Cbox
Chat
Did you know?

Fern-hunting parties became popular, allowing young women to get outside in a seemingly innocuous pursuit with less rigid oversight and chaperoning than they saw in parlors and drawing rooms. They may have even had the occasional romantic meetup with a similarly fern-impassioned beau. — Bree

— Submit your own —
WANTED:

Bunny Devon for Anne Devon. My fair lady of the night
Separating was also not a great idea, though they weren't doing great at staying together anyway. If she were to volunteer to be the human sacrifice.. well... Hogsmeade had plenty of debutantes anyway...

Barnabas Skeeter in CYOA: Group D

— Nominate a quote —
Well-Traveled

Complete threads set in ten different forum locations. Threads must have at least ten posts, and three must be your own. Character accounts cannot be combined.

<
>

My Life Is Over
March 18th
Phyri,

You cannot possibly believe the misfortune that has befallen me since we last spoke. I went to the street fair (and had hoped to see you there, but perhaps we went on different days?) and was solicited by this old hag of an irish witch to try something dreadful called hand-fasting, and I suppose in the Muggle world it is merely a symbolic ordeal, but I've ended up with my hand actually tied to a man's — a Mr. Bixby, who plays for... oh, I don't know, Puddlemere, I think. He was in my year in Hogwarts but I really don't know much about him, but of course we've been spending all sorts of time together over the past day because we haven't any choice and now there are all sorts of rumors floating about, and then Witch Weekly — my very own Witch Weekly, can you imagine a crueler twist of fate, a more complete betrayal? — has run some ridiculous piece of speculation about the two of us being long-lost Hogwarts sweethearts.

Worst of all, there's some speculation in the article about why I left school in the first place — though everyone who was there at the time knows it was for family reasons — and they said I might have been with child! At fourteen, can you imagine? It's so ridiculous I hardly even know what to say to refute it, but I'm terribly worried that someone will believe this rubbish. You don't think Mr. Devine will, do you? Surely he's far too sensible for that! I know of course that he doesn't read Witch Weekly but I must imagine that this will get around to him sooner or later (and if his mother reads it I may well have entirely destroyed any goodwill built up on that front) and now I simply don't know what to do. I can hardly go and see him to try and make amends when I still have Mr. Bixby hanging off my finger tips!

You don't think he'll call off the wedding, do you? I am in such a state this morning that I don't know what to think. Of course I shall be resigning my position at that horrible magazine, just as soon as I can think straight enough to compose a decent letter!

Oh, Phyri! I could simply die! What shall I do if Mr. Devine does want to call off the wedding?

Ophelia

is it a crime to love too well?
To bear too tender, or too firm a heart, to act a lover's or a Roman's part?
Is there no bright reversion in the sky, for those who greatly think, or bravely die?
Get Featured in Witch Weekly!
18th March, 1888

Dear Ophelia,

Now, now, now, you must know Irish traditions are not the sort of thing to be trifled with. We Irish folk take our superstitions seriously.

No, but that was a dreadful cruel trick to play on you! And I should like to find that woman and give her a piece of my mind for it. As for this Mr. Bixby - I hold out hope that by the time you receive this letter in return you will have been freed of that Utter Hell, but if not - I am more than willing to come by and chop off his hand if it helps. I needn't use magic, if magic has failed you thus far.

I am sure that would be enough to stem the rumours. Not that you should pay any mind to the rumours at all! It sounds like pure nonsense, and far too outlandish for people in society to believe it! (...Although I suppose society sorts are not the pinnacle of our race, and so perhaps may lack the brains to dismiss it.) But you are quite right about Mr. Devine, of that I am sure! His family and friends must have the common sense between them not to trust such trash, and he is not like to believe whispers of scandal from anyone else. The best person to address these sorts of rumours must be you, yourself... but if you can avoid doing so at all, so much the better. Besides, I am induced to think this will blow over, for isn't Witch Weekly bursting with new scandal every week?

You must be calm about this, O. Remember how sickeningly happy you have been and how awfully endeared Mr. Devine is to you - the worst outcome of this should merely be that the wedding must be postponed, and certainly nothing more severe. I am almost convinced the man would marry you even with Mr. Bixby attached to you, so you mustn't fret. (I rather hope you weren't hoping to weave handfasting into your ceremony, because, well...)

