Updates
Welcome to Charming
Welcome to Charming, the year is now 1894. It’s time to join us and immerse yourself in scandal and drama interlaced with magic both light and dark.

Where will you fall?

Featured Stamp

Add it to your collection...

Did You Know?
Queen Victoria was known for putting jackets and dresses on her pups, causing clothing for dogs to become so popular that fashion houses for just dog clothes started popping up all over Paris. — Fox
It would be easy to assume that Evangeline came to the Lady Morgana only to pick fights. That wasn't true at all. They also had very good biscuits.
Check Your Privilege

Challenging
Dear Mister Challenge,

I find myself intrigued by your description of yourself.  Such honesty and circumspection are to be lauded in any man, true or not. 

I am a young lady of 21, and independent means.  I seek a partner in life for the happiness that such a companionship and relations of love may bring, not out of any particular need to marry.  I say this, for I am an orphan, having lost both my parents by age 18, their passing might have robbed me of parental guidance in matters of matrimony but have left me comfortably appointed in matters of finance. 

While I am unsure as to whether my general interest in books- fiction and non fiction alike, may not meet your particular standards I would like to know you better.  Perhaps intrigue is a better start to ones acquaintance than flowery words and false modesty.

I look forward to perhaps corresponding with you again. 
Kindest Regards
Miss Up For A Challenge. 

Witch Weekly

[Image: wl0I79B.jpg]
Lady is a wonder
Miss Porphyria Dempsey,

Witch Weekly is pleased to inform you that your recent submission to our Lonely Hearts article has generated a response. Witch Weekly is devoted to providing help to all of our readers, no matter what their social disadvantages, and we are delighted to provide this service to the lovelorn in our magical community. We hope that you will be able to create a happy ending with our help, instead of being doomed to a tragically lonely life.

Please see the enclosed letter and advise us whether you will need your advertisement repeated in further issues of our magazine.
Y. Ventus
Editor in Chief
Witch Weekly

Porphyria Dempsey

The following 2 users Like Witch Weekly's post:
   Aldous Crouch, Ophelia Devine
unsent

WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK IS —

sent

February, 1890

Miss,

Although I cannot disagree about the value of a little intrigue, I think you have quite underestimated the extent of the challenge here. You will find it quite difficult to make the acquaintance of one such as I. For one, I live alone - in the remotest of countryside - and do not open up my home to visitors lightly. For I am an orphan, too, and have long since lived a most picturesque and solitary life. Perhaps I do long for a companion —

But loss and tragedy have surrounded me these years, and you thus understand why I should beware of inviting an innocent into the fold? Perhaps my advertisement was a terrible mistake.

Mr. Challenge

//handwriting may not be her usual as at this point in time Phyri may still be a wren

The following 2 users Like Porphyria Dempsey's post:
   Aldous Crouch, Ophelia Devine

Dear Challenge

How solemn and melancholy a life you seem to lead.  I would say that it is not a mistake for in the very least you might make a friend who might hear some of your troubles and provide a perspective from the outside, for it sounds rather like you are terribly isolated - and you never know true affection may blossom even within such adversity and how rare an affection that may prove to be  -as my Grandmother would have said 'As god makes us he matches us' - and it only in being open that one could hope to find affection. 

Is it too bold to ask the nature of your tragedy?

Kindly,
Miss UFAC

Porphyria Dempsey

Lady is a wonder
February, 1890

Miss,

Enough time spent in melancholy does change sorrow to comfort; such solemnity is now my natural habitat. But even the most isolated chamber might have a window which looks out upon the world, and if some stranger should happen to pass beneath it, I suppose I should be fortunate to call out to them, and find a brief spark of company. It does me harm to think on the tragedies of my past, and I should not place the burden of such torment on one such as you, brave, bold and honest soul that you seem. Permit me to say you also seem a wise soul for twenty-one, with wise words: though, if you indeed have lost your parents, it is not so surprising a thought, and clearly tragedy - villain that it is - has not spared you either, which I am most sorry for.

And you too seek companionship, you say. My hopes are tempered, for the time, but I should be much obliged to a window into another's brighter, blossoming life, however briefly... might you write me something more about yourself? Your letter would be a light in all this darkness.

C.

//handwriting may not be her usual as at this point in time Phyri may still be a wren

Dear C.
I hope to offer you any comfort that might be found in mere letters, and am flattered greatly that you think that a life such as my modest existence might offer anything like comfort or happiness to another. I do not pretend to be good at easing a tortured soul, and I have never had experience in that capacity, my life, as I have been reasonably informed has been charmed in many regards. While I have lost my parents my life is my own, I have few to answer to and fewer still who would care.

But, I will tell you what you seek to know, and I hope it gives you the comfort you seek. I am a creature of the outdoors, my love is for plants and all things growing sustains me like sunlight and water sustains a flower. I take great pride and plesaure in coaking life from soil and cold clay. Although while my endeavours are all beautiful, for all things that come from the earth are, in their own way things of beauty, I hope to provide utility through the endeavours. I breed and create plants that can be used in potions and alchemical works, or that are useful in the arts of healing. There are limited ways in this life that a woman might take pride in the labour of her hands, but in my plants I find myself fulfilled in that regard.

What is it you take pride in sir? For I can tell by your writing that there must be something in which you take personal pleasure in the midst of so much darkness.

Miss B

Lady is a wonder
March, 1890

Miss B.,

You may not know how many a tortured soul you speak to, for I think not all are so forthright and plain about it as I. But your efforts are promising, and I would bid you continue to write, if you are willing.

I envy your free life to hear you speak of it; I feel as though I have made myself a prison of my own making. But though my life is lonely, I am not lacking in things with which to surround myself. I suppose I should say I take pleasure in collecting: collecting all sorts. I have gardens to roam in too, for that matter, and a collection of plants and flowers in my grasp, though I pretend not to be the expert cultivator that you are. I did know someone who loved the gardens, once.

What is your favourite plant or flower, pray? Perhaps I will go a-hunting; perhaps I have even overlooked the species on my very doorstep.

C.

Dear C.
For local flowers I would need to know which part of England you live, but in most of the forested areas at this times of you can guess that Galanthus and crocus would be abundant and most beautiful, and the fact that they are natural, unplanted, unbidden in most areas and impossible to prevent makes them all the more lovely to my mind.

Would it be too bold to ask what it is that makes your life as desolute as you seem to think?

With Kindness
B.

Lady is a wonder
March, 1890

Miss B.,

Ah, these wild winter flowers, springing up so unexpectedly and so sweetly in spite of their inhospitable surroundings! I must agree with you on that. Thanks to you, I went out a-wandering - a little further than usual - and felt a little more hope.

So I will repay your compassion with some kind of answer here. I once travelled freely, had the world in my grasp and loved ones waiting for me at home. I should never have returned, that time: but I did, and I brought a terrible curse with me, one that has left me half-haunted in my own home.

If I told you the full extent of it, I am certain you would not write again. Open-minded and open-hearted as you are, I understand it. I would not wish the fate of those who knew me on a kind stranger such as you.

C.

Dear C.
Growing things make all the world a little brighter

That sounds truly tragic, and I'm sorry for such misfortune that has been visted upon you. I assure you that I made of sterner stuff than you might imagine, and if either at this distance, or in person you are in need of a friend please count me amoung them. It is sometimes easier to wear your heart on your sleeve when you are not looking in someones eyes.

I've included something of a modest gift, may it help illuminate your darkness

B.

P.s Don't put it in your bedroom!

Included with the letter is small magical flower pot (effectively self sustaining), that will grow a magical flower that glows in the dark.

Lady is a wonder

View a Printable Version