Updates
Welcome to Charming
Welcome to Charming, the year is now 1894. It’s time to join us and immerse yourself in scandal and drama interlaced with magic both light and dark.

Where will you fall?

Featured Stamp

Add it to your collection...

Did You Know?
Queen Victoria was known for putting jackets and dresses on her pups, causing clothing for dogs to become so popular that fashion houses for just dog clothes started popping up all over Paris. — Fox
It would be easy to assume that Evangeline came to the Lady Morgana only to pick fights. That wasn't true at all. They also had very good biscuits.
Check Your Privilege

*N/A*
Character Ideas I Shouldn't Make
So, this is sort of a cross between "adoptable plots" and the "did you know?" thread, because sometimes when I'm researching things in the HPverse I come across little tidbits that are fascinating. I super don't need more characters, of course, and I'm not suggesting that you all do, but... well, maybe when you have that next omg-I-can't-resist idea, you can combine it with one of these and have it be even more awesome. Wink

The Buchanan family, consisting of parents + 11 offspring, are Scottish witches and wizards of exceptionally large builds. One of them is a squib with a pretty extensive Pottermore backstory who is currently a Scottish rugby player and will go on to make the sport popular among wizards, as unlikely as that sounds, by 1902.

Also even if no one plays any Buchanans ever, the Angus Buchanan Sorting ordeal happened sometime in the 1850s-60s (depending on how old he was when the Rugby Cup happened in 1871) which means your characters can reference it IC. Some of them might have even witnessed it. You're welcome.

The following 1 user Likes Ophelia Devine's post:
   Oberon Smethwyck
(March 20, 2018 – 12:39 AM)Ophelia Dippet Wrote:  One of them is a squib with a pretty extensive Pottermore backstory who is currently a Scottish rugby player and will go on to make the sport popular among wizards, as unlikely as that sounds, by 1902.

I think someone was angling for them once before but Declan Wood wasn't super comfy having a real person played?

If I could marry Bee I would but I can't so I ship our characters instead.
I totally get that (and I don't think there would be much/any threadding opportunities for a squib who lives in the non-Irvingly part of Scotland anyway) but the rest of the fam would be pretty fun.

Also this thread is just generally here to collect all the things I find, not just the one about Scottish Rugby xD

Odira Keene
One of the ideas I kick around every six months is: veela who lives in the woods and lures men to their death
...not a whole lot of threading opportunities but man

The following 4 users Like Cassius Lestrange's post:
   Acacia Darlington, Declan Wood, Odira Keene, Ophelia Devine

MJ made this!
I was reading through the Wizard of the Month page on the HP Wiki and stumbled across this gem:
Quote:September 2006 - Hambledon Quince (1936 - present): Author of controversial theory that wizards originate from Mars, Muggles from mushrooms

Someone should totally make a magical theorist who publishes the wackiest theories related to magic that the Daily Prophet or Witch Weekly can have a field day with every now and then. Better if he/she gathers followers for the belief!

The following 2 users Like Bella Scrimgeour's post:
   Basil Foxwood, Prudence Browne

MJ is MAGICAL
I was scrolling through various web pages and stumbled across one of those high school projects for "Build A Country" and it got me thinking about all the things in the real world that they'd likely have in the magical world, albeit slightly different because obviously times, technology, and the entire existence of magic make it different.

However, I did stumble across some things on the HP Wiki that would awesome to have:
  • A wizard who runs a company like GalloLoans, which has ridiculous interest rates. For collateral, they could force their loaners to offer things like their homes, pets, or maybe even risk having a certain spell take effect if they don't pay their loans back on time! Maybe a character got transfigured into a talking cat permanently because he couldn't pay back the loan he took out :P
  • We also have regulatory agencies in the real world that act somewhat independent from the government to tell us what sort of levels of chemicals we can have in our food and whatnot. The wizarding world also has mentions of things like The Ministry of Herbology and The Ministry of Divine Health, and it would be cool to have those sorts of things on-site.
  • Characters who run political PAC-like organizations that have certain goals in mind? Goblin welfare? Less broomstick regulation? Things of that nature? Seems like a fun idea to me, especially if certain Ministry officials are caught supporting or doing business with less-than-popular ones!

The following 3 users Like Albert Pettigrew's post:
   Declan Wood, Marmaduke Warbeck, Prudence Browne

fabulous set by the fabulous Lady
Post Log
This idea bounces around in my head periodically but I can't really combine it with anything to make a functional character: someone who works in the Spirit Division of the DRCMC whose primary job is issuing restraining orders against ghosts, and/or conducting wizarding exorcisms to force hostile spirits out of a certain house/area/whatever.