I reiterate again that I half-expect the ordeal to be quite over by the time you receive this, but if it is not, you must let me know if there is anything that I can do for you, for I shall do it at once! I can visit you at home, if you like - forgive me for not offering to hold your hand through it, for I fear that is in bad taste. I wasn't joking about hacking off his, though.

Be assured that I am
thinking of you,
Porphyria

[-] The following 2 users Like Porphyria Dempsey's post:
   Ophelia Devine, Roberto Devine

March 19th
Phyri,

The Ministry was indeed able to detach us at last, though I appreciate most dearly your offer of chopping off his hand. I am certain he could learn to play Quidditch with one hand; I am less certain that Mr. Devine would wish to marry me were I trailing around a hand, bloody at the wrist and still glued at the fingertips! And while it might stop the rumors of my supposed elopement, I should think it would start all kinds of other rumors.

I have written Mr. Devine, though I have not yet heard back — but I am feeling at least a little optimistically about the whole situation, now that I am free of Mr. Bixby. If it comes down to it I can floo to Wellingtonshire and throw myself at his feet in contrition — which would have been quite impossible, I think, with that oaf on my arm.

I have written, also, to divest myself entirely of my association with that cursed magazine, and I hope I never so much as see another issue of it again!

Ophelia

Is there no bright reversion in the sky, for those who greatly think, or bravely die?
July 1st
Phyri,

Mr. Devine and I retired to Ireland when the fog reached Hogsmeade, as I think you knew, and although the estate could not be more lovely I am deliriously bored out here so far away from all my friends, and without hardly a party to attend. I mention this not to complain (as I'm sure you must be feeling similarly, being so cut off from Hogsmeade and all those that live there) but rather to excuse what I tell you next, as the act of a desperate mind in search of any sort of stimulation: I have been reading Witch Weekly again.

I did actually leave off for a good while after I was married, so it wasn't entirely an empty threat, but I could hardly cut myself off from society entirely when the fog set in, and so I have been keeping up with it through the month of June and now into July. They seem to have moved on to other matters and left my supposed affair with Mr. Bixby out of their pages, but this week there was an absurd rumor that I had been spotted in The Hog's Head, of all places, with a man!

You don't think anyone will be daft enough to believe that, do you? I'm not even in Hogsmeade, and if I was I certainly shouldn't choose someplace so terribly low brow for my supposed trysts! Do you think they included that just to be mean-spirited about my having left, or did someone actually think they saw me there?
Ophelia

2nd July, 1888

Dear Ophelia,

Well you must come and visit me more often then! Why should you need another cure to boredom than me?

Even better, I should come to visit you, for you and Mr. Devine don't have a relentless tribe of siblings to endure on the daily. Suffice it to say, I do understand your ennui. I very nearly signed up for that expedition into the fog, if only for something to do; but I heard whispers of the Ministry planning to send people off in groups, and I didn't fancy my patience with all the other oddballs and nincompoops who probably signed up. Frankly, I don't fancy my patience in groups.

So Witch Weekly was almost next on my list, too. No, I'm kidding of course - I would not read it if it were the last piece of literature ("literature") on earth. And you had been doing so well, darling! I wish I had sent a Howler, if only so you could hear me tutting at you. I'm tutting right now.

...I confess I am intrigued about the Hog's Head rumour too, though. No fool could believe that, particularly not if they are acquainted with you, for they will have received all your invitations and non-invitations as per the fog, and not all of society has the memory of a goldfish. I do wonder why they didn't try harder to make it plausible, if they were trying to sully your name. After all, you might've been alone in the Leaky Cauldron with a man. Or - I'm certain there are far worse inns in Knockturn Alley. Why, they should let me write their falsehoods for them - at least I'd be logical about it!

Did they mention a particular man? Clearly I'm not asking because I believe a whit of it - and nor will anyone else who matters - but I wonder whether there mightn't be a bigger mystery at hand. I am almost tempted to go investigating at the Hog's Head, see if I can't find you an accidental doppelganger! I wouldn't even mind going into the fog for it; it could be my own personal expedition. I'm not even entirely sure I'm joking!

I can't believe you're tempting me with Witch Weekly drivel, but nevertheless, I hope, at least, to
see you soon,
Porphyria

[-] The following 1 user Likes Porphyria Dempsey's post:
   Ophelia Devine

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Social Life Maimed by Fog Caroline Delaney 1 25 July 4, 2018 – 2:11 PM
Last Post: Felicity Adlard