Updates
Welcome to Charming
Welcome to Charming, the year is now 1894. It’s time to join us and immerse yourself in scandal and drama interlaced with magic both light and dark.

Where will you fall?

Featured Stamp

Add it to your collection...

Did You Know?
Queen Victoria was known for putting jackets and dresses on her pups, causing clothing for dogs to become so popular that fashion houses for just dog clothes started popping up all over Paris. — Fox
It would be easy to assume that Evangeline came to the Lady Morgana only to pick fights. That wasn't true at all. They also had very good biscuits.
Check Your Privilege

Private
Noël
December 25th, 1889 — Keene Residence
43 Thimblewhit Turn, N. Bartonburg, Hogsmeade
"You are a regular detective, I'd wager," the witch remarked dryly, stifling a laugh at her husband's ascertain that the unopened gift he now held must be a book. Both Keenes knew that such a gift would be decidedly in Odira's nature.

Christmas morning was drawing swiftly to a close, and in fact, it was simply Odira's last parcel for Baxter that remained a mystery. Jamie was entirely engaged by his new quidditch figurines, and each of the girls had a doll crafted in their likeness to distract them from the boring adults in the room.

"Go on, then," she prodded. "You'll never know which book until you've opened it!"
Baxter Keene

If I could marry Bee I would but I can't so I ship our characters instead.
Though Baxter was well aware of the fact that he was stepping into an established family with children, and more than willing to assume the role as parent in their little lives, he had absolutely no idea how chaotic Christmas was with small children. Sure, he'd seen his nieces and nephews during the holidays, but realized he had never actually witnessed the carnage that children caused at the crack of dawn on Christmas morning. It was delightfully chaotic and though he was almost overwhelmed at first, he warmed up to the excitement quite easily.

Everything had been opened, the children seemed pleased with their respective hauls, thanks to his lovely wife and her dedication to the task (one he was not very good with himself) and things seemed to slowly settle as Jameson, Elspeth and Jane were contentedly playing, Baxter turned his full attention back to his wife. His only responsibility been to see to Odira's gifts, of which he was thankful for Mrs. Parker's help, because he was a terrible gift-giver. Judging by the present in hand, clearly Odira stuck to what she knew.

The parcel was clearly a book of some kind, Baxter expected no less, but as his wife expertly pointed out, he would never know which title he held until he unwrapped it. "Well," He chuckled. "Here we go then." Carefully he slid off the ribbon holding on plain brown paper and let it slip to the floor. He'd managed to open it upside down and carefully flipped it over in hand to inspect the cover.

[Image: 33xh0N.png]
I may never actually change this set by MJ
Because of how he had opened it, Odira caught a glimpse at the title before Baxter did, the embossed, silver letters on the leather cover catching in the candlelight from the Christmas tree.

On Fatherhood.
Baxter Keene

The volume itself was not particularly large, but it suddenly felt very heavy as he realized what it was about.

Fatherhood.

A tricky position he had found himself taking over when he and Odira had married, stepping in as step-father to Jane and guardian to Jameson and Elspeth, but one of his own?

He balked initially, but the nerves were quickly outweighed by joy and he broke out into a wide grin. His excitement was clear on his features when he asked, "You're expecting?" Just to make sure he wasn't reading into something that wasn't there, but then again he doubted Odira would do that to him. It was so very in character for her to tell him with a book.

From his position beside her on the couch, he reached to take her hand and gave it a gentle squeeze. "I will humbly request that a midwife deliver this one." He glanced quickly at Jane, her entrance to the world was forever implanted in Baxter's brain, for a myriad of reasons and he'd rather leave it to someone more experienced this time.

The following 1 user Likes Baxter Keene's post:
   Odira Keene

"Indeed I am," Odira answered, a wide grin echoing her husband's before his next comment caused her to break into laughter instead. The last time she had birthed a child, it had been that of her late husband...and Jane had been delivered right into Baxter's arms. As a healer, he was not altogether unqualified, she knew it was not an experience he was particularly keen to replicate!

"In the summer, if I'm not terribly mistaken," she added once she had calmed down slightly, tears of laughter having pricked in her eyes.
Baxter Keene

Pleased to see his own amusement matched by his wife, Baxter chuckled right along with Odira as she clearly found his request worth the laugh. He meant it both seriously and in jest. Fortunately this time, he highly suspected this next arrival would not be quite so unexpected. Bax would also think better of letting Odira wander on her own near the due date.

"Summer it is then." The grin on his face would no doubt be a permanent fixture for the rest of the day. Kitty was going to be beside herself with the news, as would his mother. "And you're feeling well?" Ever the healer, he had to make extra sure with his lovely wife.

"I daresay, Darling, that you would have noticed very quickly were I not," Odira answered warmly, reaching to take his hand.
Baxter Keene

Giving their joined hands a gentle squeeze, Baxter smiled at her implications, but also knew she probably knew that wasn't entirely true. As in tune as Bax tried to be with his wife and family, he did still work long hours and was fairly new to this whole marriage thing, still less than a year in after all. He liked to think he would notice, but he was also pretty realistic about his capabilities as a husband.

"Let's hope it stays that way then." Though head been there to deliver Jane, he was still quite inexperienced in the whole pregnancy thing. Thankfully this was not Odira's first and he trusted would know how everything was supposed to go. "Do let me know if anything changes." Kitty was an easy consult, but he also had access to the best healers and midwives in the area.

The following 1 user Likes Baxter Keene's post:
   Odira Keene

"Really, you mustn't worry," she chided good-naturedly. "We shall both be well, of that I am certain."

After all, it was unlikely to be kidnapped during two pregnancies in a row.
Baxter Keene

Little did Odira know, that Bax would probably never be at ease again after this. He was however, pretty good at keeping it in check and hopefully would keep his worries from her. "Ah well, you would know better than I would." She had quite survived the last one alright, under incredible duress, no less. Even the delivery, though unconventional, had been without major medical incident.

"I will do my best." He assured her with a wry smile. It was all he could promise right about now.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
View a Printable Version