The following 5 users Like Reuben Crouch's post:
   Aldous Crouch, Cassius Lestrange, Declan Wood, Killian Tabiner, Prudence Browne

MJ made this <3
I stumbled across this gem:
Quote:‘I will give the years in which [these strange names] have been met with,  and I find, to make a start, a girl registered in 1847, ‘Is it Maria’; 1853, ‘Napoleon the Great’;  1857, ‘Robert Alma Balaclava Inkerman Sebastopol Delhi’; 1860, ‘Arthur  Wellesley Wellington Waterloo’; 1861, ‘Not Wanted James’;  1863, ‘Jerome Napoleon Edward Henry John’ (this an illegitimate  child born in a workhouse); 1865, ‘Edward Byng  Tallyho Forward’,  1870, ‘One Too Many’; 1877, ‘Peter the  Great’, and ‘William the Conqueror’, twins ; 1883, ‘Richard  Coeur de Lion Tyler Walter; 1886, ‘That’s it who’d have thought it’, 1887, ‘Laughing Waters’.

Someone should make a character who 1. had parents were either illiterate and didn't know how to spell names, 2. had a doctor or whatever who was stupid when filling out the birth certificate so their official name is "It Is Maria", or 3. parents who gave them names that totally didn't fit their status.

The following 1 user Likes Bella Scrimgeour's post:
   Prudence Browne

MJ is MAGICAL
"Demimondes" were a sort of prostitute that lived the high life instead of in shady brothels and on the streets. They lived on the fringes of the upper class and were not considered respectable by any means, but they did live luxurious lives—much in part due to their wealthy lovers who showered them with gifts and experiences.

They were often famed for their beauty and charm, though not all had charm. Many times, these ladies would end up penniless and on the streets once their beauty faded and they found they were incapable of securing new lovers or a husband to take her in. They were typically depicted as women who lived hedonistic lifestyles by partaking in gambling, drugs, drinking, and sexual promiscuity.

On Charming, all the ladies who seem to fit this description tend to be socialites that do this in secret, but there should totally be ones that started from the bottom and made their way to the top and are openly like this.

The following 2 users Like Bella Scrimgeour's post:
   Marmaduke Warbeck, Prudence Browne

MJ is MAGICAL
A fifteen/sixteen year old WC girl who wants very badly to not live her life in poverty, and has decided the best way to do that is to marry out. How is she going to attract a gent of the middle class? Snag a professor. Cue hilarious threads of her stalking/trying to seduce said professor.

An older widower who has a lot of those wizarding portraits in his home and spends a lot of time talking to/arguing with deceased relations. At some point he decides he wants to remarry, but his potential bride has to "meet" his parents first... and all her predecessors as Mrs. Whomever.

A character who accidentally murdered a family member, and a second one who helped them cover it up in the heat of the moment, both now tortured by guilt and bound by secrets.

/reading too much true crime

The following 2 users Like Ophelia Devine's post:
   Cassius Lestrange, Prudence Browne
(March 20, 2018 – 12:59 AM)Cassius Lestrange Wrote:  One of the ideas I kick around every six months is: veela who lives in the woods and lures men to their death
...not a whole lot of threading opportunities but man

My twisted brain turned this into a female serial killer who lives in Hogsmeade and murders men in he woods and blames it on 'Veela in the woods' - like spingheel Jack or something.

[Image: Dbtxh6S.png]
Wonders by Bee
A disgraced former portkey office employee who's new form of income is decidedly under the table: illegal portkeys.

The following 4 users Like Maeve Connolly's post:
   Edric Umbridge, Marmaduke Warbeck, Ophelia Devine, Prudence Browne

#PrettiesByMJ
(November 18, 2018 – 12:43 PM)Maeve Connolly Wrote:  A disgraced former portkey office employee who's new form of income is decidedly under the table: illegal portkeys.

Ben could be responsible for like 40% of this guy's income with his love of travel and his being on the portkey no-fly list. Wink BUT ANYWAY.

A 10 year old who has only arrived in England to establish residency for Hogwarts next year, after having been raised abroad by their ex-pat parent who is notorious for committing a heinous crime, but fled to a country that doesn't have an extradition agreement with magical England and is just out there living their best Roman Polanski life.

In my head there is some sort of concerted effort by the auror department to use the kid as bait to lure the parent back into the country and their reputation starts off at like, two.

The following 2 users Like Ophelia Devine's post:
   Aldous Crouch, Prudence Browne
A character whose occupation is "cleansing" people from curses. Most of their customers are just paranoid and they do some faith-healing style guesswork and some hand-waving and collect their fee. Occasionally someone comes in who is actually cursed and they're like "awh shit now I have to research what to do about this, I hate reading..."

Basil Foxwood

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Jemima Greengrass
August 27, 2021 – 5:18 PM
Last Post by Reuben Crouch
December 30, 2020 – 8:39 PM
View a Printable Version