous walks with a cane and pronounced limp as the result of a splinching accident. —

— graphics by lady ❤ —
"As do I." She meant it with all her heart. She wanted very much to write to Reuben but couldn't imagine how such a letter would go, especially when she knew so very little of the specifics of what had taken place. Nova was impatient to hear what Aldous had to say but didn't want to rush him.

He waited for his sister to reclaim her seat before taking one himself, all the while trying to figure out where to begin.

"Have you met the former Miss Finch?" he settled upon at last. After all, his brother's poor life choice had been among the upper echelons of society before; perhaps November had crossed paths with her, could shed some light into her temperament.
— @November Malfoy

— graphics by lady ❤ —
"I don't believe we've been introduced, but I do know of her." That didn't make things easier, if she at least had some insight into her personality it might make understanding what had happened easier. She was dismayed she couldn't offer more information to her brother, at least the impression she got was that he wasn't making aimless smalltalk about their brother's bride. "What do you know of her?" What she wanted to hear was that she wasn't a mean-spirited person, if there was any decency about her then there was at least some hope that Reuben didn't have a miserable marriage ahead of him. The way it had begun sadly did not inspire a great deal of optimism.

"Likely less than you, I'm afraid," Aldous replied with a rueful smile.

What did he know of the new Mrs. Crouch? She came from a family that cared, and threw all of that away to marry his brother. Aldous cared a great deal for Reuben, of course, but even he struggled to comprehend why any woman would run off with him! Perhaps she was pregnant?

"I have made the decision to secure a residence for them," he continued, "so that they might have somewhere proper for us to become better acquainted with her."
— @November Malfoy

— graphics by lady ❤ —
Nova was always in awe of the extent to which Aldous' patience and generosity extended. Many in his position would likely have cut Reuben off and had nothing further to do with him.

With a very serious and almost teary expression on her face, Nova stared dead into Aldous' eyes. "You are the most noble and valiant brother; the three of us, we are truly privileged to be your siblings." How many honorable deeds had he committed over the years? There were too many to count. The most notable to her, however, was how he'd courageously rescued her from the fire at great expense to himself and never once resented her for it. "I hope Callistus will be as devoted an older brother as you are."

[-] The following 1 user Likes November Malfoy's post:
   Aldous Crouch

"Yes, well," Aldous replied, touched, quite flustered, and wishing very much he wore spectacles so that he might polish them to have something practical to do with his hands while conjuring up a proper response to his sister's generous compliment. November had always made it easy for him to look after her, and Reuben had always made it necessary.
— @November Malfoy

— graphics by lady ❤ —
After a moment, Nova found the courage to ask one of the questions she'd been most keen to have answered. "How is our brother?" She feared whatever Aldous responded with would conflict with what she believed of him but she'd have to learn of it one way or another. Better for it to come from Aldous than someone else, perhaps even better than hearing it from Reuben himself. 

"I am honestly uncertain," the wizard admitted, unaccustomed to not having the answer to his sister's questions. "He seemed almost...resigned when he conveyed to me the news. I wish I knew better how to interpret it."
— @November Malfoy
[-] The following 2 users Like Aldous Crouch's post:
   Ophelia Devine, William Abbott

— graphics by lady ❤ —
Resigned? That was discouraging. That didn't sound like someone who had eloped because they were deeply in love and couldn't bear to be apart a moment longer. It did convince her still further that he couldn't have pressured Miss Finch into an elopement, why would he have pushed to elope if it wasn't what he wanted? Maybe he'd just been mistaken about thinking he wanted it and then realized that he really didn't, but she couldn't imagine Reuben being that fickle nor being so silly as to not know what he wanted in that regard. The obvious conclusion that did not occur to November was an elopement to cover up an inconvenient conception but she refused to entertain it even for a second.

The one thing she could definitely conclude was that this marriage had not made Reuben happy and no matter the circumstances that was the real tragedy. Solemnly, she concluded, "I think our brother is not the cause of this elopement, he does not sound as though he is glad of it."

[-] The following 1 user Likes November Malfoy's post:
   Ophelia Devine

Aldous had,of course, thought the hasty nuptials to be a rash and destructive decision, both of which had so long been in his brother's wheelhouse that even Reuben's energy when confessing the news had not given the wizard much cause to pause. November, though, had long since been a voice of reason to her elder brother, and so her words sparked an inkling in Aldous that would need a bit of time to nurture.

"You must admit that it is in his character, though," Aldous reminded her gently.
— @November Malfoy
[-] The following 1 user Likes Aldous Crouch's post:
   Ophelia Devine

— graphics by lady ❤ —
Her brow furrowed and she pursed her lips slightly as she was forced to contemplate her brother's response. Even Nova could not deny that Reuben at times made questionable life choices but never had she considered him to be malicious in his actions, just typically Gryffindorish. Harmful mostly to himself, sometimes it didn't reflect terribly well on the family but he'd never done anything like this before. Not that she was aware of anyhow.

But Nova wasn't one to disagree with Aldous, or really anyone if she could help it. "I think were he a more mean spirited person it would be, yes." She posed her response as delicately as she could. It wasn't a direct contradiction but she simply couldn't condemn her brother like that when she didn't believe it.

[-] The following 2 users Like November Malfoy's post:
   Melody Crouch, Ophelia Devine